PDA

View Full Version : Jogging advice

Alysser
01-01-2009, 03:23 PM
So, it's 2009, finally. I've been interested in loosing weight since last year and so on..I feel fat and honestly I need to loose it. For a Christmas gift , I got a gym membership with my friend Kathleen and we go at least 3 times a week. But I still feel gross and fat, and I think I need to do more. How do I start training myself for jogging? Not like hardcore marathon jogging..like running around the block each day jogging, just for health reasons and personal achievements I guess. The problem is I have a heart condition and it makes me tired very easily, but I really want to try this and not give up. I want to be fit. I've always been pretty active, I walk alot of places because I'm too young to drive and I ride my bike alot..I have a swimming pool I can use in the summer, etc. But for now I'd like to jog a bit.

How can I start training myself for it? How do I stay motivated to keep going even if I'm tired? What do I bring with me? Does jogging REALLY hurt your knees after awhile because mine aren't good to begin with? and anything else you think might be important.

I don't really think I'm that "fat" but I feel it and when I lost weight and was in the 120's I felt so much better. I'm in the 40's again and it's horrible, I can't stand being this way anymore. My doctor said my adult weight should be 150- 155 LB's and I think I'm pushing it now. I'd like to go to 100-115 if I can. Thanks for the advice, I'd really appreciate it.

pomtzu
01-01-2009, 03:30 PM
You really shouldn't do anything like that if you have a heart condition, without first checking with your doctor. He would be the best one to tell you just what and how much you can do. See him first, and work on a program with him. Be careful - and good luck!

*LabLoverKEB*
01-01-2009, 03:34 PM
What a great new year's resolution, Alyssa! I KNOW that you can do anything if you put your mind to it!;)
A little about my experience with exercising... In the summer of 2006, I went to a fitness camp for teens, pre-collegiate girls, and young adults, down in San Diego, CA. I learned A LOT about exercise, and nutrition. If you would like to know more about my experience, please don't hesitiate to pm me.:)

First, you want to STRETCH. Stretch your legs (most important in jogging). Do this by doing squats, sitting down on the floor/ground and stretch one (or both) legs out and reach for your toes with your hands. You can stretch your quads (the muscle in your thighs) by standing up, and take your foot of eathier your right or left leg, and stretch it twards your butt. To maintain your balance during this stretch, focus on a still object on the ground. (Such as your water bottle, or a rock on the ground)

Do you have an iPod? If so, deffinetly bring it with you when you go for a job, or go to the gym. You should also bring a water bottle with you, if you can. Get some music on your iPod that is really upbeat, and makes you want to get movin'!:)

Good luck Alyssa, and I really hope this helps you!:)

Alysser
01-01-2009, 03:37 PM
You really shouldn't do anything like that if you have a heart condition, without first checking with your doctor. He would be the best one to tell you just what and how much you can do. See him first, and work on a program with him. Be careful - and good luck!

I've checked with my cardiologists last year when I went to him in April, and he said he's all for it but not to push myself. In gym, I've never had to sit out for anything before like jogging and playing games I just get tired easily. My mom approved of it too. The thing is with the heart condition if I get overweight I have more of a chance of getting a heart attack or stroke when I'm older so I need to get in shape early. Thanks for the advice though ^_^ I'll see what he says.

Alysser
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
What a great new year's resolution, Alyssa! I KNOW that you can do anything if you put your mind to it!;)
A little about my experience with exercising... In the summer of 2006, I went to a fitness camp for teens, pre-collegiate girls, and young adults, down in San Diego, CA. I learned A LOT about exercise, and nutrition. If you would like to know more about my experience, please don't hesitiate to pm me.:)

First, you want to STRETCH. Stretch your legs (most important in jogging). Do this by doing squats, sitting down on the floor/ground and stretch one (or both) legs out and reach for your toes with your hands. You can stretch your quads (the muscle in your thighs) by standing up, and take your foot of eathier your right or left leg, and stretch it twards your butt. To maintain your balance during this stretch, focus on a still object on the ground. (Such as your water bottle, or a rock on the ground)

Do you have an iPod? If so, deffinetly bring it with you when you go for a job, or go to the gym. You should also bring a water bottle with you, if you can. Get some music on your iPod that is really upbeat, and makes you want to get movin'!:)

Good luck Alyssa, and I really hope this helps you!:)

Great advice! =)Yes, I do have an Ipod with pretty upbeat tunes on it. :D I wasn't sure what stretches to do but you just told me, Thank you! I'll definitiley bring a water bottle to. :D Great advice, thanks again!

boomersooner
01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I am A LOT older than you, and I would love to be a runner!! I tried this program a few years ago, and I actually progressed pretty well until winter hit, and it got cold......it is a pretty easy program and doesn't put a lot of pressure on you....

Hope it helps..

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-1-1X5-2,00.html

Pembroke_Corgi
01-01-2009, 05:21 PM
For what it's worth, I think you always look wonderful! I know it's easy to be hard on yourself, though. Even when others tell you look good, it's hard to tell that to the critic in the mirror.

Now, I haven't jogged in a while (barely worked out at all since I found out I was pregnant...) but when I was in good shape I used to jog. I was never very good at it, but I did it, at least! I would try to find a jogging buddy- it's easier to do it when you have support. Then, I would walk a few blocks, jog a few blocks, walk, jog, etc, until you can mostly jog instead of walk.

Set a goal for yourself during each jog (like, I am going to jog at least 6 blocks straight or something) so you can feel you accomplished something. And don't feel bad if jogging doesn't come naturally- it doesn't to me either. In college I was in very good shape but I still really struggled with jogging. It was only after a whole summer of working at it that I was able to jog for a few miles without stopping (and even then it was hard).

Good luck! :)

Moesha
01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I didn't check out the link that boomersooner posted, but awhile back I looked into getting into running. I talked to a serious marathon runner I know and looked at some sites online. They both mentioned building up from walking to running. After your stretching start by walking for 2 minutes and then run for 1 minute. Then back to walking and then run. Each day you increase the jogging/running and decrease the time walking. Do an online search. I know there are several good suggestions. Make sure you have good shoes also.