PDA

View Full Version : Nosebleeds...

Catty1
01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I imagine there are quite a few people experiencing nosebleeds with colder weather and drier air - not made easier by indoor heating systems which dry the air even more.

This season has been rather bad for me nosebleed-wise. I had surgery many years ago by an ENT who said adults weren't cauterized - they had the blood vessels surgically removed. So I did that.

I moved to Alberta in 1999 and have had several sessions of cauterization.

I went last fall and was told that cauterizing the two bleeding sites in each nostril would wind up creating a hole. :eek:

So I got one side done. And now the left one is really bad.

Yeah...I can go get cauterized. I have also put a small ionic humidifier right next to my bed, which does a cool mist over my pillow (when my head is on it :p ).

Are there any products anyone knows of that might slowly cauterize the area? Any healing things?

I also put polysporin ointment/vaseline in my nose too.

This isn't fatal...but it sure is annoying. I wish it could be FIXED!:(

Freedom
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
The one and only thing I know about nose bleeds is that drinking orange juice makes them worse.

Sure hope someone comes along soon with some help for you!

Catty1
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
LOL - I wonder why that is???

I guess I better not START drinking orange juice! :D

Catlady711
01-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Dunno about nosebleeds caused by dry air, but when I was a kid I used to have frequent and random nosebleeds. At the time it was caused by a lack of iron (anemia) and I took iron pills for a few years and it went away. When I was an older teen they came back but I immediately went for the iron pills for a couple months and have never had a problem since, nor do I have to take iron pills now.

moosmom
01-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Catty1,

High blood pressure can also cause nosebleeds.

I've had a "Hello Kitty" cool mist humidifier in my bedroom since the heat was turned on. The heat in my apartment is VERY dry and it helps alot.

Catty1
01-03-2009, 10:10 AM
catlady, actually, I have to be on iron, so I will make sure I take it regularly.

Donna, funny thing is that low blood pressure is NORMAL for me. 94/60 is nothing unusual - my all time high was 120/80!

I have a tiny humidifier that I now put next to my bed on the nighttable - and that has helped a lot. I wish there was a natural cauterizing agent - a pharmacist and I briefly considered the styptic pencil men use for shaving cuts - BRIEFLY! lol

Thanks all.

Twisterdog
01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
My mom gets some serious nosebleeds sometimes, I have had to take her to the ER several times. She is on bloodthinners, and once it starts, it just won't stop.

There is styptic powder that we put on dogs' toenails to stop the bleeding, if we trim one too short. But, oh my gosh, I can't imagine putting it in your nose! :eek:

Catty1
01-03-2009, 11:14 AM
But, oh my gosh, I can't imagine putting it in your nose!

Me neither!!! :eek::eek::eek:

KYS
01-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I get nose bleeds often too.
I have allergies and I figure the change of the weather especially if
it's dry out causes it?
Sort of embarrassing when I get them at work.
Luckily the bleeding stops fairly fast.
I use a spray that is called Simply Saline. It comes in a spray can of Sterile Saline
mist, but I am not very good about using it.