PDA

View Full Version : Poor Beezer... shaken up

sparks19
01-02-2009, 03:11 PM
we were away for Christmas and they were in the kennel for 9 days. while at the kennel Lancaster County apparently had a very minor earthquake.

Since Bringing beezer and belle home from "camp" Beezer has been acting very strange. the first few days he just stayed in his "den" (under the end table between the couch and chair) but then starting new years Eve he has just become so insanely clingy I almost can't go to the bathroom without bringing him with me.

Usually at night the dogs stay in the living room and sleep on the couch and we keep the baby gate closed to keep them out of trouble. This arrangement is normally fine with the dogs but the past two nights Beezer won't stay in the living room. he scratches and cries at the gate and tries to figure out how to jump over it and won't rest until he is with us. he's slept with us the past two nights and just won't leave our side.... which kinda sucks cause he has no sense of personal space lol.

There was also another earthquake in York (about 15 miles from here) on Wednesday morning at 12:30 am. So I am assuming these sudden issues are because of the earthquakes but I don't know what to do for him. I've been giving him his anxiety flower essence drops and what not but he's really freaked out.

So I emailed nancy (the lady who did Beezers first reading) and she said she would call this weekend. I didn't tell her about the earthquakes or anything just that I had a few questions about Beezer. She responded and said she would call this weekend. She said he is coming through loud and clear and is really shaken up. Kinda funny she would use the words "shaken up" to describe beezer after we've had two earthquakes LOL... but she doesn't know about that.

Karen
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Do your best not to coddle him, as you'll validate his anxiety, and likely escalate it. You'll have to reaccustom him to being in the living room at night, just like you would do with a new pup. A little longer each time, and no giving in!

Poor Beezer, no fair when the ground moves on ya - don't worry kiddo, some people get freaked out by it, too! Just tell momma you never want to move to California, or anywhere in the New Madrid fault zone!

boomersooner
01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Yes, I agree...don't enable him. My sister's dog was in the house when a tornado came through years ago.....it was tough on the pup.....

Freedom
01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Has Beezer stayed at a kennel before? At THAT kennel before? Sorry, I don't remember.

I'm just wondering if it was the separation from home/mom/routine rather than the earthquakes?

Either way, it does sound like separation anxiety now, and what Karen and boomersooner said address how to cope and correct that.

Hugs, Beezer!

sparks19
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
thanks for the advice :)

It's hard because I DO spend 90% of my time inside the gated area (the gated area is actually for Hannah lol) so most of the time when I do leave the gated area it's for the night but I have been leaving him inside the gate when I go to the bathroom or run downstairs for soemthing or go get the mail and he seems to be better about staying behind the gate for a couple of minutes although I do come back to him laying right in front of the gate waiting for me. but nighttime is still a no go for him. he just HAS to be with us... although I make him sleep on his bed on the floor and not in my bed as there is no room.

Oddly... it seems to be ME that he wants. This morning Brian got up and was out in the living room with the pups while I stayed in bed and Beezer still scratched and cried and barked at the gate to get to me... but Brian didn't let him out so he eventually gave up lol. So he does seem to be improving a little each day.

yes this is the same kennel they always stay at and they go there quite a few times throughout the year (although usually for shorter periods of time like 2 or 3 days) So it was strange when he came home all out of sorts... although it didn't get bad until a couple days after they came home (after there was another earthquake I later discovered)