PDA

View Full Version : RIP, little Phoenix

Catty1
12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
No child, no human, should ever have to endure what this poor little girl did.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/12/12/mb-sinclair-trial.html

Manitoba couple convicted in death of Phoenix Sinclair
Last Updated: Friday, December 12, 2008 | 2:02 PM CT
CBC News

Phoenix Sinclair's mother and her common-law partner have been found guilty of first-degree murder.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2008/11/05/phoenix-sinclair.jpg
Phoenix Sinclair's mother and her common-law partner have been found guilty of first-degree murder. (CBC)

A Manitoba couple who buried the body of the woman's five-year-old daughter in a shallow grave near the Fisher River Indian Reserve have been found guilty of the first-degree murder of Phoenix Sinclair.

Phoenix died in June 2005 on the cold basement floor of her home. Her body was found in March 2006, wrapped in plastic in a shallow, unmarked grave near the garbage dump on the Fisher River Indian Reserve.

Phoenix's mother, Samantha Kematch, and stepfather, Karl Wesley McKay, were convicted Friday by the 10-woman, two-man jury, which had been deliberating since Tuesday in Winnipeg.

'It shouldn't happen to any little child.'—Hilda McKay, sister of stepfather convicted in Phoenix Sinclair's death

Kematch and McKay appeared to show little emotion when the verdict was read, but several people sitting in the public gallery let out a sigh while others were in tears.

McKay's sister, Hilda, said the couple got what they deserved, but she didn't feel justice could ever be served for what the little girl endured in her short life.

"We were all shocked to find out what happened to Phoenix," Hilda McKay said outside the courthouse. "It shouldn't have happened to her. Everybody knows that. It shouldn't happen to any little child."

Kematch and McKay had pleaded not guilty.

Couple could face life in prison

During the trial, defence lawyers did not deny the abuse but argued there was not enough evidence to convict the couple of first-degree murder.

The competing defence teams had suggested that manslaughter may be a more appropriate sentence because it was not clear who had delivered the final fatal blow to Phoenix.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Karen Simonsen is expected to hear victim impact statements on Friday afternoon before sentencing the couple, who could face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

On Thursday, the jurors queried Simonsen on whether the Crown had to prove a defendant has a murderous state of mind while both performing an unlawful act and while failing to perform an action to prevent a crime.

Simonsen told the jurors they can establish state of mind through either avenue — not both.

The girl was a ward of Child and Family Services for much of her life until Kematch regained custody about a year before her death in June 2005.

A child welfare worker checked on the family in early 2005 but never saw Phoenix during the visit. No one ever followed up on the case.

During the trial, the court heard Kematch and McKay routinely beat Sinclair with their fists, feet and metal bars and forced to eat her own vomit. Phoenix was also choked until she passed out and was shot with a pellet gun. She was confined to a cold basement.

The court was told the girl had broken bones throughout her body when she died.

Teen son tells police about child's abuse

In a videotaped interview with police played in court during the trial, McKay said he found Phoenix's body on the floor of the basement on the day he had told her to "shut up" and threw her on the floor.

He said he had tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate her before wrapping the body in plastic and driving to the garbage dump where he buried the child.

Police did not look for Phoenix's body until one of McKay's teenage sons told authorities about the abuse he had witnessed.

After the couple were charged, McKay later led police to the grave where her body was found.

The couple are also accused of trying to pass off another child as Sinclair to convince welfare investigators and the RCMP that their daughter was still with the family — partly in order to apply for benefits in the girl's name.

Phoenix's death will be the subject of a public inquiry that is expected to begin in the new year and will examine Manitoba's child welfare system.

Taz_Zoee
12-12-2008, 04:10 PM
That is just sick!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

jennielynn1970
12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
What is this world coming to. Seriously. There are so many stories these days of people killing children, it's just disgusting and disheartening to think what our society is becoming.

lvpets2002
12-12-2008, 04:23 PM
:( I so Agree.. RIP wittle Angel Phoenix.. May the Heaven Angles have & be comforting you now..
What is this world coming to. Seriously. There are so many stories these days of people killing children, it's just disgusting and disheartening to think what our society is becoming.

Catty1
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
This was posted on the blog below the article. The last verse really stuck with me.
ayahuasca wrote:Posted 2008/12/12
at 5:48 AM ET

When I first heard the story of little Phoenix I cried for two days. I know the saying, "Tears are not enough", and I agree with it. But I couldn't stop crying. I just sobbed. Finally I thought I could write something in her memory. So I wrote a poem. I'm no poet but I want to post it here anyway. Just because.

for Phoenix Sinclair

not a nursery rhyme

if you go out in the woods today
you'd better not make a sound
it's been quiet there ever since
they laid her in the ground

the monsters weren't hiding in her closet
or underneath her bed
they weren't tapping at her window
or living inside her head

the monsters didn't live in the attic
or underneath the stairs
they weren't lurking in the shadows
or hiding anywhere

the monsters lived in every room
and were always very near
they were always so mean and angry
she lived her life in fear

they never gave her any love
monsters have none to give
she was just too little to run away
from where the monsters lived

eventually they took her life
when she was only five
they kept it a secret between themselves
pretending she was still alive

they hadn't bothered to dig deep
and made her grave too shallow
this ground where she first lay
will remain forever hallowed

she rests now with her ancestors
and is no longer afraid
she's safe from the monsters
who dug her shallow grave

such a horrible little life it was
for one who was so small
when parents are the monsters
there's no escape at all

Twisterdog
12-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I will repeat the comment I made about the Caylee Anthony case ....

Let the punishment fit the crime. These monster ought to die the same way their baby did.

Medusa
12-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Sadly, it's happening again somewhere right now to some other innocent child. RIP, Phoenix. Your peace has come at last.

Laura's Babies
12-13-2008, 08:00 AM
To sad to comment on....

sumbirdy
12-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I am just now reading this. This is so sad. It's exactly what I can picture Nathan's "mother" would do to him if she ever got her hands on him. Right down to the pretending he's alive to get benefits. It's so sad and scary to know these monsters exist, and that the child you love dearly could become their victim. That ANY child could become their victim. It's sickening.

And also, why didn't the case worker ask to see her? Were they just turning a blind eye to everything as well?

:(R.I.P. Phoenix. I know God has wiped your tears away and healed your pain.

shais_mom
12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I find it interesting that the STEP-father's own SISTER'S feel the way they do.
Does this mean they knew something wasn't Kosher in the house? Then why didn't they do something about it?
I know that Children's Services have their hands full but there's something that doesn't sit well with me. They should have INSISTED on seeing Phoenix and followed up. Anyone that does animal rescue (not me since I don't) wouldn't go to a house and say Can I see the animal you adopted? and not leave until they see it. A CHILD should have that same respect and MORE. The fact that they didn't see Phoenix that day and never followed up on it is Bull$hi+. I hope they follow up to who did the home visit and that person is severely reprimanded.
Yesterday zippiekat/Tonya called me on her way to the nasty part of the town she lives in b/c she was doing house visits with a friend for the rescue organization. www.dogsdeservebetter.com
They went up to people's houses who had dogs tied outside and knocked on the door and told them they had presents for the dog out back. THAT took more guts than the children services in this case.

Once the "parents"/murderers get to Prison (and I use the Parents term loosely) and their peers find out what they did they will get their own.
I remember reading Susan Smith got the $hi+ beat outta her when she got to prison.

Rest easy now sweet Phoenix. You have risen from the ashes and are now soaring like a bird on Angel's wings like your namesake.