PDA

View Full Version : I can't take it, please give me strength

jazzcat
12-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I know there are a lot worse things that could happen but I can't take the cat problems at my house anymore. This morning I got up to a poop in the floor and a pee on the carpet runner. I checked the pee cams and both times it was Scout. Since her last round of antibiotics to treat the infection from the kidney and bladder stones plus the new diet for the crystals she had been doing great and stopped peeing. After cleaning it all up I went into the guest bath and saw Decker sniffing around the tub funny. I checked and someone has peed in the tub. That had stopped ever since we put Rocky on Prozac. I don't know who did this one. Yesterday I found pee on a pet bed, it was very weak smelling so I don't know who it was.

The health problems are never ending here. The vet called to tell me there was no sign of infection in Decker's urine and all signs point to FLUTD so she started him on Cosequin to try to treat the inflammation. Rumor still hisses at him and treats him like an outcast and the poor little guy runs to the litterbox every 15 minutes. The vet said that was expected and should get better with the meds.

Rumor is still peeing and the vet and I are sure it's behavioral. I can't figure out how to stop it. I can't use Feliway because of her and I think that may have been helping Scout and the others to stay calm and not pee.

Ripley has turned into a grumpy old man. I try to cut him slack since he's old and has kidney failure but he just grunts at us all the time for fresh water. He basically wants you to pour it out and refill the bowl with every lick.

To top it all off Richard got sick with a horrible flu like virus Sunday night and has been sick with it all week and now I came down with it. I've been running a fever of 100+ since yesterday morning.

I'm suppose to go to my Dad's today to clean his house, put up his Christmas tree and decorate, take him to the nursing home to give his sister a gift and bake goodies because my oldest brother and his family arrive Monday. I can't do that because I'm contagious so I'm praying I'm healthy tomorrow so I can get it done. I also have clean my house because my other brother and his wife will be arriving here Monday. Now I found out my brother has been taking a treatment for his MS and is very susceptible to catching things so he may have to stay in a hotel so not to risk his health. I feel horrible!!!

I just want to cry. This stinks!

Thanks for listening to me and letting me complain.

catmandu
12-20-2008, 09:41 AM
WE ARE SORRY THAT THESE THINGS ARE HAPPENING ALL AT ONCE, AND AT A TIME OF YERA THATS ALREADY SO STRESSFUL AT THE BEST OF TIMES.:eek::eek:
WE ARE SENDING PRAYERS TO YOU THAT THINGS WILL TURN AROUND IN THE NEW YEAR :love::love: AND THAT YOUR VET CAN GET THIER INFECTIONS UNDER CONTROL, AND THAT THEY ARE CLEANER CATS.:love::love:
THATS FRUSTRATING WHEN YOUR CATS MISS THE BOXES, SOMEONES POOING OUTSIDE THE BOX, AND THE OTHER CATS ADD TOTHE PROBLEM.
I HAVE A FEELING THAT ITS A CERTAIN EBONY CAT, AND I AM GOING TO HAVE A LITTLE LITTER BOX LESSON.:love::love:

jazzcat
12-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Thank you Gary. It's just nice to have a shoulder to cry on.

I just called to check on my Dad and he's stressing out because I'm sick. It's not good for him to stress like that. He told me he couldn't sleep last night worrying about who was going to put up his tree, get the house ready for company and cook Christmas dinner. :( I told him I would work it out and that I should be healthy enough to cook by Wed. and Thursday.

Catty1
12-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh my goodness - isn't there a neighbour or someone who could put up your dad's tree for him?

I mean - it sounds like he's not worried about you feeling unwell and getting better, but that you won't be able to do stuff for him (and everyone else!!!). :(

Can YOU enlist anyone to help out? Could you even afford a housecleaning person for 2 - 3 hours to give your house a going-over?

HUGS and I hope this all works out soon! I hope you don't have to rehome a kitty!

:love::love::love::love:

moosmom
12-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Jazzcat,

I'm sorry you're having such behavioral issues. I always worry when I bring in another cat or foster that my cats attitude will change. Fortunately, I've been lucky.

You and your crew will be in my thoughts and prayers.

HUGS and Happy Holidays,

Donna

jazzcat
12-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Oh my goodness - isn't there a neighbour or someone who could put up your dad's tree for him?

I mean - it sounds like he's not worried about you feeling unwell and getting better, but that you won't be able to do stuff for him (and everyone else!!!). :(

Can YOU enlist anyone to help out? Could you even afford a housecleaning person for 2 - 3 hours to give your house a going-over?

HUGS and I hope this all works out soon! I hope you don't have to rehome a kitty!

:love::love::love::love:
My father is 86 and has Dementia so this is a typical reaction. It doesn't hurt my feelings, I'm used to it. As the child who is here and cares for him daily I tend to be the forgotten one. He has a caretaker but she took today off because I was suppose to be there and Sunday is her regular day off. She will help get the house clean Monday if I don't do it and will probably help him with the tree but I was thinking this is a good chance for my brother to help. He can put the tree up Monday night when he gets in.

I don't want my Dad worrying over this so I may have to go down with mask and gloves tomorrow to get it done. Today is definitely out because I just checked my temp. is still 100 degrees.

Taz_Zoee
12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow, I am so sorry about everything you are going through right now. :( I hope you feel better SOON and can take care of family things. And I hope your cats will calm down with their issues soon too.
I will keep you in my thoughts that you can get through this holiday season in one piece. You can do it!!!

Catty1
12-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I think your brother and his wife can go help Dad out. If you talk to them again, mention your fever (which is why they might stay in a hotel) and that you don't want Dad to catch anything.

Since they maybe didn't put up their own tree this year, they might enjoy helping Dad.

Be direct: "Would you PLEASE do me a favour and help Dad with his tree???"

HUGS

Laura's Babies
12-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Gee whiz, you got it don't you? Take care of yourself FIRST!

Purr-tender
12-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm sure you are ready to pull your hair out! There isn't anything much more frustrating than the kitty problems that you are having. Been there!! Then to add the stress of the holidays on top of being sick, that's too much! I am so sorry that you are going through this but know that you always have a sounding board to vent. It'll all work out.

Big old ((HUG)),
Mary

jazzcat
12-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Thank you all so much. I just need a little sympathy and don't have a lot of people to turn for it. I called my brother who will be staying with Dad, he's great (actually both my brothers are great they just live far away). He's going to call Dad and help calm him down and he told me not to worry, they would take care of the tree and decorations if needed.

Now if someone could just take care of the cat problems and this nasty sick crud. :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Gosh, so much going on! I wish I lived closer, I'd come over to help you out. I hate cleaning my place, but like cleaning other people's places, lol... go figure!

I hope that things will calm down and the kitties and your health will ease up and give you a break. It will be hard for you to get better when you're stressed, so I hope something works in your favor quickly for that.

Big hugs to you, and get some rest, and just forget what is going on for a few hours so you CAN rest.

Randi
12-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this! :( You should stay in bed and get a good long sleep. Glad your brother will attend to the Christmas tree and help your dad calm down.

I remember how it was with my mom, she lived on the 5th floor and sometimes she would decide that the windows should be cleaned - NOW! She was in her 70ties, so I was worried what could happen and rushed out there to do it for her.

Also sorry about the kitty situation, I can imagine how difficult it is.. :(

Hope everything works out and you get better soon.

(((hugs)))

kb2yjx
12-20-2008, 01:57 PM
When it rains, it POURS!!! And this is the busiest time of the year to have EVERYTHING happen at once!!! It is good that your brother is willing to help out. Take care of yourself. Just remember, we are here as an ear to listen, and a shoulder to cry on!!! Prayers that everything works out!!!!!

Medusa
12-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, you're definitely in the muck right now. Too much going on at one time and, cats being cats, they tend to make matters worse w/their behavior problems. You've gotten a few suggestions so I won't add any, just encouragement to hang in there, as lame as that sounds. :love:

jenluckenbach
12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Breathe deep............

OK, you are getting a break. Your brother's broblem (where to stay) and your dad's problem (who to help) are taken care of with one solution.

So relax!! You do NOT need to bake. People will live without the goodies.

You can clean without making everything immaculate (I do it all the time :o )

And (as hard as it sounds) don't let the cats get to you. They are only being human :rolleyes: OK, you know what I mean. :p

Things always hit all at the same time, that is life, but then....when it;s over, it feels SOOOOOO good.

cassiesmom
12-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Jazzcat,

You and your crew will be in my thoughts and prayers.

HUGS and Happy Holidays,

Donna

Same here! More HUGS and Happy Holidays --- Elyse

Freedom
12-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Take care of the Caregiver first. And as Jen says, most of the critical stuff is already resolved.

Hugs and prayers from RI!

carole
12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
oh Lori my heart truly goes out to you, if only there was a simple solution, talk about a stressful situation, I have no answers my friend, but just want you to know we understand how rough it must be, I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel and soon for you.

And i understand how worried you are about your Dad, so much going on in your home right now, and no where to turn, i only hope something improves soon, I also understand about your kitty with CRF and being grumpy, My Ash is like that too,mind you he has never been a lovely natured kitty really to be perfectly honest, but it gets you down after a while.

Lots of Hugs from here to you, and fingers and all paws crossed there is some way you can solve your very difficult problems.:love::love:

Vermontcat
12-20-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that things are so stressful for you right now.
I hope things get better for you soon.
It could be worse, you could have snowstorm after snowstorm on top of everything else going on.
Would you like me to send some Vermont snow your way?;)

Moesha
12-20-2008, 07:37 PM
If I hadn't had plans for this afternoon, I would have offered to help with cleaning. I'm not very good at the baking stuff, but I would have been happy to help in whatever other way would help you out.

krazyaboutkatz
12-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Lori, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through so much stress and that you're now sick too.:( I'm glad that your brothers will be in town so that they can help your father. Please take care of yourself and try not to push yourself or you'll just continue to feel worse.

If your house isn't immaculate then your family should understand because you're sick and if they don't then they can start cleaning it themselves. I hope that your cats will begin to calm down soon and learn to get along with each other. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

shais_mom
12-21-2008, 12:27 AM
I just wanted to send my support and love and hope you feel better asap and that the cat situation resolves quickly.
((hugs))

Medusa
12-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Checking in this morning and hoping that things have calmed down considerably and that your fur clan is more cooperative. We put such pressure on ourselves during the holidays; we sure don't need our furkids adding to the problem. Wishing you peace.....:love:

Barbara
12-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Sending hugs to you. I know that having a parent in that state of dementia is always lots and lots of stress- because whatever you do it will not bring him back :(
You are a very strong person and once in a while there is just a day that sucks.

Pam
12-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Sending hugs to you. I know that having a parent in that state of dementia is always lots and lots of stress- because whatever you do it will not bring him back :(
You are a very strong person and once in a while there is just a day that sucks.

Barbara is exactly right. This too shall pass but it is so hard when you are in the midst of several things like this all happening at once. (((hugs))) to you. Sandie is also right because as 'caretaker' you are no good to anyone (dad or kitties) if you are not well yourself.

jazzcat
12-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you everyone (and Vermontcat I would LOVE a little snow :D).

My fever is down a little and I feel a bit better today but this stuff has now turned into the worst sore throat I have had in my life. Worse than any bout of strep throat I've ever had. I couldn't sleep last night because every time I would swallow I would wake up in pain and crying. I believe whatever I have has taken a different path than what Richard had. I may be calling the dr. tomorrow.

My other brother who will be staying with me called last night to basically forbid me from going to Dad's because he said they can take care of everything there when he arrives including getting the caretaker's Christmas gift to her, Dad's gift to his sister at the nursing home, putting up the tree and my part of Christmas dinner if I'm still sick. Richard is going to cook and bake what I was going to take to his family dinner on Christmas Eve so it looks like I'm covered. Now I just need to feel good enough to give my house the once over tomorrow and I'm golden.

Also, the cats must have read my stress because there was NO pee or poop this morning and everyone is behaving better. I think that is due to the fact that sun is out for the first time in about 10 days.

Thank you all for the shoulders, support and offers to help.

carole
12-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh Lori you poor girl, you sound miserable, i remember having a throat like you described, mine was a strep though, and it was terrible, never again, please no thank you, i sure hope the doctor can give you something to help ease the pain, lots of jelly and ice cream for you my dear.

Glad to hear there is an improvement all round in the situation you were dealing with, and those kitties, yep they know it is time to behave, mama has had enough, take care sweetie.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/jewellnz/blinky_ani_icare.gif

jazzcat
12-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Well my brother who was going to stay with me just called to tell me they booked two nights at a hotel nearby. I hate that they have to do that but I understand and I don't want him to get what I have. He has to be so careful since he has MS. Something like this could be so harmful to him. We all hope I'm well enough for them to stay here Christmas Eve. I'll be wiping down the whole house with Clorox wipes.

I know my Dad will be upset. He wants them to stay with him but he already has a houseful and giving up his bed (which he wants to do) is not an option. He needs to sleep in his own bed and stay on his routine.

Emeraldgreen
12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Sounds like things are slowly working out, even with the cats (if only for a few days but it's a start). If it's possible, try and get as much rest as possible, it will speed up your healing for sure. Prayers that your throat will be on the mend asap!
Don't forget to steal a few minutes for yourself! A hot tea and a bath might be in order. :)

catnapper
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Lori, believe me, I completely understand what you're saying and I live it every day. Pouncer is still sick and pees due to health. I pill him and still his belly is bloated like he's blocked. Allen pees and poops outside the box for the fun of it (or so we can tell, thats his reason) Flutter's been missing hte box for poop. We have to rip up the carpet in the spare room because of someone peeing and pooping so much on it. Then we have Callie who thinks litterboxes are big snack boxes.

krazyaboutkatz
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Lori, I'm glad that your fever is down and hopefully your sore throat will go away soon. You might want to try gargling with some warm salt water several times a day and try to avoid drinking anything that would irritate your throat like orange juice, grapefruit juice,or even tomato juice.

I'm glad that your cats are acting better and hopefully each day will get better. It's great that your family is able to help out too so that you can hopefully recover quickly. I hope that you have a peaceful and healthy Christmas and a wonderful New Year too.:)

kimlovescats
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Lori, I am just now seeing this thread for the first time. Bless your heart!!!! It does at least sound like your brothers have stepped up and are helping you sort some things out. I'm glad Richard is feeling better again and can help with the cooking too! YOU need to get to the doctor ... you probably needs some antibiotics and maybe a shot to help get you over this nasty bug!

*HOLDS BREATH AND GIVES LORI A BIG HUG*;):love:

slick
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except some {{{hugs}}} and good thoughts to come your way. I'm glad that your are feeling better I hope things improve soon.

Why are the holidays so stressful for everyone?????:confused::(

catfamily
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
i too just read this and feel so bad for you lori:(
i myself am on antibiotics because of a nasal infection that went to my throat and chest because i waited so long to tell my doctor (3 months)the reason i didn't tell her was because i thought it was the heat (in the bedroom at night)until it got much worse and realised i needed the antibiotics.

once your on the antibiotics,things will feel more normal around the house.
i have pee'ers here also and for some reason mike doesn't mind...but it totally freaks 'me' out.
i really hate it like you.i don't mind an accidental poopy but pee never ever comes out of your funture no matter what product(even with enzymes)works.
they can always smell it underneath and use it again as a litterbox:rolleyes:

i'm soooo happy your family is helping you out now...that is really really nice.you need that break BIGtime!!

i hope you feel better soon lori...keep us updated and try to get rest.rest is important right now....even with the Holiday coming...you need it.

Vermontcat
12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm happy to hear that things are getting better for you.
I hope you feel better soon.
I have plenty of snow to share so I will be sure to send some your way.:)
Sending some hugs your way too.

Vio&Juni
12-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Lori, usually when it rains, it pours. In these cases, it's good to take a step back and see what can be done. Having family help is great, I could always rely on mine, and now that I am far away from them, I am glad I can rely on Greg.

It's good to hear that things are better and I hope you have a very nice holiday season with your family. They're there to see you, spend some time together, not just to eat cookies, so don't worry to much about what you bake or what your house looks like.

I hope the cats behave.

Medusa
12-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Just checking in to see how you're doing now. I'm glad that the family is stepping up to the plate and that you're feeling somewhat better. What a lousy time to get sick! I do hope that things have leveled out for you now and that you'll be able to enjoy your Christmas. :love:

Catty1
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Lori - HUGS. I hope you are able to have a way more relaxed schedule...and thank goodness your brother stepped into helping Dad!

My Christmas wish for you is that you feel the love of family, and that you and Richard feel better soon, and give yourself the time to heal. :love:

catfamily
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Lori - HUGS.

My Christmas wish for you is that you feel the love of family, and that you and Richard feel better soon, and give yourself the time to heal. :love:

Ditto from us!:D:love: