PDA

View Full Version : What Luna did (you've got to read this!) :)

Kirsten
01-07-2009, 07:39 AM
After all these years, Luna can still surprise me. :)

A couple of days ago, I posted this photo (in "General"):

http://www.catmom.de/pix/schwan2.jpg

Luna was watching me while I did that, and soon I noticed she was staring at the picture. After a while, she approached it carefully, and the next moment - believe it or not, but I swear it's true - she tried to bite into the swan's neck!! And not only once, but several times!

To me, this is the ultimate proof that cats do recognize what's in a picture. As I posted before, she's also very interested in animated computer graphics and everything that moves on the screen, but this picture was NOT moving. She must have recognized that the picture shows a bird, and that a bird means "prey". And even though she never had a chance in real life to hunt and kill a prey, she seemed to know that it's the neck of the bird she has to attack.

Isn't it simply amazing? How I love my sweet girl! :love: :love: :love: Of course I did not tell her that in reality, a swan is at least twice as big as she is, and that she would be better off to not to cross his path. ;)

Kirsten

Barbara
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah- and here she thought it was just a nice little bite ;)

MoonandBean
01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
That must have been so funny to see. I get a kick out of Sunny watching the TV :)

catmandu
01-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Its called atavism in humans and animals, something thats been bred in for generations, where we will do something not because it makes sense , but because its been bred into us.
The fear of the dark is probably the best example that I can think of.
I hope that Luna:love::love: didnt chip her teeth and need dental work!!:eek::eek:

Kirsten
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Gary, you're probably right about these atavisms. :)

I hope that Luna didnt chip her teeth and need dental work!!

Nah, don't worry. :) She learnt quickly that she cannot eat that bird. :D

Kirsten

Randi
01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Isn't that amazing! You certainly have proof now that she can see what's on the screen. :D

We have swans in the lake near by, they really are big - and can be quite dangerous. :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Swans...symbol of love...are the meanest!!! Right up there with Canada geese. So be careful Luna....:D:D:D

Kirsten
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh yes, they can be mean! Good for Luna that she didn't meet one in real life! :D

Kirsten

Sonia59
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Aww, it must have been funny to see :) Amazing, isn't it?

momcat
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Luna is a very special girl, Kirsten, but we all knew that. It's incredible how our kitties' instincts kicks in literally out of nowhere. But your photography is always so extraordinary could it be sweet Luna thought the picture was the real deal?