PDA

View Full Version : Start a cat-sitting business - any suggestions?

Don Juan's mom
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey gang:

I was laid off from my job in November, and since then NOTHING but two days of temping and a couple of odd jobs. Some friends I cat-sit for suggested that I could do cat-sitting for income, at least temporarily.

I'm sure my friends would be willing to give me a reference, and I think I could get one from my vet, too. (Don Juan and Zerlina are both healthy.)

Any suggestions? Going rate per day/week? Advertising?

Freedom
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
You will have the person bring their cat to you? Or you go to the cat's home once per day?

If the cat is in your home, is it in a kennel with free time, or is it free roam of the house?

I've seen it done both ways, so I'm not sure what you are offering for a service.

cassiesmom
12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
My cat sitter charges $18 per visit and usually visits once a day. She feeds Cassie and puts fresh water in her bowl, and eyeballs the litter box to make sure it's being used (poop scoops, too, if necessary). She usually hangs around a little while, too. I try to have iced tea or pop on hand and she knows to help herself to the TV and the fridge.

columbine
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Make a web page specifically for your cat-sitting business, and ask each of your customers for a quick quote and whether it's OK to use their name or just their town (e.g. "Reliable, my cat liked her right away" - Greenville, 2008). Make up business cards with the URL of your cat-sitting page and a list of towns you'll sit in, and ask your vet if it's OK to leave business cards on the counter in her office. Change out the signature quote in your email for a quick blurb for your service, with the URL.

Love, Columbine

krazyaboutkatz
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
What a great idea.:) I've often thought about doing a pet sitting business on the side but then I probably wouldn't be able to spend as much time with my cats. When I've been pet sitting for friends, I don't charge anything. They just take me out to dinner later on so I really don't know what the going rate would be. Maybe you could call a few pet sitting places and pretend that you want them to take care of your cats so you can find out what they charge etc. Good luck.:)

You could advertise for free on Craig's list.

Laura's Babies
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Gee, I wish you lived close to me!!

Don Juan's mom
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Thank you all so much.

FYI: I would be going to the kitties' houses, not them coming here. I don't think Don Juan and Zerlina want more kitties here (and I know Mr. Landlord doesn't want that).

Liz

GILL
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
That's what my next door naighbor did. She was layed off. She had been sitting for a few people on our block, covering both dogs and cats.
Comes in at lest twice a day, morning and evening, feeds per owner, walks, plays, cleans litter box, makes sure that the water is clean. $16.00 a vist.
Now back to work, but still sitting. She is bonded so that people feel safe with her.
Side note: she loves both cats and dogs, and they love her. She has about 30 clients now

Freedom
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
John beat me to it. If you are going into people's homes, you will improve your chances of gaining customers if you are Bonded, and insured.

Here is a link to the pet sitters association, just one of many, with some ideas for you.

http://www.petsitters.org/

I haven't had someone come IN for . . . almost 10 years. Back then, the person I used had to come meet me and the pets before the first time. She insisted on that. She had a form we completed together, included:
- pets names, ages, male/female spayed/neutered
- I had to show proof of current rabies and she would check that box for each pet
- what food I used, whether the pets were on free feeding, using a feeder with a timer (and she made sure she knew how to operate it)
- what water dish, using water from the tap? (I was using water from a Brita, so she had to know to go to the fridge, and fill it again so it was ready forher next visit)
- location of litter boxes, scooper, and location of plastic bags
- location of trash (she was taking it out with her and putting it in the dumpster in the parking lot)
- if any rooms were off limits to the pets and had to have doors closed (I didn't do that)
- she needed a key, naturally, or a plan for me to get it to her when I needed her
- pan how she would return key to me at the end ( do NOT leave the key on your last visit. People's plans get derailed, flights get canceled, snow stops driving, and you may need to go in one more time after all!)
- she insisted payment be left for her. Once I was leaving for 3 weeks so we agreed I paid half up front, and the rest when I picked up the key.
- name address and phone number of my vet; and she had a standard intro letter which she had me sign, authorizing the vet to treat my pets if she brought them in, me to pay, so the vet would know what was going on. We never had a problem.

Here is the link to yet another group:
http://www.petsitters.org/

And this one says it offers forms:
http://www.petsits.com/

If I think of anything more, I'll return to this thread. Hope this helps!

Catty1
12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Definitely get bonded and insured.

If that is too much $$$ right now, at least get a police clearance.

And ask to come over to their house and meet them and their pets.

I did this for a while for a small company.

Just be careful to not overbook yourself...I felt like I was living in my car some days.

catmandu
12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
AND I WOULD MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE VACCINATED AGAINST THINGS LIKE CAT SCRATCH FEVER , AS I WAS BOARDING KITTENS ONE DAY , AND A LITTLE SCRATCH MADE MY ARM SWELL UP, AND I HAD TO GO TO THE MEDICAL CENTRE.
I WAS GOING TO SAY BONDING, BUT THATS BEEN COVERED.
I WOULD TAKE A COURSE IN ACCPUNTING TOO, AND RAD UP ON SMALL BUISNESS START UP, SO THAT YOU KNOW WHAT EXPENSES YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DEDUCT ETC.
AND GOOD LUCK, WE WISH YOU COULD VISIT US TOO :love::love::love:

Catlady711
12-31-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm fortunate, my cat sitter stops by twice a day (three times if someone is needing meds). Her rate can't be beat......fresh green beans from my garden in the summer, and an occasional photo from our vacation enlarged for her wall. :D

As for things you would want to consider for your own pets is be sure they are up to date on their distemper and leukemia vaccines as well as on flea prevention meds (Revolution, Frontline etc). Those are things you could inadvertently bring home to your own kitties while pet sitting. Washing hands and changing clothes before handling your own cats wouldn't be a bad precaution after pet sitting. Even the healthiest looking cat can harbor things you can't see, and possibly even the very nice owners may not have noticed either.

If you actually want to make this a business then I'd highly recommend getting a business license, insurance, and possibly talk to an accountant so you don't get in trouble with the tax man or an unsuspecting lawsuit from an upset pet owner or one of their vindictive relatives. This may sound far fetched, but think about it, if we can sue for spilling hot coffee on ourselves while driving with a cup between our legs, then anything is possible in this sue happy society.

Best advertisement is usually word of mouth honestly and it's the cheapest advertisement there is.

Good luck.