PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO not another one!

Purr-tender
12-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I got a frantic call from a friend this evening. She was at a local gas station and there was a cat darting in and out of the pumps. She wanted me to take it. I told her that I had 17 and just could not take in one more. She was outside calling it while she was talking to me. She kept saying "It's gonna get hit, it's gonna get hit! Can't you please take her?!" Ok, so what am I suppose to do? Let her get hit? Soooo, she's in my garage in a cage:rolleyes:. I am so depressed. I just adopted out one of my babies to a wonderful home and was relieved to have one less to worry about. My friend said she would pay for all the vetting. That's great, but I am so over-capacity now it's ridiculous! This newbie is white with grey tabby patches. She appears to be about a year old. She's got a little runny eyes going on but looks healthy otherwise. I hate having her in a cage but I don't have anywhere else to isolate her till I have her checked out and tested. I just needed to vent. BTW I haven't told my husband yet:eek:. He's not going to be happy!!

Mary (I'm such a sucker!)

Laura's Babies
12-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Once word gets around that you are a cat person, you are always the first one everybody calls. It happen to me all the time but they have finally learned I DO say "No!" and have quit doing it so often... Good luck with the new one..

Emeraldgreen
12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Thank you Mary for taking this cat in even though you have so many others to care for right now. The cage he/she is in is so much better than being scared and running around a gas station.
How old does he/she look? Maybe a Pet Talk home can be found for this cat. That would be ideal. And then you can get back to 16 cats, a reasonable number. ;)
Are you able to snap a couple of pics of the cat?

Purr-tender
12-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Lara, you're right, being in the cage is much better than where she was. I just told my husband what I did. He is furious!! Not so much at me but at my friend. I feel awful but I don't know what else I could have done. My friend is such a high-strung type person, and she is feeding and vetting most of the cats in her neighborhood. Her house cats are VERY territorial and she can't deal with the drama. That's why she always calls me. She is also the type of person that just doesn't understand NO! Which I did tell her and you see how that worked out:rolleyes:.

I can get pics of the newbie but I'm not sure how to post them. Would you PM me how?

Emeraldgreen
12-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Lara, you're right, being in the cage is much better than where she was. I just told my husband what I did. He is furious!! Not so much at me but at my friend. I feel awful but I don't know what else I could have done. My friend is such a high-strung type person, and she is feeding and vetting most of the cats in her neighborhood. Her house cats are VERY territorial and she can't deal with the drama. That's why she always calls me. She is also the type of person that just doesn't understand NO! Which I did tell her and you see how that worked out:rolleyes:.

I can get pics of the newbie but I'm not sure how to post them. Would you PM me how?

Sent you a PM. :)

Catty1
12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I wonder if she would use any of her energy to join/create a TNR group?

Emeraldgreen is doing so in her area, after contacting another group in another town, and someone is going to come speak to a few interested people.

Is there a TNR person or group in your area? Your friend might be able to use her high strung energy in a long-term way...preventing more strays from being born.

Prayers that the little sweetie is ok!

ETA: Links for your friend, and maybe you:

http://www.petfbi.org/

PDF worth a read: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets/pdf/depts/prevMed/research/freeroamingCats.pdf

Ohio Humane has TNR and is looking for volunteers: http://www.humaneohio.org/get_involved.htm (Toledo)

http://catss.homestead.com/FactSheetsTrapNeuterReturn.html (Vermilion Ohio)

These groups can refer you to ones nearby. I hope your friend checks these out. She has the money and energy.

Purr-tender
12-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Catty, you'd have to know my friend. She's not the kind of person who would do anything like that. She's quite unique. She has spayed/neutered so many of the neighborhood cats. She's spends most of her money on the cats, never for herself. It seems like just when she/we think everyone is fixed, another one shows up. There isn't a TNR group here. We can't even get the Humane Society off the ground. They've been working on that for over 2 years and still all I hear is talk, talk, talk. I tried to help but got fed up with the board of directors. That's why I have taken on so much myself. When I get really desperate there are a couple of no-kill shelters that will occasionally take kittens when they have room.

Lara PM'd me on how to post photos, so tomorrow I'll try and get a couple of pics of the newbie. I'll have to think of a name for her. I'm planning on taking her to the vet on Monday for testing and vaccines.

Catty1
12-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Can you PM me the town where you live?

That first link I posted, as well as cattss - heck, they seem to have enough organization and punch to come to your town and get them going and show them how it's done!

Karen
12-27-2008, 11:41 PM
And remember, just because she's there now does not means she's a permanent resident. Just safe for now.

Purr-tender
12-27-2008, 11:58 PM
I know, Karen. It just that most of the crew who are here now weren't suppose to be permanent, either. I'm an awful failure when it comes to finding homes.

Karen
12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
I know, Karen. It just that most of the crew who are here now weren't suppose to be permanent, either. I'm an awful failure when it comes to finding homes.

Just remember LIFO - Last In, First Out!

Anikaca77
12-28-2008, 04:16 AM
Thank you for taking in this baby boy and it sounds like your friend is doing all she can to help out the strays by getting them fixed.

I'm just sorry she couldn't take him in for you but like Karen said First one out. I'm sure at his age you'll have no problem adopting him out quickly.

Take care and thanks for taking him in.

Melissa

Medusa
12-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Mary, I live in Ohio so if you don't live too far away, perhaps we can join forces and see if we can find homes for some of your "failures". We might even be able to get a TNR group off the ground. PM me, if you would be so kind, and I at least may be able to help in finding a home for your latest temporary resident. In the meantime, stand in front of a mirror and practice saying "NNNO!". LOL :)

catmandu
12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I know what you are going through as at one point there were 15 Found Cats here. Sadly old age and illness have taken us down to 10 Cats which is manageable, but now Sir Lawrence who may be ill, Sunny Scrappito and Ebony Tubster are Porch Cats and I have a moral dilemma.
To keep just feeding them, and hope they dont get hurt and PTS as did sadly some previous Porch Cats:eek: , or take them in as I did Tubster Panther.:love:
Bless you for taking that Cat out of danger, and giving him a chance at a better life.:love::love::love:

kb2yjx
12-28-2008, 05:27 PM
So true, once you are know as a " cat person," you get all the calls for help!!! You did a great thing helping out this little girl....

moosmom
12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for helping this sweet kitty. I seem to have a neon "VACANCY" light in my window, or I'd help you out.

As a very good friend once told me, "Ya just good learn to say I'd love to but can't". I know how difficult it is.

Purr-tender
12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
I took the new kitty, now Bailey, to the vet today. She had a good checkup. She got her first set of shots, wormed and FIV negative. The vet estimated that she is between 1 and 2 years old. I'm still keeping her isolated but did bring her in this evening to watch a movie with us. She was very content to curl up on my lap. I'm going to call the no-kill shelter tomorrow, they're closed on Mondays, and see if they have room for one more. It is a fantastic facility and I trust them. Unfortunately they are usually full. I'll let you know what happens.

Karen
12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
I took the new kitty, now Bailey, to the vet today. She had a good checkup. She got her first set of shots, wormed and FIV negative. The vet estimated that she is between 1 and 2 years old. I'm still keeping her isolated but did bring her in this evening to watch a movie with us. She was very content to curl up on my lap. I'm going to call the no-kill shelter tomorrow, they're closed on Mondays, and see if they have room for one more. It is a fantastic facility and I trust them. Unfortunately they are usually full. I'll let you know what happens.

Aww, that sounds good - a lap kitty! And a clean bill of health as well - do keep us updated!