PDA

View Full Version : Hank at 14 weeks old - Question too as well -

CountryWolf07
12-11-2008, 12:25 PM
First, pictures of Hank at 14 weeks old -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/3100903462_982162418c.jpg (he likes to stretch his legs on you every time he wakes up from a nap or when he's outside, just need to stretch... :))

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/3100069215_6fc9144eff.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/3100070405_377e55ef44.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/3100906936_189b240baf.jpg

Overall, he's been a great puppy, but wow, is he a HANDFUL. Currently we are trying to break him from biting. He seems to think our hands (anyone's hands) are a TOY to him, so he just keeps biting when he wants to play, we've been trying to break him for about a month and half.. still nothing. We want to know what is the PROPER way to tell a puppy "NO" on biting. Even saying "No!", a little nip on the nose and say "No!", or keeping your hands away, yet he doesn't give up..

Any suggestions, it'd be appreciated. We are actually surprised how much of a handful he is, comparing to Rosie when we had her as a puppy, she was never this much trouble. ;)

We love the little guy, he's been a great addition, he sleeps with everyone, he's a TOTAL lap dog. (must be the boston terrier in him) ?

He hasn't really grown much since we got him; just his legs are longer, his tail is longer.. He's barely at 10 lbs. We are thinking he's definitely part Boston Terrier along with Beagle.

Karen
12-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Say "NO" and then remove your hands from where he can get at them. Tuck 'em under your arms if you have to. If one is handy, substitute a "good-to-chew" toy. If he jumps at you after you say no, just turn your back to him and ignore him.

He sure is adorable! Remember, your task is to be MORE stubborn than he is!

k9krazee
12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Oh, he's CUTE! :D

For the biting, every time he does it I would stand up and ignore him or walk away. He will eventually realize biting = no playing.

gini
12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
I have no suggestions for you as I am a cat owner. But he sure is one cutie!

Good luck - persevere!!

Husky_mom
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM
another methos I´ve tried.. besides saying no, clapping, etc... is grabbing the muzzle and shake (softly) while saying no... a mom dog would do this... so it might work for you too...

once the dog gets it.. always reinforce it by the vocal cues you´ve used and that have worked

scrain2329
12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Bayley would do this too.. well still does every once in a while but I yip really loud. like a loud ouch, as if a puppy was yelping then the cold shoulder. Also, the "muzzle shake" I have heard works well too but when we tried this Bayley would find a way to continue to bite. good luck with the biting though!!

Giselle
12-11-2008, 08:42 PM
The muzzle shake often fails because most puppies view it as an invitation to play. In fact, most puppies view ANY interaction (a verbal "No!", for example) as invitations to play. Puppies love attention, even (especially? lol) negative attention.

I echo k9krazee: Every time puppy bites, fold your arms, and walk away - if you have to, walk into an entirely different room. If you use this same concept with other obnoxious behaviors (i.e. jumping), the puppy will learn self control. Two birds with one stone and no need for physical punishment!

CountryWolf07
12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks all..

Nothing works, though, it seems like Hank think it's fun to him, when he's being scolded "No!" so we put him in the cage, and I think he realizes that it is wrong... then he will start it up again, it's on his own terms, not ours, obviously he is only a puppy, but he needs to learn... but honestly, he's SUCH a great puppy, he's very smart & knows how to sit, lay, and shake.. I plan on teaching him how to "high five", "roll", and "stay"..

wolf_Q
12-11-2008, 11:20 PM
He's so cute! He sounds just like Nebo as a puppy. Ignoring Nebo seemed to work the best...it still took him a while to get it though.

ramanth
12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
No advice since I've never had that problem. He's cute though!! :D

Giselle
12-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks all..

Nothing works, though, it seems like Hank think it's fun to him, when he's being scolded "No!" so we put him in the cage, and I think he realizes that it is wrong... then he will start it up again, it's on his own terms, not ours, obviously he is only a puppy, but he needs to learn... but honestly, he's SUCH a great puppy, he's very smart & knows how to sit, lay, and shake.. I plan on teaching him how to "high five", "roll", and "stay"..
Exactly :) He thinks your punishments are fun. So even though we think a "NO" is a punishment, a puppy thinks a "NO" is a reward/reinforcement. So just stop all attention as soon as he bites, i.e. folding your arms and walking into another room or standing stock still. As soon as he gives up (he will, I promise!), initiate play again. As soon as he gets too rowdy, fold your arms and walk into another room or stand stock still. Initiate play as soon as he calms down. Repeat repeat. It's a repetitive process =)

Yorkie Lover
12-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Gently grab his snout (lucky his is long and easy like a dachshund's) carefully wiggle/shake it and firmly say no, hank. no bite. It will make him feel ashamed and he will learn to stop.

Yorkie Lover
12-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks all..

Look at my advice at the bottom of the page. Be sure to emphasize the BAD DOG! He'll get it. He will!

finn's mom
12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I totally agree with Giselle.

Any interaction with Finn as a puppy literally set him off! If I grabbed his snout, he thought the game was definitely ON! ;) I think for a really submissive puppy, the snout thing could work (all I know is it definitely was the worst thing to do to Finn). Saying no or saying ouch like he hurt us just egged him on, too. The ouch thing works now for him as a grown dog, as he is more aware of his strength and what his body is actually doing. ;) He had NO CLUE as a puppy!

The ONLY thing that worked with Finn was ignoring him. I think it took two or three days of literally ZERO playtime with us before he began to grasp why we weren't playing with him. It was hard not to interact with him, but it was worth it.

I don't know that I'd stick Hank in his crate for bad behavior, because he should love his crate and not associate it with something he's done wrong. I'm not sure if I understood that part right, though. ;)

Another trick I learned with Finn was if I took him outside for a good romp before initiating sit down play time, he was less bitey. A little less, haha.

You could maybe even enlist a friend's help...keep a blockade of some sort handy (like a piece of wood or plastic or something), and when he bites, just have them put the "wall" between you and him. He'll of course go right around it after a second or two...I don't know...I had an idea, hahaha, but it sort of went away. :o

cassiesmom
12-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi, Hank, what a cutie you are! No biting, please, okay? :love: