PDA

View Full Version : The Pickle game/legend

kitten645
12-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Does everyone know this? I feel like a dolt! Never knew about it until last year. And I'm part German!

The Legend of the Pickle

Long ago in Germany, the famous pickle legend came to be, a fun game for the entire family.

No one knows who, what or why, but it's a Christmas tradition to be enjoyed, even by the most shy.

Hidden in the branches of every Christmas tree, children of all ages hunt for the pickle in green.

The younger the child the bigger the pickle is, as we grow, the pickle size gets smaller and presents big challenges.

Hunt for it, search for it, but your hands must be behind, and do not touch the tree, or you'll lose the prize in mind.

If you find that hidden gurken, you are the lucky one indeed, as there's a special present waiting for you, the winner of the green.

If you were not the lucky winner, do not shed a tear, as the search for the hidden green pickle comes once again, next year!

Happy Holildays!
Claudia

Moesha
12-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I cleaned for a woman that does this with her family. She said that the grand kids love looking for it. I had never heard of it before. I wondered why there was a pickle on her tree.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-18-2008, 04:07 AM
My grandma does it. It's really fun for the younger kids, even me! =]

Now we have our own pickle for our tree. =]

Medusa
12-18-2008, 07:26 AM
I've not heard of it before but it sounds like a fun tradition.

Suki Wingy
12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, we do that.

smokey the elder
12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
My fiance is of German extraction, and told me about the Christmas pickle, so I had to get one!

Cataholic
12-18-2008, 07:50 PM
We have one! I don't "hide" it, it is simply placed on the tree.

cassiesmom
12-19-2008, 01:10 PM
My mom and dad have two pickle ornaments. They are different - I bought one and my mom bought one when my youngest nieces (now 17) were little. The first couple of years we didn't really hide it, and one year we put big pink bows on them so the girls would spot them. I gave them little gifts - crayons, stickers, lip glosses, that sort of thing. It's no longer cool now that the girls are teenagers, but my best friend's niece just started walking on her own, so I bought one for her to start the tradition with her niece.