PDA

View Full Version : I Caught Ashley Peeing *Update* 2/19/09 She Tried to PEEING AGAIN I Caught Her Again!

Anikaca77
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Ashley my 4-year old torte peed on my front door this morning.

We've been dealing with some pee spots around the house and she was one of the first ones we tested although it took forever it seemed. The first pee sample we gave the vets contained a lot of crystals and I kept thinking it was Claudia but we figured we should test Ashley's as well and her pee came out just fine.

Claudia on the other hand matched the pee we found in the kitchen. We've also been having pee show up in the tub which I don't mind that much as long as it stays in the tub.

But someone did pee on our fish tank stand which is wood but I managed to clean that pretty well.

We knew someone was peeing in the corner of the door because it smelled but we tried to clean it up as best as possible. I even went and got that Urine Gone stuff and used my husband's black light on the spot and didn't see anything until today.

This morning I was sitting on the couch and Ashley was prancing near the front door and I thought that was a little odd behavior and sure enough...she peed right against the same spot I've scrubbed before.

So I called the vets because of Claudia last week (she's still peeing in the kitchen although....but it could now be Ashley but the pee from before matched Claudia's so....we'll see...although we don't know who is peeing in the bathtub but at least we know who is peeing on the door way.

Ashley has a vet appointment tomorrow at 3:15 pm to get checked out and see what's up with her. I don't know which to hope for that they find something or hope that this is behavior and we can fix it.

Melissa

catmandu
12-15-2008, 04:56 PM
I HOPE ITS NOTHING SERIOUS, AND THAT YOUE WHITE COATS WILL BE ABLE TO CLEAR THAT UP, AS CYRSTALS ARE NO FUN FOR ANYONE.
SOMEONE HAS BEEN POOING OUTSIDE THE BOX, AND I AHVE A FEELING IT MAY BE MICHAEL THE DREAM, AS HIS VISIONS CLOUDY, AND HE MIGHT BE POOING IN THE LITTER THAN SCTAPPY 2 THE SENSATIONAL AND THE LITTLE ORANGE LION MIQUELITO KICK OUT.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1618.jpg
A LITTLE SHORT, AM I DAD:eek::eek:
SORRY ABOUT THAT CHIEF!!!:D:D:D

kb2yjx
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Ditto to what catmandu said!!! This out of box urination is so frustrating!!!

Medusa
12-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh boy, that's no fun for anyone, especially Ashley if she's sick. If it's behavioral, though, it's quickly fixable. Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of things as soon as possible.

Anikaca77
12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Well today's the day to find out if it's behavorial or not. My husband thinks it is and if it is ...I don't know hopefully they'll tell me how to fix it.

Anikaca77
12-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Well it's behavorial....the vet said that Ashley looks great, her skin is great, and overall she didn't feel anything...so now we are going to try those Feliway plugins and the vet did suggest putting Ashley in the bathroom or a separate room which is our bathroom for a week so then if the pee stops in the kitchen then we know who's doing it....I hope the plugins will help...

We are going to be monitoring the chasing around the house as well, I think that might have something to do with it and I think I'm going to invest in take Ashley for some more car rides since gas prices have gone down and that might help her by getting out of the house and having some quality time with me and her...she loves car rides...I sorta trained her to just ride in the car when she was just a baby, I'd take her for a car ride usually twice a week and I'd just hold her and she loved it...so now when we go to the vets I just put a harness around her and put a leash on her as well and carry her to the vets.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
melissa

krazyaboutkatz
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this.:( When both Storm and Starr started peeing outside of the box it was also behavioral. My vet recommended Cat Attract Litter by Dr. Elsey which you can buy at Petsmart. I just bought 2 bags of it and put some on top of the old litter that I used and it worked out great. I also added more litter boxes in different locations. You should also get a good enzyme cleaner to remove the urine smell.

When you buy the feliway plugins you may also want to buy some of the spray too and spray the area's where the peeing has occurred. If all else fails you may want to try putting Ashley on medication like prozac, clomicalm, or something similar. Good luck.:)

Here's a great link with a lot of information about litter box problems: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm.

kb2yjx
12-19-2008, 08:16 AM
I also was going to suggest Prozac for the out of box experiences you are having with Ashley. We used the transdermal with Nicholas, the pill upset his stomach. Hoping for the best!!!

Anikaca77
12-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I was reading up on this behavorial thing and I saw that someone said that you can put alumin foil (sp) on the spot after cleaning it and the cats won't like the sound of it so it will make them stop peeing the spot. So far this week we haven't had any pee in the kitchen or bathtub since I took Ashely to the vets.

So I'm going to try to get her out of the house more, even if it's only for 15 mins but just enough for a ride and maybe this will make her happy.

Thank you all for your suggestions,
Melissa

Anikaca77
12-28-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm so angry right now. I was trying to sleep and I heard Ashley having one of her fits..someone must of been bothering her and sure enough it was that Sebastian...I could kick his butt!! I won't but I could at this point. I was out their with Ashley trying to let her eat and I happened to notice her sniffing at a spot on the wall and though maybe she peed on it and well sure enough I saw pee right in front of my microwave!!!!

I was so ticked off!!!

Right now I have her in the bathroom with food and water...just to let her calm down and get away from the other cats...

I have placed an order for those feliway plug ins..but I don't know if that will be the trick or not...

So it was either Sebastian or her and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Sebastian peeing on the counter.

I'm just so ticked off right now. Before it was on my carpet and kitchen floor now she's taking it to the food counters!! That's just so gross. I know she's pissed off at me and Sebastian and these other one's but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. I won't give her up for adoption because I've had her since she was a baby but I can't have this not since I rent....

I'm just so mad right now. I'm going to try to get some rest but man I'm not sure what else I can do for her and I don't want her this angry either to just be peeing on the counter tops now.

We noticed some other yellow stuff yesterday evening and I was really hoping that my husband spilled something and he just didn't clean it up but no I now know it was pee.

Grrr.....I just feel bad for her so I'm going to go give her a blanket now and hopefully she'll sleep well in their...

Melissa

Medusa
12-28-2008, 07:19 AM
I know it must seem as though I'm on continuous loop but I really believe that Clomicalm is the answer. As long as you get the dosage right (as little as possible) and give it to them before bed, it has a 24 hour residual effect and they won't be drowsy during the day and it won't affect their personalities. When I was in the middle of pee wars years ago, Boo would pee on the countertop and even once peed on the butter that I had left out. He never peed until I brought Specs in; Specs started the war. Then two others joined in and BAM! I was living in a giant litter box.

Like you, I was renting at the time and when I moved out, it cost me $900 to have the house professionally cleaned and to have the carpets steam cleaned. So do yourself a favor and give Clomicalm a try. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that comes into my home says that they can't believe that I have any cats at all. They can't smell anything. I've become so insane about the smell that I'd know if my cats were peeing again. It's been three years since I started my pee cats on Clomicalm and there have been no incidents. It'll save your sanity, your money and your home. Good luck, Melissa. I know how frustrating it can be and how you can have bad feelings about the cats that you so dearly love. :)

Emeraldgreen
12-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Didn't you guys recently add a new cat to your household? I think it was a kitty with one eye? I'm wondering if this is what is triggering this response from Ashley. She might be a bit jealous and maybe those car rides might really help. And/or lots of attention for Ashley to remind her she is still your girl. :)

momcat
12-28-2008, 01:43 PM
How sad. More than anything I wish I knew what to say to ease your mind and make this problem go away. Right now all I can offer you is my support and prayers for a solution that will work well for everyone! Please keep us updated? Your PT friends care :love: :love: :love:

cassiesmom
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Fingers crossed that Ashley and her CatMom can solve the problem.

Anikaca77
12-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Well today I finally decided that I would put foil down and see what happens. Just about 2 weeks ago I got a new rug, really cheap one from Walmart for less than $3.00 and put it by the front door today I went to check it, it had pee on it...I have to say though I haven't checked it since I put it down so that rug was tossed and now I have foil around my house...one in front of the microwave since that's been her new spot...the other one by the front door taped up of course and I tried to put one in front of the oven since that's another good spot for her and sure enough Sophia (yes the new one eyed one) decided to play with the foil and not leave it along instead she wanted to drag it around the house....so that's removed for now.

I purchased some feliaway plug ins from Ebay so hopefully that will help her and taking her for some more car rides so I'm hoping that will help.

Thank you all for your help...sorry about ranting this morning I was just so ticked that it was on my counter....of all the places..

Thanks,
Melissa

Anikaca77
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Well now their is pee on my containers I had out.

What am I supposed to do!

I'm getting so mad.....I finally just got the feliway but this better help fast....she's peeing all over....it's getting to the point...where I'm thinking rehoming her might be best....but I hate to do that...as well.

Catty1
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
MEDICATION. This has been suggested a few times. Try it!

The right med and right dose will not make her wobbly, and will likely stop the behaviour.

Medusa has mentioned Clomicalm.

JUST TRY IT. Or YOU will have to be on tranquilizers. ;)

Medusa
01-05-2009, 02:33 PM
MEDICATION. This has been suggested a few times. Try it!

The right med and right dose will not make her wobbly, and will likely stop the behaviour.

Medusa has mentioned Clomicalm.

JUST TRY IT. Or YOU will have to be on tranquilizers. ;)

Amen! I understand not wanting to medicate our cats but when it gets to this point, it's better than having to rehome them unless you want to live in a giant litter box. I have my pee cats tested once a year and they've had no side effects or medical issues whatsoever from Clomicalm and the peeing stopped almost immediately. If you don't want to try that, then try the kitty Prozac. I hear it works well, too. Feliway did not work for my cats but all cats are different just as humans are. A med that works for me may not work for someone else.

krazyaboutkatz
01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems.:( Have you tried the Cat Attract Litter yet? This worked wonders when both Storm and Starr were peeing outside of the box.

Both of them are also now on 1/4 of a 10mg tablet of the generic form of Prozac which is Fluoxetine HCL. They're on it to help them be less stressed out and calmer. So far so good. Starr has very few poop accidents now and Storm rarely tries to chase his siblings around and act aggressive towards them.

I had this prescription filled at Costco which is similar to a Sam's club and I got 60 tablets for a little over $7.00. I use a pill splitter to cut them up. Since they taste nasty, I've been putting them in chicken flavored pill pockets which I also cut up into 4 pieces first. They now love taking this medicine.:) I sure hope that you'll find something that'll work for you quickly. Good luck.:)

Anikaca77
01-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Well I decided before I would medicate Ashley that I would give Feliway a try.

It worked for about 3 weeks and now it's back again. I replaced the filter and it's still happening. I even caught Ashley the other night while I was in living room back up to the corner getting ready to spray. I yelled at her to stop it and she did but I can't take this much more.

Their is pee out in the kitchen more than before. I called the vets today to see what more I can do for her and they said that since it's behavorial their is nothing they can do.

I said no pills? She said no. I didn't talk with the vet since she is out right now but I said ok. So I'm going to try my old vet and see if she gives anything.

Catty1
01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Definitely check with your old vet! JustineNYC had to go to another vet - her first one had never HEARD of one med....

Hang in there!

kb2yjx
01-30-2009, 04:17 PM
This is such a frustrating problem, then to have a vet tell you NO pills!!! I would definitely find another vet!!! We had success with transdermal Prozac when Nicholas was spraying!

Medusa
01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Your vet needs to get w/the program. There are several meds that you can safely give a pee cat. My local vet is out of the loop, too, though. She didn't even know what the antibiotic Convenia is and when I told her that my other vet gave Coco Puff an injection of it and that it lasts for two weeks, her face went blank. Vets need to continually take classes and courses, etc. to keep up w/the newest meds, procedures, etc. I'll say it again: Clomicalm.

lvpets2002
01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
:o What is it with our babies now days with the peeing issue.. My Rastus is going thru this now..

Anikaca77
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok...maybe I'm reading too much into this or something but this morning I filled up everyones water dishes like I do every morning and Ashley was drinking out of this one bowl and she kept drinking and drinking and drinking...she finished a 1/2 of the small bowl in one sitting.

I frankly thinks that a little odd and no wonder she's so hydrated at the vets because she's drinking so much.

So I called the vets and even though the vet said that she won't give meds (actually I do need to correct that it was a vet tech that said they don't give out meds) I'm going to ask her about the peeing on the counters. The only bad thing is a blood test can run from $45-$99 but they said I could write out multiply checks if I need to so I will probably have to do that.

I hate to go back to the vets that said they won't give her any pills for the urine outside the box since it's behavorial but they are the only place that will allow me to post date my checks if I have too.

Ashley will be going to the vets at 6 p.m. on Thursday afternoon. I'm going to take in some information on this pill Mary keeps suggesting and see what the vet thinks. I hate to medicate Ashley but she left pee on my counter top again and it's where we put food and stuff so I just can't keep having that. We tired putting duck tape up their and that stopped her for a while from getting up on the counter tops and spraying but I hate to keep putting duck tape on top my counter tops just to keep Ashley from spraying.

Prays would be appreciate.

Thank you,
Melissa

krazyaboutkatz
02-05-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems.:( Did you ever have a urinalysis done on her yet? That's a lot less expensive than a blood test. I hope that the vet will be able to help you this time. Good luck.:)

Anikaca77
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Yes, I did have her pee tested because we had to figure out who was peeing in the kitchen (because the one that did had a lot of crystals in her pee) and we put Ashley in the bathroom for a full day and night and then she was still in their the next day and wouldn't pee in the litter box with corn in it (the vet said that's an easy way to get cats to pee and to collect their pee) so when I got off work I left her out and watched her like a hawk and I had the pee container handy as well and sure enough she got into one of our regular litter boxes and I was able to lift up her tail as she was peeing and I got some pee in the cup. So I took that pee to the vets right away and her pee tested normal, nothing was wrong with it.

It turned out it was Claudia who was peeing in the kitchen but Ashley has been marking around now and she's started once again doing it on my counter tops, as well as by the front door.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems.:( Did you ever have a urinalysis done on her yet? That's a lot less expensive than a blood test. I hope that the vet will be able to help you this time. Good luck.:)

Anikaca77
02-06-2009, 08:46 AM
As many of you know Ashley was taken to the vets last night for her appt. and we found out she did gain some weight which I'm glad about she's now 9.1 lbs.

They tested her blood because they said they need to check it before she gets put on Meds and her blood tests all came back and they were all fine so she's just a drinker.

The vet gave her some valium to take and we'll see if that helps.

I just hope it doesn't effect her liver so I may end up doing another blood test just to make sure after a week or two her levels are not affected.

That way I'll feel more confident especially if the meds help her. It was odd last night though because about an hour after I gave her the pill I was lying in bed and she actually playfully attacked my foot under the covers.

Which she has never done before so I'm not sure if it's the meds making her funny or what but we'll see.

It was just very odd to see her doing that.

Prays would still be great.

Thanks,
Melissa

phesina
02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Prayers for dear Ashley and you.

Anikaca77
02-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Well Ashley has been on her meds and I thought things were going great, there was no pee on the counter tops and I just got done cleaning the house and it's 8:36 p.m. right now and I was grabbing some papers and Ashley goes right up to that spot and lifts her tail as if she is going to pee and she almost started and I yelled NO

I'm so pissed...I know today I missed the pill but come on 1 day and she's going to do this.

It smells like pee again so now I'm going to have to clean the spot and my back is killing me from the cleaning the house.

I'm calling the vets in the morning but she's going to be getting a pill now.

I'm just so ticked.

Melissa

Catty1
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
That pill might be a short-acting medication, and a lower dose (which is good).

Maybe a time-release would be better?

Hey, if a woman misses a Pill, she can get pregnant! ;)

Hope all is well soon - the medication is working, just gotta keep it in her system somehow.

Prayers for you and Ashley!:love:

Medusa
02-19-2009, 08:23 PM
It's the same w/Clomicalm; you can't miss a dose. You've got to be diligent w/giving her the meds faithfully.

orangemm
02-20-2009, 04:43 AM
...and we all know what fun it is to medicate a CAT!:rolleyes:

Medusa
02-20-2009, 05:11 AM
Clomicalm is administered at night before bed, so my Fur Posse knows to line up when I say "Medicine time!". Everyone gets their meds before bed, pee cats included. No, they don't love taking meds but they do love the Greenie treat that I give them afterwards. If you train Ashley in that way, it'll become routine for both of you. :)

katladyd
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
One of my cats is on amitryptiline and he has no more peeing problems. You can't skip a day, believe me. He has gotten to the point where he expects the pill every night and is quite nice about it. He used to attack me until I bled, but I persisted and now he is so much better. He no longer pees out of the box or gets obstructed. So try meds, they can help sooo much.