PDA

View Full Version : What did you GIVE?

Casper
12-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Really, where is the spirit of Christmas if you don't give, right? :)
Even if it wasn't much I believe every little thing counts.

This year I gave...
- One of the clubs at my school was collecting socks to give to the elderly at a local nursing home. I bought around $50 worth of socks to donate.

- My mum, sister, and I bought $300 worth of canned food for the local food drive.

- Tomorrow I am going to donate some money to NAFA (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AR55.html) in honor of Frisk. I haven't decided on the amount.

- For my mum I got her old clock fixed. It is a beautiful old clock that my dad and his friend hand-made around 20 years ago. It had broken years back and we had never gotten around to fixing it. I took it to a clock shop about an hour away and they fixed it right up. My mum's reaction was the best... I didn't know the clock meant that much to her!

-For my sister I am in the process of painting a picture of Skylar for her. I wish I could have gotten it done before today, but I waited until the last minute. I have a problem with procrastinating.

-The pets got toys, treats, etc. etc. The typical stuff. :-)

Due to saving up for college expenses I did not get to donate as much as I wanted to this year, but it feels great to have done what I was able to do.

so... What did you all give?

Alysser
12-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Great thread, Court! =)

I gave my sister a Juicy Couture(sp?) tote bag, I paid for half. My mom paid for the other half. I gave my dad a Brookestone giftcard, I gave Star a nice toy and my mom got the new Ipod nano from me and my brother and sister. I didn;t get my brother anything YET I couldn't find him anything! I'll prob. get him a shirt or something. He's quite hard to shop for. I feel bad because he gave me a trip to NYC that Isn't even over yet.

blue
12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I sent 5 pounds of king crab to my dads house, and Ill be doing some computor networking wiring here at my moms house.

Scooter's Mom
12-25-2008, 05:24 PM
My sister-in-law (on my side) and nieces all got necklaces that are crosses. Handmade by myself and my mother-in-law (hubby's mom). I don't know what to get my brother yet. The gifts need to be shipped, so I have a little time.

My best friend got a handmade necklace. I picked everything out and my mother-in-law made it.

Two great-nieces are getting Horton Hears a Who, which came with a stuffed Horton. One great niece is also getting a tinkerbell sleeping bag, as yesterday was her 2nd birthday.

Then there were a few random things I did this year for people I don't normally do for.

AllAmericanPUP
12-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I gave..

Brother matt- Dragon Ball Z season 5
Brother gary - DVS shoes
"nephew" tommy - DC shoes
"neice" whisper - 3 of the twighlight book series
Sister Melissa- pink bathrobe
Parents - remote control caddy
Brother wes - craftsman tape measure
Wes's gf - Curious perfume & pink illini shirt
Nephew Kyle - aquadoodle mat
Neice Carly - submarine for bath time
Brother LK - ACE level & snap on flaslight & knife
LK's girlfriend - gift basket of soaps & body spray..cant remember the scent but it's her favourite & a necklace
Cousin Anne - sex & the city movie DVD

carole
12-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Well i think my best gift was the gift i made up for the charity tree, i did a thread about it, as i had so much fun doing it , i just had to share, on xmas day i was thinking about the three little girls who would be opening a large parcel each with three individual gifts inside, laden with barbie dolls, kelly dolls,jewellery, sweets,soft toys, dolls clothes etc etc, i only wish i could see them open them, but just knowing someone out there who had little, had a fun day is all i needed.

I gave my great nephew the gift of reading, in some rather cute books, one was a jigsaw puzzle, the other one of those pull and lift tab type books, and two other ones that had Cd's with them.

My children we gave money, and perfume, and movie cards and burger king vouchers.

My parents i gave some scottish fudge and edinburgh rock,we don't give big on the adults, infact hubby and I did not give this year, we had an expensive end of year.

Kfamr
12-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Mom:
A few turtles
Miracle Grow
A nice flower pot/bench
her favorite chocolates
new gardening tools
new hose attachment/sprayer

Grandma:
Cookie cutters (she only has 4 and was saying she needed to get more)
Shoes (she commented on how she liked my slip-ons, so I bought her a pair.)
$25 to a restaurant and I told her to pick a day, we'd go to dinner and see Marley & Me.

Dad:
Sears gift card
his favorite chocolates

Sister:
Gift Card to an organic store
Oil Diffuser/Candle thing

Brother:
T-shirt
Hat
walmart gift card
Magnet that says "Eat, Sleep, Fish!"

Cinder & Smoke
12-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Brother:
* Magnet that says "Eat, Sleep, Fish!"

:D
Words to live by!

:cool:

luvofallhorses
12-25-2008, 08:16 PM
my brother

a tool socket set
walmart gift card
hastings gift card
a ritz cracker, sausage, and hot mustard gift set

my brothers girlfriend
bath and body works stuff - I got her an awesome smelling candle!
walmart gift card
a coffee pot

my mom
a bible and cover she asked for
a really pretty bookmark - it's better than a bookmark to me :)
sugar free chocolates
an apron
Paula Dean knife set
slipper socks that smell like lilac :)

my dad
a coca-cola ornament filled with coca-cola just because he loves coke!
a bag of chocolate (york peppermint patties, reeses, kisses, and other hersheys candies)
a robe
socks
colonge

one of my co-workers I gave her a tea set, my boss hot chocolate set, and my other co-worker a flavored coffee set.

animal_rescue
12-25-2008, 08:26 PM
My boyfriend:
A green work shirt and tie
A blue work shirt and tie
Princess Bride DVD
An American Psycho book
An autographed picture of myself framed, yea this was his fav.:rolleyes:

My twin:
Matching shoes and purse
An ipod

My little sister:
5 Cds

My youngest sister:
A Hannah Montana cosmetic kit
And a dvd player to share with my other little sister

That's pretty much all I bought for because I really didn't have much money to spend in the first place. I know eventually, probably next month I'm going to replace a ton of my mom's kitchen utensils and she knows that as well so that's going to be a late Christmas present for her.

cali
12-25-2008, 08:56 PM
my mom-Game Shears(too make cutting the dogs food easier)

my dad-a doggie seatbelt and seat cover to help him keep his dog under control in his car when he travels.

my dads fiance-a body shop bath set

my brother-a wal mart gift card

my BFF-new cloths

my godson-a sleeper and a giant teddy

my BFFs spouse-john deer monopoly

my BFF's mom-a vanity plate and a coke thermos

my BFF's litter sister-shoes

my BFF's dad-home baked cookies

my BFF's cat-a decent quality cat food(they were grabbing a bag of meow mix lol, I felt sorry for the cat and bought him a large bag of the best food in the store)

Happy and Ladybug-each got a ball

Electra and Ripley-each got a busy bone

Misty-a tuff tugger toy

Rusty-a sweater

Perky-a squeaker rabbit

Kari-little cat toy thrower ball things

Taz_Zoee
12-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Just as I received, I got everyone gift cards. Except my mom and dad. Mom got a jacket from arf (the shelter I volunteer with) and my dad got slippers.

Suki Wingy
12-25-2008, 09:58 PM
It ended up all being small hand knit stuff from me this year. :o Not only do I not have a job, but I really procrastinated. I still haven't finished my friend's mini TARDIS I'm making her. I just need to sew up the pieces and stuff it.

K9karen
12-25-2008, 10:36 PM
To my brother, a history nut..DVD's on WWII

5 y.o. *Grandaughter* (by association) remote control lavender convertible, driven by Barbie herself.

A musical floor pad that you dance on when it's hooked up to music

A ladybug wrap around bath towel that has a hood with ladybug eyes and antennea and a washcloth mitt to match.

16 m.o, *Grandaughter*, a Playschool cell phone that makes noises and rings.

My 95 y.o. uncle...lots of stuff during the year, so I made a huge dinner and brought it to his house and ate with him. He loved it.

Catty1
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM
About a month or so ago, I was at the grocery store. I bought my stuff, went to customer service for a moment and left my heavyish bags at the checkout.

When I came back, there was an elderly woman from the nearby Stoney nation who was counting out some change. I asked how much she was short, and the cashier said $2.50 or something like that. I said, "Heck, I can help - it's Christmas." and I handed over $5. The cashier said the woman 'reeked of alcohol' and I said, "all the more prayers she needs." I leaned over to the woman and said, "Merry Christmas. Grandmother," and left.

I asked a bunch of friends to donate any Christmas stuff they had...and got a tree, decorations, Walmart gift card, toys, you name it! I drove it all down to a single mom friend of mine in southern Alberta. It was a blast - I didn't even know what was in some of the boxes - it was like Christmas for me too! And some of the tree ornaments were really unique ones.

I got Mom some truffles - she loves them, 5 will last her a year, easily! And I got her a book she really wanted, With or Without God by Gretta Vosper (and she isn't religious!).

I gave several smiles to busy clerks at a local store yesterday and shared a quick chat. The one store clerk felt bad for the girls on the till as they were SO busy. That was great of her - thinking of her co-workers.

It's been a nice season. :)

wolf_Q
12-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not going to name all the gifts...just what we gave my mom. She is a big fan of Neil Diamond, she hadn't seen him in concert since she was in her teens. He was coming to Salt Lake City so my dad and I bought tickets a couple of months ago and kept it a secret. We took her up there telling her we were going shopping, she wasn't sure why we wanted to go shopping in a snow storm but luckily she didn't really suspect anything. She was very surprised and I think she enjoyed herself. :cool:

RipplingWaves55
12-25-2008, 11:43 PM
:love::love: Merry Christmas everyone.

I gave my dad (I love him to death..) two movies (he loves television) and just lots of love to everyone. :) I gave my mom an ACDC CD concert dvd. She loves that band!

.sarah
12-26-2008, 12:23 AM
My mom:
A meat thermometer (hers had broken, and I was clueless this year as to what to get her!). It was a really nice digital one.

My dad:
A gift card to a hunting/fishing store

Both parents:
Picture frames, because I am going to do a photoshoot of them together. They have never had nice pictures of them together, so I suggested this a few weeks ago and my mom was thrilled with the idea!
Made a lot of goodies for them as well, and I cooked Christmas Eve dinner and most of Christmas dinner as well. Everything was homemade... I've spent almost all of the last three days in the kitchen! :)

My brother:
Mario Party 8 for the Wii my parents gave him

My friend Anna:
Some socks from American Eagle that she'd said she really liked
A scarf (a joint gift for her and her roomate - they both love scarves and I have eaten over a few times, so I wanted to say thank you :))

My friend Kristin:
Some necklaces, and a Jeff Dunham DVD

My friend Bradley:
I am making him a scrapbook of photos I'd taken of his dog that died a couple months ago. I am watching his other dog right now while he's on a cruise, so he won't get the present until he returns on Saturday.

Whisk_Luva
12-26-2008, 03:55 AM
My Mum:
What happens in vegas DVD
Take that CD (she loves them)

My Brother:
An air guitar thing (its like, the first part of the guitar, all the frets etc, and you click on those and strum and it has infared sensers or something so it picks up that he is struming and plays). My brothers always air guitaring you see.
A hot wheels sweet set thing (my brother is 17 but he loves hot wheels LOL.... the set had 2 hot wheels in and a bag or 2 of sweets), and a bar of white chocolate.

My Dad:
A Magritte book (his favourite artist)
A calendar I made on my computer (since I was little I have made him a calendar for Christmas. I do the backgrounds on some art software I have and then cut out/edit pictures of Snoopy and put them in. We both love Snoopy)
2 little toblerones (chocolate, not sure if you have them in the US)

My Sister:
All presents were from all of us this year.... but I helped choose out a sparkly ball thing which bounces and its full of bright blue glitter..... etc. My sisters mentally handicapped by the way and functions at the age of 18 months (she is technically 19 years old though). She loves anything noisy, anything colourful and anything that moves (for example cars).... :)

My Friends:
Chocolate and rubber duck key rings (LOL)

Medusa
12-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Aside from what I gave my son which I won't bore you with, I gave what I give every year: my home and lots of food and companionship. I prefer to use my money for Christmas cheer, invite people who have nowhere to go and/or no family, and prepare a feast. I also gave money to those whom I know really need it. :)

catnapper
12-26-2008, 07:54 AM
I gave hubby very exciting set of pots and pans (hey, its what he wanted)
My daughters got their car payments paid for the month, plus some silver jewelry.
My son got much needed clothing, and some of it was much wanted ;)
I gave my mom her mother's ring
My dad got a new rocking recliner
I gave my sister in law a goreous angel charm bracelet
Cameron got TONS of thomas the tank stuff, some Black & Decker Jr. tool sets, and Legos.
All family members got pics of Cameron with Santa

Zippy
12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Aunt and Uncle-Yankee Candle
Cousin Tyler-giftcard to target
Cousin Katie-apple handloction set,flower mug
Grandma-cocker keychain
Grandpa-horse keychain
Katie's friend-chocolate

They all loved there gifts and I was soo happy.

anna_66
12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
We gave coats, hats and gloves to the Salvation Army.

Mark and I gave each other new windows for our home.

To mom we gave a digital photo frame and to dad a new electric razor.

A few small things here and there to friends and family.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-26-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not going to itemize all the things we gave to everyone, but I want to share one item we gave our parents. We gave our parents a picture frame announcing my pregnancy. It was really fun and special. I wasn't able to get a picture of my mother-in-law opening hers, but she and my father-in-law were both surprised and excited with the news. I gave my mom and dad a frame too. Justin handed it to my mom, my dad was sitting next to her, and he told them it was for both of them. My dad really wasn't paying any attention when she first opened it though. Here's a video of my mom's reaction. (Note: I'm the one you hear saying "read it" and my sister is the one you'll hear saying "what does it say?")

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKVvWlSi2y0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKVvWlSi2y0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

cassiesmom
12-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Everyone got clothes. I think they all liked what they got. My brother mostly wears shirts and ties in his new job and I found him a dress shirt with a modest pattern, not too "busy" for days when he has meetings. From what I could tell when he unwrapped it I do believe he liked it. I gave my dad a pull-over sweater with a stripe design that's close to one he already has, so that will get exchanged. I gave my best friend a pickle ornament for her Christmas tree. My mom received one about 10 or 12 years ago, when my youngest nieces were little, and they loved finding the pickle and getting an extra little gift. My best friend's niece is 15 months old now, so her mommy helped her find the pickle this year to start the tradition off in their family.

JenBKR
12-27-2008, 09:41 AM
We gave spme personalized gifts this year, grandparents got gifts with pictures of the grandkids, etc. Two of my neices got clothes from us, one got some art supplies. The best, though, were some gifts to a couple of foster kids (through a friend of mine who is a foster care caseworker) and a movie to my mom - she has been looking for "The Christmas Tree" for years, and we finally found it!

Flatcoatluver
12-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I gave my mom two presents since it was her birthday on the 24th. Her Brithday present was a gorgeus decorative plate of a english setter hunting and for Christmas I got her a cordless mouse.

My Dad: I bought a really nice wind jacket.

My brother: a sweatshirt

My Brother's GF: Raugh Lauren Rocks, It smells so good!

Grandma: Pajamas

Boss: A license plate that says Crazy about Giant Schnauzers and stationary with giant schnauzers on it.

Groomer/Co-worker/Friend: Chocolate since she is obessed and her dog's breed stationary.

Best Friend: The dark Knight dvd, Sees Chocolate, and rubrics cube (inside joke)

shepgirl
12-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Funny but I'm like Medussa. I gave the usual to the kids and grandkids but my home is always open to everyone. We always invite someone who we know has no family and is alone. I also give to our local nursing home - I prepare little gift bags for the patients. The thrill and joy on their faces mean everything to me.