PDA

View Full Version : allergic to our dog

dragonfly713
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
HELP ME!! I don't know what to do. My beloved Boxer is the cause of my family being sick. I always knew that I am allergic to my Boxer. It has gotten much worse as time goes on. I have constant sinus infections requiring dr. visits, medicine, still don't go away completely and right back again. Now I break out in a rash on my arms when they come in contact with him. I was trying to just put up with it. Now, it's my kids and husband also. Constantly plugged up, sinus infections. Everyone is loaded up on allergy meds, and still sick, and itchy. I need to decide on rehoming him. How do I let my family suffer in order to keep the dog. My husband bought him for me on our honeymoon. He is 2 1/2 now. OUTSTANDING personality!!! I don't know if I can let him go, but how do I not.

What would y'all do?

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Along with the family taking antihistamines for your allergies, do you bathe your dog regularly? My mom and I are allergic to our Dobermans, and that's what we do. Winston and Keira both get bathed every 2 weeks, with a mild shampoo and conditioner so as not to bother their skin, and doing that helps us a lot. Aside from that, I don't know what you could do. Maybe someone else will have more suggestions. :)

dragonfly713
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I do bathe him every wk - 1 1/2. He is Extremely oily and it gets smelly. He starts smelling just a couple hrs after bath. His skin allergies make him scratch and chew constantly, creating more dander issues for us. He's on allergy med but it's not helping much. It makes me cry thinking of rehoming him, but I'm his main attention/caregiver, and I can't even snuggle him anymore without an itchy rash all over my arms, neck. Either way I feel guilty thinking it's not fair to him.

shepgirl
01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Are you bathing him with a prescription shampoo from your vet? One friend had the same problem with their dog and gave him a bath every second day with the prescribed shampoo and the dog was put on prednisone for a few months.Things cleared up and the dog has had no recurrences. Just a thought but I guess everyone would have to vote on this since it's an issue for everyone.

Karen
01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Did you see my suggestions the last time you posted? Has he been to the vet to get his allergies tested?

What allergy meds have you tried? Different ones work for different people. Does your doctor recommend allergy shots?

I know you love this pup, have you tried keeping gloves around, so you can pet and snuggle him, then throw the shirt and gloves in the wash?

Where does he sleep?

Does you home have wall-to-wall carpeting? Does your vacuum cleaner have a HEPA filter?

luvofallhorses
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
What food is he on? I think you need to get him to the vet for his allergies, allergies can be uncomfortable for the dog and I am sorry you're allergic to him. Do allergy shots help you guys?

I hope you're able to keep him. :( If you get his allergies under control via the vet maybe his coat would be better if you knew what allergy he has. Licking paws and scratching he could be allergic to the shampoo (or if you didn't get it all off) or the food he is on. Please take him to the vet for him to get looked at, that's what I would advise. Have you researched boxers? They are very prone to allergies. He may have to be on a special food, but I would definately take him to the vet ASAP.
ALLERGIES

Boxers are very prone to all types of allergies that may be caused from a particular compound or ingredient in food but may also be caused from something in the environment. Some Boxers have air-borne allergies that may be seasonal in nature, especially if they are allergic to various types of molds, pollens or spores in the air. Other common sources of allergies are grains in the diet, especially corn or wheat products, or food that contains beet pulp.

Allergies are noted by excessive scratching, licking and rubbing of the skin, often to the point of causing lesions and open sores on the skin. This then opens the possibility of secondary bacterial infections. Some Boxers will also rub their heads on the ground or chew at their feet continually. Steroids can be used to temporarily relieve the itching, but then the cause must be found. Antihistamines can also be used for seasonal allergies. Many highly allergic Boxers do best on a homemade diet or a BARF diet where no additives or grains are included in the diet.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Boxer-Dog-Health-Problems&id=1092256

lv4dogs
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I think your first step is to take everyone to the doctor, you, your dog & your family members. Have a very thorough discussion with your doctors about the allergies and also have everyone get all new thorough allergy tests done.
The second step depends on the results on the first step.
I am sure once you know exactly what everyone is allergic to you will have no problem solving it. There are many many options out there for all allergies, dogs & humans alike.

Catlady711
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I do bathe him every wk - 1 1/2. He is Extremely oily and it gets smelly. He starts smelling just a couple hrs after bath. His skin allergies make him scratch and chew constantly, creating more dander issues for us. He's on allergy med but it's not helping much.

Is he on antibiotics for the skin infection he has? With the oily, dander, smelling issue you mention, it sounds like it could maybe a staph, or possibly yeast infection which can be contagious to people and part of the cause of the human 'allergies'. Even if the initial cause was 'allergies', his scratching can cause a skin infection.

How long since the dog has seen the vet? Did the vet do any skin scrapings or cultures? As Karen mentioned, is he on any special shampoo? Is he on a special hypoallergenic or restricted diet for food allergies? Has he been tested for what 'allergies' he has?

I just somehow doubt that the whole family is suddenly becoming allergic to the dog without another reason being involved like a staph or yeast infection. Not saying it can't happen, just doesn't sound likely.