12-16-2008, 08:30 PM
You might need a tissue...:)
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/12/15/cgy-makeover-christmas.html

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-hi/cgy-home-makeover.rm

Widow's home secretly renovated by volunteers
Last Updated: Monday, December 15, 2008 | 5:12 PM MT

CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2008/12/15/cgy-daniels-family.jpg
Donalyn Daniels and her daughters recently lost husband and dad Dallas to cancer. (CBC)

A widow and her two daughters were surprised on Sunday when their Medicine Hat, Alta., bungalow was secretly made over by volunteers.

Donalyn Daniels recently lost her husband Dallas to cancer.

"During his fight with cancer he had a very, very strong faith, that kept him very strong," said relative Roxanne Willford.

For three years, local real estate agent Scott Cowan has organized a one-day, extreme makeover during the holidays for a needy family.
Volunteers worked through the day, renovating the kitchen and bathroom. Volunteers worked through the day, renovating the kitchen and bathroom. (CBC)

About $60,000 in "goods and services" from businesses, contractors and volunteers were poured into the Daniels' home on Sunday.

"There used to be a hospital bed here where we're standing, and now there's going to be Christmas trees, there's going to be new paint, there's going to be new furniture," said Cowan as the project was underway. "It's a fresh start, and that's what we're hoping for today."

When Donalyn Daniels and her daughters — 10-year-old Maria and 13-year-old Kayla — returned to their made-over home at the end of the day, Donalyn couldn't hold back her tears.

"Sorry," she said. "You just never know when emotions are gonna grab you. I only wish Dallas could have been a part of this."

Although Dallas Daniels' funeral was just a few days ago, relatives wanted to go on with the renovation without telling Donalyn and her daughters.

"The timing of this it's really hard, because we want to have a time to reflect on him and everything he means to us and the good part is that this would have been something he would have loved to have given his family," said relative Shelly Strobel.

From a local newspaper:

'Break and Enter' brings caring to widow, children Print E-mail
Advertisement
Special is a word which can be tossed about like so many snowflakes on a winter day but when Hatters put their minds to it, those seven letters have a whole new meaning. ALEX MCCUAIG
[email protected] e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Special is a word which can be tossed about like so many snowflakes on a winter day but when Hatters put their minds to it, those seven letters have a whole new meaning.
All day Sunday contractors, business owners and volunteers crowded Ross Glen Way with their trucks loaded with material and tools to redecorate a family's home. A family whose patriarch, Dallas Daniels, died one week ago after a battle against cancer, leaving a wife and two bright young daughters.
His wife, Donalyn, and their daughters Maria, 10 and Kayla, 13, were this year's recipients of the Break and Enter Christmas sponsored by Atlas Realty and Power 93.7.
The idea is simple enough. A deserving family leaves the home early in the morning not to return until that evening, unaware of what will await them when they come home.
Plumbers, carpenters, cabinet makers from across the city descend on the house to breathe new life into the home, bring Christmas presents from businesses across the Hat and top it off with a decorated tree.
The Daniels’ home was a scene of good-natured chaos for most of the day, and the mood became a little nervous and a little anxious as the hours went by. But by 7 p.m., a new kitchen, living room and bathroom — complete with upgraded appliances and furniture awaited the family.
"Wow, this is unreal," said Donalyn after taking a tour of the renovated home. "I only wish Dallas could have been part of this."
Of the close to 100 friends, family and ordinary Hatters who just wanted to help, few were without a tear.
"I'm looking forward to making many more memories here," Donalyn told those gathered around her.
Head sponsor for the fundraiser, Scott Cowan of Atlas Realty, said the idea to hold this event in Medicine Hat came when he found his wife tearing up when they were on a trip to San Diego.
"I walked into the hotel room and I thought, what did I do now. She said to listen to the radio and they were doing the same thing in San Diego and I thought we could do it here," he said.
Cowan said the idea of the Break and Enter Christmas is to find a family that has come upon a desperate situation.
"I believe this family was the perfect choice. It's like the old barn raising. People just need a reason to come out and help. It's about the love of Christmas."
Cowan estimates that at least $60,000 has gone into the project from furniture stores, building supply outfits and gift donations from individuals.
"This is Medicine Hat saying to one family, we love you, we care about you, we grieve with your loss and we are going to do something about it."
Donalyn's sister, Shelley Strobel, said the past week has been tough with Dallas' funeral having been held just two days prior to the renovation on Sunday.
"She has been taking care of her husband for the last four months as he battled cancer. She is a very strong lady," she said.
"It is going to be a hard Christmas because it will be the first without her husband. I don't know how much it is going to feel like Christmas but this being done it will be somewhat overwhelming and very good."

blue
12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
That is FAWSOME!! Hopefully the initial taxes where taken care of as well.

Catty1
12-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I think they already lived there, blue - it's just the major makeover that was planned.

The video clip opens with RealPlayer (there's another for Quicktime if preferred), and is worth a watch.

blue
12-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Around here the estimated $60k worth of improvements would be seen as a gift and thus be taxed, it would be hard for the group to cover the increased property taxes from the improvements to the home.

Catty1
12-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Seeing as it's a realtor that does this once a year, I would imagine he has some way of doing it that won't hurt the family.

I wonder if this would qualify as 'redecorating', since the structure of the house itself wasn't changed. Carpets, paint, furniture.

Interesting point.

blue
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Im gonna assume the group took it into account seeing how its been done before.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Medusa
12-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Nice story all around whether at Christmas time or any time of the year. Renews my faith in humanity.

Laura's Babies
12-17-2008, 07:00 AM
You all know what happened to my son Eddie. He was a fixer upper until his accident in 2005 and he was the one who fixed everything around the house that needed fixing. Since the sccident, he isn't able to use his hands like he use to.

His wife came home one day from being in town all day to find their old roof on the ground and a bunch of people on the roof, replacing their old wore out roof. Her Dad had seen they needed a new roof and he and Eddie had secretly arranged to set up a group of men from their church to come help. (her Dad lives in Colorado, they live in Virginia) Her Dad paid for all the material. I would have LOVED to have been a part of that roof make over for them but it was so secrete, that nobody but Eddie knew and he only knew because they needed more men to help and he was the one who had to line the help up. Even some of their neighbors that were not asked to help, came and helped.

Regina said it was such a shock to come home and see all those people on top of her house and their old roof on the ground. She immediately turned around and left, went to the grocery store and bought stuff to feed all those people. She said "I had all those people on my roof, that I didn't know was coming and I had NOTHING to feed them! The least I could do was feed them!"

People have rallied around and done so much for them since Eddies accident that it has completely restored my faith in humans. People WANT to help and are just waiting for someone to show them how.

Making over this families home was a beautiful gift of love that they will never forget and sure showed them how loved they are. I know personally, how a gift like that touches your heart and shows you, there is a God!

Jupiter
12-18-2008, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=Catty1;2101908]I think they already lived there, blue - it's just the major makeover that was planned.

The family has lived there for many years. Dallas, his Friends and family have done some renovation of the house over the years, including a new roof this past summer even while Dallas had and knew he had terminal cancer. He was looking toward the future and taking care of his wife and children after he left.
We miss you Dallas

Catty1
12-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Jupiter - how wonderful for you to post. I don't know how you found us!

From all reports I read, it sounds like Dallas's family had great friends, relatives and just plain good people show up.

My deepest condolences on your loss, on everyone's.

I hope this Christmas has been made a bit brighter...but I know it won't be easy.

God Bless the Angels in Dallas's life.:love:

Jupiter
12-19-2008, 05:05 AM
I found this by searching Google for Dallas.
Your initial post came up near the top.
BTW, my name is Mat, Jupiter is an alias I often use online.
My family does not have any pets so I really have no need here normally.
Dallas had a large dog "Buddy" that died a few years ago, about 15-18 years old.
Of course, Buddy was a long tome loyal family friend.
Buddy would never hurt anyone.
However, long ago, when my oldest girl was 1 or 2, we visited Dallas and Donalyn (beore their girls). Buddy was there his usual playful self.
My daghter had fun seeing this creature new to her. buddy turned around and his tail knocked my daughter over. Not that the tail was that big, just the surprise to her of the tail hitting her.
There, a dog story, part of my memories of Dallas and a reason to post here.
Thank you for all your kind words.