PDA

View Full Version : bitterly COLD in Pittsburgh!

davidpizzica
12-21-2008, 08:36 PM
The temperature right now is 12 degrees here in Pittsburgh with a westerly wind blowing in at 22 mph with gusts up to 40 mph! This makes the wind chill -8 degrees. No snow yet, but it's dangerously cold to be out in it. This is from the "You got to be kidding" department: I stopped at a gas station tonight to get somethin to eat when in walks a guy wearing SHORTS!! I looked at him and thought "Man, you got to be freezing!" Tomorrow the COLD continues.

blue
12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
It was -9 earlier today, no idea if there was a windchill. I typicaly wear shorts under my insulated carharts in the winter.

Marigold2
12-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Same here in Ohio. The wind is wicked and my heart goes out to all the homeless animals. My one son works for a nursery and people came to purchase their Christmas trees. The poor kid was so tired and cold. I made him some homemade lasagna that his girlfriend picked up.

chocolatepuppy
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Same here David. 1*, wind chill -23* and going to get worse tonight!:eek:

Catlady711
12-21-2008, 10:32 PM
-3 here and I think the wind chill is -22 or so. And to boot I went out Christmas shopping and grocery shopping in that!!:eek:

Karen
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
We are supposed to get the wind and bitter windchills tonight, but I'm not gonna go out and check! We have had three days of snow, like one of my favorite old Christmas carols:

Snow has fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow
In the bleak midwinter, long long ago.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, to cold for my old bones.....:D

davidpizzica
12-22-2008, 04:25 AM
At 5:00 this morning the temperature in the Pittsburgh icebox is three degrees! The winds are blowing at a 22 mph pace with gusts clocked at 28 mph!, making the wind chill -18 degrees! It's supposed to "warm up" to a balmy 19 degrees today which is stil too cold for comfort! There are also tons of school delays and a few cancellations and an advisory for high profile vehicles in the wind suh as SUVs, delivey trucks, and any car that sits high.

chocolatepuppy
12-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Checking in at 6:00 am it's 3* and -17* windchill!:eek:

Medusa
12-22-2008, 06:34 AM
At 5:00 this morning the temperature in the Pittsburgh icebox is three degrees! The winds are blowing at a 22 mph pace with gusts clocked at 28 mph!, making the wind chill -18 degrees! It's supposed to "warm up" to a balmy 19 degrees today which is stil too cold for comfort! There are also tons of school delays and a few cancellations and an advisory for high profile vehicles in the wind suh as SUVs, delivey trucks, and any car that sits high.

That's exactly what it was here last night before I went to bed. I have artificially lighted tall Christmas candles on my porch and they got blown over so many times that I finally gave up. Besides, it was too cold and windy to keep going outside to stand them up again. My son doesn't like to pack his heavy winter coat to travel because it takes up so much room in his suitcase but I told him that he has no choice on this trip home. The winds howled all night long. Poor little critters and homeless animals. I'm so grateful to have a warm home and that all my Fur Posse are safe and warm.

Laura's Babies
12-22-2008, 06:44 AM
MY GOD! That is just TO cold!! I jsut could not handle that.. It is warm here...31* (compared to all of you)..

davidpizzica
12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Mary, Marigold won't have to worry, either. She's comfy and warm. My worry is for people that have animals outside, I pray that they are brought inside into a warm house and prayers to the ones that don't have a home in this weather that they find some kind of shelter.

Medusa
12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Mary, Marigold won't have to worry, either. She's comfy and warm. My worry is for people that have animals outside, I pray that they are brought inside into a warm house and prayers to the ones that don't have a home in this weather that they find some kind of shelter.

Exactly!