PDA

View Full Version : 180 cats die in Humane Society fire in Oshawa

Catty1
12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
RIP poor babies. :( Bless and keep the few who were rescued.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/12/17/durham-humane.html

180 cats die in Humane Society fire in Oshawa
Last Updated: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 | 12:15 PM ET
CBC News

Fire destroyed the Humane Society building in Oshawa early Wednesday, killing nearly 180 cats, police said.

Investigators are still trying to determine the cause, which started about 2:30 a.m. ET.

By the time fire crews arrived, they were only able to save nine dogs and two cats.

The rescued animals, according to police, were frightened and freezing.

"We got those animals that were able to be saved and put them in police cruisers, and kept them warm, and comforted them until the experts showed up from animal services," said Cont. Dave Selby of Durham Regional Police.

A meeting will be held to decide the immediate future of the humane society in the region.

For now, the Toronto Humane Society has sent a van with pet food and blankets, and is prepared to house the surviving animals if needed.

Laura's Babies
12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
How sad! Actually it is heartbreaking...

lvpets2002
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
:( That is so so Sad & Horrifiing.. I would just be devastated..

Taz_Zoee
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM
:( Tears are falling down my face.

pomtzu
12-17-2008, 12:59 PM
:( Tears are falling down my face.

Ditto

MoonandBean
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
what a nightmare! I hope it was smoke inhalation that got them. I can't bear to think of the alternative :(

Medusa
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
What a horrible way to die and to be scared, too. It's unthinkable. :(

phesina
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm heartbroken too.

Catty1
12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
:(

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/12/17/7784106-sun.html

Few animals saved at Humane Society fire

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/12/17/humanesocietypic.jpg
Firefighters outside of the Durham Humane Society, where about 180 cats died in a fire overnight. (CHRIS DOUCETTE/Sun Media)

Almost 200 cats die in Humane Society fire

OSHAWA - Grief-stricken staff and volunteers comforted each other today as they stood stunned staring at what is left of the Durham Humane Society after a massive early morning blaze swept the animal shelter killing as many as 140 cats and 3 dogs.

The fire erupted around 2:15 a.m. and by the time fire crews arrived soon after the building on Waterloo St., just east of Ritson Rd. S., was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters and police officers worked feverishly to rescue the many animals trapped inside, but sadly they were only able to save nine dogs, two cats and a rat.

"They were able to stop the fire from spreading to the adjoining units," Susan King, Chief Fire Prevention Officer, said at the scene.

Staff and volunteers sobbed as they stared at the devestating effects of the fire.

"We're all still in shock," said the shelter's manager Ruby Richards. "We really haven't come to terms yet with the fact that these animals we worked with day in and day out, and treated like our own pets, are now gone."

She said the vet told her the animals died from smoke inhalation, "so they likely went peacefully."

"We have to hold onto that because if we thought anything else, I don't think we'd be able to cope," Richards said, a tear streaming down her cheek.

The animals trapped inside the shelter, for the most part, were pets that had been given up by their owners and were awaiting adoption.

"I'm just sick to my stomach at the thought of what those poor animals went through," said Darren Czob, 37, who volunteered at the shelter until a couple of months ago.

"They were all in cages, so there was nowhere for them to go, no (way to) escape," he added.

The rescued animals were initially kept warm in Durham police cruisers and then later taken to a nearby animal hospital, where they are being treated for their injuries.

The shelter has also been badly burned by the fire. The damage is pegged at about $250,000.

Humane Society staff are trying to find homes for the surviving animals and a trust fund will be set up to help re-build the shelter.

The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Ontario Fire Marshal's office.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/12/17/7780491-cp.html

Story from yesterday, another source:

Almost 200 cats die in Humane Society fire
By Tamsyn Burgmann, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Few animals saved at Humane Society fire

OSHAWA, Ont. - McCartney, a Himalayan kitten living in an animal shelter east of Toronto, had recently been adopted. Before going home with her new owners, however, she was scheduled to have her broken tail amputated Wednesday morning.

Tipsy, a chihuahua who had just been rescued from life in a garden shed, had also just been adopted. Her new owners were preparing to take her home next week, as soon as she was neutered.

But the chance for the owners to welcome their new pets home for the holidays came to a tragic end early Wednesday morning after a fire ripped through the Humane Society of Durham Region.

McCartney and Tipsy perished in the blaze along with about 150 other cats, two more dogs and about 40 smaller animals like rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters.

"We're just reeling from this," said Cindy Bennett, who has volunteered at the shelter for the past seven years.

"We're dying, we're dying. All of our babies are gone."

Firefighters, who were called to the blaze just after 2:30 a.m., arrived to find the building fully engulfed in flames.

Emergency workers entered the building and rescued 10 dogs, two cats and a rat named Bernard, but scores of other animals succumbed to smoke inhalation, said Durham Region police.

"We're just devastated, we can't believe it's happened," said shelter manager Ruby Richards, adding grief counsellors have arrived to give support to workers.

"It affects so many people."

The Ontario fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire, which hasn't yet been determined, police said.

The surviving animals were first taken for treatment at an animal hospital in nearby Whitby, Ont., and are now being housed at the Oshawa Animal Services Clinic.

Animal protection workers were also saddened by the shelter's high death toll.

"It's tragic that so many animals lost their lives so close to the holidays, where there was probably a good chance some of them would have found homes," said Ian McConachie, a spokesman for the Toronto Humane Society.

"It's always sad to lose an animal. To lose almost 200 is just unthinkable."

Alison Cross, a spokeswoman for the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, called the event "horrific."

"Their life's work is towards animals and helping animals, and unfortunately this tragic fire has destroyed that," she said.

"They spend their lives taking care of these animals, and something like this is really heartbreaking to see and hear."

The Ontario SPCA, which is affiliated with the Oshawa facility, will assist with properly disposing of the dead animals. It will also help the branch become operational again.

Cross said the society will be following up with fire officials.

"We definitely look to prevent this in the future, because animal protection is our No. 1 priority and we never want to see anything like this again."

Damage to the Oshawa building is estimated at $250,000. Richards said the shelter has been pushing to get a new facility to ease overcrowding for the past two years, but hasn't gained enough support.

"Unfortunately, now it looks like we're going to get the support, but too late," she said.

The Ontario SPCA is accepting financial donations at 1-888-O... ext. 323 or through www.humanedurham.com.

Catty1
12-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Another source...video (not of fire...of staff)

http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/article/115709

Marigold2
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
This is so sad. So sad. May you all be at the RB now, free of fear, hunger and pain and now may all your days be filled with joy. I have to hold on to that hope. I know that when I reach heaven so many of my fur children will be there waiting for me. :love:

luv my cats
12-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh no:(:(: