PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when...

sparks19
12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
You found out there was no Santa Claus? (if you believed in him at all)

Believe it or not... I was in Grade 4 lol. I held onto the Santa thing for a LONG time lol.

I found out because Christmas eve when my mom thought I was asleep she started arranging my presents and I came out of my room to go to the bathroom and saw her. she saw me but I acted like I didn't notice. I put on the act like my eyes were half closed and I rubbed them all the way to the bathroom and all the way back to my room. I wasn't upset or anything but I dind't want to ruin it for my mom LOL. I didn't want to hurt her feelings by coming out and catching her so I acted like I didn't see anything.

She knew I did though lol

Ginger's Mom
12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I was four years old when I told my Mom that I didn't believe Santa Claus is real. The first thing she said to me is don't tell your sister (who is three years older than me ;) ), and she then told me the "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" story, which I loved. It wasn't really Santa that caused me to doubt, it was the Easter Bunny, whom I just could not believe in. So when Christmas came around I just sort of asked if it was the same thing with Santa.

Husky_mom
12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
You found out there was no Santa Claus?

WHAT??!!.. what do you mean thereīs no Santa!!!!.... :( :(

;)

I actually had a nice time still.. hehe... yeah you read right.. still..

I knew just about when going on 6th grade... but I kept going on for my sis (4yrs apart)... then we both kept going for my lil bro (12 yrs apart from me)... and now we still keep going for my kid ... hehe... fun isnīt it.. and we got a lil something every year... not as much as when we were kids but still to "preserve" the believeing... but noting we didnīt got as much as we were growing and once we were grown ups the "task" was handed over to parents :p

caseysmom
12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't remember myself but I know my kids got suspicious when santa used the same wrapping paper that I did, they asked my husband and he was honest with them.

I remember one year santa got me some kind of guitar I wanted and I guess according to my mom I threw a fit and started saying " I didn't want a ukelele I wanted a yaya" you know I grew up during the beetles:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I only found out when I was 11 years old:eek::o! Some kids at school told me that there was NO Santa. I reacted saying:"Hey you silly, I got a new schoolback, white boots with lace, chocolate figurines and orangies!! There is NO way my parents would buy me THAT much!!"
When I came home I told it all to my mom. I was so chocked when she said: "it is true, we are buying the presents, and babies also do NOT come out of :eek::eek:cabbages !!"
I was devastated!

Later that day I went back to her and asked in tears if Little Jezus didn't exist too then. Luckily that was a de truth:D

Alysser
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I think I was in 4th grade. My mom was sad when me and my sister(2 years older then me) stopped believeing in Santa lol. She still writes from santa on one present every year LOL. I guess she misses it. Although I don't believe in him I don't diminish it in front of little kids, I have some friends who do that and I find it rude and a bit selfish. They shouldn't ruin it for a little kid.

Does Hannah like Santa? I know some babies and toddlers who are scared of him LOL.

LOL, I was always kinda of freaked out by the story of some fat guy coming into my house and setting presents under the tree. No fat guy can fit down my chimney, I don't exactly have one and I don't have a fire place. I never believed in the tooth fairy or easter bunny either, the easter bunny probably scared me the most. My mom told me I cried one year because she said she just saw a giant bunny pass the window.

Husky_mom
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
actually i have a nice story that occured just this sunday....

we were at my parents house and having a family reunion... haha... this was supposedly to decide how we were going to organize the celebration... in whoīs house, what food, etc...

so then we hear a bell ringing... an actual bell.. my kid comes from teh living room to the kitchen and yells "Itīs Santa!!"... the bell ringed closer and they a loud knock on the door... I told him no to open... and went to get the door myself

to my surprise... IT WAS SANTA!!....

he came inside and gave one of my cousins a present and the kids bags of candies... the kids were all eagerly asking toys for Chistmas and we all took pics with him...

when he left one of my cousins daughter said... "he was the real one... he had red cheeks"...

then her mom told her... remember when we were on our way we saw trees with snow... he might have left that as a trace of his way here....

and they all were so certain that was true... ;) :D

*my cousins boyfriend had him "rented" to deliver his present to her and as he knew we were gathering he also included candy for the kids... wasnīt that sweet!!

Husky_mom
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
and babies also do NOT come out of :eek::eek:cabbages !!"
I was devastated!

that was hilarious and so sweet.....

I_luv_rusty
12-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I actually don't remember. But it was before 5th grade, I think.

My mom never admitted to "there being no santa" till like 7th or 8th grade haha. My moms friend's kids still believed in Santa till the 8th grade, and when their mom told them they cried.

My mom also used the same wrapping paper for our gifts from them as to santa's gifts like caseymom said. But, my mom would tell us that she'd have to help santa wrap the presents haha. :p

Daisy and Delilah
12-15-2008, 04:43 PM
I was in 4th grade. I learned alot that year.:eek: I was on the school playground at recess and some big mouth kid told everybody there was no Santa Claus. I was so upset. I went home and asked my Mom. She still hasn't admitted that there is no Santa.:D

sparks19
12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Hannah likes Santa :) We had her picture taken with him when my dad was here visiting just after Thansgiving. I really wasn't sure how she was going to react since she wasn't feeling 100% and was kind of tired. But I carried her up there... santa put out his arms for her and sat her on his knee and she just looked at him in awe. The picture I have she actually isn't smiling but that's only because we were trying everything to get her to look at the camera and stop staring at Santa lol so in the picture she has a "HUH" expression on her face lol She liked him though and waved bye bye to him when we took her off his lap lol.

I have to get Brian to scan our pic but here is the online picture... forgive the big "PROOF" written across it lol
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sparks1919/2nd%20set%20of%20pics/3rd%20set%20of%20pics/4th%20set%20of%20pics/santaandhannah-1.jpg

I have always been really into the whole santa thing. even now... I love Santa movies and stories and seeing kids getting their picture with him at the mall always makes me smile.

So while the santa who comes down your chimney and leaves presents doesn't exsist... I do believe in the SPIRIT of Santa :)

Husky mom that is a great story. What a nice surprise for the kids

I find it funny now that I was too scared to have my picture taken with Santa but I had NO issue witht he idea of him coming into my house while I slept at night lol.

My mom was also really into Santa stuff. she had a huge collection of everything Santa... even made a life size plastic canvas santa. Maybe that's why I didn't want to tell her that I knew that she was the one that put the presents out.

maya....I too was devestated to find out where babies REALLY came from ;) lol

Freedom
12-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't remember. I know I "knew" long before I admitted to anyone that I knew it was mom and dad. We kept it up for my brother, who is 8 years younger than me. Mum always used different paper for the pressies from Santa and the ones from everyone else. It was quite complicated at times, once I started helping her!

I was never too keen on sitting with Santa, but having him come down the chimney and in my house . . . goodness I never thought ot being afraid of that until reading this thread!

sparks19
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I never even THOUGHT of the whole "same wrapping paper" thing lol

glad I read this thread before Hannah got old enough to figure that out :p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't remember how old I was when I found out, but I remember it was because I saw that BOTH of my parents had written the "From Santa" gift tags... they have VERY different handwriting, and I was old enough to recognize it as my parents handwriting, =]

Casper
12-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Mum never let us buy into the whole "santa" thing. She now admits that she didn't like the idea of some strange man taking credit for all the shopping and thought that went into our presents. :-D

prechrswife
12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I was in the third grade. I found out at school, and then went home and asked my mom. I kept pretending at home for awhile, though, because my sister was 5 years younger than me.

CountryWolf07
12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I was probably in 3rd or 4th grade... when I was 10-11 years old.

Karen
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't remember, but I didn't let on, so Lady's Human could keep believing for longer, as he's younger than me. I understood that it was the spirit of the thought that made it special, and still do!

K9karen
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Huh? Whay'd ya mean there's NO SANTA??????:(

Karen
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Huh? Whay'd ya mean there's NO SANTA??????:(

Don't let anyone tell you that, Karen - there IS a Santa, I promise!

kitten645
12-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Funny...my friend has a third grader that found "stocking" presents under her bed. He was devastated but told his mom that he STILL believed in Santa..Just in case...he wanted to hedge his bets and make sure he didn't end up empty handed! LOL!

Taz_Zoee
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
LOL, that's funny Claudia!

I don't remember when I found out either. But I have an older brother and sister so I'm sure they told me at some point.
One year we (for some reason) had Christmas on Christmas Eve. And my parents said they were going to get Santa to come early. We had to stay in another room with knit ski hats pulled down over our faces (don't worry we could breathe). But what my parents didn't know was that I could see through it. So I watched them carry presents into the front room. LOL Oh well. It was still a good Xmas. :D

Twisterdog
12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus. I'm sure I did as a very young child, but I don't have a memory of it.

I was a practical, analytical child and I'm sure I quit buying the flying reindeer thing at quite a young age. LOL

slick
12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
There is a Santa! There is! I just know there's a Santa! Don't say that! Santa lives in the North Pole with elves and all the reindeer and he's going to come to my place in exactly 9 more sleeps!!!!

Suki Wingy
12-16-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't remember myself but I know my kids got suspicious when santa used the same wrapping paper that I did, they asked my husband and he was honest with them.

Same for me.
My parents have a "Santa" handwriting that they use to write on the tags, and special tags different from the ones from them. Santa used one wrapping paper one year and then I saw it in my house the some time later, and then about three years later my parents used it to wrap gifts from them. I think I was about 9 but I'm the oldest so we don't say anything. Once, I went to the store to buy stocking candy on Christmas eve, and that was a bad idea. I really like to be surprised on that kind of stuff.

Zippy
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM
I think in 3rd grade.After I stopped believing in Santa I desided the Easter Bunny was fake too.

Lillycat
12-16-2008, 04:09 AM
I still believe.......

RipplingWaves55
12-16-2008, 05:53 AM
I never believed in Santa, nor the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny. My mom never talked me into Santa or anything. :rolleyes: I never, evvvvvvvver believed in Santa or any other non-existent person. When I was smart enough to think I knew that Santa wasn't real. My mom never wrote the gifts 'from santa' but Christmas is still my favorite time of year.

I thought it was stupid that some fat guy in a red & white suit would come down my chimney (how can he fit anyway....:rolleyes:) and put the presents under my tree & leave on a sleigh, with reindeer flying and pulling him along... :)

Marigold2
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
OH course there is a Santa, only he will be coming to my house in Jan for that is when our son is coming home. I am always going to believe in Santa. After all he was a real person back in the day
There is a Santa! There is! I just know there's a Santa! Don't say that! Santa lives in the North Pole with elves and all the reindeer and he's going to come to my place in exactly 9 more sleeps!!!!

sparks19
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM
The Spirit of Santa truly does exsist. I believe that :)

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

carole
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I was about eight years old, my best friend at school told me, i would not believe her, and went home and asked my parents, they told me the truth.:)

GILL
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I still believe.
The person may not be physical, but if you
Keep kindness in your hart.
Enjoy the people around you.
Treat others with kindness.
Give want you can.
He lives.

Husky_mom
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
I never ever have had a fireplace/chimney.... EVER.... and how did Santa came to my house you wonder??.... he turned into a spirit form (aka vaporized) and came under the door... yeah and I believed that...

I know it might not be fair to parents that Santa takes credit if not all at least for the best presents... but believe me, now looking back, I cherish even more the Santa presents as I know the troubles my parents had to do for us not to know...

stay awake late until we slept, when we didnīt wanted to.... buying stuff and keeping it out of sight from curious kids.... in most your cases, wrapping issues LOL..

we never had wrapped presents.. a lil easier on the parents ;)... I still wonder where did they stashed them for us not to see.... some where quite big for keeping them out of sight...hmm....

on easter my mom took the challenge of hiding the candy from us but leaving powder pawprints.... yeah baby powder pawprints all over the house...awww.... and a card with our initial made out of pawprints... so cute!!

beeniesmom
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Oooh, I think I was 7. I went in my parents room to get something out of thier closet and low and behold, on the top shelf were presents: from SANTA. I was a little upset but didn't say anything because I didn't want to spoil it for my sister who was 4.

mustlovedogs
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Oooh, I think I was 7.

I think I was 7, too. I remember the other kids at school arguing about it so I went home and asked my parents, and they told me the truth. :)

Nomilynn
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I was 11.. I remember asking my mom point blank and she told me the truth.

However.. I still listen really carefully every Christmas Eve.. just in case.. ;)