PDA

View Full Version : Almost lost Keva today

wolf_Q
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
We went up the canyon to take some pictures in the snow. When I had them sitting and staying for the photos I switched their regular collars to the jingle collars (the ones I used for the Christmas photos posted recently)...I wouldn't do that for like a walk or something, but I was right there sitting down with them just to take the photos. I took photos with the same collars last year. Well when I stood up the jingle collar slipped off of Keva's neck. I noticed before she did, I tried to call her to me before she realized it.....but I was too late, she took off. We were right in front of a semi-frozen lake. She headed onto the lake...I could see it happening...her getting out in the middle, falling through...me not being able to save her.......oh lord....luckily, she did fall through, but right at the edge, she jumped back out and that was enough to stop her from continuing across the lake.

Unfortunately it was not enough to stop her from running off. She was wearing no collar, harness, or anything, as the collar had just slipped off. This pretty much ranks as one of the worst experiences of my life. At least when she got loose hiking she was wearing a collar and a harness and the only real place for her to go was down the trail. Today she had the entire canyon to explore, and she did! I of course ran after her screaming like an idiot, with Nebo and Skya and my camera in my hand. I was hoping the jingle collars wouldn't pull off of them too but theirs were tighter and I didn't have time to go switch back. I tried the stopping and offering her things approach (I didn't have anything to offer...tried a stick, snowball, and told her I had treats...she isn't dumb enough to fall for that).

She's such a little brat, she'd bolt as fast as she could run...stop and sniff around a bit to wait for me to catch up, then bolt again. She was having so much fun! :rolleyes: I lost sight of her for a while, I was about ready to fall down in the snow and start bawling at that point. I don't know how long I chased her, all I knew is that I was going to keep chasing her until I found her, I would have stayed up there all night if I had to. Finally we came fairly close to her, and Nebo play bowed to her (GOOD BOY!!) and she came over to play with him and I was able to grab her. She didn't try to get away, I think she realized her adventures were over. Now I feel awful, it was freezing up there, the combination of running and yelling in the cold has made my lungs hurt...I had avoided being sick so far when everyone around me has been sick, but I think that luck has changed, I've been coughing ever since. Oh well, I'm just so glad I was able to catch her! That took a few years off my life. :o

For the record, she knows the command "come." When Skya was in puppy class I practiced it with all three of them almost every day. But she's a husky, she was in the snow, in the mountains, and no amount of training was going to convince her to change her mind, she's a very independent thinking dog. She will never again be outside the house without her regular collar on as tight as it can go.

P.S. Is 2008 over yet?

Freedom
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Keva, do NOT tease mommy like that! Not ever!

Oh goodness, my heart started racing as I was reading, wondering what mischief she would get into while off romping. Glad her splash was near the edge of the water and she could get herself out!

Maybe take a baggie of special treats in your pocket in future? I take small bits of cut up hot dog and those are ONLY for training class and walks, they dont' get hot dogs bits at home or training in the back yard. So it is really special. I mean, dogs WILL be dogs and take a romp if there is ANY chance of freedom.

Have some tea with honey it in, and I pray you recover over night with no lingering cold or sickness! Hope you didn't gain any grey hairs over this!

chocolatepuppy
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh how scary Amy! Thank goodness you got her back safely.

wolf_Q
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I did have a bag of treats...but they were left along with the other collars when I ran off after her. Honestly I don't think the treats would have been enough to get her to come anyway, she was having WAY too much fun. I used hot dogs when we practiced come at home.

Cinder & Smoke
12-14-2008, 08:12 PM
:eek:

OMG!
Your thread title is a Heart Stopper - just like her "adventure" was!

I know your pain - I watched a lil MinPin pull the same stunt - except she was
wearing a collar and tags. She just never showed them to anyone.

I suppose ever Pup I ever had has done the run off - ignore - refuse to COME game
a time or two. And you fear it will never end.

How many Wild Promises did you make to the Guy Upstairs?
I'll never get all my IOUs paid off. :p

Slurp some hot tea, {{{Hug-a-Husky}}, and say 'THANKS, God' a few more times.

AllAmericanPUP
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
That's scary! glad everything tunred out okay:)

Taz_Zoee
12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Whew! That was scary!! And I'm sure you'd take a cold over losing her anyday, right?
I am glad it all ended well and I hope you never have to go through that again. Keva, be a good girl and stick closer to mommy during your outings. And Nebo, good job helping mommy get Keva within reach. :)

cyber-sibes
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Man, that sounds very frightening, I'm glad you got hold of her (extra treats & belly rubs to Mr. Nebo!). It's a an awful feeling to get close & have them take off again, darn huskies! And your right, no treat can compete with new-found freedom from the leash of oppression! (Meeshka's name for it).
I hope YOU are alright, Amy! (((hugs))) Stay warm.

zippy-kat
12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
How freakin' scary is that?! :eek:

Add me to the list of "heart racing while reading the story" people! Geez, I don't know how you held it together.

I'm so glad you were able to get her. GOOD DOG indeed, Nebo!!

Karen
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Good boy, Nebo! How scary, Amy, we are glad you got her back. A night spent alone in the snow probably wouldn't even have made a dent in the "I'm a Husky! There's Snow! Let's run!" chorus in her brain!

gini
12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
What a heartstopper story! I am so very glad that she came back to you. Yes, brats - can't they be?

Stay warm - the hot tea helps - and get plenty of rest. I hope this doesn't become a full blown cold for you.

I think all of us have sighed a heavy sigh of relief for you.

4 Dog Mother
12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
How scary! Taggert has been taught time and again to come when called. But freedom means way more than anything - there is no treat, no threat, no anything that will stop him when he gets loose. I've had to chase him way too many times in good weather and bad so I know your pain. And he was always in our neighborhood or out near the dogpark when he made his getaway - I can't imagine being somewhere like a canyon with ALL that freedom dangling ahead of him. As many, I was caught up in your story, worried about what happened next. I am glad it was a happy ending. Nebo, good boy! And Keva, you have it way too good, don't do anything to "lose" your wonderful home.

Husky_mom
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh Amy!!.. what a scare...

and boy do we know huskies... such breathtaking dogs... both in beauty and in shocking manners... like running away.... little brats :p...

glad everything is fine now and Keva is "settled".. hope she has had enough adventures for a lifetime

I can image you dragging Nebo and Skya... oh boy.... take care and stay warm

Ginger's Mom
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
How very scary. But as you said, a husky running loose in the snow, there isn't much you can do (unless of course you had a bunny to get her attention ;) ). I am so glad she realized that playing with Nebo was more fun than running through the canyon. I am sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well; maybe you can just stay in bed and hug your dogs.

MoonandBean
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Whew........ I can imagine your fear! So glad everything and everyone is ok!!!!!!!!

*LabLoverKEB*
12-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Omg, Amy! That sure is super scary!:eek: I'm just glad that you were able to catch up to her!

Alysser
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I would have had a heart attack! I'm so glad Keva is okay though, you must not be too well off though, I bet your heart is still beating. KEVA don't EVER do that again! BAD DOG!

lizbud
12-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh wow, what an adventure that was. Good for you on keeping your
cool & with a little help from Nebo, you caught her.:) You are probably
worn out by now. My Maggie took off like that once, but it was just
around our neighborhood. She also did the "run away, stop smell, run
away again" thing to me.:rolleyes: Take care.:)

Daisy and Delilah
12-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I can only imagine what that was like!!! Yikes! That story is so incredibly scary. Keva, please be a good girl from now on!!!:(

elizabethann
12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
My stomach dropped just reading the story. I'm so glad Keva is okay.

Emeraldgreen
12-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Glad you were able to get her collar back on! Extra treats for Nebo for helping to draw her in. :) That must have been so scary but I'm glad this story has such a happy ending (except for your sore throat!).

luvofallhorses
12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh you bad girl Keva! :rolleyes: I am so glad you got her back safely, Amy! :)

Rachel
12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Things you might have tried....not that they would have worked...and they are very hard to do as they are counter intuitive.

-Turning and running in the opposite direction and making a big show of it.
-Falling down on the ground and lying still and waiting for her to investigate what was wrong with you.

The thing with chasing her was she had the security of her pack. Hannah had twice taken me on a chase adventure. The last time I lost sight of her, she came back in fairly short order. Now if she does get out of the front door accidently, I make a point of not going after her. I sit on the front step. She goes across the street into the neighbor's yard, but that' it.

Has your heart stopped pounding yet?

pitc9
12-17-2008, 10:04 AM
First of all... {{{{{HUG}}}}
And how about our Hero Nebo!! Wow! He sure knew what to do!
What a good boy in deed!!

SO glad she didn't go out on the ice.... omg...

Now.... YOU listen here little missie *shakes finger at Keva* Don't you Ever pull something like that again!!! *kiss* You almost gave your mom (and all of us) a heart attack!!

When you were talking about falling in the snow and crying.. that's what I did when Bud and Sierra were missing over night a few winters ago. Someone spoted them the next morning and called me. I got there and saw their paw prints everywhere but they wouldn't come to me. I dropped to my knees in the snow crying for them to come to me, and that's when they did!!!

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
How scary!!!:eek: I'm glad that you were able to catch her with Nebo's help.:) Now hopefully you'll be able to get over your cough and sore throat quickly.:)

anna_66
12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Man, just reading that freaked me out:eek::eek:

I'm so glad that Nebo was such a good boy and got her to come to him!

I hope you aren't getting sick, it's NO FUN.

(((HUGS))) to you all.

Husky_mom
12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
they are very hard to do as they are counter intuitive.

-Turning and running in the opposite direction and making a big show of it.
-Falling down on the ground and lying still and waiting for her to investigate what was wrong with you.

you said it!!... itīs way hard... but yes it is whatīs reccomended... but even harder with such dogs with a free running spirit set loose... a.k.a huskies :rolleyes:...

how are you feeling? any better?....

Keva you better behave young lady... make puppy eyes and be good