PDA

View Full Version : This Might Offend Some People.....Pet lovers protest cats on the menu in China

Anikaca77
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I wish I could do more for these poor cats and dogs. - Melissa

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081219/ap_on_re_as/as_china_cat_protest;_ylt=Aqi74lGiqniHfA2SPOf5kXGs 0NUE

GUANGZHOU, China – While animal lovers in Beijing protested the killing of cats for food on Thursday, a butcher in Guangdong province — where felines are the main ingredient in a famous soup — just shrugged her shoulders and wielded her cleaver. "Cats have a strong flavor. Dogs taste much better, but if you really want cat meat, I can have it delivered by tomorrow," said the butcher, who gave only her surname, Huang.

It was just this attitude that outraged about 40 cat lovers who unfurled banners in a tearful protest outside the Guangdong government office in Beijing. Many were retirees who care for stray felines they said were being rounded up by dealers.

"We must make them correct this uncivilized behavior," said Wang Hongyao, who represented the group in submitting a letter urging the provincial government to crack down on traders and restaurants, although they were breaking no laws.

The protest was the latest clash between age-old traditions and the new sensibilities made possible by China's growing affluence. Pet ownership was once rare because the Communist Party condemned it as bourgeois and most people simply couldn't afford a cat or dog.

The protesters' indignation was whipped up by recent reports in Chinese newspapers about the cat meat industry. On Monday, the Southern Metropolis Daily — a Guangdong paper famous for its exposes and aggressive reporting — ran a story that said about 1,000 cats were transported by train to Guangdong each day.

The animals came from Nanjing, a major trading hub for cats, the newspaper said. They were brought to market by dealers on motorcycles, crammed into wooden crates and sent to Guangdong on trains. A photo showed a cat with green eyes peering from a crowded crate.

Some people in Nanjing spend their days "fishing for cats," often stealing pets, the report said.

One cat owner in Guanghzou said people are afraid to let their pets leave the house for fear they will get nabbed.

"It's never been this bad. Who knows, it might be because of the bad economy. I've heard that there are cat-nabbing syndicates from Hunan that are rounding up cats," said the man, who would only give his surname, Lai, because he feared the cat business might be run by gangsters.

Animal protection groups have occasionally ambushed truck convoys loaded with bamboo cages filled with cats bound for Guangdong. In one recent case, hundreds of cats escaped after their cages were opened, though hundreds more remained penned in the vehicle.

Lai Xiaoyu, who was involved in the attempted "rescue," said authorities couldn't stop the cat shipment because the traders said the animals were to be raised as pets.

"The police did what they could, but there's little they can do to stop or punish those traders from shipping live animals," Lai said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, issued a statement Thursday decrying the cruel treatment.

"China has no animal protection laws, and throughout the country scores of cats and dogs are bred or rounded up, crammed onto trucks and driven for days under hellish conditions to animal markets, where they are beaten to death, strangled or boiled alive," said a spokesman for the group, Michael V. McGraw.

Guangdong is home to the Cantonese people, famous for being the most adventurous eaters in China. There's a popular saying: "The Cantonese will eat anything that flies, except airplanes, and anything with legs, except a chair."

Zhu Huilian, a nutrition and food safety professor at Sun Yat-Sen University in Guangdong's capital, Guangzhou, said people usually eat cat in restaurants, not at home.

"There's a famous soup called 'Dragon, Tiger and Phoenix,'" Zhu said. "It involves cooking snake, cat and chicken together. In winter more people eat cats as they believe it's extra nutritious."

The wide-ranging Cantonese culinary tastes are on display daily in Guangzhou, also known as Canton, in the Qing Ping Market. Shopkeepers sit behind cages full of writhing snakes, tubs with turtles and plastic basins with mounds of scorpions crawling over each other.

That's where the butcher, Huang, sells her meat, sliced on a blood-soaked cutting board in a stall filled with cages of chickens and rabbits.

Hanging on a hook from its head — with its snout cut cleanly off — was a skinned dog with a long curly tail, paws with small clumps of fur still on them and black claws. The dog's jaw bone was displayed in a metal tray beneath the carcass.

"The cat meat we sell comes from legitimate sources," said Huang, who gave only her surname because her boss doesn't allow her to speak to reporters. "It's from cat farms. The animals are raised the same way cows are."

She said cat meat sold for about $1.32 a pound, while dog meat was cheaper, at about 95 cents a pound. Chicken was the best buy at 62 cents a pound, while lamb sold for about $1.32.

Huang said customers had to order cat meat a day in advance because it doesn't sell as well as dog.

"Cat tastes a bit like lamb. I don't like it much," she said. "Young cats are tender, but the meat on the older ones is really tough. Usually old people like eating it."

___

Associated Press writer Gillian Wong in Beijing, researchers Xi Yue in Beijing and Ji Chen in Shanghai, and Carley Petesch in New York contributed to the report.

catmandu
12-19-2008, 09:24 AM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

CathyBogart
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Question: What makes a cat's life any more valuable than that of a cow or a chicken?

Medusa
12-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Question: What makes a cat's life any more valuable than that of a cow or a chicken?

I think it isn't so much a value judgment as it is a cultural one. Also, I've read that they skin the cats and then boil them alive. That's barbaric and should be outlawed, whether or not it's their culture to eat them. Cats and dogs are domesticated and have become pets and, to some, even family members. That isn't the case w/cow and chickens.

CathyBogart
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
People keep cattle and chickens as pets too. Of course any creature should be treated humanely, but that doesn't seem to be the issue up for debate in this article.

If I'm going to object to people eating humanely killed cats, I think I should object just as strongly to people eating humanely killed hens or cattle or pigs. None of these animals are "better" than any other, none more or less deserving of life.

Medusa
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Apparently, some of the cats were being "rounded up", stolen, and these were people's pets that were being stolen. I'd be upset, too, if someone stole my pet whether to eat them or keep them.

Alysser
12-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I was thinking that too, Cathy. I mean, this may seem warped to us because we keep cats as pets but some people keep pigs, cattle, sheep, and chickens as pets. I think it's the fashion in which they are being taken that is making people mad, not that fact that it's a cat. If my pet were stolen for food, those people would have HELL to pay!

Giselle
12-19-2008, 03:37 PM
IF the cats come from legitimate farms and are NOT pets nor strays and are raised/killed humanely, what would the issue be? Would the issue simply be a conflict of cultural values? Naturally, Chinese farms are not humane, but I've seen pigs and chickens in worse conditions and killed in worse manners than farmed cats and dogs. Why isn't anybody fighting for those animals? Just some questions.

I do think the primary issue here is that Western culture abhors the consumption of traditionally "higher-level" animals, animals with larger cognitive capacities like cats and dogs vs. chickens. But it's a difficult thing to gauge when so much of our beliefs regarding these issues are socially and culturally based.

caseysmom
12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I totally agree with giselle on this and don't think its our place to force our cultural norms on another country. I would hope animals would be kept humanely and killed humanely everywhere, if you think the U.S. is any better read Fast Food Nation, it will disgust you.

moosmom
12-19-2008, 05:54 PM
This subject is making me ill. I totally agree with Medusa, though.

Twisterdog
12-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I do not believe ANY animal should be tortured. I don't care if it's a cat, a chicken, a fish, a cow ... treat it humanely while it is alive. Humans are omnivores by nature, most of us eat meat. I think all animals killed for food ought to be treated decently while alive, and killed quickly and humanely.

However, I think it is vastly hypocritical for people to say that killing and eating a cat or a dog is a ghastly, terrible thing ... when they had bacon for breakfast, a chicken sandwich for lunch, and a steak for dinner. Is that cat or dog's life inherently more valuable than than the pig's, the chicken's or the cow's? I think not. Do American slaughter houses kill livestock more humanely that those cats and dogs were killed? Probably not.

All animals feel pain and fear, regardless of species. My aunt and uncle had a pet pig once. He was housetrained, slept by their bed, rode in their van, walked on a leash, and knew dozens of adorable tricks. He was sweet and loving and smart ... very much like a dog. My grandma had a pet chicken for many, many years. That chicken loved my grandma, I have no doubt, and it was as tame, sweet and cuddly as any cat. So why do so many people think it's perfectly fine to slaughter a pig or chicken, but doing the same thing to a dog or cat is wrong?

Americans are quick to criticize other countries who consume cats, dogs or horses. There are countries who feel that Americans eating cows is the same abomination. What makes "us" right, and "them" wrong?

Furthermore, do we, as Americans, have any room to criticize any country's treatment of animals, such as cats and dogs, while hundreds of thousands of these same creatures are starving on our streets or being gassed in our animal control facilities and shelters every year? We are the richest country in the world, and untold thousands of pets die here every year ... not for food, but thrown out with the garbage, for the simple reason that a geat number of Americans are lazy, stupid and greedy. We need to be careful of the rocks we throw, while living in that glass house.

Medusa
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I do not believe ANY animal should be tortured. I don't care if it's a cat, a chicken, a fish, a cow ... treat it humanely while it is alive. Humans are omnivores by nature, most of us eat meat. I think all animals killed for food ought to be treated decently while alive, and killed quickly and humanely.

However, I think it is vastly hypocritical for people to say that killing and eating a cat or a dog is a ghastly, terrible thing ... when they had bacon for breakfast, a chicken sandwich for lunch, and a steak for dinner. Is that cat or dog's life inherently more valuable than than the pig's, the chicken's or the cow's? I think not. Do American slaughter houses kill livestock more humanely that those cats and dogs were killed? Probably not.

All animals feel pain and fear, regardless of species. My aunt and uncle had a pet pig once. He was housetrained, slept by their bed, rode in their van, walked on a leash, and knew dozens of adorable tricks. He was sweet and loving and smart ... very much like a dog. My grandma had a pet chicken for many, many years. That chicken loved my grandma, I have no doubt, and it was as tame, sweet and cuddly as any cat. So why do so many people think it's perfectly fine to slaughter a pig or chicken, but doing the same thing to a dog or cat is wrong?

Americans are quick to criticize other countries who consume cats, dogs or horses. There are countries who feel that Americans eating cows is the same abomination. What makes "us" right, and "them" wrong?

Furthermore, do we, as Americans, have any room to criticize any country's treatment of animals, such as cats and dogs, while hundreds of thousands of these same creatures are starving on our streets or being gassed in our animal control facilities and shelters every year? We are the richest country in the world, and untold thousands of pets die here every year ... not for food, but thrown out with the garbage, for the simple reason that a geat number of Americans are lazy, stupid and greedy. We need to be careful of the rocks we throw, while living in that glass house.

Very well expressed indeed.

smokey the elder
12-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Definitely valid points. People should try not to judge other cultures, even if they disagree with what they do. Having said that, if the animal in question is someone's pet (no matter what animal it is) and it's stolen and used for food I think that is inappropriate. Animals intended as food should be treated humanely prior to slaughter; we are not without blame on this in the US.

Anikaca77
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
I agree as well.

Very well expressed indeed.

king2005
12-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Definitely valid points. People should try not to judge other cultures, even if they disagree with what they do. Having said that, if the animal in question is someone's pet (no matter what animal it is) and it's stolen and used for food I think that is inappropriate. Animals intended as food should be treated humanely prior to slaughter; we are not without blame on this in the US.

Agree 100%!!

I use to be flamed because I breed feeder Rats. It has finally stopped as people have realized that its not the animals type that matters, its the treatment of any feeder animal that matters.

I knew I treated my rats far better then any "Feeder Breeder" did. I treated them like pets (without names). Spoiled them, gave them LOTS of running space, fresh foods, juice, water, Aspen, treats & SOOOO many toys. I then killed them as humainly as I could so they could still be used as a healthy meal for Axle. I had many rules in place for the way it was done. If I couldn't follow all the rules at that time, I had to wait. Or I would give the "rat" away, or make it a pet until I could find it a home as I couldn't obay by my specific rules. I don't like killing things, but I have no issues killing for food in the most humain way I can.

Lilith Cherry
12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I live in rural Guangdong; Cats are sold in several of the markets where I buy my food ( pork and chicken and fish along with fresh vegetables) Yes, it makes me want to cry but I do understand that the local people have different ideas on what to eat. They do NOT, however torture the cat but very quickly slit its throat. They kill it in the same manner the kill chickens and ducks and rabbits.

I am always very worried in case my cats get out as I am sure they would be dinner for someone in the area if they did. Different cultures see things in different ways but the vast majority of Chinese people are no more cruel to animals than other nationalities. We just hear the horror stories in the west and don't see the pet lovers and kind people because they don't make good news stories.