PDA

View Full Version : I need vacation help/ideas...

Moesha
01-03-2009, 09:05 PM
A few months ago I posted about a trip some friends and I were planning for Poznan, Poland. Well today we received our travel brochure with several trip options. They were very expensive. Much more than we were led to believe. I had saved several thousand dollars, but it still wouldn't have been enough. We've decided that we probably won't be going to Poland. The options just weren't what we expected. We've decided that we're still going on vacation somewhere. We've saved money so we can afford a decent trip. Our problem is where should we go. We've thought about making our own travel plans to Europe. Going to maybe Paris and another city. I love Paris and would love to go back there. My sister and her husband loved Ireland. Or perhaps a trip out west. None of us have been to the Grand Canyon or Sedona and Vegas. Another option we're thinking about is a nice Orlando/Disney trip. None of us have children so it would be an adult Disney trip. We've all be there before though.

My sister is the QUEEN of Disney vacation packages. So we've got that aspect covered. There are also many websites offering Euorpe hotel/flight deals. My problem is finding Grand Canyon area ideas. I did find Caravan.com with some prearranged packages. Do you think it would be better to try to put together our own "western" package? Maybe getting a condo in Flagstaff or a few hotel nights in different areas out there. Has anyone been there with suggestions on definite things to see or do. Most of my family has been there and HIGHLY recommends that. Do you have any favorite travel sites with deals that you could share?

Any other options for vacation areas that you would recommend? We're open to ALL suggestions.

Freedom
01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
If you still want to do something in Europe or UK, I used Cosmos Tours several times, and I was always very happy with them. Their sister company, Globus Tours, offers much the same, costs more because Globus uses hotels which are right IN the city, whereas with Cosmos you get back on the bus and ride OUT of the city for your hotel.

Grand Canyon sounds terrific too! I had a week in Sedona Arizona and took a day trip from there, it was fantastic! I sure do wish I could spend time AT the Grand Canyon, but then, I wish I could spend time almost ANYWHERE, I LOVE to travel!

wolf_Q
01-03-2009, 09:36 PM
If you're going to the Grand Canyon, also stop by Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in Utah. There's also the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab. They are all within a few hours drive. If it were me, I'd just camp, you can always get a cabin at a KOA (they have showers and everything). But that may not be considered a vacation for everyone. Have fun, whatever you end up doing!

Moesha
01-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Did Cosmos plan stuff you do? We're more explore on our own kind of people. If we could get flight and hotel there, we'd be great. We don't need tour packages.

Freedom
01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh yes, Cosmo is a tour company. You get about 2 hours per day of "free" time, as I remember. And that is when many of the optional excursions are offered so if you take them, you have no free time. Which was fine with me, I was traveling alone and didn't speak any of the languages. Hit 17 countries in 21 days!

Karen
01-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Are you planning on going soon? January in London is far warmer than you'd expect - cool and rainy) but you can see lots of stuff - museums, galleries, gardens, historic places, etc with no crowds! And air fares are far cheaper now than in the summer.

On the other side of course is the Grand Canyon area - I'd echo what Wolf_Q said about the other National Parks in the area. Beautiful places!

blue
01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Dont Come Here!!! If you do wait till late summer.

Randi
01-04-2009, 05:50 AM
How about a flight straight to Madrid or Barcelona, Spain. It's not too cold in winter and there's lots to see and do. Check it out!

Medusa
01-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I lived in Sedona for nearly two years and there are several nice resorts there and 4 star restaurants. You can free hand rock climb and hike and see the sights of which there are plenty, the drive to Flagstaff is only 40 minutes, to Phoenix is 2 hours. I went to the Grand Canyon and saw what I needed to in a day.

caseysmom
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
All of you ideas sound wonderful. I would love to camp in Utah someday, thats my dream.

I loved snorkeling when we went to hawaii that was such an awesome experience. I also love Europe and loved Italy. I just love to travel, its all good.

jennielynn1970
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
My one friend went to Greece and it was dirt cheap there. Gorgeous sites (men included, lol), and so much to see and do with history. She did do a tour thing, but did a lot on her own when she didn't want to deal with a bunch of people.

I loved Sweden in the summer. Midsummer festival was lovely. Again, lots of sights and things to see and do on either side of the country. Goteborg or Stockholm. Ships to go see the archipeligos, or take the ferry that goes to Denmark. We even took a water powered ship that went to Finland. That was cool. Lots of hiking and biking and outdoorsy things to do there as well.

carole
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I think if you have several thousand saved a trip to NZ or Australia could be on the cards, with the rate of exchange right now ,you would do very well with your American dollar, just a thought, we have a lovely piece of paradise here, well worth taking a look at.:)

Moesha
01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
We had a powwow tonight and decided to go to Disney World in March. We all wanted a trip very soon. We may try to do a big vacation like the Grand Canyon or a cruise in the fall. With the deal Disney is offering now all 5 of us can go and stay at a moderate Disney resort for a week and have a ticket for every day of the week for $610 a person. We can spend a little more and upgrade the tickets to those that won't expire or park hopper tickets or add the water parks. My sister is the queen of Disney planning. I think we're going to stay at Port Orleans on the French Quarter side.

beeniesmom
01-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Even if you've made your choice, I'd like to suggest a cruise. You can get good ones for cheeeeeeap and see a different port every morning or every other morning. Hubby and I went to one over Thanksgiving that went to Key West, FL. and Nassau Bahams for about 1 thousand dollars for both of us. It was fun and we can't wait to go on a another one. PS: Disney has cruises too and no, they aren't for kids only!

Moesha
01-06-2009, 06:52 AM
The problem with a cruise is we have all been on lots of them. The cheap ones go mostly to Mexico or the Bahamas. We feel like we've done them to death. Most of the ones that go to more interesting islands in the southern Caribbean leave from San Juan and it can be expensive to get a flight there. We did that one time too. We may try that in the fall though. But I hate the threat of dealing with hurricanes. Thanks for that suggestion!