PDA

View Full Version : One unhappy, but warm kitty!

Purr-tender
12-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Wilson, my outside kitty, is inside tonight where it is nice and warm. Right now with the wind chill it is 4 below and suppose to drop to 15 below! He doesn't understand why he can't be outside. I really feel bad for him but it is way too cold out there. He is going from front door to back door, jumping up at the windows trying to find a way back out. I wish there was a way to calm him. The house kitties aren't paying any attention to him, which is good. He's in the kitchen right now, crying at the back door. Wilson has come a long way from when he showed up here about a year ago. He lives in the field behind our house. It took a long time to get him to let me pick him up and pet him. Any suggestions on calming him till the weather breaks?

Mary

cassiesmom
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Sweet Wilson, it's too cold outside for you to go out tonight, kitty guy. I know you want to go check on your territory, but it's just too cold. My nephew's RB kitty Churchill was the same way. This sounds mean but -- when Churchie used to get super-demanding, standing by the door doing his let-me-out-now meowing ... my nephew would give him a squirt with a spray water bottle to distract him. Does Wilson play with toys? Would he be amenable to some play time? It took Church a long time to not be an indoor outdoor kitty.

Purr-tender
12-21-2008, 09:14 PM
He's not interested in anything right now but getting out! He is such a sweet, handsome boy. I knew when winter came that I would have to figure something out for him. I'd love to make him an inside kitty so I won't have to worry about him anymore.

blue
12-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Erp has escaped outside many time in sub zero temps and has allways been fine overnight or for a few days. Animals allways seem to find someplace warm, with Erp its likely under the house, with my parents cats its likely under the shed or the basement window wells.

Purr-tender
12-21-2008, 09:47 PM
You know, I know that's true. But, I am such a mother hen. I need to know where my babies are and that they are safe.

blue
12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Erp hasnt spent much time outside this winter so less worrying for me. Erp was born and found outside and has become a decent indoor winter kitty, she dives out the window in the summer. Maybe with time Wilson will too.

Laura's Babies
12-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Poor kitty. Sounds like you are in for a l-o-n-g night..

I can't believe how cold it is going to be in Ohio tonight! Now THAT'S COLD!!!!!! :eek:

Purr-tender
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I just checked my WeatherBug and the wind chill is -15. Brrrrr!! I'll probably let Wilson out tomorrow afternoon. The only problem is I'm afraid he'll be leery of me since I've held him captive:rolleyes:.

Emeraldgreen
12-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm so glad you've got Wilson inside tonight. I'm sure being warm feels good but maybe he's just so scared of the newness of being indoors that he must be overwhelmed. I bet if he had a place inside to 'hide' he would feel less exposed. Do you have a box that you could put on it's side and maybe throw a towel over it? He might find it safe in there.
And he may have never heard music before but maybe some soft gentle music might calm him a bit.
And then of course, food, food, food. LOL
Maybe special treats like tuna juice or deli meat to distract him.
Hopefully he'll settle in within a few hours and then he might not want to ever leave. :)

Purr-tender
12-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Lara, I've had him inside since around 3 this afternoon. I've tried everything you suggested except the music. Usually, he is such a grub. If I don't put his food out in the morning when he thinks I should he's pawing at the door reminding me! This evening he ignored his plate. He did finally eat after the rest of my crew were done. He'll settle down for a little while, then I hear him crying again. He's used to some of my "kids" since I have 4 that go in and out during the day. So, I think his main problem is just being in a foreign environment. Like you said he's probably overwhelmed by it. I tried isolating him in the bathroom but that made him worse.

Gentle hugs to my boy!
Mary

Pinot's Mom
12-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Ah, I know it's tough, but the crying will subside - go to sleep!

As the Mommie of more than one (over the years) outdoor (and mixed indoor, as well as totally indoor) kitty - they will adapt! Remember, they are safe, fed, watered, and healthy. RELAX!

Emeraldgreen
12-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I hope that he settles in soon. Maybe if you can manage to keep him in for 2 days, he'll see that nothing bad happens to him and all he gets is warmth and food. I'm wondering if he gets out tomorrow, he might think he just got out in time before something bad happened but a couple of days would show him that it really isn't bad after all. I'm not sure if you can stand it without earplugs though! LOL :D

Purr-tender
12-21-2008, 11:05 PM
You're probably right. I know that I will feel so sorry for him if he's still wanting out, and just let him go. We'll see how I feel in the morning. I just went in and secretly gave him a pouch of Whiskas and he chowed down. That's a good thing.

Night All!
Mary

Catty1
12-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Check this out - would be a great compromise! An outdoor kitty shelter - VERY affordable.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=148901

Purr-tender
12-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I've read that. She did a great job. Wilson is such a weird little guy. I was telling Ellie about Wilson. He was MIA when she was fixing up Sherbie's new house. Anyway, I had tweaked Wilson's blanket shelter on the back porch that he had been sleeping in every night, to make it more water-proof and a little warmer. He left for over a week! He's just been back a couple of days. He did sleep out there last night but as bitterly cold as it is tonight it would not have kept him warm. It was funny when I checked on him before I went to bed last night, there was a possum all curled up in an old kitty condo that I have sitting next to his bed. I tucked the possum in, too:).

Medusa
12-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Wow, this reminds me of my rescue days. I had shelters w/heating pads under blankets for the kitties but sometimes Old Tom would be stubborn and sleep under the pine tree anyhow. Either that or the possums took over. I figure if they get cold enough, they'll use the shelter. I never brought any indoors, though, except for Coco Puff, whom I ended up keeping. So how was your night?

Anikaca77
12-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Awwww I'm so glad you were able to bring him and keep him warm.

moosmom
12-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Did you try catnip? I find that usually calms them down. Poor Wilson. I hope after another day or so he'll get used to the snuggly warmth. You can also get some "Anxiety" at the GNC stores. I've used that for my cats when I traveled from MI to CT. Glad I don't have to drive THAT long haul anymore.

Purr-tender
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, it was a quiet night. When I got up this morning he came out from under the loveseat in the living room. So he found his safe spot. He's doing really well this morning. He ate his breakfast and then worked on Big Mo's, too:rolleyes:. He's not crying today. What a relief! Mary, when you said that Big Tom would sleep under the pine tree, that is exactly what I was afraid that Wilson would do. This summer when it stormed he'd run back into the field instead of staying high and dry on the porch. He's come back for supper soaking wet! Like I said earlier, he's a weird little boy. Since he's doing so well, and even using the litter box like a good boy, I am going to keep him in today. Donna, I did try catnip and also that Feliway spray on the snuggle sack that I put in his bed out side. He wouldn't go in it. Thanks everyone for your advice. I just love PTers!

Mary

Medusa
12-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I think it's a matter of security for them. Old Tom slept under the pine tree because that's where he felt sheltered and safe. No one could see him either but I knew where he would hide so I'd go looking for him. If he got cold enough, though, he'd go into one of the shelters but he'd hiss at me on his way out, the little bugger.

catmandu
12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH AS TUBSTER PANTHER MY BLACK CAT GETS CABIN FEVER, AND WANTS OUT NOOW!!!
I HAVE A FEELING THAT THERES ANOTHER HOUSE WHERE HES BEING FED, AND HE MISSES THEM.
HE ALWAYS HEADS THE SAME WAY WHEN HE LEAVES , AND KNOWS JUST WHERE HE IS GOING:love::love::love:
HEY WILSON , THIS OUTDOOR STUFFS OVER RATED.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1700.jpg
SUNNY SCRAPPITO THE PORCH CAT:(:(

Purr-tender
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Gary, I think Wilson realizes now that it is much better in here where it's warm! He's been such a good boy today.

Poor Sunny Scrappito!:( Brrrr it's cold out there. That's a really good photo, though. I love that you can see the paw prints in the snow.

Emeraldgreen
12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
YAY!!! http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/smileyguyblue.gif

I'm so glad to hear that he is being calm and so good too! Sounds like he must have been someone's cat at some point with his litter box knowledge and that he lets you pet him and stuff.

Thank you so much for keeping him warm and safe. He's a lucky guy! Looks like he finally figured that out. LOL :)