PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your dog?

wolf_Q
09-18-2002, 12:35 AM
I *know* this question has been asked before. So you don't have to answer, but I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to a previous thread about this. I searched and I couldn't find anything.

I feed Nebo Pedigree puppy. He likes the stuff, but his poop never seems to be completely solid (not diarhea) and it's driving me nuts. It's really gross to clean up too lol (believe me I know, he pooped in Petsmart at his class tonight UGH). I just barely bought a new bag, but I'm thinking about changing food when it's done. I just hope I can afford it.

Anyhoo, any recommendations on some puppy food would be good, or you can just help me find a previous thread on dog food.

~~Amy :)

shais_mom
09-18-2002, 12:50 AM
just go to the search icon and put in dog food under dog health and dog general.

I feed Keegan Premium Edge Chicken and Rice made by Diamond Foods. She really likes it.
Make sure the first ingredient is meat not corn. Chicken, beef or Lamb.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-18-2002, 06:28 AM
When Drake was a puppy, he was on eukanuba for Large Breed Puppy.

I kept him on Eukanuba till he was about a year or so, then slowly switched him over to Bil-Jac. He is on a dry/raw diet now. It's high maintenance, but he loves it and it is great for him.

Cookiebaker
09-18-2002, 06:36 AM
Malone is on Purina One Puppy Chow Big Breed, but we plan to switch him over to Eukaneuba or Blue Seal when he is about 1. You probably know this already, but dont' wait until your current bag is gone to switch. Switch gradually by mixing the two for a couple of weeks.

lv4dogs
09-18-2002, 07:36 AM
Nutro Natural makes a good large breed puppy formula!

Stenograsaurus
09-18-2002, 11:29 AM
I feed Dakota (husky) Nutro Large Breed Adult Formula. I know they have Large Breed puppy also. Dakota's stools have never been runny on this food. They always were runny when I fed him Purina.

lovemymaltese
09-18-2002, 11:38 AM
It's been so long since I had a puppy, Tango is almost nine. Sorry that I don't have much advice. Just make sure they have lots of stuff to chew on so that your furniture is safe from destruction.

aly
09-18-2002, 11:57 AM
My dogs were on Nutro but are on Innova now. I would not buy any of the foods that they have at the grocery store. If you have to, I would go for Iams. Just be sure that it is not a corn based food.

wolf_Q
09-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into Nutro. Do you know about how much it costs? So it would be better if I had him on a "large breed" puppy formula?

I don't think the first ingredient in pedigree is corn, I think it is chicken, but I believe the second one is corn.

lv4dogs
09-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Yup, large breed nutro natural puppy would be excellent for him (any dog that will be over about 50lbs). I would switch him over gradually especially if he is currently having digestive problems. I would make the switch last about 3 weeks. I buy nutro natural large breed adult & senior but the prices are about te same for other formulas. A 20lb bag is approx $17.00 and the 45lb bags are about $26.00. Prices may vary with areas and stores so look around to find the best deal. Nutro also offers a frequent buyers plan, after you purchase 10 bags (you mail the upc's & receipts) they send you a coupon for a free bag of the same size! They also have a starter program where they will send you a booklet full of Nutro product coupons. You will like cleaning up after him a lot better than before as there area lot less stools. I have 3 large dogs (husky mix, GSD mix & rott) and when you walk through my yard it looks like I have cats using my yard as a potty!

Blustang24
09-18-2002, 01:53 PM
I feed Honey Iams Puppy food for large breed...and I will be switching to Iam's puppy for medium breed in a little bit. Her poop is solid surprisingly...so maybe try that. :D

Pam
09-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Bella eats Eukanuba. Our previous standard poodle, Whitney, (RB) had a problem with gas. :o Our vet suggested Eukanuba. We switched her and Presto! no gas! When we got Bella we just continued on with a good thing. :)

Dixieland Dancer
09-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Click here (http://http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2316) to see a previous link on food.

Click here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8051) for another one. This one was quite long and debated but had a lot of information in it.

mugsy
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
We feed ours Exclusive made by Purina Mills....not Purina Ralston who doesn't put much good in their stuff. Purina Mills split from Purina Ralston and started making large animal feed (horses, cows, pigs...etc) and figured out that if you put quality stuff in quality stuff is the result. Their main ingredient is FRESH chicken and no preservatives. We pay $24.95 for a 35 pound bag and when you buy 6 bags you get the 7th bag free. Exclusive is the only dog and cat food PMI makes. It's amazing. Sox used to have pretty bad allergies and since we started using Exclusive she hasn't had a problem. Dudley lost 41 pounds by eating Exclusive low fat. Everything they put in it is human grade stuff. No "chicken byproducts" which translates into feet, bone, beaks and feathers. Unlike Science Diet whose main ingredient is corn and whose main source of protein is peanut shells, Exclusive is totally meat based. The owner of the feed store where we get it told me the other day that Exclusive is the only brand of dog food made commercially that is not owned by a soap company!! lol The Iams company is the worst too. Sheesh, I've read up on this stuff and what they do to animals is just disgusting. They never did it either until they were bought out by Proctor and Gamble...another soap company.

Cincy'sMom
09-18-2002, 04:56 PM
We use Sensible Choice Lamb and Rice. It is made by Royal Canin

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Teddy eats Alpo Wet food. I personally do not liek this kind of food

Chewy eats Pro Plan Puppy, and LOVES it.

Blink
09-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Is Science Diet good?

shais_mom
09-18-2002, 11:30 PM
I am 90% sure that the first ingredient on Pedigree is corn. I think that is the reason I switched.

wolf_Q
09-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Yeah, you're right. I looked again, and corn is the first ingredient. Followed by chicken by-products I think.

I read some article on dog food, and the "by-products" thing really grossed me out.

Thanks for posting those thread links Candy, I'm reading them right now. It seems that alot of people have something against Eukanuba and Iams because of P & G. I guess I will stay away from them, as the other premium brands are about the same price anyway. As far as the brands available at Petco/Petsmart, isn't Nutro one of the best??

I discovered that working at Petco definitely has some real perks. I get 20% off anything in the store! Yay! :D
A 20lb bag is approx $17.00 and the 45lb bags are about $26.00. I looked at Petco, and it is more expensive here. The only places that I know of that carry Nutro is Petco and Petsmart, and it'd have to be at least some cheaper at Petco, as I get the discount. A 40 lb bag is $34.99 (large breed puppy). Ouch!! That is a lot of money to me.......I'm poor lol. You'll have to understand one thing. Reggie and Smokey have been the "family dogs" all of these years. I didn't buy the dog food. We always gave our dogs love and attention, but I don't think my parents really thought about the food. They just get "whatever food is cheapest" when they run out. So when I have mentioned what food I am going to buy, they get seriously mad at me for spending that much money. :eek: Plus, Melissa (Lady's owner) buys Ol' Roy, and she thought I was nuts for even buying Pedigree.

Sorry for rambling on there, I just keep thinking that if I got him a better dog food, some other problems would be helped also. Not that I can convince anyone else of that. :rolleyes: Now if I didn't have Pet Talk, I wouldn't be thinking this at all! You devils make me spend so much money on that dog!!! lol

Anyway, the way I have it figured, Nutro is still about $10 more per bag then Pedigree, with my discount. BUT....the recommended food amounts are less, so I'll be feeding him less...so the bag should last longer. Plus I can just pick the food up at work, so I'll save gas money right? lol ;) Maybe my parents will buy that lol. They don't have much of a right to get mad anyway, since it's my money, I work for it. I just hear so much B.S. about what I do with the dog, I'm paranoid!

C.C.'s Mom
09-19-2002, 12:43 AM
I feed Cookie Bozita Large Breed. I mix it with Bozita canned food, about 1/3 of a big can.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-19-2002, 10:00 PM
I feed Sadie Nutro Natural Choice.:) ;)

Uabassoon
09-19-2002, 10:15 PM
WolfQ since you work at Petco look at the label for Vitarx. It's the Petco premium brand, it's supposed to be pretty good and because it's Petco brand you should get a 40% discount on it. At least that's how it worked at the Petco I worked at.

Logan
09-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Honey and Lilly have been eating California Natural Lamb and Rice (Reduced Calorie). But we have found it hard to obtain for a month or so, therefore I had to switch to Innova, which is made by the same people, but much more expensive. They like it, but I got a call from my guy at the Feed Store today that he has the California Natural for me again, which is good news!!! :D