PDA

View Full Version : An after-Christmas question about store returns

cassiesmom
12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
PT friends, I have a question for you. I bought a sweater (on sale) to wear to church on Christmas Eve. I cut the tags off, put it on and it was waaaay too small. It was the size I usually buy but I didn't try it on in the store. So I took it off, folded it and set it aside to return for a credit. I even put it where Cassie couldn't lay on it, thinking that cat hair would limit its returnability.

Today I paper clipped the tags to my sales receipt and went to the store. The sales person told me that store policy is not to accept for return items with the tags removed, even if the tags are brought back with the item. Also that items returned with missing tags cannot be resold. But she knows I am a fairly regular shopper at that store and would make an exception on my behalf. Is this usual?

At my next stop (Ulta Cosmetics), the customer after me was trying to return a Burt's Bees gift set without a receipt and the clerk wouldn't take it back. That I could see, because it's cosmetics and the store would have no way to know if anything in the gift set was used.

I gave gift receipts with all my gifts this year ... what's up with retail stores that they're cracking down on returns?

Thanks,
Elyse

Catlady711
12-27-2008, 09:55 PM
There is SOOOO much retail fraud going on and businesses are already short on money this year so they HAVE to crack down.

A store would have no idea that the tags you're bringing back actually belong to that item of clothing. People have been know to switch things to get a bigger return from an unsuspecting sales clerk.

You're right on the cosmetics. I think that falls under the same catagory with underwear as a safety thing.

Karen
12-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Stores are getting more cautious - so next time, try on the garment before you cut off the tags! I'll be returning a sweater tomorrow in the same situation, but don't expect a problem.

I am surprised they don't have a system to scan the tag and see if it matches the item description in their inventory. I'd write to their head office, or see if they have a sign posted in the stores that tells that policy to the public.
Was there another sweater, still on the rack that you could have pointed out matched? After Christmas returns is a crazy time, and scammers and thieves know it, and are more active than at other times of the year, trying to sneak by in all the rush and fuss.

Cosmetics are not returnable - there are signs at least everywhere I shop that say so. Too many illnesses could be passed along from one person to another with a simple swipe of a lipstick. But, in any case, most places will not take a return without a receipt. There's no proof you bought it there, or what price you paid for it.

I once worked retail and had a customer try to demand a refund for a necklace that I knew she had not bought at our store - we didn't sell anything like it. There was a sign stating that returns needed to be made within 30 days and MUST be accompanied by a receipt. She ranted and raved, yelling at me when I tried to tell her the rules. I even said that if she wanted to take it up with the manager, that she would be working all day the next day. I was alone in the store, and several other customers were waiting, and much to my relief, after she finally gave up and went yelling down the length of the mall, every single one turned to me and said "Honey, it is not your fault. She was wrong."

pomtzu
12-28-2008, 06:51 AM
I can understand not being able to return cosmetics for health reasons, as well as the fact that some could have been used, so the store couldn't put it back out for resale.

As far as clothing, I have never personally had a problem returning anything as long as I had the receipt and tag. I have since not removed tags until I try an item on and know that it fits and I'll be keeping it.

However, I have bought clothing items that had a tag attached and saying that it would not be returnable if the tag is removed. The one that comes to mind was a beaded top and jacket with matching slacks that I bought to wear to a wedding. Obviously, people buy items like this for basically one time use and wear them and then return them - as dishonest as this practice is. I guess more stores are going with this policy even on everyday items to prevent people from doing this. Can't say that I blame them!

Bonny
12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
I always leave the tags on when I try stuff on at home in case I have to take it back. That is when I buy stuff with out trying on & am in a hurry which never works out because I end up taking it back. You think I would learn? Here is a good one. A friend works at Wal Mart & he has to look things over & open boxes that people return with items in them. Well a lady bought the item in the box back & wanted her money back. It turned out she put her old item in the box & wanted her money back, while she still had the new item at home. Naughty! Naughty! Lady!

Randi
12-28-2008, 09:29 AM
The return policy in Denmark is that if you return something with the tag on and have the receit, or if you don't have the receit, but a sealed label on it that says you can change it or get your money back, then there's no problem. The bigger department stores give you your money back within a month, but in some shops you have to do it within three days - and some only give you a receit for the outstanding amount, so you have to buy another item in that shop.

I think it's fair enough.

cassiesmom
12-28-2008, 06:20 PM
It even says on the receipt what the return policy is. I should have put the sweater on before I cut the tags. It's from my favorite store and the size (but not the brand) I usually buy, so I just assumed it would fit fine. That is what I get for being in a big hurry. I am just glad the sales lady made an exception for me. Now I know to take a longer look with that particular brand.

moosmom
12-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Try returning it to Bed, Bath & Beyond. They take ANYTHING back!!! Just kidding.

Talk to a supervisor if you're not satisfied.

kitten645
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm in retail and there are certain things I won't take back but it's on a case by case basis sometimes. I am officially never shopping at Border's again. I spend beaucoup bucks with them to support a "brick and morter" store rather than going cheaper with Amazon. They refused to exchange a book for me with a Border's tag on it! They could easily look at mey Reward's card and see how much I've spent. So I'm done with them. Now it's the local independent book store or Amazon. :rolleyes:
Claudia