PDA

View Full Version : Will Sugar be alright???

Freedom
01-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Sugar got into a bag of Hershey's cherry cordial kisses.

They are yummy, but they are CHOCOLATE!

She ate about a dozen. Any ideas what I should do, if anything???

Twisterdog
01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Call and ask your vet, or an emergency vet.

Dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate.

From personal experience ... my RB basset hound ate a big Valentine's heart-shaped box full of chocolate once. Not just the chocolate, mind you, but the box, the ribbon, the plastic flowers ... everything. And it was a BIG box. :eek:

I took her to the vet, of course, but she was perfectly fine, not even the slightest bit ill in any way.

Freedom
01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks, I was researching on line as well. I think she will be OK, maybe some diarrhea tomorrow.

This is the link I found:
http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

And from the Hershey's kiss site, 9 kisses are 41 grams total so not all of that can be theobromine.

Silly girl, scaring me like this!

Cinder & Smoke
01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Act *QUICKLY* if you're going to act ...

Calculat HOW MUCH she ate - look at the box for it's "net weight" ...
then divide that weight by the total number of pieces in the full box =
= the "weight per piece"

Multiply the "weight per piece" by the number of pieces *missing* or that you
think she ate = the weight of Chocolate + Filling that was consumed.

Now call either Your Vet of the closest Emergency Vet or Clinic -
Give them the Dog's Weight and the weight of chocolate you think she ate.

Within 4 hours, you can induce vomiting to purge her stomach.

How is chocolate toxicity treated?
If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate (more than the stray chocolate chip
that fell on the floor), call your veterinarian for advice. The toxicity of Theobromine is dose dependent (http://www.frii.com/%7Ephouka/dogs/dog_choc.html).
This means that the size of your pet, the type of chocolate, and quantity of chocolate
determine if or how toxic it is for your pet.

There is no specific antidote for Theobromine toxicity.

Medical treatmentis supportive, and may include all or some of the following:

IV fluids - to prevent dehydration from vomiting, diarrhea, and /or increased urination, and to "flush" the Theobromine out of the system.
Emetics - medications that induce vomiting. Used when the ingestion of chocolate is within 4 hours. Up to 6-8 hours post chocolate ingestion may be effective.
Activated charcoal - for ingestion greater than 4 hours prior to treatment, or for patients that show continued signs of toxicity.
Anti-seizure medications - for patients having seizures and/or muscle tremors.
Cardiac medications - for patients exhibiting irregular heart rates or rhythms.
READ >>>>
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm

To induce vomiting:
http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/induce-vomiting.html

Scroll down towards the bottom ...
How To Induce Vomiting:

Let's work on the How of inducing vomiting in dogs who have swallowed something dangerous.
You want to make it as easy as possible for your dog to vomit.
Some food in her stomach will make it easier for her.
Feed her a slice of bread or a few crackers.
Or try a tablespoon or two of dog food if you don't feed her "human" food.

Follow these steps.

Into a small bowl, glass or mug, pour some three percent hydrogen peroxide from the bottle in your dog first aid kit
(see Dog First Aid Supplies (http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/dog-first-aid-supplies.html) for more information on creating a dog first aid kit) or from the bathroom.
Using the 10 cc syringe (http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/induce-vomiting.html#) from the kit, draw up about 3 cc's for every 20 pounds (approximately 9 kg) of your dog's weight.
Open her mouth slightly and insert the end of the syringe. Squirt a steady stream of the hydrogen peroxide
toward the back of her mouth, which will force her to swallow it.
Wait ten minutes. If she hasn't yet started to vomit, repeat steps 2 and 3.
Call your vet immediately if she doesn't vomit after the second dose.

Freedom
01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Called the ER vet, we are OK! WHEW!

Taz_Zoee
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
My mom's RB Min Pin ate a half bag of chocolate chips and we took him to the ER vet. They gave him the activated charcoal and he was fine. The only reaction he had was his little heart was racing. Felt like it was going to beat out of his chest.
Our RB Cocker somehow got into the fridge out in the garage and ate from a dish of brownies I had put in to cool. No trip to the ER and he was fine. I just kept an eye on him. He did not have the racing heart or any effects.

It sounds like you've got it handled. And I will be hoping Sugar will be fine. Hey Sugar....no sugar for you!!! Especially chocolate!!!

cassiesmom
01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh, Miss Sugar! You gave us a scare!

Freedom
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Phred, those are exactly the steps the person at the ER vet had me go through.

Total package = 10 oz
Serving size: 9 pieces
Servings per package: 7
So 63 pieces in the package. (Who knew there are 63 pieces in those bags???)

10 oz = 63 pieces
1 oz = 6 pieces
2 oz = 12 pieces which is what I think she ate ( I know it wasn't more than 12 left in the package).

Then she asked me if they are milk or dark chocolate? milk chocolate. I never even told her they were solid kisses, they were filled with the cherry cordial.
How much does Sugar weigh? About 12 to 14 pounds.

So she had 2 ounces or less, she may have some upset tummy. Not a toxic amount, so no need to bring her in. And it will take 17 hours to work out of her system.

From that web site I listed above:
For a 15 pound dog, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.
AND THIS:
Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion.

I had all the info I needed, just didn't know what to do with it. Phred, by the time you posted, I'd already called the ER. Nevertheless, THANK YOU for all the info!

K9karen
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Sugar sure is living up to her name!

Relieved she's OK! *Whhheeewwww*

Daisy and Delilah
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
What a scare, Sandie!!! This thread is some valuable info for the future for all of us. I need to save it. Kisses to Sugar from me please!!! Tell her she's sweet enough, no more chocolate!!:eek:

luvofallhorses
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I am so glad she's okay! :)

Pam
01-08-2009, 05:20 AM
Sugar sure is living up to her name!

Relieved she's OK! *Whhheeewwww*

LOL! LOL! Sugar has a sweet tooth! :D Of course I can make jokes now that she is OK but I know you were worried!

Years and years ago I had a little toy poodle who got into some chocolate covered salt water taffy (comes from the Jersey shore :cool: ). They were covered with rainbow colors of foil and were in a box located on the coffee table. The box was closed and one would think that he couldn't smell the candy through the box and foil covering. WRONG! I came home from work to find my living room floor covered with shimmering foil pieces and piles of chocolate throw-up all over. Thank God for the throw up because his little tummy got rid of it, and he was totally fine. I have no idea how long the whole process took (his eating and getting sick) because I had been gone over eight hours. Afterwards I just smiled as I thought of him diligently getting the foil off each piece to get to the candy. :p