PDA

View Full Version : Having Technical Difficulties

Freedom
12-21-2008, 09:24 AM
and baning my head on the desk is not helping. :D

My computer Internet access was slower than slower, really unusual. Then, my wi fi laptop didn't connect at all. Tried the desktop, nada. After 45 minutes on line with my ISP, we disconnected the router, and went straight from cable to desktop. Yup that works, but slow. That was last Wednesday.

So I must need a new router. Needless to say, I use the laptop a LOT, as I can sit in the recliner in the Family Room with Dad. Now I have to go to the Home Office / spare bedroom, and Dad gets himself into all sorts of trouble. :rolleyes:

Now the mouse doesn't want to cooperate. It is a wireless one. Needs new batteries? Maybe, but I don't have any that size in the house to test!

The desktop is still slow, so I start moving all my photos onto a jump drive. Fill that up and still have 3 weeks worth of pics on the desktop. Do I need to empty my recycle bin? bBcause I am still not seeing any improvement in speed.

Meantime, the phones on Dad's line died, so I bought him new ones. Then the whole LINE went caploowie (can't figure out how to spell that and Spellcheck isn't helping!) So put in a call to the phone company. Two days later, guy arrives and line is fine, so he can't do anything. Two hours after he leaves, line is dead again. :rolleyes:

The digital camera has decided it will take photos when it wants to, not when I press the button. I sure have a lot of lovely photos of the floor, ceiling and my chin, as I turn it to figure out what is wrong. Not the batteries, as I put new ones in it TWICE to try and solve this.

My answering machine won't accept my change of day, date and time, it is stuck on Sunday. :eek: Hey, it is correct one day per week! Too bad I don't miss calls on Sundays, I am usually home.

We got a foot of snow Saturday, so I start the snowblower and . . . it dies. Start it again and . . . it dies. Eventually a neighbor took pity on me out there with a shovel and let me borrow his. He looked at mine and after half an hour, diagnosed that "You need to buy a new one." Well, it is at least 20 years old, so I guess I got my moneys' worth, right? So I need to get to the library, check Consumer Reports, and get me a new one. Please pray we don't get any more snow until I do that!

I had a Family Get Together planned for today, with everyone meeting at a place close to all of them, and a 2 hour drive for me. Except the weather wasn't cooperating, so I postponed to next Sunday. No one can make it next Sunday. I have all the food, soda, gifts from Santa (yeah, I arranged for a Santa to come see us, and HE can make in next Sunday). We are already talking a date in FEBRUARY! (Alright so this one isn't a technical issue, but heck, I may as well throw it in there, right?) So I have all this stuff under foot, nice toys for the cats, where do I store it?

With Dad's continuing decline, I know I need to get a cell phone. And the new car is set up for a cell phone (I don't even know what that MEANS!) I can't find time to research and figure out what I need to get. I know it has to be Blue tooth for the car (again, whatever that is), but only certain models seem to work (according to the car forum I am on).

I want the Mamma Mia movie. Hi Def? Bluetooth? Heck, what happened to plain old dvds? WalMart has a special WalMart edition, Target has a special Target edition, I can see the packaging is different, but the rest of it?

If anyone wants to come spend a week, and solve most of the technical stuff, I have a spare bedroom. ;)

pomtzu
12-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Are you trying to tell us that you're not having fun yet??? Yikes!!! Way too much going on here Sandie.

Here's hoping that you get everything straightened out soon. And have a very Merry Christmas!!! Things WILL get better! :)

Freedom
12-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Ellie! Yup, it is all stuff I don't understand well, so trying to repair / fix it takes lots longer than other things would take.

shepgirl
12-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Are you trying to tell us that you're not having fun yet??? Yikes!!! Way too much going on here Sandie.

Here's hoping that you get everything straightened out soon. And have a very Merry Christmas!!! Things WILL get better! :)

:D :D :D you said it before I could...I was laughing throughout the whole story. Sorry, I know it isn't funny, but it does make me laugh. Been there, done that...what else can go wrong now...he he.

chocolatepuppy
12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry you're having so many problems Sandie. When it rains, er uh snows, it pours. Maybe things will be better in the new year.:) As for technical stuff, if I didn't have hubby, well, you probably wouldn't know me cause I probably wouldn't have a pc.;)

Hellow
12-21-2008, 12:56 PM
That sucks that you are having that many problems. If you want, you can join me on the IRC chat and we can work on fixing your technical problems. :)

Catty1
12-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Sandie, I can also remote into your computer. Christmas prezzie! :D

PM me your email (if I don't have it already) and we'll set up a time, ok?

Catlady711
12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh gosh, I can so sympathize with you. I too have had those "everything that's tech oriented goes to heck" kinda days! My hubby claims it's got to be sun spots that causes that. lol

Hope your 'tech' difficulties resolve quickly!