PDA

View Full Version : Acid Reflux Advice for An Elderly Cat Mandu

catmandu
12-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I am having trouble swallowing, and if anyone has a nice home remedy or ideas, they would be so apprecaited.
The Cats are intriqued as it might mean more meat, as I may have to be more vegetarian.:love::love:

Purr-tender
12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Gary, acid reflux doesn't cause trouble swallowing. I have acid reflux and it causes really bad heart burn. I was living on antacids until the doctor diagnosed the reflux. Now I take Protonix and it takes away the burning. What other symptoms do you have besides the trouble swallowing?

Mary

Karen
12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Do you notice any pattern to the trouble, does it seem to happen with only certain foods? Are you also having trouble breathing, or just swallowing? This is worrying, as this is how my mother's diagnosis of ALS (Lou Gerhig's disease) started.

Medusa
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Gary, if it's truly acid reflux, you can buy papaya enzymes at GNC. Chew three of them and it'll get rid of the burning and they taste good, too. I tried Prilosec, etc. and none of them worked as well as the enzymes and you'll get immediate relief. However, if you're having trouble swallowing, then that's something else entirely and you should see a doctor immediately. I sure hope you feel better soon and that you'll keep us updated.

Catty1
12-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Gary, maybe it is your diabetes telling you to get your food re-evaluated.

Talk to your doctor and maybe lay off the buffets for a month or two.

{{{{hugs}}}}

RICHARD
12-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Gary,

Heart burn and trouble swallowing are two different problems.

Heartburn means you have a problem with your pyloric valve (pie-loh-ric) that keeps your gastric juices in your stomach. When you eat spicy, too much and lie down you get that 'blow back' that makes you miserable.

For trouble swallowing you may want to see a doc, just to be on the safe side?

Good luck!:)

Daisy and Delilah
12-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Gary,

Heart burn and trouble swallowing are two different problems.

Heartburn means you have a problem with your pyloric valve (pie-loh-ric) that keeps your gastric juices in your stomach. When you eat spicy, too much and lie down you get that 'blow back' that makes you miserable.

For trouble swallowing you may want to see a doc, just to be on the safe side?

Good luck!:)

This is exactly what I was going to say. Gary, please get to the doctor as soon as you can. You do a marvelous job of taking care of the cats and you have to take care of Gary too. Please update us on this.

Medusa
12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Gary, another possibility is a hiatal hernia. My dad had one and he had difficulty swallowing. Best to get to a dr. and have it checked out. :)

Freedom
12-28-2008, 11:16 AM
What everyone else already said.

Gary, please let us know how you are doing!

pomtzu
12-28-2008, 12:47 PM
This is nothing to mess with Gary - I speak from experience. I wouldn't want to have to tell you some of my horror stories to scare you in to going. Just get to the doctor like everyone else said - Please???!!!

Barbara
12-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Difficulties from swallowing can all kind of trouble- from a bad cold to Parkinson. If it stays that way go see a doctor.

Randi
12-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Gary, whatever the problem is, I think it's a good idea to cut down on the fatty things, and also drink a lot of water - that's always good. :)

Take care, and get an appointment with your doc monday morning. I hope it's nothing serious. :)

catmandu
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WEDNESDAY AT THE MEDICAL CENTRE FOR MY POOR SWOLLEN DIABETIC FOOT, AND THEY ARE GOING TO DO A SIME SWALLOWING TEST.
ITS WAS BAD YESTERDAY , I BOUGHT US A SOFT ICE CREAM CONE, BUT COULDNT FINISH IT, AND SWALLOWING MY MEDS WAS A REAL CHOIR.
OH WELL, COME WAHT MAY MY CATS ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF AT THE PAMPERED FELINE FOR LIFE :love::love::love:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1773.jpg

caseysmom
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WEDNESDAY AT THE MEDICAL CENTRE FOR MY POOR SWOLLEN DIABETIC FOOT, AND THEY ARE GOING TO DO A SIME SWALLOWING TEST.
ITS WAS BAD YESTERDAY , I BOUGHT US A SOFT ICE CREAM CONE, BUT COULDNT FINISH IT, AND SWALLOWING MY MEDS WAS A REAL CHOIR.
OH WELL, COME WAHT MAY MY CATS ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF AT THE PAMPERED FELINE FOR LIFE :love::love::love:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1773.jpg

Oh please don't talk like that you will be fine, and I am glad you have an appointment.

cassiesmom
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Fingers and paws crossed that everything will go well at the appointment, Catmandu.

Medusa
12-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Prayers are going up for you right now, Gary, that all will be well and that you'll feel better soon. Keep the faythe. :love:

phesina
12-28-2008, 06:45 PM
We're all saying our prayers and doing our dances and sending our healing energies to you, Gary! We're so glad you have an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday, and we hope this is something that can be taken care of easily.

Love and hugs and purrs from your friends in Michigan
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, Sparkler (Sparkler?)

catmandu
12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
WHATS A GOOD HOME REMEDY FOR THE HEARTBURN THAT I AM HAVING, AND THE DISCOMFORT OF FEELING FULL AFTER A FEW BITES?
AND I AM GOING TO BE AROOUND A WHILE YET, MY CAT ANGELS :love::love:HAVE LET ME KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE WELCOME STATION AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE!!!!:love::love:

Medusa
12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
WHATS A GOOD HOME REMEDY FOR THE HEARTBURN THAT I AM HAVING, AND THE DISCOMFORT OF FEELING FULL AFTER A FEW BITES?
AND I AM GOING TO BE AROOUND A WHILE YET, MY CAT ANGELS :love::love:HAVE LET ME KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE WELCOME STATION AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE!!!!:love::love:

Buy the papaya enzymes at GNC, Gary. They work fast and they taste good, too.

Cinder & Smoke
12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi God ~

Thought we otta call onna KAT Line - kuz it's about Mr. Gary -aka CatManDu -
da bi-ped KatDad ...

He's not feelin so hot --- wunna da FootPaws is givin him sum trubbel;
anna Swallowin Pipe is hurtin real bad, too.

We're hopin You can arrange fur Tubby & Peanut ta gas up the Silver Klowd
and run You down here onna ole Durt Ball in tyme fur Mr. Gary's Wednesday
White Coat 'pointment ... so's You could Help wiffa consult.

Awful lotta Kat Kritters dependin on Mr. Gary - we gotta keep him in
A-#1 Tippy-Toppy shape!

We gotz da Purrayer Kandilz all lited up, an we'll all be *krossin* Pawz & Klawz
till we hear Mr. Gary is onna mend.

THANKS fur Your Help, God!

/s/ the Purrayer Pups

Daisy and Delilah
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Phred. Gary needed some special prayers. Hang in there, Gary and give us an update as soon as you know something.

Catty1
12-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Gary, if you will PM me your age, height and weight I will calculate your BMI for you. This shows how much lean mass you have, and is another health tool. You can also do it yourself here: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Hope all goes well for you.

catmandu
12-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Well I go in for test Tomorrow , and take that test again where they put barium on a stick and you see if you can swalow it.
And Catty 1, I am 5' 9 '' about 200 pounds , and I know it says I should be a middleweight about 160.
I am not as active as I am retired so my BMI will be awful.
I will pass on any news I get, but its awful having heartburn from mild foods.:eek::eek:

Catty1
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Gary, your BMI is 29.5

30 and up is considered obese; overweight is 25 to 29.9.

18.5 - 24.9 is healthy.

I know you love bringing the kitties bags from the buffets - but I think they would rather have the best CatDad in the world around for as long as possible.

Order from the menu for a while - one helping. And if you think you might be hooked on overeating, talk to your doc about that.

{{{{hugs}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Gary, I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well and are having problems swallowing.:( Hopefully your doctor can find out what's causing this and will be able to help you.

I had gastritis earlier this year and I would get a burning sensation and severe stomach pain. It was caused by taking pain meds that irritated my stomach lining. I hope that you don't have anything serious. You'll be in my prayers. Please keep us updated and take care of yourself.

shepgirl
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Do you notice any pattern to the trouble, does it seem to happen with only certain foods? Are you also having trouble breathing, or just swallowing? This is worrying, as this is how my mother's diagnosis of ALS (Lou Gerhig's disease) started.

Karen might be on the right track. M.S. also causes the same thing you describe.

catmandu
01-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I am 190 now, the lightest I have been as an adult, I was once 288 pounds!
And I had some good advice, which is to take baby bites I think that I was gulping my food and not chewing it.
I am getting Nexium now, maybe that will help.
I have more pills to take , as I have infections under my toes now.
But at least they are being taken care of, in many countries they wouldnt be.

phesina
01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
That's good, Gary. Sounds like you are getting the situation under control!

Happy New Year, all!