PDA

View Full Version : Wwptd?

Cataholic
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
My son is in preschool, 3 days a week, class size of 14 or 15. One mother sent out an email to solicit feedback for a group gift. Everyone contibute 20 (two teachers- 10 each) and she would purchase gift cards. I was thankful that someone else took on the task!! I contributed. I saw 1 or 2 emails come back declining participation, the one that I remember seeing said that they had already purchased a gift.

Today, we got the total collected, and how the money was spent. Couple of gift cards, and the 'left over' money was used to purchase a gift card for the director. I think ALL of that was appropriate, and was really happy with the way it worked out.

The last sentance of the email indicated that so and so's mom had gotten a card and names of the contributors was sent to her to place in the card.
That totally rubs me the wrong way. I think, and especially in today's economic times, I really think, that ALL children's names should have been included, or, better yet, "From your 3 day am class". I sent the gift card purchaser an email, with a copy to all contributors, and expressed my opinion (in very nice terms) and asked that this be re-considered. I haven't had a response to that email yet.

What do you all think?

Karen
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I think, given the age of the children, it should be sent from the whole class. It isn't like 3-year-olds have their own income to contribute, and its not a child's fault if the parents doesn't have the cash!

Taz_Zoee
12-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I agree with what Karen said. And, considering I was a preschool teacher for several years, I wouldn't care who contributed or not. I would rather see it as from the whole class.

jennielynn1970
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
I think, given the age of the children, it should be sent from the whole class. It isn't like 3-year-olds have their own income to contribute, and its not a child's fault if the parents doesn't have the cash!

Ditto. Why make some kid and parent, who don't have the money, feel even worse and be left out?! I'd rather just see that it was from the entire class, rather than pointing out this one and that one. That's childish and petty.

Cataholic
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Or chose not to participate, or got another gift, etc.

Husky_mom
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
points have been said.... I really have nothing else to add...

it seems like they want to point out who backed out...:rolleyes:

MoonandBean
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I love the title of your thread! Wwptd? Made me laugh :) You obviously have a good heart and don't need the "credit" for being one of the contributors. Unfortunately, some people will feel that those who didn't give shouldn't receive "credit" I like your way of thinking better!

RICHARD
12-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I think that by putting "from everyone" and sending the email out to everyone-contribution or not is fair enough.

Here's my corrupt take on it.

IF I HAD A KID in the class?

I don't have the money to participate?

I would have emailed back If I could help another way?

I put down that I'll bake a cake? Spend an afternoon helping out?
What does a case of those bug juice/cartons cost?
I know not everyone can drink that crap.
A few boxes of granola, cookies?

"This treat sponsored by.......?"

I think that in lieu of a contribution that maybe they could have given the option to donate time, baked goods, a class treat?

Edwina's Secretary
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
My siblings and I always go together to give my parents a gift for Christmas (housecleaning service for the next year.)

One of my sisters can never pay her proportionate share. This year she could pay nothing.

Nonetheless...the certificate is ALWAYS from all of us.

whihc reminds me....the others haven't sent me their checks yet...off to send some emails!

Hellow
12-17-2008, 02:21 PM

I agree. In our terrible economic times, people should not be left out of events such as this because of money.

Sirrahsim
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I think that you are completely right. I would have done the same thing in sending the reply for everyone to consider.

JenBKR
12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
I like the idea of saying it came from all the kids. I think that the teachers would appreciate it coming from all of the kids too.

prechrswife
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I think you are right. Having been a preschool teacher, I would have preferred it your way. Karen stated it very well.

Cataholic
12-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I haven't heard anything from my email out to the group. Who knows how this will pan out. Maybe it was just an honest oversight on someone's part.

Cataholic
12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
An Update:

Despite sending an email out to the approximate 13 contributors, no one, not even the money collector, responded. We had the preschool program this morning, and though I saw a few parents that I knew, no one said a thing to me.

I am sure I am on the disfavored list from this point forward. :(

Cinder & Smoke
12-18-2008, 05:23 PM

< snikker > ;)

Take it from me, who's been on a "disfavored list" a tyme or two myself;
Please don't sweat the small stuff! :p

You made a kind effort to smooth out a potential problem which the other parents
decided to ignore. Let's also hope the Teachers will take the High Road and
not really read the list of names. I guess the Christmas Spirit smacks everyone
a little differently. :(

PS:
I give up ... WHAT the heck does "Wwptd" stand for?
Another Lawyer Term?
:p

kt_luvs_kitties
12-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Too bad they did not respond. I think that everyone should be included. I am sure the spirit behind the gift is from EVERY child... Not just the parents who paid...

We love you, so dont worry about them!

Cinder & Smoke, I believe it stands for " What would Pet Talk do? " LOL:D

sumbirdy
12-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I think it stands for "What Would PT Do?"

It sounds to me like this parent is trying to become a teachers pet. I could be wrong.

I agree with everyone else, it's not the children's fault their parents don't, can't or won't donate. It's kinda sad to leave them out. It should have said it came from the kids and none of the parents names should have been put on it.

I don't see why you should be put on the "disfavored list"
I think a lot of parents can be irrational. "You gave your son a cookie?!:eek:" And there you go, you're automatically disliked because you gave your child one cookie. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't worry about that part too much.

Scooter's Mom
12-18-2008, 10:35 PM
points have been said.... I really have nothing else to add...

it seems like they want to point out who backed out...:rolleyes:

This is what the "children" I work with started doing with our previous manager for her birthday/bosses day/etc. It was uncalled for and just pointed out who could afford to splurge and who couldn't for that particular occasion.

blue
12-18-2008, 10:46 PM

Good for you, it builds character.

Cinder & Smoke
12-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Cinder & Smoke, I believe it stands for " What would Pet Talk do? " LOL :D

OMG! :p

WwPTd?

\/ \/

http://www.tamemymind.com/blog/images2007/smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

:D