PDA

View Full Version : Cat to aid the Deaf or Hearing impaired. Help

StarandBratsmom
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi everyone. I hope your new year celebration was fun and those who did drink are all rested up and ready to begin the new year. :)

I need some help. Do any one of you have a dog or cat that is used as part assistance program?

I have a cat, she's been a great help to me. She's my alarm clock, when I can't hear it go off, she wakes me up by getting on me and bumping my face. She has never failed to do this. She also alerts me when the phone rings or if someone is outside at the door, by looking that direction or sitting next to me staring at me, I know she's telling me something. She's a reliable assistant, always near me or within seeing view. She is very good at communicating with me, we have an unspoken bond.

The problem is, I am moving soon to an apartment who doesn't allow animals unless you have a medical reason to have one. I do have a reason to have Star, I can't hear, and she helps me. Where do I get a doctor's request? Who do I talk to? Do I need to register Star?

Catty1
01-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Are your vet or doctor aware that Star does this for you? A letter from both or one of them would be helpful.

I just get so MAD that landlords won't allow pets so much of the time. The surrenders in our local and city Humane were way up last year because of that. :mad:

Offer to pay an extra damage deposit for Star - or see if your household insurance could add a rider for any damage she causes (which she won't, I know).

Setting up a personal meeting with the landlord couldn't hurt; have Star's vet records with you, and any references from neighbours or a current landlord.

I hope others will have some ideas for you.

StarandBratsmom
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Are your vet or doctor aware that Star does this for you? A letter from both or one of them would be helpful.

I just get so MAD that landlords won't allow pets so much of the time. The surrenders in our local and city Humane were way up last year because of that. :mad:

Offer to pay an extra damage deposit for Star - or see if your household insurance could add a rider for any damage she causes (which she won't, I know).

Setting up a personal meeting with the landlord couldn't hurt; have Star's vet records with you, and any references from neighbours or a current landlord.

I hope others will have some ideas for you.

That is a great idea. I have neighbors and my current landlord can vouch for Star. No one knows she does this for me, she sort of just adapted herself to me.

Taz_Zoee
01-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I do not know where you live, but look at this (http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/companimals/assist.htm) site. There are links to additional sites toward the bottom. They all refer to guide dogs, but some say animal. I hope you can find something to help you.

lvpets2002
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
:) Oh I would bet your now land lord, vet & doc could write a letter to your new landlord for your cat's medical needs with you.. Best of Luck & keep us posted..

Catty1
01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
What about Brat?

Here is a service that I came up with - Emeradgreen did the site, and kittycats_delight refined the logo. We are doing free pet resumes in return for using the happy-ending story on our site!

I'd be most happy to do two for you - one for Star, one for Brat.
http://www.prefurredpetresume.com/

Just get in touch there and let me know!!!

Laura's Babies
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
To have to get rid of your cat because of the new rules (at the new place) is terriable! They have all kinds of people who NEED their pet just for comfort and having their doctor write letters stating that helped them keep their pet. Has ANYONE witnessed your baby doing these things for you? Anyone how can back up what you say to prove you are not lying? Dogs and monkeys can do that and it is acceptable, I don't see why cats can't!

I had one that would cut my clock off herself so she could wake my up.. I didn't train her to do that, she figured out how to do it all by herself so I fully believe your cat can do these things!!

Freedom
01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Here is a link to S A R A to get Star documented.
http://www.affluent.net/sara/sara4.htm

SARA is for all asistance pets, be it dog, cat, monkey, etc.

What will you do about Brat?? (I think someone already asked, but I was wondering as well!)

Oh, I saw another site which I can't find now, (duh!) which says to check with your state, as there are ways to get free certification. It did't specify which department within the state to speak with, however.

catmandu
01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
We are sending Prayers that Star can stay with you.
Its a shame that there are irresponsible Pet Owners:mad: who ruin things for those of us who properly love and care for Our Furry Companions :(:(

columbine
01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Relevant article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/magazine/04Creatures-t.html

Love, Columbine

mrspunkysmom
01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
An idea for Brat:

Are they a bonded pair? Star would suffer from separation?

Or Brat is Star's companion. We all know that cats need other cats to help keep themselves clean and healthy (such as cleaning the ears, playing games, and mental health).

Hope you are successful. Cats are far more useful than people realize. Mine alert me to guests before I hear them coming up the walk. They also let me know when I'm not well, such as blood sugar or blood pressure.