PDA

View Full Version : what are you doing for New Years?

lute
12-28-2008, 03:42 PM
What is everyone doing for New Years?

My family and I rented out the bowling ally for us and a bunch of our friends.

I_luv_rusty
12-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Every year since 2 years ago, I have a new years eve party/sleepover. A few of my friends come over and sleepover. :)

moosmom
12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Going nowhere, doing nothing. Fine with me!! 2009 is coming whether I'm asleep or awake. Why waste sleep over it??

Freedom
12-28-2008, 03:58 PM
We have always had Chinese food for New Year's Eve, for over 30 years. Now, we just go a bit earlier to accomodate my Dad.

On New Year's Day, I always love to watch the Rose Bowl Parade. The amazing floats, the ideas, what they can do with flowers, is always amazing and lovely.

Then, weather permitting, we also go to the Zoo, as it is always free admission on New Year's Day. As it is winter, you get to see some animals which are hiding in the summer heat. Like the Arctic Foxes, they are adorable!

chocolatepuppy
12-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Last few years we've sat home. This year we might be going to my parents to play cards. We always have a blast with them! If by some chance we don't go, we'll just sit home with the furkids. :)

pomtzu
12-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Pretty dull - but staying home where it's SAFE!!! Just the family - and we'll do the usual - have munchies and watch movies or play board games. They'll watch the ball drop - and if I manage to stay awake till then - I'll do the same!!! :D
And for all of you that will travel the roads and go out to celebrate - PLEASE be careful. I just know that you'll all be sensible and responsible (:p), but please watch out for the ones that aren't!
I wish you all a very safe and happy and healthy New Year! :)

lv4dogs
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
My New Years nights have been getting a little duller each year as I age. lol This year however we probably won't be going anywhere or doing much of anything. I was just diagnosed yesterday with pericarditis. The doctors say I have to take it easy until I heal... which is usually a couple weeks to a few months. We'll probably eat a nice dinner or something and relax.

cassiesmom
12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
As of now, staying home. Might go to church for 11 PM communion service.

Karen
12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Getting ready for Christmas!

We will have Christmas on January 3rd this year with my family at my sister's house - Lady and her humans are heading East to be there, and our nephew is flying in from San Diego (he's in the Navy) so the whole (loud, boisterous) gang will be there! :)

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Bruce will be working a gig (he runs sound for a band) at a local "dive" bar. He wants me to go with him, but I'm just not sure yet. I might head over there closer to midnight so I can at least be with him at that time. But I guess I'll just be kicking it with my mini-zoo here at home. :)

binka_nugget
12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm working New Years eve. I'm supposed to be off at 11-11:30 but I'll be busing home due to the snow.. so I'll probably be sitting on a bus when midnight strikes. Joy.. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
12-28-2008, 06:34 PM
What I dream of doing is have dinner with a good looking man, go out and do some dancing and welcome in the new year in Jackson Square in New Orleans.. But then I wake up and realize, that ain't gonna happen so I'll settle for being here with my fur kids and welcoming the new year here with them and HOPE I won't have to be making my way to some boat on the Mississippi River to go to WORK on New Years Eve! :(

boomersooner
12-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I'll be home, trying to stay up until midnight!! HA.....Too dangerous to be out after midnight....too many drunk drivers......

k9krazee
12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
My boyfriend and I are going out to his Grandparents house to play cards with them and his Great Aunt and Uncle. I'm excited! :D

lv4dogs
12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Getting ready for Christmas!

We will have Christmas on January 3rd this year with my family at my sister's house - Lady and her humans are heading East to be there, and our nephew is flying in from San Diego (he's in the Navy) so the whole (loud, boisterous) gang will be there! :)

You can celebrate my birthday while you're there ;)

Scooter's Mom
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
What I dream of doing is have dinner with a good looking man, go out and do some dancing and welcome in the new year in Jackson Square in New Orleans.. But then I wake up and realize, that ain't gonna happen so I'll settle for being here with my fur kids and welcoming the new year here with them and HOPE I won't have to be making my way to some boat on the Mississippi River to go to WORK on New Years Eve! :(

I could send you my dad :)

Randi
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I'll stay home with Fister, he's terrified of all the fireworks that goes on. :( So I'm putting a huge cardboard box on my bed and cover it with duvets and blankets, just leaving a little hole so he can get in and out.

For dinner, I'll have fish, that's a tradition in Denmark (cod with mustard sauce, actually). I do have a botlle of Champaine, but I may not open it - no fun drinking it alone.

I probably won't sleep until well after 1.00 because of the fireworks - and I will probably watch Dinner for One on TV.

slick
12-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh I'm so excited to post this. The very good news is that I will do the same thing I do every year.....stay home and try my darndest to stay awake until midnight....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Randi, that sounds so delicious. Want company for dinner? ;)

Randi
12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
LOL! Oh Slick, don't we just have the most exiting New Years Eve! :rolleyes: I'd love it if you were here - I'd even make an effort to a cook gourmet meal, and I would definately open the Champainge - and get one more bottle! :D

May give you a ring. ;)

slick
12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
LOL! Oh Slick, don't we just have the most exiting New Years Eve! :rolleyes: I'd love it if you were here - I'd even make an effort to a cook gourmet meal, and I would definately open the Champainge - and get one more bottle! :D May give you a ring. ;) LOL. My Mom ad I polished off a bottle of Champagne on Christmas Day.

Don't call us...we'll call you. ;)
Sorry Lute...didn't mean to hijack this thread.

KYS
12-29-2008, 06:15 PM
We are pretty boring at our age.
Going out for an early dinner, than we will come home watch a little T.V.
with my favorite fur babe Rocky. Eat some sweets before our New Years resolution to eat healthier.
Than go to bed and watch some more TV till we fall asleep. :p

K9karen
12-29-2008, 10:50 PM
For the last 100 years, I've gone to my bff's with 3 other couples. Tradition was Trivial Pursuit right after midnight, until the wee hours of the morn, sometimes involving a sleepover..or pass out if you prefer. :rolleyes::p

As time went on..we noticed we were starting to fade BEFORE midnight..showing our ages!! :D Of course, we MUST watch Dick Clark Rockin' NYE and then we switch channels. Of course we eat like piggies. John is designated driver for me. This year I'm bringing Ceasar Salad. If anyone's grown kids stop by, it winds up being a huge celebration. Can't think of a better way to celebrate. My bf for over 50 years and our buddies.

blue
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
If one of my neighbors bust out the fireworks and booze Ill be there with the dogs running amuck, if not I shelter here at home.

davidpizzica
12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Going nowhere, doing nothing. Fine with me!! 2009 is coming whether I'm asleep or awake. Why waste sleep over it??

Sweetheart, I'll be doing the same! If I'm lucky enough, I'll stay up to watch Dick Clark Rockin' Eve, then watch the ball drop. (or maybe tape it). I may be showing my age, but when I was a kid mom, dad and I would listen to Guy Lombardo and his orchestra play "Auld Lang Syne" just before midnight. A long time ago!

Whisk_Luva
12-30-2008, 09:13 AM
I dont really know what we are doing. I guess the usual of having a load of snacks etc.... watch a film or a comedian or something like that.... then a few minutes to midnight we usually watch big ben chime midnight on TV.

Alysser
12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I am going to I_luv_Rusty's house for a sleep over. I generally go to my godfather's house for a New Year's party but he isn't having one this year. I would love to go to New York to see the ball drop but crowds and cold isn't really my thing. :D

sparks19
12-30-2008, 01:19 PM
nothing much.

Brian has to work new years eve day and new years day and Hannah goes to bed between 8 and 9 pm lol so we will be at home enjoying some tv and a few drinks and each other and just hang out. doubt we will make it to midnight though lol

Edwina's Secretary
12-30-2008, 01:58 PM
We have always enjoyed making a big deal out of NYE. In Chicago we spent NYE with a couple and took turns coming up with clever things to do.

One year it was a train ride to Milwaukee and a murder mystery was performed on the trained and solved at dinner in Milwaukee. We all dressed in period 1930's clothes.

One of my favorites was a Russian nightclub. It was 10 - 12 courses of fish - vodka - Russian dancers...really wild. Way over the top and we were just about the only non-Russian or Polish speakers in the place.

One year was at a historic hotel in Milwaukee (something about NYE and Milwaukee!) where we crashed a formal German society mardi gras dance that was also taking place in the hotel.

Things are more sedate here in SoCal. Last year we went to a beachfront hotel in Laguna Beach which was lovely. Dined and slept with the sound of the crashing waves (we came to understand why they provided ear plugs in the rooms!) This year we will go to a party with four other couples at a country club.

krazyaboutkatz
12-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I'll be sitting at home with my furkids watching t.v or maybe a movie/dvd that I own. Real exciting huh.:)

Cincy'sMom
12-30-2008, 09:17 PM
We are havinga small party at our house, something we have done most years since we got married. Nothing too thrilling...good freinds, good food, and usually play some games. Last year it was Wii boxing until 3 am. WE got Outdoor Adventure for the Wii for Christmas, so that could be entertaining!

blue
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Sweetheart, I'll be doing the same! If I'm lucky enough, I'll stay up to watch Dick Clark Rockin' Eve, then watch the ball drop. (or maybe tape it). I may be showing my age, but when I was a kid mom, dad and I would listen to Guy Lombardo and his orchestra play "Auld Lang Syne" just before midnight. A long time ago!

Is Dick Clark still alive? I was under the idea he has been a CGI creation for the last few years.

davidpizzica
12-31-2008, 02:58 AM
Is Dick Clark still alive? I was under the idea he has been a CGI creation for the last few years.

Blue, he may look like a CGI creation, but Dick Clark is still among the living. He suffered a stroke a couple of years ago, but he still does the new years Rockin' Eve show.

ramanth
12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Andy and I are going over to a friends house where we'll wine and dine, watch movies, play Wii, and do some Star Wars trivia. :D

anna_66
12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
I'll be working most of the day, but when I come home I'll get me a nice Long Island Tea, take a shower, have dinner (I'm cooking a ham as we speak) then make my husband play some board games with me and try to stay awake till midnight (I work all day long tomorrow).

pitc9
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
My hubby and I will be at our house with another couple.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Stay Safe!

Pembroke_Corgi
12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Probably napping on the couch! I may try to stay up, but I'm not sure if I will make it or not. My husband and I will probably just go out to eat or order in and then hang out.

Freedom
12-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Plan change due to a snow storm. It started snowing just after 9 this morning, and will continue overnight, anywhere for 4 to 6 inches predicted, with blistering wind chills!

So not going out for Chinese food, decided that won't work for Dad. I bought some appetizer type things to make here. My bro will come over if the driving permits.

And not going to the Zoo tomorrow either, the high will be 21, with wind chills close to zero. I don't need to see the Arctic Foxes THAT much! :eek:

Bengalz
12-31-2008, 08:05 PM
My favourite way to spend an evening - with my husband and my little furbaby - having a quiet dinner, drinking good wine and listening to good music :love: just the best way to end a year and reflect on a new one :D:D

Happy New Year to everyone wherever you are :)

Suki Wingy
01-01-2009, 02:17 AM
I don't see the first of the year as a holiday. I haven't really done anything special for about 7 years. This time my friend and I watched Angel online from a Chinese site for about 6 and a half hours straight.