PDA

View Full Version : Color changes???

Cookiebaker
09-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Malone's nose changed colors over the weekend. How weird is that?? It used to be BLACK, and now it is a definite BROWN. Does that happen as they grow older?? :confused: I'm not really concerned about it, just curious if anybody else's pup did that.

Cincy'sMom
09-16-2002, 08:03 PM
I've never heard of noses changing color. Cincy's fur was definatly black when we got her, but now it has a lot of brown, red and beige in it.

sammi
09-16-2002, 08:17 PM
We talked about that a long time ago. I wondered one day when I realized that Buddy's nose went from black to pinkish/tan!!! I guess the reason is that the color changes/piment as the season change from warm-cool & cool - warm. Pink in the winter and black in the summer to protect from sunburn......

RockyRoad
09-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Lady's nose was always black, and sometimes it turns red, but that is normal, because she is always rubbing her nose with her claws, and wearing it out by licking her...*area*. :)

wolf_Q
09-17-2002, 02:04 AM
I've always wondering what exactly causes this also. I've heard it is very common for huskies to get what is called a "snow nose." Part of the nose or even the whole nose will turn lighter or even pink during the winter, then go darker during the summer. It is obvious that Nebo is getting a snow nose. I've attached a pic. I lightened it some so you can really see the stripe. Malone's nose will probably darken again, but I'm not sure. I bet he looks cute either way! :D

C.C.'s Mom
09-17-2002, 03:09 AM
There are Yellow Labs and Golden Retrievers that have their nose color change when they get over their puppy stage. It goes from black to pinkish brown.

Cookiebaker
09-17-2002, 03:41 AM
C.C.'s Mom do you know if the color change is permanent?? I just *love* his brown nose!! :D OK, so I love his nose whatever the color, but the brown nose just brings out the color from around his eyes. :D It very well could be a seasonal change because up here in New England, it is getting pretty chilly. :(

And WolfQ, that picture is just tooooo funny for words!! Nebo with a bi-colored nose. Sooooo cute!!! LOL! Malone's is just solid though, all brown.

Cookiebaker
09-17-2002, 04:22 AM
Oh another change we are going through is his bark! All of a sudden he has started howling instead of a high pitched yap. It is the funniest thing. My bro&sis-in-law had a alaskan malamute, and he sounds just like their dog did. He does this especially when he thinks someone is coming to the house, or if something's not quite right. :) It's really cute, but at the same time I am just hating that he is losing his puppyhood all at the same time. :(

C.C.'s Mom
09-17-2002, 05:46 AM
The New England states have the same weather as we have, and yes, the Golden Retriever I know has a pinkish nose that doesn't go back to black.

I don't know if this is also a standard in America, but the Golden Retriever Club we're member of, only allows dogs with black noses. Not that it matters of course. It's the dog we love, not the color of his nose. We're only members because we get this cute Golden magazine :D

Stenograsaurus
09-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Yep, my Husky, Dakota, always has that happen to his nose.

pupper-lover
09-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Oh another change we are going through is his bark!

During the end of his puppihood, my golden's bark started cracking, just like a teenage boy. It was hilarious! I have never experienced this with a dog before, but it definately added some entertainment to the humans. At 16 months old, Jake, still sometimes has his "puberty" bark. It's starting to deepen into a very loud deep "manly" bark that you would expect from a dog dog his size (BIG-BIG). Oh, they grow up so fast . . .

lv4dogs
09-17-2002, 12:23 PM
2 of my dogs the shep & the husky mixes get lighter noses in winter then darker and black in the winter, my rott her nose always stays black

Dixieland Dancer
09-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by sammi
We talked about that a long time ago. I wondered one day when I realized that Buddy's nose went from black to pinkish/tan!!! I guess the reason is that the color changes/piment as the season change from warm-cool & cool - warm. Pink in the winter and black in the summer to protect from sunburn......

The primary cause of "snow nose" or "winter nose" is a same thing that occurs that cause the leaves to change color. The days are getting shorter and shorter with daylight and longer and longer with darkness. Lack of sunshine causes pigment change that starts to occur around this time of year. There are different breeds that are more susceptible to this occurance. Huskies are one of them! Goldens are too!!

Dusty has a coal black nose but Dixie gets a touch of the brownish nose every winter. It always turns back to black in the summer but never as deeply as when she was a pup. Her's starting changing to the brownish color a couple weeks ago.

Bridgette, American standard for the Golden nose is also black but having a brownish to pink nose (especially in the winter) is not a major fault. It is just a minor deduction in conformation.

lovemymaltese
09-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Huh, how odd. I have heard that when a dog's nose turns a lighter color than black, especailly when they are pink, that means that they are not getting enough sunlight. I don't know how much truth there in in that though.