PDA

View Full Version : PT Prayers for Henry please *Update*

CultureJunky
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
UPDATED 18/01/2009

Could everybody send a wish for Henry who is going to the vets tomorrow afternoon. Henry is the cat that belongs to my neighbour Linda but mostly stays at our house. He's been losing weight, and not eating much at all, and I noticed him pawing at his mouth yesterday whilst eating, I think it could be some bad teeth or possibly Gingivitis? He's definatly having some tooth trouble bless him. He's thin enough as you can see from the picture below, but he is even skinnier at the moment :confused:

I am taking him to the vets along with Linda, we are going together as we are both his mums! :love:

I hope they can help him and make him feel better. Poor Henry

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/HenryKitchen.jpg

UPDATED 18/01/2009

Catty1
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Prayers for Henry!

Often it can be a dental thing...he may need a good cleaning and maybe some teeth pulled.

But he will eat a lot better.

Prayers that all goes well - he is a handsome boy. :love:

Taz_Zoee
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Hopefully it is just his teeth and the vet can get him all fixed up so he will be good as new.
Taz had to have a tooth pulled a few years ago and was on his way back to his "normal" weight shortly after it healed up. :)

Anikaca77
12-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Prays coming for Henry!

Laura's Babies
12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Prayers for Henry! Nothing worse that a sore mouth! Poor Baby!

lvpets2002
12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
:love: Yes Henry you are pretty thin.. However your still very Adorable baby.. Now be good at the Vets & get well real soon.. Hope you start eating good soon.. Prayers being sent & good healing vibes..

catmandu
12-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Prayers coming for Poor Henry, that they can find out whats wrong, and put him back on the road to health soon :love:
Hes such a Handsome Cat.:love::love::)

Medusa
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
A toothache can be so miserable. I hope that's all it is and that Henry can eat and feel better, gain weight and be as good as new.

CultureJunky
12-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Henry went to the vets today, they checked out his mouth and the one side (his left) is inflamed and sore. He has been given anti-biotics tablets and anti-inflammatory liquid. He's been a good boy and had two tablets already today in a bit of corned beef, and the liquid on some food I'm going to leave for him overnight. He has to go back on Christmas eve. We have to take a urine sample and they'll do some blood tests too. If his mouth is still bad, they may give him a dental. I really hope they will give him a dental, I think he needs one, the poor boy is just so hungry. I'm really hoping the anti-biotics will work soon as I want to be able to give him some food he can enjoy eating without any discomfort or pain.

Medusa
12-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Aw, poor boy. I know that certain antibiotics are used for different illnesses but I'm wondering if your vet can give him an injection of Convenia. It's an antibiotic that works for two weeks and you don't have to worry about pilling him or squirting a liquid down his throat. It works pretty fast, too. I'm not sure if it would apply in this case but it might be something to ask your vet about. Both my Pidge and Coco Puff had the shots and it really worked fast for them but then again it wasn't for dental. :)

orangemm
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes, prayers going up for Henry...poor guy, that has to hurt. Hope he will be feeling better soon............

CultureJunky
12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I was quite suprised too that he was given oral medicine rather than an injection. A slow releasing anti-biotic would've been much better, easier for Henry and us. He has a weeks worth of tablets, one twice a day and the liquid Metacam is once a day with food. Thankfully he's had two tablets in food today, hopefully the painkiller will start to work and he'll eat better in the morning. I'm quite anxious about him, and my neighbour is going to have to take him on her own next Wednesday as I am leaving to join my fiance's family for Christmas. Hopefully he'll be better by Xmas Eve.
I will be back for any appointments after that hopefully.....

doolittleky
12-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Prayers coming for Henry. Henry, I hope you feel better soon and gain those pounds back.
Melissa

lvpets2002
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
:love: Poor wittle Henry.. Hope he gets better soon.. Sending Lots of Healing Prayers & Huggss..

Felicia's Mom
12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Sending prayers to Henry.

Laura's Babies
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Fingers crossed that the meds work for Henry.

phesina
12-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Praying for Henry that the meds work well.

Freedom
12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh Henry! I am just now seeing this thread. I am glad he went to been checked over a t the vet. I do NOT like a sore mouth, ugh!

Prayers that the meds kick in quickly and he starts feeling better and eating.

I hope you and Linda both keep him indoors during this time. It is easiest to keep track of what he is eating and how much, what is being deposited in th elitter box, etc.

krazyaboutkatz
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Poor Henry.:( I hope that the meds will help his gum problems and that he'll feel better soon. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

CultureJunky
12-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Thank you all for your good wishes for Henry. He has eaten a whole dish of food today and had his morning tablet in corned beef, he thoroughly enjoyed that!
Sandra, Henry doesn't go at all much, and since he's been feeling unwell has only gone out twice for a hour then come back in. When I say he's moved in with us, that is literal! He is probably in our house more than we are, bless :love:
He doesn't ask to go out, and uses the litter tray. He's a good boy really.

CultureJunky
12-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Well Christmas has come and gone and it seems to have flown by. Henry has had two more vet appointments.
The blood and urine tests brought negative news, it seems that Henry has kidney disease (Chronic Renal Failure) his kidneys are not in good shape.
Luckily the anti-biotics have been good and he is eating again now, and also gained 29 grams in weight, which isn't much but it something.
He has another course of anti-biotics and has another appointment in two weeks time. If he is eating okay, we'll leave it at that, if he's back to having trouble, he'll be booked in for a dental, though the vet is reluctant to do this as the risk would be very high with an anaesthetic.
So my neighbour and I are happy to take care of Henry and try to do the best for him. He is happy in himself and eating regular though in small amounts, and he's not pawing at his mouth anymore. His gums do look slightly less inflamed. I am hoping the anti-biotics will clear the problem.

I have ordered Hills K/D (kidney diet) pouches online, so he will be going on a vetinary diet. They were expensive but I don't care, I don't mind paying, and my neighbour is going to pay half, as we both want to make him happy and as healthy as we possibly can.
The vet said that time wise, she couldn't really say, some cats live for years very well on a good diet and vet supervision, but others don't. I guess it's down to how happy Henry is with us.
He is more or less our cat now, but I have decided to leave the adoption idea for now, as Linda does really care for him, and I think feels that she wants to help pay for things as he's still 'officially' her cat even though he lives in our house with us. So I'm okay with that situation, it's Henry that is important not who he 'belongs' too.

Does anybody have any advice for helping Kidney disease, such as any supplements that are helpful, or natural herbal remedies, things like that. I'd be very interested to have any advice or info from PT'rs as you are the people who have been through these things with your cat. You can read a myriad of things online, but the best advice would be from somebody who has had a cat have this actual problem.

Thanks for all PT prayers, Henry is grateful for them all, as are we.

Kate

Lizzie
12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Lucky Henry, to have two guardians to take care of him. I've had several cats live for years with this condition, even without going on a special diet - though I used subq fluids which helped enormously. However, I just lost my Nougat to CRF only weeks after she was diagnosed, which really shocked me after the others had lived so long. As you said, it can go either way. We will all hope for a good few extra years for Henry.

Has your vet suggested Epatikin? You sprinkle it on their food and it helps bind excess phosphorus. Will you give subq fluids?

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I put my Taz on the k/d diet about 4 months ago. Although, he still has to have his treats each day. :rolleyes: I've been looking for treats that are low in protein, but haven't found any.
Taz's kidney levels have been slowly (very slowly) going up over the past couple years. So I just hope they do not shoot up suddenly on me. He is super skinny (at his heaviest he was 21 1/2lbs, and now is maybe 12lbs) but eats pretty good.

I will hope that the diet helps with Henry's levels and he is around for many years to come with both of his families that love and care for him. :)

CultureJunky
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Lucky Henry, to have two guardians to take care of him. I've had several cats live for years with this condition, even without going on a special diet - though I used subq fluids which helped enormously. However, I just lost my Nougat to CRF only weeks after she was diagnosed, which really shocked me after the others had lived so long. As you said, it can go either way. We will all hope for a good few extra years for Henry.

Has your vet suggested Epatikin? You sprinkle it on their food and it helps bind excess phosphorus. Will you give subq fluids?

I will ask if there are any meds to sprinkle on food, thanks for that suggestion. What exactly is subq fluids?
He did have metacam which was a fluid, on the leaflet that came with it it said it was for muscular-skeletal problems, however the vet told me to stop putting the drops on his food as this particular one wasn't good for cats with kidney problems.

The anti-biotics are called Amox and have penecillin in them, twice daily. He also has two weeks worth of Fortekor, once daily. The vet didn't explain what this was for, and it didn't come with a leaflet, just in an envelope.

Lizzie
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Fortekor isn't available in the U.S. but an online search gave me this information:

"After oral administration, benazepril is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and hydrolysed to benazeprilat, a highly specific and potent inhibitor of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE). Fortekor produces significant inhibition of plasma ACE activity for more than 24 hours after a single dose in cats and dogs.

Inhibition of ACE leads to reduced conversion of inactive angiotensin I into active angiotensin II and therefore reduction in the effects mediated by angiotensin II, including vasoconstriction of both arteries and veins, retention of sodium and water by the kidney and modeling changes (including pathological cardiac hypertrophy and degenerative renal changes).

In cats with chronic renal insufficiency Fortekor reduces the protein loss in urine and reduces systemic and intraglomerular blood pressure. Fortekor increases the appetite, quality of life and survival time of the cats, particularly in advanced disease."

Fortekor is flushed out of the system mainly through the GI tract, only a little through the kidneys, making it fine for use with CRF cats. However, I think Metacam needs to go through the kidneys and that would be why the vet won't want you to use it. I don't know if your vet will think Henry needs a potassium binder, it may not be something they use in the U.K.

Subq fluids is basically water with added electrolytes which is given just under the surface of the skin, and anyone can learn to do it at home. It flushes the kidneys and I've seen dramatic reductions in BUN and Creatinine levels in my cats after using subq fluid therapy even for only a few weeks. However, as with Epatikin, it may not be a treatment that they use in the U.K.

3Catcondo
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Henry, that he can be healthy and pain free for a long time to come! Thank you for taking good care of him!

Emeraldgreen
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Prayers that Henry will feel better soon. I had a Tortie cat named Jade that had kidney failure. She was diagnosed with it at the age of 18 when she was getting a dental and the bloodwork prior to that showed she had kidney issues. She went on to live for 4 more wonderful years. At first she was on K/D and she LOVED the dry version but wasn't too keen on the wet.
After a while she didn't want any of it and the vet said to make sure she was eating, even if it wasn't low protein. So she was on regular food for the last year or so.
The biggest impact on her disease was fluids. They really gave her quality of life. Before we started, she looked alot like Henry did in that photo you posted. She was dehydrated and her fur had that dehydrated look to it.
The techs showed me how to administer the fluids and let me practice a few times at the clinic and then sent me home with a bag of fluids. I swear, it is not that hard at all once you get the hang of it and it only takes 5-15 minutes, depending on what gauge needle you use and how many cc's of fluid you are giving.
I gave Jade 100 cc's once a week and she felt better within an hour of getting it. She would race up and down the carpeted stairwell and play. It made all the difference. Cats with kidney disease drink so much but they have trouble staying hydrated so providing extra fluids helps them feel so much better. :)
Plus, it isn't expensive. One bag of fluids lasted 10 weeks for Jade.

Anikaca77
12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm afraid I don't have any advice to offer regarding kidney's but I'll say a big pray for Henry.

Take care,
Melissa

CultureJunky
01-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Thank you Emerald Green, Lizzie and Taz for all your advice and information. I will definately be asking the vet at his next appointment about extra fluids and if there is anything available over here in the UK. Even if there isn't a vetinary equivalent I will ask if there are ones I can purchase anywhere else. I have taken a lot of comfort in all you've said and am determined to give Henry the best care he can have within the limits we have. It has made me feel very positive about his future.
The vet was quite negative about it, though I suppose it's because they feel they have to prepare you for the worst.
I now feel so much better about his future and trying to keep his disease as balanced as we can.
Thank you everybody, and special smelly kisses from Henry!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/HenryCloseUp.jpg

Medusa
01-01-2009, 07:08 AM
My computer got another virus and I was w/out it for nearly 3 days so I've had a lot of catching up to do and I guess I somehow missed this update. I'm sorry to read of Henry's CRF but as Emeraldgreen and others have said, your vet/tech can show you how to administer subcutaneous fluids to Henry. My RB Puddy had CRF and I gave her subQ's for years. In the beginning I thought that I'd never be able to stick a needle in her and I was nervous at first and screwed it up a couple of times but once I got over the nervousness, all went smoothly and Puddy got used to it and even purred sometimes during it. If you use a thicker gauge needle, it may sting a little more when you first put the needle in but the treatment is over much more quickly. It can mean the difference between a 30 min. treatment and a 5 min. one plus it saves money (you don't have to depend on a vet/tech to do it) and Henry won't be stressed out from going to the vet's over and over.

Good luck w/this and know that our prayers are w/you and Henry and that he'll be w/you for years to come. Puddy lived for approximately 6 1/2 years w/CRF and went to the Bridge at age 14. The last two years of her life were pretty intense but she had many other health issues besides CRF. Keep the faythe. :)

Freedom
01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Henry is quite lucky to have both of you involved in his care.

My RB Amber had CRF, unfortunately the fluids only kept him with me for 8 months from diagnosis to PTS. But I know many cats have lived for longer. Amber refused to eat the prescription diet, which likely was a factor.

Prayers for Henry, and hugs for you and Linda.

CultureJunky
01-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Some sad news regarding darling Henry.

He went for an appointment on Friday 16th, they decided to keep him in as he was very dehydrated. He stayed Friday and Saturday and we have to pick him up today (Sunday) at around 4.00pm.
He has been on a drip and has been eating little but often. They say the fluids have helped him a great deal.
However they have decided not to give him a dental (which was to be Tuesday 20th) as his health is too bad. The toxins in his kidneys are so high and they are so bad that they don't believe he has got long anyway. They predict up to four weeks for him.
He has one bad tooth, but the rest they say are not too bad.
I am going to ask if I can buy fluids to be injected from them, whether they will let me I don't know, but I would like to help him stay as hydtrated as possible to keep his appetite up. His appetite was so low because of lack of fluids.
I have a syringe that I will try to give him water with if they say I can't have anything vetinary to help him.

So basically we have to try to make sure Henry is as comfortable as possible, and hopefully when he does go he will just go in his sleep. I really hope that he won't colapse and we will have to take him in to be euthanised. I am praying he will slip away peacefully.

Thank you everybody for your prayers for dear Henry, he is a sweet cat who did not deserve to have this disease having had such a rough life and being so young. But we have done all we can to help him. Now it is up to the heavens.

I will keep updating to let you all know how he is doing.

Kate xx

jennielynn1970
01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Poor Henry! I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that the vet will allow you to give him fluids at home. He's such a handsome boy, I hope he will have a peaceful rest of his life, being loved on by you and your neighbor.

momcat
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
This is such sad news and my heart breaks for sweet Henry. What a lucky kitty guy to know so much love and care. Prayers continue to be prayed for all of you :love: :love: :love:

CultureJunky
01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Henry is home now, he is in my neighbours how (his own house!) at the moment, he has had something to eat and settled down.
I enquired about fluids, but they don't provide that kind of thing, and said it would need to be monitored quite closely, so that wasn't an option unfortunately.
They said it's basically a matter of weeks rather than months, that's how they feel.
He has been prescribed another course of anti-biotics for his teeth problems.

I will try to get some pictures of him, and I have to admit I am secretly hoping he comes over to our house so I can look after him, as I am missing him being around even though he wasn't that involved in anything we do!
It's just trying to make his life and nice and comfortable as we can.

Killearn Kitties
01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Henry darling, we are sending all of our happy and healthy vibes to you tonight sweetheart. I hope those teeth settle down with your anti-biotics.

Purrs
Samantha, Daisy and Jessica
xxx

cassiesmom
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
prayers for sweet Henry

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that Henry will remain as comfortable as possible. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

weluvcats
01-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Kate,

I am so sorry to hear of your sweet Henry's troubles:(...Bless his sweet heart.
I hope that the antibiotics will help the problem with his teeth, however his kidney trouble poses a much more difficult problem. We lost our sweet Billy:love: last summer to kidney failure, so I can understand and sympathize so with what you are going through now. We were able to give him sub-q fluids at home for a year before he died, which made it easier to treat him for a longer period of time...I wish your vet would agree to that...Would it be possible to find another vet that might agree to allowing you to treat him with fluids at home?

In the meantime, the best you can do is what you are doing...Love him bunches, and try to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. There will come a time though, when his kidney failure will progress to a point where you will likely have to make the "decision." I know what a horrendous situation this is to be faced with...When we were at the end with our Billy, we too hoped that he would just fall asleep and pass on that way, but it never happened.

You are such a loving, kind and compassionate person for looking after Henry...He is so lucky to have you. Bless you for all that you are doing for him. It is so difficult caring for a sick animal that you love, when there is only so much that you can do for them. Please know that all of us here at Pet Talk are thinking of you and sweet Henry, and are praying for you both.:love:

Judy

Medusa
01-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Please know that my prayers are w/you and Henry. I treated my RB Puddy w/subQ's for years due to her CRF, so I know the upset that you're experiencing. I do hope that Henry can remain as comfortable as possible and that you will find some peace of mind. Keep the faythe. :)

Anikaca77
01-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Prays continued for Henry.

I'm glad he's home with you. Prays,

Melissa

momcat
01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
How is sweet Henry doing today? My prayers continue and more feel better lovies are sent for your boy :love: :love: :love: :love:

phesina
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Prayers and gentle pets for dear Henry.

jennielynn1970
01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Prayers being said for Henry. I hope he'll have a peaceful time.

(((((HUGS))))) to you.

Cataholic
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Prayers for Henry upon learning this sad news.

CultureJunky
01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Henry is doing okay at the moment. Since coming home from the vets on Sunday afternoon he has stayed in my neighbours house. He hasn't asked to go out, he's sat by the front door, but then loses interest and goes asleep again. She doesn't want to let him out as she is afraid he may die whilst he's outside, and I also wouldn't want that. I went to see him yesterday and he was sleeping on the stairs after having had some fresh haddock for his lunch (with anti-biotics mixed in)

I have to admit I am missing him, and I do wish he was with me, but naturally if he's staying in her house, I can't ask for her to let him come over, as I don't think it would be right. She feels he should be with her, and I respect that.
I am very sad about Henry, but I made a point of not letting myself get too attached to him as I knew he wasn't my cat, just a cat that wanted to come in our house, and cats are pretty whimsical and I was aware he could change any time. I feel honoured that he chose to come and be with us for so long though, but if he is happy being in his own house and just relaxing then that is fine with me, even though I miss his presence.
Obviously even when you don't try to get attached you do, and I do feel a certain love for him and affection. But as his outlook is not good it is probably a good job that I didn't ask to adopt him, as losing him would've been really hard.

Going back and forth to the vets with Henry and my neighbour (she doesn't drive so has no other way of getting there) has brought all the horrible memories of Jack's last weeks back and I have felt that wave of grief come on very strongly again, I constantly think of Jack anyway, but currently i'm feeling that horrible hollow feeling in my chest, the emptiness and despair of grief.
But I've wanted to be there for Henry's sake. I have done all I can for Henry. I don't mind helping my neighbour, but I haven't helped really for her, I've done it all for Henry even though it's been sad and painful.
I hope I've made Jack proud in helping Henry, I've done the best I can to help him and his owner.

weluvcats
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I do hope that Henry is doing okay...It sounds as though you have done all you can for him...Hopefully you can continue to keep tabs on him through your neighbor, and you can visit him at her house. I'm sure Henry appreciates and understands that you are trying to help him. At least he is safe and has a warm place to sleep, food to eat, medicine, and people who love him and who look after him. Please let us know what happens with sweet Henry...

Hugs and prayers:love:

Judy:)

CultureJunky
01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Henry passed away today at home around 10.30am.
I have put a piece about to him in 'cat memorial'. His thread is here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=150210)
I feel very sad that he is gone, and only wish he could've come into both our and my neighbours life years ago so we could have shared more time with him. I know my Jack will take care of him at the bridge.

Anikaca77
01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Henry. Bless you for helping him.