PDA

View Full Version : The NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field, Chicago

cassiesmom
01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
So we had hockey at the Friendly Confines today! Unfortunately, the Blackhawks didn't win. It was so weird to see them playing hockey on the infield! Over 40,000 people there and there were also fans on the rooftops across the street, like there are for Cubs games. The commentator was saying there was a good contingent of Detroit fans at the game. As the weather goes it was pretty good - low 30s, a little windy but thank goodness no precipitation. They had a ceremonial puck drop, just like they have a celebrity first pitch for baseball games, and even a military fly-over. No 7th inning stretch, though.

Just in case you didn't see it - this is what happened when the Zamboni (actually one of two) was being unloaded from the truck a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAgccYTjvE

Edwina's Secretary
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
We watched the beginning of it. What fun! Wish I was there.....

aki
01-01-2009, 10:43 PM
we watched it! we're HUGE wings fans :D

got the whole family together in our wings duds and had a great day. actually it was a GREAT game. very exciting to watch.

i was hoping to see scottie bowin, former wings coach that now works for the blackhawks.

ramanth
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Missed the game. I was watching the Spartans lose their Bowl game. :o :(

Yay Redwings!!

aki
01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
yah we flipped to the spartan game on the commercials :D

taped it for later

sparks19
01-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I wanted to respond to this yesterday but I didn't get a chance lol

You are lucky :D wish I could have gone.

We watched it at home though. Good game. chicago held their own for a while and then just sorta let it all go lol. Poor Huet

Grace
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I thought it was marvelous!! And the Wings won, which only made it sweeter.

Just read an article - from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2009-01-01-outdoor-games_N.htm). Consider the possibilities for future games. Fenway would be great; the Penguins and the Flyers at Penn State; Wild vs. Blackhawks at Lambeau Field, and the piece de resistance - Toronto and Detroit at U of M stadium with over 100,000 fans.

cassiesmom
01-03-2009, 07:45 PM
It would have been nice if the Hawks won, but that's okay. It was neat to see the whole city get behind the team and preparations for the game. I think they lucked out with the weather, unlike the last Bears home game when it was so cold. Also for the people traveling from Michigan for the game-- the commentators said there was a large number of Detroit fans at the game. The charitable organization of the Cubs sold tickets for ice skating the next day, mostly to Wrigleyville neighborhood organizations, and they were gone in nothing flat. And they did have the Hawks and Cubs hall of fame players sing "Take Me Out To the Ball Game" during a time-out! It was a boost for Chicago, which we really needed between the recent bad weather and all the economic worries.

cassiesmom
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I heard on the news today that the Winter Classic was an official success, even though the Hawks didn't win. They would like to have another one now that they have some of the logistics figured out, but the NHL gets to decide whether or where to have another one. They had ice skating at Wrigley today and showed it on the news.

smokey the elder
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
That would lend new meaning to the phrase, "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field!"