PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news on Jay Baldwin case...

moosmom
12-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Ansonia man faces suits in wake of cat abuse case

By Lauren Garrison, Register Staff

ANSONIA — Jay Baldwin, the city man accused of abusing kittens, has been released from prison and is participating in a treatment program for people with psychiatric disabilities, but his legal troubles are not yet over.

Both Baldwin’s former landlord and the woman who adopted out kittens to him plan to file small claims lawsuits against Baldwin to recoup expenses they say he caused them.

Irene Hudobenko of Ansonia paid out of her own pocket for an autopsy, testing and cremation for My Little Boy, the kitten she allowed Baldwin to adopt who later died in his care. She is seeking between $700 and $800 in repayment from Baldwin to cover these expenses.

Hudobenko said she decided not to seek relief from the emotional pain Baldwin caused her or lost wages from the time she spent attending all his court appearances for the criminal case.

JoAnne Martino of Shelton, who rented out an Ansonia apartment to Baldwin prior to his arrest in August, is also looking to recoup losses she claims Baldwin caused.

Martino is still tallying up the bills, but said she expects to seek between $4,000 and $5,000.

When Martino went to survey the apartment Baldwin vacated, “It was like walking into a disaster area. It was like wall to wall, ceiling to floor debris,” she said. She described how the clothing, canned goods, air conditioners, vacuum cleaners and refrigerators Baldwin hoarded filled the apartment, leaving little room to walk. One bedroom was so packed full of stuff, she could barely open the door.

Martino had to pay to clear out all the stuff Baldwin had left behind. She also had to pay to repaint the walls, replace the carpet and bring in an exterminator to get rid of the fleas infesting the apartment. Martino said the paint and carpeting had been brand new when Baldwin moved into the apartment.

Baldwin also owes Martino four months of rent, totalling almost $2,500. She also aims to recoup the attorneys fees she paid when trying to evict Baldwin from the apartment.

The maximum amount one can sue for in a small claims lawsuit is $5,000, according to the clerk at Superior Court in Derby.

Martino said she realizes Baldwin doesn’t have much money saved, but said he receives a disability check, free housing and services, and is able to work.

“I don’t care if he has to pay me $5 a week forever, I’m not going to let him get away with what he did,” she said.

At this point, the only thing stopping Hudobenko and Martino from serving their lawsuits is that they can’t find Baldwin. The treatment program Baldwin is participating in requires him to be supervised by a probation officer, an employee of the state Department of Developmental Services and staff from Birmingham Group Health Services. Hudobenko said she called Birmingham, which said it has no record of Baldwin.

Birmingham was closed Friday and a representative couldn’t be reached for comment.

Hudobenko has also attempted to contact the victim’s advocate at Superior Court and the prosecutor who handled the criminal case against Baldwin to find out where to serve the lawsuit.

“I know that they can’t tell me where he lives ... but where do I send the forms? It’s an easy thing, just let me know,” she said.

jennielynn1970
12-27-2008, 06:37 AM
How does he just disappear? Isn't there someone who is supposed to be monitoring him?? Someone needs a kick in the rear for not doing their job and letting this guy possibly move on to another city/state, changing names, and starting all over again.

moosmom
12-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Jenn,

ALL of us have been making phone calls to the prosecutor and victim's advocate to no avail. :mad: But not to worry. Next month all the newbies come into office at the State Legislature. Let's see if they'll put their money where their mouths are.

I'm also going to write an article for the New London Day about animal abuse and how out of control it is. I need to do research to find out how many states have already made animal abuse a felony. And they thought once this trial is over with we'd go away. NUH UH!!!

The media is a wonderful thing, isn't it??? If you go into connpost.com, Kate's article is in there as well. Media Blitz, here we come!!!

Medusa
12-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Today, w/cell phones, pagers, internet, etc., if you can't be found, you don't want to be found and it can be maddening to the people trying to find you. He may be professional at this by now and, because the case is about animal abuse and not human abuse, it's doubtful that any effort will be made to find him even by the new people in office. I hope that isn't the case but I won't hold my breath. Shameful but true.

Laura's Babies
12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
It sounds like they are protecting HIM! They are probably hoping he has just moved away and not their problem anymore..

pomtzu
12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I need to do research to find out how many states have already made animal abuse a felony.

Donna - Check out americanhumane.org - you'll find all kinds of interesting info there. It seems that 45 states plus D.C all have made animal abuse a felony - INCLUDING CONNECTICUT. Interesting, huh??? You can actually go state by state and see what the punishment is "supposed" to be. Somebody missed the boat in Baldwin's case by the looks of it!!! :mad: The only states that don't consider it a felony are Idaho, North & South Dakota, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

moosmom
12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Pomtzu,

WHAT???:confused: A felony in CT?? I was under the impression that it was still a misdemeanor. I'll check out the site and let you know.

moosmom
12-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I just read on the pet-abuse.com that animal abuse IS a felony. HOWEVER, it is at the discretion of the presiding judge whether to make it a felony or a misdemeanor. In the Baldwin case, the Judge was a pansy-@$$ and let him off in a crappy program that obviously doesn't work. Jay Baldwin is walking proof of that.

pomtzu
12-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I just read on the pet-abuse.com that animal abuse IS a felony. HOWEVER, it is at the discretion of the presiding judge whether to make it a felony or a misdemeanor. In the Baldwin case, the Judge was a pansy-@$$ and let him off in a crappy program that obviously doesn't work. Jay Baldwin is walking proof of that.

Well I just don't get it then!!! :confused: CT law describes felony cruelty to animals as "intentionally and maliciously maims, tortures, mutilates, wounds, or kills". What part of that doesn't apply to Baldwin??? How does all that become a misdemeanor? The judge has the power to make a different interpretation of his actions??? :mad:

moosmom
12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
That's why we need to change the Ct law to make it a MANDATORY felony and not leave it up to some "criminal friendly" judge.

I've emailed the Attorney General to see if he can help us get the address and phone number of Baldwin's probation officer, so he makes sure the small claims paperwork will reach Baldwin.

phesina
12-28-2008, 06:49 PM
It horrifies me that this guy can just walk off into the void, and he'll sooner or later settle down somewhere else and do more of the same things.

I think some people CANNOT be rehabilitated and should be locked up securely to protect the rest of us, and the little creatures in our care, from them.

pomtzu
12-29-2008, 11:27 AM
That's why we need to change the Ct law to make it a MANDATORY felony and not leave it up to some "criminal friendly" judge.

CT lawmakers need to take a look at those who are supposed to follow protocol also!!! IMO. Why make a law if a judge as the option to ignore it? If the criminal fits the description described in the felony, then it should be MANDATORY that the person should be charged as such!!!