PDA

View Full Version : Here's a poll...

moosmom
12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
If you were making a ham and cheese sandwich and you only had one piece of cheese left, and that piece happen to fall on the floor, what would you do?

That's what happened to me a little while ago. I won't even TELL you what I did, so I'm asking you guys WWPTD??

Medusa
12-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I'd rinse it off and kiss it up to God (remember that as kids?) and eat the flippin' sandwich.

moosmom
12-19-2008, 04:45 PM
AMEN Mary!!!! Cat hair is a condiment in my house. Boy did it hit the spot! I had sweet pickles with it! YUMMY!!

k9krazee
12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Well...considering the amount of dog hair in this house (and we do clean, I swear!), I would feed it to the dogs and make myself a ham sandwich.

lvpets2002
12-19-2008, 04:48 PM
:o Well now if I got to the piece of cheese first then I would wash it off & eat it.. Now if one or so of my babies got to it first then it would be theirs.. :D

Casper
12-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I would pick the cheese right back up and eat it on my sandwich.. after I ditched the ham, that is.

It reminds me of a time when a good friend was over for lunch about a year ago. He found a cat hair in his food and asked what he should do... I told him to pick the hair out and just keep eating. Luckily he was a good sport and did exactly as I suggested. :-D

Randi
12-19-2008, 05:07 PM
We PTalkers are no sissies are we! I'd pick it up, dust it off and eat it. ;) I do keep my kitchen floor clean!

Alysser
12-19-2008, 05:12 PM
It would have to depend on what floor it was off of. School cafeteria floor= hell no. My own kitchen floor= Let's not waste some good cheese! :p

Pam
12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
I would never have to make a decision like that as it would be scoffed up probably before it hit the ground! LOL! My dogs stand right next to me whenever I make food just waiting for something like that to occur! :D

Freedom
12-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I would apply "the 10 second rule," also from when we were kids. Which means, as Pam said, I would not be the one getting to the cheese first. :(;)

pomtzu
12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I would never have to make a decision like that as it would be scoffed up probably before it hit the ground! LOL! My dogs stand right next to me whenever I make food just waiting for something like that to occur! :D

Yup - that's the way it works here too! :) And if by some remote chance they weren't right there and I could retrieve it - I sure as heck would rinse it off and proceed...........

moosmom
12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Well, well, well, now I don't feel so bad!! Thank God for the 10 second rule.:p

chocolatepuppy
12-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Same as a few others said, the dogs would have it before I got a chance. ;)

Scooter's Mom
12-19-2008, 06:57 PM
We always used the 5 second rule. Now I know it's really 10 seconds! Ahha!
I have 5 more seconds to get to it.

Twisterdog
12-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Well...considering the amount of dog hair in this house (and we do clean, I swear!), I would feed it to the dogs and make myself a ham sandwich.

Agreed. I think the "five second rule" becomes null and void when one has six dogs.

And, the whole thing is moot point in my house anyway. I assure you, a dropped piece of cheese would never have the chance to hit the floor around here. It would be headed toward Miss Vanilla's belly about three feet off the ground.

jenluckenbach
12-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd examine it and see if it had a tolerable amount of hair on it, and eat it! Heck, I probably eat more hair than that without dropping it! :p

catnapper
12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
5 second rule for me.... except we have a Callie dog who'd eat it like the others.

Cameron wanted cheese this morning. We were fresh out of string cheese and I didn't feel like opening a new pack of American cheese so I gave him a slice of swiss.... Callie enjoyed it thoroughly after Cameron made yuckie faces.

Catty1
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
A few months back, I was at the front of the church, lined up for communion. We used bits of pita bread at the time.

It's not a dead serious occasion in many ways, but certainly a quiet and sacred rite of the church. Greg, the priest came along the line to me with the bread, and quietly intoned "The body of Christ, the bread of Heaven", and somehow the bread bounced merrily onto the floor.

Greg and I looked at each other for a split stunned second - it was all I could do to not burst out laughing, and that I swallowed the laughter was clear on my face.

After the service, I checked with Greg - and yes, the 10 second rule does apply to the Communion host. Just so we know for next time. ;)

sumbirdy
12-19-2008, 09:27 PM
As others have said, the dogs would probably snatch it up first. Although since I love cheese, I have been known to dive in with the dogs and TRY to retrieve it anyway.

Flatcoatluver
12-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I would have ate it, and yes I have done it before. Just pick off the dog hair and deal with it!

Now my best friend would probally throw up at the thought of me doing it, total germ-a-phopic. She has to wash her hands after touching anything in my house. Ha Ha

Karen
12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Growing up, the dog would have gotten it. It probably never would have made it as far as the floor! Now, I'd have to toss the cheese and just add some mustard to my sandwich! Being married to someone with a not-too-robust immune system makes me more careful.

Lady's Human
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Being that I'm normally tripping over a dog while I'm trying to make something in the kitchen, the cheese would have been a lost cause the moment it slipped from my hand.

kt_luvs_kitties
12-20-2008, 02:47 AM
LOL, if you only knew how many times I have picked up dropped food and ate it:p I probably have hairballs myself!:rolleyes:

Just the other day, I was eating a salad, and I had to check every piece before putting it in my mouth, because as the lettuce was drying on the counter, Penny rolled in it:rolleyes: Did I rinse it off? NOPE. Did I make a new one? NOPE. I just picked through it, once piece at a time! It was too late and I was too lazy to make a new one, LOL.

And EVERYTIME I have dinner guest, I tell them beforehand that if the cat hair in their food is an issue, dont eat ANYTHING:D Extra protein IMO;)

Suki Wingy
12-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Eat it.

Mythbusters proved the 5 second rule is false. The food gets just as many germs after five seconds as if it were sitting there longer. (I forget the exact time)

Still, I'd eat it.

AdoreMyDogs
12-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, granted my house is quite small and it houses two large (and high shedding) dogs and two long hair cats, I most likely would have picked it up, split it in two, and fed to the dogs. Now, if it happened RIGHT after I dry mopped and/or wet mopped (the whole house is tile) then I would eat it without a problem, just pick the stray hairs out.

Quinn has, in her short life, eaten more pet hair then I care to even think about. She is constantally dropping her food, picking it up and eating it. If it's way too covered in hair for even Miss Quinn, she'll say "dirty" and hand it to me and I must rinse it off (or replace it with a hairless morsel).

I try to keep the floors clean by mopping 4 or so times a week, but even with that, it's still always a hairy mess.

It's funny, I am totally grossed out by human hair but a stray animal hair in my food doesn't bother me much. I was at my friends house a few weeks ago and she made us scrambled eggs. I had to pick a couple of her cats hairs out of my eggs and it didn't even phase me. I wouldn't have eaten them if one of my friends hairs got into the eggs :eek:

Twisterdog
12-20-2008, 10:08 AM
It's funny, I am totally grossed out by human hair but a stray animal hair in my food doesn't bother me much.

I totally agree with that. After owning a grooming shop for many, many years, dog hair does not phase me much.

DH walked into the grooming shop the other day as I was cleaning a crate that a dog had pooped in. It totally grossed him out, and he ran out gagging. I laughed! However, he will change his grandson's diapers with no problem at all, and there is no way on this earth you could talk me into changing a diaper anymore!

Same with vomit ... if one of the dogs throws up on the floor, I just grab some paper towels and clean it up. No big deal. But if any human being even hints that they might be throwing up any time soon, I am out of the house in about 2 seconds flat!

Hellow
12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Reggie would knock me down getting to it. Like she always does.

shepgirl
12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm a slow mover so I doubt it would be there if I tried grabbing it. If it was the very last piece I would yell to leave it and rinse it off (if it needed it) then proceed with the sandwich.

moosmom
12-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Shepgirl,

Great minds think alike!!!

Daisy and Delilah
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
This thread is so funny!!!! Great question, Donna.

D and D would dive for it but I usually tell them no and they won't continue. Cheese is their favorite food so it might not work in this case.

My final answer: inspect and add to the sandwich. I am another person that probably eats more dog hair than I can ever really know about.:)

cassiesmom
12-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd rinse it off and kiss it up to God (remember that as kids?) and eat the flippin' sandwich.

Almost the same here - pick it up, rinse it off; give a piece to Cassie Cat, who loves cheese; and plop it on the sandwich. Cat hair is par for the course at my house.

Edited to add: Cassie was probably in the kitchen anyway the second she heard the cheese being unwrapped. String cheese, Kraft Singles or slices of cheese from the supermarket deli counter - she's there.

cyber-sibes
12-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Star & Jack would get to split it! I don't eat food that hits the floor, period. Hubby uses the 10-second rule. He's have dusted it off & eaten it anyway.