PDA

View Full Version : Brandon needs prayers again.. Coming HOME!

Laura's Babies
12-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Sis just called, he is coming HOME!

My sister, (post here as Carol Bulger) grandson Brandon is needing prayers again. I had asked for prayers in 2005(?) when he was in that horriable car wreck. He has recovered from the car wreck about as good as he ever will but now another problem has come back. As a small child, he had to have surgery for a brain tumor, then again when he was about Jr. High age. Well, the tumor has come back, only this time he has TWO of them. He is scheduled for surgery on the one near his ear that has made him deaf on January 21..

Today she sent me a email to tell me he was being taken to the emergency room because of a head ach that has him throwing up and unable to walk. They took him to a local ER and from there, they have sent him (by ambulance) to a bigger hospital in Seattle. They are not telling his mother anything yet. Sis is freaking out and wanting to get to Seattle (about 1 hour away) to be there for Brandon and his Mom as soon as she can find out where they sent him.

This is a recent picture of Brandon that was taken at his 22nd birthday (I think). This boy has been through SO much already and needless to say, I am worried! Keep him in your prayers!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/December%202008/Brandon.jpg

Catty1
12-19-2008, 07:57 PM
What a handsome young man!

Many PRAYERS going out that they can treat and remove these tumours.

Maybe the reason his mom doesn't know anything is that the docs haven't exactly figured it out yet. :(

Prayers to your sister and for a good and hopeful update.

Hang in there, Brandon!

Medusa
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Goodness, this calls for prayer right now. Many prayers going up for Brandon that all will go well w/his surgery and that his mom will learn what she needs to know. I wish peace and comfort to all. :love:

Laura's Babies
12-19-2008, 08:14 PM
They have discovered he has bleeding on his brain and he needs immediate surgery... However, they can not get him to the nero hospital (Sewdish) in Seattle to get it done because of the bad weather. The roads are to bad and the weather is to bad to medivac him... His Mom told me that keeping him there at the local hospital is not a option.. he HAS to get to Seattle to have that surgery!

Then she handed the phone back to Carol and Sis said they had come to get them and they had to go.... That is all I know for now... They are right in the middle of a winter storm with more on the way.

update in post #20

Catty1
12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh NO -

Please, God - please calm the weather so Brandon can be rushed for his surgery! PT Prayers - please!

Medusa
12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
God is aware of what's happening and a way can be cleared for Brandon to get to the hospital and get the help he needs. We pray w/out ceasing here. Holding your hand across the miles........:love:

gini
12-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Dear God, hear our prayers for Brandon! And could you please comfort the rest of the family at this critical time? Thank you.

DJFyrewolf36
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Prayers on the way! I can attest to the bad weather here, but at least it looks like its going to clear. Prayers that the weather gets better and that Brandon is ok.

Laura's Babies
12-20-2008, 08:22 AM
I didn't hear anything overnight and nothing this morning. Soon as it is a decent hour there, I will text Sis and ask what is happening.

Alysser
12-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Laura, I'm sorry to hear this. This is horrible for him. (((hugs))) and prayers going out to you.

AdoreMyDogs
12-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm so sorry :( What a handsome young man Brandon is. I have been praying for him and will continue to do so.

Laura's Babies
12-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Update.. They got him to Seattle, he is in ICU. The doctor wants a copy of ALL his records from day one and his Mom has her own copy and is taking them those. Sis said they have Brandon knocked out so he is not in any pain, they have him on morphine, steroids amd something for the nausea but they will need to wake him up at some point so the doctor can talk to him, since he is 22, he will have to give consent.

The doctor told them to go home last night and get some rest, that Brandon would be going through a MRI, CT scan and a battery of tests so they could get a better picture of exactly what was going on so they will know what he needs done. He told them they don't want to do ANY unnecessary surgery, but will do ANY that is necessary, the least being a shunt to relieve the pressure. That is all I know for now, except that there is another winter storm coming this evening.

DJFyrewolf36
12-20-2008, 10:49 AM
At least he is in ICU...hopefully they can figure out what is wrong. Continued prayers sent!

pomtzu
12-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Prayers going out to Brandon and all of the family. Gosh - he is just so young to have so much on his plate. I'm hoping for the best outcome for him!

Scooter's Mom
12-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Prayers are being said. Not only for Brandon but for the entire family.

Keep us updated as best you can.

((Hugs)) to you, Laura.

Crystal

Taz_Zoee
12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Laura, your family is in my thoughts. He is so young, and then to have to go through this during the holidays.....:(

gini
12-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Thinking of Brandon this morning.............and sending continued prayers.
How very worried you must be!!

Daisy and Delilah
12-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Brandon has been through so much for such a young man. My thoughts and prayers are going out to Brandon and all his family from me in Florida.:(
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Medusa
12-20-2008, 03:17 PM
At least they were able to get him to the hospital, so we're going to focus on that. It's something good to focus on until we get even better news. :)

Laura's Babies
12-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Just got this in a email from Sis

Cindy called and says Brandon still has the migrains and throwing up. They give him something for it but as soon as it wears off he starts right back up again. They are going to compare MRI"s from when they first found the tumor to the one they did last night and if it has grown any at all they they are talking about surgery on Mon. Will have to wait and see. Will let you know as soon as I Find out.

Karen
12-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Tell them I'll send a prayer for him - we brain surgery survivors have to look out for each other!

jenluckenbach
12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Sending many prayers. This is time for a Christmas miracle.

phesina
12-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Prayers for Brandon and all of the family.

cassiesmom
12-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Prayers for Brandon and his Family from here too.

Medusa
12-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Tell them I'll send a prayer for him - we brain surgery survivors have to look out for each other!

Amen, Karen! I'm a brain surgery survivor, too. Granted, it was a long time ago but Brandon has youth on his side. We're still praying here.....:love:

Catty1
12-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Huge Prayers for Brandon...if they need to operate, I pray all goes well.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

jennielynn1970
12-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to Brandon and his family, and you of course. I hope there is a Christmas miracle.

Laura's Babies
12-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Sis just called, Cindy called her. The tumor by Brandon's ear, after being compared to the MRI done in September to the MRI last night, has grown a lot. ....2% of it is in his ear and the rest is on his brain stem. There is no choice, they have to do surgery and are trying to get enough of a surgical team together to do it Monday. The doctor said he is fussy about his surgical team and a lot have left for the holidays so putting a team together is going to be a problem. He isn't sure what kind of tumor it is other than it is fast growing. There is a lot of concern for the part on the brain stem and he is sure he will not be able to get it all but will treat the rest with radiation after removing what he can. Then.... they will address the one on his right frontal lobe. Sis said there probably won't be anymore news until Monday...

Catty1
12-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I am glad to hear that the doctor is fussy about the team he puts together...Brandon will be in the best hands possible.

All prayers possible that all goes well; many hugs to Brandon and his family.:love:

Medusa
12-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Catty1 is right; the fact that the dr. is fussy about his surgical team is a good sign. Brandon is always in my prayers and is never far from my thoughts and neither are you, Laura. We're praying for a Christmas miracle. Keep the faythe. :love:

Laura's Babies
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Surgery is 7 am in the morning (Monday, Dec.22). The doctor is extreemly concerned about the outcome... PRAY PLEASE!

Catty1
12-22-2008, 12:02 AM
All my prayers are all yours.

Whatever happens, I hope that Brandon is comfortable.:love: I know the surgeons will do their utmost.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
12-22-2008, 06:26 AM
God was able to clear the weather and open the way so that Brandon could get to the hospital and now God is guiding the hands of the surgeons so that the outcome will be a positive one. Every cell, tissue, organ, muscle and bone are responding to the healing power w/in Brandon. The surgeons know what to do, how to do it and they're getting it done quickly, easily and in peace. :love:

Logan
12-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Laura, we will pray for a successful surgery. Please keep us posted as you can.

Logan

ramanth
12-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Many prayers for a successful surgery and a quick recovery!! :love:

Laura's Babies
12-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Brandon is out of surgery (surgery lasted under 6 hours). He had a lot of bleeding and swelling on the brain and they could only get a small amount of the tumor out because it is comletely wrapped around the brain stem... The doctor told them, the harmless tumors do not grow that fast.. They may still need to take him back to surgery if the bleeding and swelling continues. They had to give him blood during surgery. It is wait and see now, keep the prayers coming!

Sis said she was unaware but he was having some paralysis before surgery, she only learned that today. She made it to the hospital but didn't get there beforethey took him to surgery, said they could only go 20mph the whole way due to the weather..

cassiesmom
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Brandon is out of surgery (surgery lasted under 6 hours). It is wait and see now, kepp the prayers coming!

Absolutely! Thank you for the update.

lvpets2002
12-22-2008, 03:15 PM
:( Oh Laura I am so sorry to read this.. Oh yes sending Lots of Prayers & Prayers & Positive Healing Vibes.. Huggss too.. God Bless You All for the Strength Needed..

Medusa
12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
We'll keep the prayers going for as long as necessary and then some. :love:

Taz_Zoee
12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
The entire family is definitely being held in my thoughts. I hope for a successful recovery.

kimlovescats
12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh, Laura, I am just now finding this thread and read all the way through it! My prayers are with Brandon and the entire family. What a nightmare you all must be living in right now!

Love and Hugs and Prayers!
Kim

slick
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
What a worry for you and all the family.:( My prayers are coming through for his speed recovery.

Catty1
12-22-2008, 11:49 PM
{{{hugs}}}

Good to hear Brandon made it through surgery...but what the doc found sounds like a grim prognosis.

Are they going to try any radiation or even prednisone to shrink things down a bit?

My prayers to you and to the whole family. It must seem horrible and totally non-real at the same time.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Laura's Babies
12-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Catty-The already had him on prednisone, started him on that the night he got there I think.. They told them he will have to have radiation/chemo, don't know if that meant both or either/or...

Correction on one point. Sis told me last night they did get 80% of the tumor. She first said they didn't get but a small part of it.. I reckon things are setteling down and better information is being passed around now.

She said getting home yesterday took them 4 hours for that normally one hour drive. She said the car was slipping and sliding all over the place and they were all scared to death, on pins and needles the whole way. She had told Cindy (Brandon's Mom) she would be back today but called her and told her about their trip back and there was no way she was going to try that again.

Brandon DID wake up after she left and he was talking and his usual self so there are no ill effects from the surgery. They should have the results of the part of tumor they took out in a few days, know what kind of tumor is is and be able to go from there.

Medusa
12-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Surviving brain surgery is half the battle and that battle has been won! We'll continue prayers that Brandon will improve w/no ill effect. :love:

lvpets2002
12-23-2008, 09:34 AM
:( Oh poor Brandon.. Well Good News for the most of the Tumor gotten.. We will keep sending Lots of Prayers & Prayers && Positive Healing Vibes.. Huggs Huggss

Catty1
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
God bless that surgeon! He was wanting to pull the best team together that he could - might have even called some in from holidays. What he did is amazing!

Prayers that Brandon feels better - and that the rest of this nasty tumour will go back to nothing!

HUGS and more prayers to everyone.:love:

kimlovescats
12-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Laura, I am relieved to hear that 80% of the tumor was removed! Praying that the treatments will be able to get rid of the rest of it!

Love and Hugs, dear friend!
Kim:love:

jenluckenbach
12-23-2008, 02:26 PM
One step at a time, and so far so good. Prayers for the next step and the one after that.

Laura's Babies
12-23-2008, 05:06 PM
They are moving Brandon to a regular ROOM! They are trying to get him off the powerful pain meds and just giving him muscle relaxers, which Sis says knocks him out more than the pain meds do. Today, he told his Mom, "they have done what they needed to do...NOW I am ready to go home!"..

Sis said they are not going to celebrate Christmas until Brandon comes home. They tree will stay up, presents will not be touched and they will celebrate it all as a family when he gets home, including Christmas dinner..

She said he has had 3 girls there since this started, 2 ex girlfriends and his current one so he is being carefully watched over by more than his Mom and Grandma. :D

Catty1
12-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Seems he is in little or no pain....thank God!

It will be great if he can go home soon...the radiation can follow a bit later on.

HUGS and prayers that Brandon goes on to a full recovery in the New Year! :)

NoahsMommy
12-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Laura,

He gets to be in a "Normal" room on the med/surg unit??? That IS great news! :) YAY for Brandon!!! You go guy! Sounds like his body is strong and has fabulous docs. ((((hugs to the family)))))

I'll be keeping Brandon and his/your family in my prayers. Thank you for the great updates. I just saw this thread and was so glad we had some GOOD news at the 'end' of it.

It seems that when patients are spunky and back to their normal selves and ESPECIALLY when they're "READY TO GO HOME" it means they are getting better and home is usually the best place for them, NOT the hospital.

LOTS of prayers coming to you and your relatives in Washington.

Hugs and :love: ,
Kelly, Noah, Basil, Phoebe & Micah

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Medusa
12-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Now that's what I call progress! This is encouraging news! We're keeping him in our prayers here, that's for sure; he's the first one on our prayer list every morning and night. God is surely watching over him. :)

Laura's Babies
12-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Update on MRI post # 58..

Got this from Sis this morning;

I was going to call but I was afraid you may be sleep. Cindy called and says that Brandon started with violent migrains and nausea again so they took him for another MRI. Guess they are checking for brain bleeds. It happened right after they took him out of ICU and put him in his room. She is suppose to call me if they find out anything, will let you know as soon as I find know. Probably in the morning sometime. (Wed, AM). Days are running together and I can't keep up with what day it is anymore! Ha!!!

I want to thank you all for the prayers, this is such a roller coaster ride for the family, as I am sure it will continue to be for a long time. Your concern and prayers help a lot!

Medusa
12-24-2008, 06:52 AM
With God, all things are possible. "The light of God surrounds Brandon, the love of God enfolds him, the power of God protects him, the presence of God watches over him; wherever Brandon is, God is, and all is well." Keep the faythe. :love:

Taz_Zoee
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Laura, I get LES everytime I come to read an update. Sometimes happy tears and sometimes sorry tears.
I will be thinking of Brandon and the family this holiday, especially while I am in a hospital myself visiting Bruce's mom. I will be thinking of every single person that is in a hospital instead of with their families.

Catty1
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
All prayers to Brandon and family...I hope they can get this under control! After removing so much of the tumour, he has a good chance to move ahead and heal!

Prayers that this is just a setback. :love::love::love::love:

Laura's Babies
12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
OK, the MRI results are in. The doctor admitted the MRI was on his whole body... they were looking for more tumors anywhere else. Phew! There were none! His brain looks good where they did the surgery, no bleeding ect.. No explanation as to why the headaches and nausea.. (excpet that it is on his brain stem)

The MRI lasted for 2 1/2 hours and he was told if he started getting freaked out, just to push the button... he could not find the button to push! Cindy told her Mom when they brought him back to his room, he was in a panic and freaking out, that it took him a long time to calm him down and go to sleep... SOON as he fell asleep, a physical therapist showed up so they sent her packing and let him sleep.. He did not want ANYBODY to touch him when he came back to his room...

Catty1
12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Poor Brandon...I've not had an MRI, but know of people who can't tolerate it...and some who are fine.

Good news on no tumours!

I wonder if the nausea was just a result of where the surgery was?

Huge prayers again that he feels better soon, and that the cause of this nausea can be pinpointed.

I hope that Brandon is stable and well before you have to go back to work, Laura!:love:

Laura's Babies
12-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok, they are saying the nausea and headache now are a result of the surgery but he should start feeling better in a few days. Sis said he had a rough night last night and a really rough day today..

jenluckenbach
12-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Poor dear Brandon. Prayers he feels well VERY soon!!

Catty1
12-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Prayers and gentle {{{{hugs}}}} to Brandon.

Do you think sending the link to this thread to your sis would be an idea? Or copying and pasting the posts? Names aren't needed - just wondered if hearing from people he doesn't know might be a comfort and support to him.

I really hope he starts feeling better soon.:love:

Medusa
12-26-2008, 06:57 AM
I've not had an MRI either but I've heard that it really can test your nerves. I'm sorry that Brandon has had that to deal with on top of everything else. It's good news, though, that the drs. feel the nausea and headache are due to the surgery, which makes sense, I guess. Prayers are unceasing here and we just know that Brandon will continue to improve. What a Christmas party you're all going to have! :love:

Laura's Babies
12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Todays update from Sis.. Before taken to the hospital, the tumor on the brain stem had ruptured, that was the reason for the swelling, headaches and nausea. Today was the first time Sis had heard it had ruptured... That can NOT be good!

The doctor told his Mom today that his brain is swelling again (as expected after surgery) but has not stopped, nor responding to the medication and the reason the pain and nausea has not stopped. They changed his medication to try to get the swelling to stop and go down, if there is no improvement by the end of today, he will have to be put back in ICU. He has been through SO much in this last week that it scares me!

Catty1
12-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Poor Brandon, and his mom!

I hope the medication starts to work, just so he can feel more comfortable.

Prayers for Brandon. :love:

jennielynn1970
12-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh my gosh, that poor guy! I really hope they can find something to make the swelling go down and that he will get better.

Prayers being said for Brandon and his family.

pomtzu
12-26-2008, 05:16 PM
That poor guy is going thru sooo much! Prayers that he is soon feeling better and on the road to recovery. Hopefully - no more surprises for his Mom too.

I can understand him being upset with the MRI. I've had many, and tho they never bothered me, I can fully understand how some people have a problem tolerating them.

jenluckenbach
12-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Such sad news that Brandon is not feeling better yet. :( Many more prayers coming.

cassiesmom
12-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Such sad news that Brandon is not feeling better yet. :( Many more prayers coming.

From here, too

Bengalz
12-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Laura,

I am so sorry to hear that Brandon is going through such a difficult time and hope his doctors can help him through it. This has to be heart wrenching for you and your family.

Hugs to you dear lady :love:

Medusa
12-27-2008, 07:57 AM
So now the drs. are reconsidering why there is swelling? Well, whatever the reason, God is aware and is on it. An angel is standing right over Brandon, guarding and protecting him and making all things right. I'm looking forward to a better update soon. Keep the faythe. :love:

Laura's Babies
12-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Brandon was moved back to ICU yesterday. I was hoping to hear more but haven't. Maybe today...

Laura's Babies
12-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Latest is he was moved back to ICU but because the staff is so shorthanded that he was not getting his pain meds on time and would get better attention in ICU.. How right they were, he was UP and walking today and feeling tons better!!

Sis said they are going to treat him with radiation and oral chemo. Mention was even made that he could be home as early as Wednesday of he continues on like this! ***HAPPY DANCES! *****HAPPY DANCES***!! UPWARDS NOW!! Pray there are NO setbacks and he continues upwards now!

cassiesmom
12-27-2008, 08:59 PM
So ... it sounds like the swelling on Brandon's brain has come down, since he's able to be up and about. That is good news!

Catty1
12-27-2008, 10:14 PM
YAHOO!

I thought about him being more closely watched and cared for in ICU...the nurses on the regular wards try, but they are SO understaffed, as you said!

They are probably as glad as anyone that Brandon is getting good care.

Up and walking around? What does he think he is? HEALTHY??? :D

Great news all around! I hope he does get to come home soon!:love::love::love:

Medusa
12-28-2008, 07:10 AM
What wonderful news! Everyone must be so elated! We'll keep the prayers going so that he stays on track and keeps improving and getting better and better. What a great way to start the new year! :love:

Laura's Babies
12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Yesterday was the best day ever for Brandon (since this all started). Sis said
Cindy says that Brandon is doing 10 times better today. He is eating, keeping his food down (no nausea) not to many bad headaches. He's more alert than he's been and looking good. She says he's lost 30 pounds but I had to laugh because Brandon had been trying to lose weight. I say he pick a hell of a way to do it!!!!!!!!

Taz_Zoee
12-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I am so happy to hear that Brandon is doing well. :D
Yeah, not a good way to lose weight there buddy! :p

lvpets2002
12-29-2008, 09:55 AM
:love::eek: So good to hear that he is doing much better.. Still sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss..

Laura's Babies
12-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Ok, even better news. They are going to do a CT scan today and if that looks good, he will go home tomorrow!!! Sis said he has lost 30 pounds since this started but he was wanting to loose weight anyway.. He will have things he will have to deal with, his eye sight isn't that good now, his hands don't work like they did and I guess he is still deaf in that ear since they said that would be permenant.

Laura's Babies
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
They moved him out of ICU yesterday and are sending him home TODAY!! Sis said the move from ICU wore him out... They are taking a pillows and blankets so he can rest & relax coming home.. HAPPY DANCING here!!:D

jenluckenbach
12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Very glad to hear he is heading home. Hope all goes well.

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
This is wonderful news!! Woo Hoo!! :D :D

phesina
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
That's fantastic. Welcome home, Brandon!

K9karen
12-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Have a Happy, Healthy New Year, Brandon!

Medusa
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
What a wonderful way to start the new year. Congrats and welcome home, Brandon!