PDA

View Full Version : Next year it can only get better, right??

Nomilynn
12-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Sigh.. what a year 2008 has been.

My car has sucked me dry. I have replaced the radiator, the starter, the timing belt, the brakes, all 4 tires.. and today.. the alternator and battery. :eek:

I lost my job in October due to lay offs, and have not yet found work.

I have been sick pretty much since the beginning of the fall season, with consecutive colds, flus, and sinus troubles.

This year alone, my mom has lost 2 jobs due to lay offs (but luckily starts a new one on Monday - she's in Calgary AB, I'm in Richmond BC).

So please tell me, it can only get better in 2009, right? Right???? :p

lvpets2002
12-12-2008, 12:46 PM
:o Oh mymy you have had a rough year.. For sure the sun will shine sooner or later.. Sometimes its later than sooner.. But you will have sunshine & that golden door will open for sure.. Best of Luck with the New Years 2009..

Catty1
12-12-2008, 04:15 PM
DJFyrewolf has a thread that has some good ideas in it...like, until things get better, that people can do small jobs for others...babysitting, shoveling a walk or two, shopping...again, not huge cash flow, but ways that people can be a bit closer and help each other through this time.

I really really feel so badly for the auto employees...we have so many in Canada, and many many more in the USA. Huge prayers for them.

I hope we all find a way to help each other out.

Karen
12-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey, so you practically have a new car, right? 2009 WILL be better, I am sure of it.

Daisy and Delilah
12-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I am the number one supporter of 2009 being a better year!!! I am so sorry to hear of the terrible year you've had.

I've had three major surgeries this year, several major falls and accidents in my family, my daughter moved to NC, I lost my job because I was away so long, and have been diagnosed with many other medical problems. Phew!! Things can only get better. I have to go back into the job market at the first of the year and I worry about it all the time. I fear that there will be no one hiring. There are hiring freezes everywhere.

I finally feel like I'm on the road to recovery. That's the greatest thing I can think of. It's really paid off to keep a positive attitude through all this. Thank goodness for my family and friends. Thanks to Pet Talk for keeping me going too.:)

Thoughts and prayers going out to everybody that needs a better year next year!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

kallisto4529
12-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I thank God every day my husband and I have good stable jobs, I pray every day for everyone who is having it so hard. My sister is one of them, she was layed off near the beginning of the year and still has not found work and this month is the last of her unemployment!! I worry all the time about her and her state of mind. I truly pray 2009 is better for all of you and for my family and friends.

Nomilynn
12-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I actually got a call today from a company that I had interviewed with; the position I applied for had been filled internally, but the HR person was so impressed with me that she wanted to forward my resume on to some other managers for upcoming positions - so I took that as very good news!!! :D

Medusa
12-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I think it's been a tough year for just about everyone. Yes, 2009 will be better for you and everyone. Let's decree it and affirm it. :)

Twisterdog
12-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I swear, there is somthing terribly wrong with 2008. I have heard it from so many people.

This year my beloved father passed away, my sister's sister-in-law passed away, a long time family friend passed away, two of my dogs died, my sister and brother-in-law separated, my niece and her husband got divorced, my niece's baby girl was stillborn, my son and my step-son both got in trouble and were sent to juvenile placement facilities, my husband got demoted at his job, my son totalled two cars, and my best friend was just diagnosed with advanced cancer, at age 44.

I stop myself from saying, "I can't wait for this year to be over, because next year has to be better!" because, frankly, next year doesn't have to be better, and I don't want to curse myself by saying that.

But dang ... how much can you take in one year????

RICHARD
12-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Tomorrow you will wake up and greet the day.

When you go to sleep think about what didn't happen and that is the start of your streak of good days.

The crappy days are done with and you only have the future to work on.

Bad luck isn't what you have to look forward to. Use this time as a foundation for the time when you can look back and say to yourself, "Man, that really sucked, glad I am here, now!"

Prayers and best wishes going your way.:)

DJFyrewolf36
12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks Catty :)

Man, has 2008 been a roller coaster ride *sigh* This year has been such a pain in the you know what, but at the same time such a huge blessing because of my son and my job which at the moment has really low hours but at the same time I really enjoy the work.

Here's to 2009...may we live well using the lessons 08 has taught us. (Everything happens for a reason, I say!)

Andie
12-13-2008, 10:52 AM
So please tell me, it can only get better in 2009, right? Right???? :p

Throwing out my favorite quote of the moment: It'll all be ok in the end. If it ain't ok, it ain't the end.

That's what has kept me going all year.

Hope 2009 is better for everyone!

Bengalz
12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is a phrase I've often heard. 2008 has been a historic year on many fronts but we must remember that it isn't the first. We are a spoiled society and spoiled generation - just think of what our grandparents and our parents have had to endure in their time - and they have survived. It is our time to learn and there are many lessons to be had from the events in our world today.

My greatest wish for 2009 is that we take those lessons and use them wisely. Hang in there - life is definitely worth living - even in the tough times.

pomtzu
12-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Next year can only get better??? We can only hope and pray! :)

Kfamr
12-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's to hoping next year isn't filled with losing two important people, stressful job situations, family gatherings ending in fights, and sh*tty friends. :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I know that 2009 has to be a much better year.:D I'm trying to stay positive because 2008 has been one of my worst years ever. I've had flooding, water damage, gastritis, computer problems, lost a roommate of 3+ years,2 co-workers had fires in their apt.'s, and problems with my cats. I'm very thankful that I still have a job, a roof over my head and enough food and water. I hope that everyone will have a better 2009.:)

catnapper
12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Count me in on hoping 2009 is better than '08! I think for a lot of us, it can only get better.... it certainly can't get worse!!! ;)

But as bad as 2008 has been, I stop to remind myself the good things that have happened. Otherwise, I'd be inundated in an overwhelming pile of helplessness.

cassiesmom
12-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I am the number one supporter of 2009 being a better year!!! I am so sorry to hear of the terrible year you've had.

I've had three major surgeries this year, several major falls and accidents in my family, my daughter moved to NC, I lost my job because I was away so long, and have been diagnosed with many other medical problems. Phew!! Things can only get better. I have to go back into the job market at the first of the year and I worry about it all the time. I fear that there will be no one hiring. There are hiring freezes everywhere.

I finally feel like I'm on the road to recovery. That's the greatest thing I can think of. It's really paid off to keep a positive attitude through all this. Thank goodness for my family and friends. Thanks to Pet Talk for keeping me going too.:)

Thoughts and prayers going out to everybody that needs a better year next year!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Prayers and thoughts for Nomilynn, Daisy and Delilah and all those who are in need of a better year. My best friend's brother joked that this year on New Year's Eve we will say in our best Arnold Schwarzenegger actor voice, "Hasta la vista 2008!" He has had back problems for most of the year, my best friend has had a lot of major changes at her job that have not all gone as well as the managers had hoped and planned. I have several reasons to hope '09 will be better but I won't burden my PT friends with it again here. Just to say prayers, thoughts and good wishes for 2009.

Hugs,
Elyse

Fett
12-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Count me in as 2008 being a horrible money year, perhaps my worst ever.

Had 5 flat tires (the last of which cracked the wheel itself so had to replace that, too).

We owed both state and federal for our tax returns so got nothing back.

Went on our vacation only because our friend's wife allowed us to use her frequent flyer miles on our hotel.

There's been many weeks during 2008 where I had to decide which I'd rather do.... buy car gas or groceries, and since gas gets me to work, I've had to go that route (and have lost 20 pounds over this year....not because I'm trying to. In February I was 148, now I'm 128. :( ).

I'm working two jobs and periodically pick up a third on the side. Kim picked up a second job this year as well, and I'm still just scraping by. I'm thankful I'm working, but it's literally been 10 months since the last time I was able to make a single deposit into my savings account....though I had to take some out one month later and therefore have had less than $9.00 in there for the last 9 months. I own no stocks, bonds, cds, 401k, etc. so that eight dollars and change is my entire "portfolio" and I'm 36 years old. Blah.

I've worked 45-53 hours per week between two jobs for all of 2008 and after taxes, I'm only taking home $1,300 a month. Our bills are $2,100 a month and we live in an apartment since we have zero money as a house downpayment. That $2,100 a month for our bills does not include gas for both our cars, or groceries, vet bills, medical expenses, any and all entertainment or savings, etc. At least gas has gone down recently. That's a huge plus! So, yeah for the most part I've basically been living paycheck to paycheck for over a year now and I hate it so much. "At least you're employed" everyone tells me because I think our state has the highest unemployment rating at the moment out of the country.

We've been paying off Chippers hospital bill for a little over two years now and next month would have been his final payment, but now Logan's in the hospital so we'll again have to charge thousands of dollars on it and continue to stay in debt for many more years to come. (Kim still has a fairly good sized credit card debt she's slowly digging away at, on top of the pet hospital debt).

Somehow I've been able to stay afloat this year, but it's been a struggle needless to say. This whole year has been beyond stressful on our bodies and minds, and I'm really hoping next year will be better.