PDA

View Full Version : Marley & Me

lute
12-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Has anyone read this book? I am just about through reading it and I can't wait to see the movie! I read in the book that the REAL Marley was in a movie. I looked it up and found a link to all the clips that Marley was in. It's kind of neat to actually see the real Marley. He was such a big Lab!
http://blogs.trb.com/entertainment/technology/watchthis/2008/03/marley_the_dog_on_youtube.html

Karen
12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
I read and loved the book! I am a bit worried that they'll take a lot of the heart of the book out to make the movie ...

Riptide
12-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I havn't read the book, but can't wait to see the movie! Maybe if I become un-lazy, I'll motivate myself to read it...we'll see lol.

CountryWolf07
12-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I haven't read the book yet but, I plan on seeing the movie... :)

Grace
12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I loved the book. Will probably see the movie. I'm not so keen on Jennifer Anniston - don't know what all the fuss is about her?

K9karen
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Yep, read the book. Laughed and Cried.
The author was a local columnist in our regional paper, so I had read about Marley before.

I don't care about Anniston or what's his name..I want to see the movie just to see the dog.

Pam
12-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Yes I read the book and loved every page! :love:

I haven't read the book yet but, I plan on seeing the movie... :)

Definitely read the book before you see the movie. Books are always better than the movies they are made into. I know that I will enjoy the movie, but am expecting that it will be nowhere as good as the book.

finn's mom
12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I think reading the book after the movie is a good idea, just for the simple fact that books are usually better. You'll love the movie, and then LOVE the book even more. ;) As opposed to reading the book first and being slightly disappointed in the movie. I read the book a couple times. I think the movie will be fun. I'm not a huge Jennifer Aniston fan, but I really like Owen Wilson. :love:

dreamparkingspace
12-23-2008, 08:56 AM
The only movies I watch are dog movies other than school of rock, along came polly, and christopher guest flicks, therefore, Marley and Me will most definitely be seen, possibly on Christmas day :)

AdoreMyDogs
12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I read and loved the book. Anna (Cookiebaker) was nice enough to loan me the book and I laughed lots and cried lots. It's a wonderful book.

I think the movie looks terrible and I have no desire to see it. I guess I might see it when it's out on TV, but I won't be seeing it in the theatre.

pomtzu
12-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I read the book and I thought it was great.
I've seen some clips from the movie on t.v. and it looks like it will be pretty good. However - I never go to the theaters anymore, so I'll just wait till it's released on DVD.

3Catcondo
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I have not read the book yet, but I am going to see the movie on Christmas day. My mom, sister, bro in law, 2 neices and I are going to see it. Making it a family outing. I cannot wait to see the movie.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
I read the book, and I absolutly LOVED it!!!! I can't wait to see the movie, I just hope it's as good as the book. :)

lute
12-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I read and loved the book! I am a bit worried that they'll take a lot of the heart of the book out to make the movie ...

I agree. I really hope they keep a lot of the book in the movie. I finished the book this morning and balled my eyes out when Marley died.

MoonandBean
12-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Marley dies? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Karen
12-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Marley dies? :eek: :eek: :eek:

No dog lives forever, sweetie. The book was written after his death.

lute
12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
No dog lives forever, sweetie. The book was written after his death.

The worst thing about dog ownership is their life span.:(

animal_rescue
12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
The movie was pretty good, it could have been better but the dog that played Marley was ABSOLUTELY fantastic and definitely did him some justice. The ending had my bawling my eyes out and also it was like 5am and I had been at the theatre since about 9 pm last night, so I wasn't all there. But overall I liked it.

k9krazee
12-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Family and I went and watched it today. Cute movie, I liked it more than I usually do movies after reading the book. Absolutely LOVED the dog playing Marley! Of course, we were all crying at the end, some of us worse than others, Mom was bawling, lol. Definitely made me come home and give my "bad" dog a big hug!

Daisy and Delilah
12-25-2008, 10:26 PM
My daughter saw it today. She was sobbing at the end.

Before the movie, she was in the restroom. All the women were wiping their eyes and sniffing. She finally asked, "Are all of you just leaving the showing of Marley and Me?" When they all answered "yes", she almost didn't go in because she knew what a wreck she would be. She had just read the book and had heard the movie wasn't as sad as the book. She was glad she saw it but she didn't know if she would recover anytime soon.:(

lute
12-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I saw the movie last night. It was so great! There wasn't a dry eye in the theater! They didn't get too far off of the book. It was a little different, but not in a bad way.

finn's mom
12-26-2008, 06:33 PM
I keep hearing that the ending is too drawn out. I remember the final chapters in the book, but I don't remember closing the book and being sad. I know I was sad when Marley died, but it seemed like there was at least a little more to the book after his death. It wasn't just "Marley died. The End.", is the movie like that? Where he just dies and that's that? I don't know, I can't remember the very end of the book, now. :/

boomersooner
12-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I haven't read the book, but, being an elementary school librarian, I read the version for upper elementary/middle school age....I kept substituting "Boomer" for "Marley" and it worked just fine! HA....I want to see the movie, but I don't know if I can or not.....It's like I live with the puppy version of Marley (Boomer) but I also live with the elderly Marley (Cassie).....I'm afraid we will be facing the same thing that Marley's owners had to face when he got older very soon with Cass dog....so I haven't decided if I'm going to see it or not right now......

*LabLoverKEB*
12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Just saw the movie today.... I loved it!:)
I was crying like a baby during the end.... made me think of my Sadie girl.:(

Alysser
12-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm going to cry, I cry every movie that involves a dog dying. When I saw "I am Legend", I think I was the only person in the theater crying over the dog, I think I made myself out to be a moron lol. Me and I_luv_rusty are seeing it today. :D I can't wait!

and you know, if Owen Wilson didn't have such a weird looking nose he'd be alot cuter then he is. I love Jennifer Aniston and always have, she's an awesome actress! I think it will be a pretty decent movie.

lute
12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
and you know, if Owen Wilson didn't have such a weird looking nose he'd be alot cuter then he is.

LOL!!! I couldn't agree more! I thought I was the only person who saw his nose!:o

Yorkie Lover
12-31-2008, 05:25 PM
My Mom says that she's heard it's wonderful. I wast to read it so bad, I am hoping for that book for my birthday. Too bad Netflix does not do books! Who agrees with me?

dreamparkingspace
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Very good movie. Will add it to the dog-movie rotation when it comes out on video.

Alysser
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
This might be pretty long...lol. Lute, LOL, thank you! I think he's very cute but his nose throws me off a bit. He got punched in high school or something but still it's...odd.

I will say I found the book much more fulfilling and complete. All in all, it was a good movie, very good. But it did have it's flaws. Am I the only one who doesn't remember this guy friend of John's? I don't remember him at all. They skipped the part about Shawn his first dog too, and they skipped some other parts. I know it's a movie, and it can't be the same as the book because it's more money for them and all but it just fills the movie more and makes it better for me.

The ending was sad, needless to say. I heard everyone around me sniffeling, I was sobbing. I think I was the only one actually crying really hard. Jenna cried to, though. I feel weird about that part, I have mixed feelings. I think it was harder for me because I went through it before. Seeing another family go through pain and suffering like that hurts, and it happened to me, so to me it had a deeper meaning. I didn't feel like it had a long drawn out ending in all honestly. I think the main point of the movie was that till the VERY end that dog was loving and loyal no matter how bad and stupid he seemed. I think it shows that many people take that loyalty and love forgranted. I also felt there was some symbolism. I could be wrong or whatever but this is how it appeared to me. The girl got stabbed on the driveway. Okay? It has occured to me alot of times why he included the crime and stuff in this book about his dog. I know it's about his whole life more or less but it got me thinking. Maybe it shows the difference between the human race and the dog. The pureness and innocence of the dog race, an the evilness of the human race. I don't know, it occured to me that way.

So-Crafty
01-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I saw this movie this afternoon with my sister and brother-in-law. I, too, do not recall the friend of John. The movie was sort of fast paced, in my opinion. It idled on the less important things and not enough on the more important things, however, this seemed to work for this movie.

The end of the movie had me in tears.

Does anyone else think that there will suddenly be a surge in Labradors in the near future?

dreamparkingspace
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't doubt a surge of Labradors in the near future, particularly Labradors named "Marley."

...as well as pitbulls named "Daddy" :)

lute
01-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Does anyone else think that there will suddenly be a surge in Labradors in the near future?

Probably so. At first I didn't think so because of how "bad" Marley was, but they may latch on to the loyalty part of him. If there is a surge of new Lab owners I sure hope they adopt from shelters. There are more than enough labs looking for homes.

Karen
01-01-2009, 08:05 PM
My Mom says that she's heard it's wonderful. I wast to read it so bad, I am hoping for that book for my birthday. Too bad Netflix does not do books! Who agrees with me?

I bet your local library has it - and better than Netflix - it's free!

RipplingWaves55
01-02-2009, 12:14 AM
I loved the book. Will probably see the movie. I'm not so keen on Jennifer Anniston - don't know what all the fuss is about her?

Haven't read the book but hoping to see the movie. Who is Jennifer Anniston.. is that the girl who looks (or who is) in Friends? The movie looks so wonderful!

*LabLoverKEB*
01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Haven't read the book but hoping to see the movie. Who is Jennifer Anniston.. is that the girl who looks (or who is) in Friends? The movie looks so wonderful!

Yes- Jennifer Aniston is the girl in 'Friends'.;)

Alysser
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
About the Surge of labs, I really don't think so. Although it shows loyalty, maybe it will convince people that Labs are big dogs who need a pretty strong hand to take care of them. It may show they need cosistent training. Marley does honestly seem like the world's worst dog though. :D I have the possibilty of getting a new dog this summer, and to tell you the truth I think it *may* be a lab, but for the record this movie wasn't the icing on the cake for that idea. My parents like the breed, ALOT. I said I wanted an ACTIVE dog, and they said maybe a lab.

stace1319
01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I havn't read the book, although I really want to. I went to see the movie last week. It is great. I loved it! I can't wait to read the book. I'm sure it's even better.

iluvjack813
01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't read the book but you can watch it free online with good picture too!

http://www.watch-movies.net