lizbud
12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Just when you think his time in public life is almost over. He is still
managing to do as much damage to America as he possibly can.:mad:

A parting shot at the enviroment.:rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28283620/

Sirrahsim
12-17-2008, 07:06 PM
How dare he take steps to lower our dependence on foreign oil and create jobs for Americans here in our own country. What is he thinking
:rolleyes:

Karen
12-17-2008, 07:19 PM
There are so many other areas to explore, and other resources to develop that would help us develop renewable energy that endangering the wilderness is just needless. It would take years - the usual time quoted is ten years - before we ever got a drop of oil even if they started the process tomorrow. I hope in ten years time we will be less dependent on oil, period.

Marigold2
12-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I signed a petition to stop the drilling yesterday. We can do without our SUV, private jets, but this land is God's gift to us and cannot be replaced. Some place has to be left that has not been mutilated for profit be it oil, diamonds, or another look a like housing complex. We have to treat the earth with respect, it is a living thing and we live upon it. Why are we continuing to rape our home for a bigger car with more cup holders.?

smokey the elder
12-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Recession or no, we seem to be driving fewer SUVs, thanks to the gas spike in the summer. I saw a neat story how Toledo is becoming "solar valley". They have lots of glass manufacturing there, which can be adapted for solar panels, which use much glass. I hope that even with the (temporary) bottom in oil, there is still a sense of urgency for developing and marketing alternative energy.

lizbud
12-18-2008, 05:12 PM
There are so many other areas to explore, and other resources to develop that would help us develop renewable energy that endangering the wilderness is just needless. It would take years - the usual time quoted is ten years - before we ever got a drop of oil even if they started the process tomorrow. I hope in ten years time we will be less dependent on oil, period.

Karen, you are so right. This policy is so short sighted. Short term gain
for a forever loss of these beautiful gifts of nature. (our heritage)

moosmom
12-18-2008, 05:54 PM
GW is a jerk and I can't wait till I can say buh-bye!!!!

Lady's Human
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
You guys do realize that this is nothing new, right?

The BLM was first criticised for this months ago, Congress could have stopped it, but nothing was done.

Nope, it's Pres. Bush's fault.

lizbud
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
You guys do realize that this is nothing new, right?

The BLM was first criticised for this months ago, Congress could have stopped it, but nothing was done.

Nope, it's Pres. Bush's fault.

Yes it is his doing. These regulations are not voted on by congress, they
are direct policy rules & regulations Bush put into effect. Part of the so called
"Midnight Regulations" package.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE4B875B20081209?sp=true

Lady's Human
12-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Nothing in DC happens quickly. The drilling areas were announced on election day, and had been being talked about much before that. If Congress realy wanted to do something about it, they could have. BLM is subject to laws just like any federal agency (Except Congress, who routinely exempts themselves from their own rules)