PDA

View Full Version : TERRIBLE weather in Pittsburgh!

davidpizzica
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
All day today it was raining and now in the space of an hour, it's turned from rain to freezing rain and now into very wet snow! I'm glad I shopped early today because now the roads are getting bad. I can drive in rain, snow, but not in any combination like this. It's a good night to stay in and be on PT!

jennielynn1970
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
This is so not fair!!!! I am so living in the wrong area of PA. Rain. Rain. More rain. That's all we ever seem to get here the past how many years! ARGH!!!! Wanna trade cities?? Pittsburgh kicks butt, I love it there!

davidpizzica
12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
This is so not fair!!!! I am so living in the wrong area of PA. Rain. Rain. More rain. That's all we ever seem to get here the past how many years! ARGH!!!! Wanna trade cities?? Pittsburgh kicks butt, I love it there!

Jenn, I just looked out and now it's a cold rain! We're getting EVERYTHING here! BTW, what part of Pittsburgh did you visit?

Laura's Babies
12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Did you see my thread here I posted today? We got 4 inches of snow in the deep south today. Had all kinds of closures here too. We don't know how to deal with this.. Most has melted now but it is suppose to freeze tonight and they are worried about ice on the roads now.. we don't know how to deal with that either..(nor the equipment)

davidpizzica
12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Did you see my thread here I posted today? We got 4 inches of snow in the deep south today. Had all kinds of closures here too. We don't know how to deal with this.. Most has melted now but it is suppose to freeze tonight and they are worried about ice on the roads now.. we don't know how to deal with that either..(nor the equipment)

I saw your post. I guess we're so used to it up here in the northeast. It was a real shock to see snow in Louisiana. Freezing rain is really bad anywhere, especially in Pittsburgh where we have to go up and down hills in freezing rain. My prayers go out to your area that there aren't any collisions and that everyone is safe.

jennielynn1970
12-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Jenn, I just looked out and now it's a cold rain! We're getting EVERYTHING here! BTW, what part of Pittsburgh did you visit?

Let's see... in 1990 and 1991, I lived in Johnstown (went to Univ. Pitt. Johnstown) and we'd visit the library in Pittsburgh, and go to the main campus and see football games.

From 2000 to 2007 I was part of our executive committee for our teachers' union at school and we had our PSEA meetings once a year in Pittsburgh (the other time of the year we had it in Philadelphia). We'd stay at the Westin, or the Marriot (I think) or whatever hotel they were having the conference in. I preferred the Westin, it was so nice and had fluffy comforters! I loved going to see the ice skating in the center of the city, and we went to this one brew works that is in an old church. I remember it being on a hill, I think on the western part of town?? We'd go to the shops on the other side of the river, take the subway and travel around, go on the inclined plane. Our trip always included a visit to the piano bar at the one shopping outlet area where Filene's Basement and all those awesome shops are. The piano bar was great, and the microbrews were good too.

I just love the history of the area. THe old buildings. We went to Kauffman's and shopped. Walked all over the place. Went to that one little sandwich shop where they put the fries, the slaw and everything on your sandwich (and you need a fork and knife to eat them!). Usually our delegation went to new places to eat and drink every year we were there. It was a fun time, for the most part, and I never wanted to leave.

OOH... and a few times they had big games with the Steelers happening on the weekends we were there, and they would have one whole floor of the hotel to themselves, and my friend Alison and I would be trying to get to the floor and find the guys, lol. They were HUGE!!! They don't look that tall or that big on tv, but man, in person, WOW!