PDA

View Full Version : Let him Smoke!

blue
12-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Obama has come under fire because he still has a few cigs a day. He isnt a boozer, a womaniser or a reformed cokehead. He is a smoker, and a minor one at that.

He is about to take one of the most stressfull jobs and arguably the most important office in the world, there is no reason to sweat him if he has a smoke during the day.

As a smoker Ild have a different take if he was choking down a pack or 2 a day, but he isnt. He may be having 4 or 5 cigs a day.

Many famous world leaders, and authors where smokers, do we detract from them for it? I dont, but then again Im a smoker.

I may not agree with Obama's voting record or his political stance and policy, but if he needs a cig after a stressful meeting or before making a major decission, let him!

There are so many other reasons to go after Obama, let him smoke.

Lady's Human
12-24-2008, 01:47 AM
But.......It's against Federal Law to smoke inside a federally owned building, unless the area is a private office where no other people are habitually do business......which pretty much rules out smoking in the White House.

blue
12-24-2008, 01:55 AM
He can smoke in the Rose garden or any of the balconies on the White House.

If Rush Limpbaugh can smoke in his radio studio, Obama should be able to find away to smoke in the oval office.

Lady's Human
12-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Smoking within a certain number of feet of the entrance to a Federal building is also prohibited.

He's part of nanny state politics, let him deal with it.

Medusa
12-24-2008, 07:03 AM
If he's smoking so few cigarettes a day, he'll probably give it up anyhow. I knew someone who was down to 1/2 cigarette a day and I said "Hardly seems worth it now" and she said that brief sentence made so much sense to her and that's what pushed her over the edge to quit. This reminds me of the comedy movie "Cold Turkey" where if an entire town gave up smoking, they'd get millions of dollars. One last hold-out was a surgeon who was stressed to the max because he hadn't been smoking and was going through withdrawal; he was ready to operate on someone and the patient yelled "For God's sake, let him smoke!" :p

moosmom
12-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Hey, if Michelle Obama doesn't mind him puffing away, and he's home in her bed every night, I say who cares?

Lady's Human,

He's part of nanny state politics, let him deal with it.

Do I sense a little hostility in your post? Diehard McCain fan are we??

Karen
12-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Actually Michelle has asked him to quit many times, according to media reports. There are other ways to deal with stress, and maybe he can find a different way that won't negatively effect his long-term health. That said, it is a family issue, one the public need not "butt" into. Not that that will keep the media from harping on the issue.

lvpets2002
12-24-2008, 09:17 AM
:cool: Thank You Karen.. I dont think we need to get all in his business on this matter.. Frankly I dont Give A Fats Rats Buttt about this matter..

jennielynn1970
12-24-2008, 10:09 AM
I didn't realize he was a smoker, but honestly, it's his health he's dealing with, and if he wants to smoke, let him smoke. There has to be some place he can smoke in the White House, I mean, come on. We're not allowed to smoke at work/school, but they find ways (garage, maintenance offices...).

Lady's Human
12-24-2008, 10:37 AM
The hostility is not towards the President elect, rather towards the politics of the government taking care of you by being mommy, rather than individuals taking care of themselves.

Die hard McCain fan? Hardly.

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2008, 10:49 AM
The government does not forbid people from smoking. The government establishes rules to protect others who may be made sick from the second hand smoke.

Mommy -- or a Nanny State -- would actually prevent you from hurting yourself by prohibiting smoking. The smoking restrictions prevent you from harming other people. A rather legitimate government exercise.

Signed...a former smoker

Lady's Human
12-24-2008, 11:02 AM
As usual, ES, we disagree. You call it what you want to, I'll call it what I want to. The Federal Government and State Governments are taking far too much control over people's day to day lives, and all in under the auspices of taking care of people. In NYS we have a proposed set of obesity taxes. The real purpose is to raise revenue for the state, but the taxes were first floated as a way to reduce consumption of certain items like soft drinks, fast food, or added-sugar juice products. I doubt similar measures from the federal level are far behind.

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2008, 11:42 AM
But we agree far more than you acknowledge. I disagree with the state requiring restaurants to post fat grams on menus and the like. I also disagree with the many warnings that must by law be posted..."The State of California has determined this building contains hot air" for example.

Where we disagree is your definition of the government meddling in personal behavior.

I am legally allowed to smoke. Goodness only knows how much money the government gives to the tobacco industry that is then used to encourage me to do so. The government is not restricting my freedom to smoke.

It is balancing the needs of others to be free from secondhand smoke. A legitimate health concern.

I can restrict people from smoking in my home -- and I do although I provide smoking accomodations outside for parties and the like. Why shouldn't the government be allowed to restrict smoking in it "houses?"

Furthermore, the White House is also a museum. Secondhand smoke is very damaging to artwork and antiques. So there are further legimimate reasons for prohibiting smoking there.

To call EVERY restriction the government makes a nanny rule is nonsensical. It is a nanny state if I am restricted from driving at 100 mph through a neighborhood?

I didn't know Andy Rooney had announced his retirement yet.

Twisterdog
12-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm a smoker ... soon to be an ex-smoker, God willing, as I am going to quit on January 1st. Got my Chantix prescription ready and waiting ...

Smoking is an expensive, dirty, harmful, nasty habit ... there is no way to argue with that, smoker or non-smoker. However, if that is all it was, a habit ... then we could all easily quit. It is not just a habit, it is an addiction, and nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man, worse the heroin or cocaine.

And, as a smoker, I have never once complained about laws that prohibit smoking in public places. I agree with them ... I should not subject anyone else to my secondhand smoke. It's selfish.

But, whether Obama smokes or not is HIS business and no one else's, if he does it in his own space.