PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Politics

Puckstop31
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/blagojevich/1321300,rod-blagojevich-illinois-governor-custody-120908.article

Don't ya just love it when these guys get busted. Watch em' squirm now, like roaches when you hit the lights.

It also just so happens our next leader is from Illinois... I quote from the linked article....

"The head of the FBI office in Chicago said if Illinois isn’t the most corrupt state in the United States, it’s a strong competitor."

Of course, Lord Barry knew nothing about this... Nope, not him. LOL Break out the tap dancing shoes boys!!!

Grace
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
It must be in the water in Illinois. The previous governor, George Ryan, a Republican, is serving 6 and a half years in Federal prison on federal corruption charges.

Equal opportunity transgressors, don't you think?

From the Chicago Tribune, back in 2006 -

George Ryan Sr., a consummate political dealmaker who rose to become Illinois' 39th governor, was convicted Monday on sweeping federal corruption charges of wielding power to help himself and his friends.

After a historic, marathon trial, a federal jury in its 11th day of deliberations found Ryan guilty on all 18 counts of steering state business to cronies for bribes, of gutting corruption-fighting efforts to protect political fundraising and of misusing state resources for political gain.

Ryan's co-defendant, lobbyist and longtime friend Lawrence Warner, was also found guilty on all 12 counts against him.

JenBKR
12-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think it Illinois....

I think it's POLITICIANS!

The ones in Illinois are just getting caught ;)

Puckstop31
12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Grace, Jen....

I totally agree that this has nothing to do with a particular party. It is more about, "show me your friends and I will show you your future."

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Alaska Politics

Oh what a web we weave....if Blagojevich is a reflection on Obama because they are politicians from the same state...

doesn't that mean Stevens...a convicted felon from Alaska... is a reflection on Palin?

That is a silly game that really shouldn't be played!

cassiesmom
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Hello, Gov (Democrat) ... did you not learn anything from the whole corruption thing with Ryan (Republican)? And did you not think about your wife and children? You had an opportunity to do right in selecting someone to complete Obama's Senate term, and you blew it. There is going to be a special session of the Illinois House and Senate next week to come up with a way to separate him from the gubernatorial duty of appointing Obama's successor. I'm sure Lincoln and Reagan are turning over in their graves.

Meanwhile... on a day that started with rain and is ending with snow ... Obama met with Al Gore in Chicago this afternoon about the environment and other topics. I would love to have been a bug on the wall at that meeting just to have heard what Gore had to say to him, what suggestions or ideas they came up with.

Rachel
12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
It is a sad, sad day for Illinois. It still amazes me that there are civil servants who don't understand the concept and instead see public office as a license to steal. Well, it's not. Thanks to the hard work of the FBI and people like Patrick Fitzgerald, the truth will prevail and maybe even some good will ensue.

Lady's Human
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
The difference between Alaska and Illinois is that Illinois has been openly corrupt for decades. Vote early, vote often, machine politics, etc, all alive and well in Illinois.

Gov. Palin ran against the machine, and won.

Gov. Blagojevich ran with the machine, and got caught.

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
The difference between Alaska and Illinois is that Illinois has been openly corrupt for decades. Vote early, vote often, machine politics, etc, all alive and well in Illinois.

Gov. Palin ran against the machine, and won.

Gov. Blagojevich ran with the machine, and got caught.

I think you miss the point! A poster was trying to equate the corruption of one politician with another politician because they both live in the same state.

Palin lives in the same state as Stevens....get it?

Whether "Illinois has been openly corrupt for decades"...how is a state corrupt? People and states are not the same thing. Yes, some politicians have been corrupt in Illinois. And in Alaska. And in New York. And in all 47 other states. And Washington DC. And Puerto Rico.

Nonetheless...because a politician is corrupt in a state does NOT mean all politicians in that state are corrupt. It is not the measles. It would be like saying because one soldier in a unit is a criminal -- everyone in the unit is one.

I also question your statement that Blagojevich was machine. The machine is primarily a Chicago-based organization and Blagojevich won because of downstate.

Oh and the "vote early, vote often"...a joke I have heard many places in addition to Chicago? Probably because it originated in Tammany New York.

blue
12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
The difference is Palin asked Stevens to step down before his trail was concluded, Barack is acting like nothing happened.

Lady's Human
12-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Just how many different people can "misspeak" the same way about the same events?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/12/questions-arise.html

blue
12-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Where exactly is Tammany, New York?

You must mean Tammany Hall in NYC.

blue
12-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Blagojevich's Nov. 5 victory can be encapsulated as follows: A monstrous vote in Chicago, coupled with a surprising vote Downstate, equals a comfortable win. The Democrat won big in his Chicago base, and Ryan didn't checkmate him in his Collar County base or Downstate. Statewide, Blagojevich beat Ryan by a surprisingly narrow 52-48 percent margin. In fact, Blagojevich's total vote of 1,820,059 was 225,868 more than Democrat Glenn Poshard's 1998 vote of 1,594,191, and Jim Ryan's total of 1,584,684 was 129,410 less than George Ryan's 1998 vote of 1,714,094. Ryan triumphed by 119,903 votes in 1998. That means that the $23 million raised and spent by Blagojevich, when coupled with George Ryan's perceived culpability in the licenses-for-bribes scandal, moved a grand total of 350,000 votes. But victory, as they say, has a thousand mothers, and nobody really cares from whence it comes.

So Chitown had no say in swaying the election then? Source. (http://www.russstewart.com/11-13-02.htm)

Puckstop31
12-10-2008, 08:00 AM
That is so sweet ES. Thank you for taking me off your "iggy" list. :)

I see your point and it is valid. But are you really trying to say that Alaska politics is the same as Illinois politics? Or that Barack Obama and/or his staff (Rahm Immanuel) REALLY had no knowledge of the process of finding his replacement in the Sentate?

Come on ES... You can't be THAT in the tank for them, can you?

Oh and I did not say Illinois is one of the most corrupt states in the country, the FBI did.

Edwina's Secretary
12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
So Chitown had no say in swaying the election then? Source. (http://www.russstewart.com/11-13-02.htm)

Wrong election Blue.

I was surprised Blagojevich was elected the first time and shocked when he was reelected.

That is not the point.

Just looking for some basic logic here. Silly me.

Richard Nixon was a politician. From the state of California. He was a crook.

Ronald Reagan was a politician. From the state of California. Does that mean he was a crook?

That would be illogical and well...silly.

It appears that you guys are allowing your hatred of an administration that hasn't even started yet to cloud your judgement!

Edwina's Secretary
12-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Just how many different people can "misspeak" the same way about the same events?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/12/questions-arise.html

I give up...how many?

There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the "pay to play" way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin.

Catty1
12-10-2008, 10:53 AM
blue, are you reporting this event the way you are to disclose information, or to confirm a prejudice?

I'm just glad you didn't major in Journalism. ;)

Puckstop31
12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
"There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the "pay to play" way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin. "

Didn't Obama say yesterday that he had NO contact with Blago about this?

Which is it? Did he refuse to play along or did he not know? if he did not know anything, how is that possible? Blago is supposedly on tape calling Obama a "MFer" for not being willing to pay. How could Obama not be willing to pay if he had no knowledge of it?

But then again, I realize this is a exercise in futility... So I guess we just add Blago to the list of people Obama knows who are ending up in jail or on the hot seat...

Rev. Wright

Tony Rezko

Rod Blagojevich

William Ayers

Yeah... "Change"

Puckstop31
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Well, I bet ANY of us who did not major in Journalism could do a better job of getting the TRUTH out there than the people who did. Also, remember that education and wisdom are vastly different things.

Catty1
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I mentioned that only because I detected - and have before - a definite bias in blue's comments when it comes to Obama.

Okay - he doesn't like the guy, didn't vote for him, whatever - fine. But that also means that any news that runs counter to his 'proof' is not going to be mentioned.

I have known several people that wound up in jail. So? (yes, I am not running for public office, but guilt by association is ridiculous at any level).

Journalists are not unbiased either, but they are trained to TRY to be. (that can change depending on the slant of the editor/manager of the venue one works for).

Puckstop31
12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I have known several people that wound up in jail. So? (yes, I am not running for public office, but guilt by association is ridiculous at any level).

Guilt by association? No. Suspicion by association? You bet.

Would you not agree the following quote is pretty accurate?

"Show me your friends and I will show you your future."

Grace
12-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Would you not agree the following quote is pretty accurate?

"Show me your friends and I will show you your future."

No, I would not agree with that statement.

Lady's Human
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Here's the reason I posted the link to the article:

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

And it changes

(UPDATE #2: Axelrod this evening issued a statement saying. "I was mistaken when I told an interviewer last month that the President-elect has spoken directly to Governor Blagojevich about the Senate vacancy. They did not then or at any time discuss the subject.")

And then referring to the Illinois Gov. election campaign:

Emanuel told the New Yorker earlier this year that he and Obama "participated in a small group that met weekly when Rod was running for governor. We basically laid out the general election, Barack and I and these two."

Wilhelm said that Emanuel had overstated Obama's role. "There was an advisory council that was inclusive of Rahm and Barack but not limited to them," Wilhelm said, and he disputed the notion that Obama was "an architect or one of the principal strategists."

(An Obama Transition Team aide emails to note that Emanuel later changed his recollection of this story to Rich Miller's "CAPITOL FAX," saying, "David [Wilhelm] and I have worked together on campaigns for decades. Like always, he's right and I'm wrong.")

Now, these people are all in the public eye, all know they're under a microscpoe, but still they can't get their stories straight.

You think they might have had a meeting or two before this broke to get their lies together?

lizbud
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
The difference is Palin asked Stevens to step down before his trail was concluded, Barack is acting like nothing happened.

Obama is not a elected official of goverment, he has no authority to
do anything. It's none of his business.

lizbud
12-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Here's the reason I posted the link to the article:

And it changes

And then referring to the Illinois Gov. election campaign:

Now, these people are all in the public eye, all know they're under a microscpoe, but still they can't get their stories straight.

You think they might have had a meeting or two before this broke to get their lies together?

You are making a giant assumption that Obama knew the intimate
details about the Ill Gov's life, that Obama could have predicted the crimes.

Lady's Human
12-10-2008, 05:23 PM
No assumptions about anything, just wondering when Sen. Obama's counselors for change are going to get together and come up with a coherent story.

lizbud
12-10-2008, 06:26 PM
No assumptions about anything, just wondering when Sen. Obama's counselors for change are going to get together and come up with a coherent story.

Why do they owe anything to anybody?

Grace
12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
It appears that some here are in the same camp as Sean Hannity. Last night he was all but dancing with delight at the prospect of linking Obama with this mess. He basically ignored Karl Rove and Mike Huckabee who were not at all impressed with the supposedly damning evidence.

Do you really think Obama would be so stupid as to get involved in something so blatantly corrupt?

Looks like a case of Obama derangement syndrome.

Puckstop31
12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
It appears that some here are in the same camp as Sean Hannity. Last night he was all but dancing with delight at the prospect of linking Obama with this mess. He basically ignored Karl Rove and Mike Huckabee who were not at all impressed with the supposedly damning evidence.

Do you really think Obama would be so stupid as to get involved in something so blatantly corrupt?

Looks like a case of Obama derangement syndrome.

I am ALL for stringing ALL of them up. Our government stopped serving us decades ago.

And Grace, it is not a "derangement" syndrome. It's just the "R" side getting a chance to get their digs in. Imagine if this happened to a Republican. LOL

Obama has a clear record. Until he proves otherwise, I will be skeptical of anything he tries to do.

And for the record... Like it or not, who you choose to associate with and keep as friends says a GREAT deal about who you are.

blue
12-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Wrong election Blue.

I was surprised Blagojevich was elected the first time and shocked when he was reelected.

That is not the point.

You could have made a point by posting or linking stats from the right election.

Just looking for some basic logic here. Silly me.

Richard Nixon was a politician. From the state of California. He was a crook.

Ronald Reagan was a politician. From the state of California. Does that mean he was a crook?

That would be illogical and well...silly.

It appears that you guys are allowing your hatred of an administration that hasn't even started yet to cloud your judgement!

Speaking for myself, I am hoping and praying I am been wrong about Mr Obama. Am I holding my breath? No, I can still hope to be suprised.

Mr Obama and his transition team would have served his reputation by doing something other then taking multiple stands on the IL govs criminal actions.

blue
12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Obama is not a elected official of goverment, he has no authority to
do anything. It's none of his business.

While he is the President elect, is he not still the Senator from IL? As a cittizen and the State Senator could he not make a strong condemnation of the Govenors actions and call for an investigation because it is his, Mr Obama's, seat that the gov was attempting to "sell"?

blue
12-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Why do they owe anything to anybody?

Because they are representing the man who will take the most powerfull office in the world.

blue
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
blue, are you reporting this event the way you are to disclose information, or to confirm a prejudice?

Im not reporting anything, Im attempting to point out the inconsistancies of the posts of others.

I could just make a statement and not back it up as others repeately do here time after time, I chose to try to post the sources for what I find and let you and others come to their own conclusions.

Grace
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
It's just the "R" side getting a chance to get their digs in. Imagine if this happened to a Republican. LOL

It did - with the last Illinois Governor. He is serving 6.5 years in a Federal Prison.

Obama has a clear record. Until he proves otherwise, I will be skeptical of anything he tries to do.

Why would you be skeptical if he currently has a clear record?

Like it or not, who you choose to associate with and keep as friends says a GREAT deal about who you are.

Ah, but your previous comment was that your friends show you your future - not who you are at this moment in time.

Edwina's Secretary
12-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Im not reporting anything, Im attempting to point out the inconsistancies of the posts of others.

I could just make a statement and not back it up as others repeately do here time after time, I chose to try to post the sources for what I find and let you and others come to their own conclusions.

Yawn....

blue
12-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Yawn....

Would it be more exciting for you if I started making random unsubstantiated statements? If I started doing that I could make fun of you and others when you want to see the source of my information and belittle you for your lack of interweb search skills.

I guess in your eyes that would be fair play.

I dont give two Ds if the letter behind the gov of IL is D or R.

I want to see the facts, it seems you and others dont care.

Edwina's Secretary
12-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Would it be more exciting for you if I started making random unsubstantiated statements? If I started doing that I could make fun of you and others when you want to see the source of my information and belittle you for your lack of interweb search skills.

I guess in your eyes that would be fair play.

I dont give two Ds if the letter behind the gov of IL is D or R.

I want to see the facts, it seems you and others dont care.

Again...yawn....

Can you say something interesting? Or at least understandable?

blue
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Again...yawn....

Thanks for the confirmation.

I can edit too.

You got anything better?

Further edit: You really have nothing better then "Yawn" to show your point? Seriously? Do you have any facts to back up anything you post? Im assuming you make it up as you go along from this point foreward as you have rarely backed up anything you post with a source or fact.

Puckstop31
12-11-2008, 05:21 AM
It did - with the last Illinois Governor. He is serving 6.5 years in a Federal Prison.

A trend?

Why would you be skeptical if he currently has a clear record?

Because he is trying to talk like the guy he clearly has NOT been in the past.

Ah, but your previous comment was that your friends show you your future - not who you are at this moment in time.

<sigh>

Context matters Grace. You KNOW what I am talking about. Please don't go ES on me.

(Pulls pin - I regret even starting this thread.... I should have known better.)

Lady's Human
12-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Puck, just remember......when the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is NOT your friend.

Grace
12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Context matters Grace. You KNOW what I am talking about. Please don't go ES on me.

Oh, I was under the impression that it was a poster from Alaska who was the nit picker in these parts :confused:

lizbud
12-11-2008, 09:06 AM
While he is the President elect, is he not still the Senator from IL? As a cittizen and the State Senator could he not make a strong condemnation of the Govenors actions and call for an investigation because it is his, Mr Obama's, seat that the gov was attempting to "sell"?

Obama has already resigned his seat in the Senate. He is President elect,
but not President yet.

smokey the elder
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Technically, President-elect Obama is in political "no man's land". He's not a Senator anymore, and he is not the President, either. As is proper, IMO, he is focusing on what he needs in place to take his seat as President in January. What his "camp" and he say may or may not jibe, based on the date at hand at any given time. The motivation of the different stories might be lies, might be carelessness, might be ignorance. As someone once said (I forget the origin, but a character on Bablyon 5 used this quote):"Truth is a three-edged sword; yours, mine, and the real truth."

Grace
12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
This Governor is a real piece of work. His transgressions, and investigations by the FBI, go back years - long before Obama decided to run for President. I read that his father in law has barely spoken to him since 2005. Do you suppose it was Richard Mell, the f-i-l, who dropped a dime on him?

In 2005, Blagojevich's father-in-law, Chicago Alderman Richard Mell, accused the governor's adviser and fundraiser, Christopher Kelly, of trading state jobs and appointments for campaign contributions. That accusation, which Mell later recanted, launched several investigations.

_ Blagojevich's then-chief of staff personally approved people hired for such routine jobs as secretary, auto mechanic and film office intern, even though those jobs are supposed to be sheltered from political influence.

_ Blagojevich's own inspector general found that the governor's patronage chief and a state agency had engaged in a "concerted effort" to subvert hiring laws. At another agency, people were hired before it was determined what jobs they would fill.

_ The Blagojevich administration gave a $522,000 contract to a campaign contributor to clean, among other things, Transportation Department road-salt storage barns. The agency's finance director at the time was the brother-in-law of the company's owner.

_ In 2006, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald asked the state attorney general to back off her investigation and let his office pursue "very serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" in the Blagojevich administration.

_ Later that year, it was disclosed that Blagojevich's former campaign treasurer gave a $1,500 check to one of the governor's daughters a month before his wife started a $45,000 state job.

blue
12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Obama has already resigned his seat in the Senate.

Thank you, I did not know that.

blue
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh, I was under the impression that it was a poster from Alaska who was the nit picker in these parts :confused:

So wanting to keep things in context, and posting facts, and/or sources in a serious discussion is nit picking?

ETA: When you are a public elected official, your associates and aquiantenceships are going to be scrutinized or blown off. Those who lean towards liberal thinking are going to blow off the bad associations tagged to the elected official and those who are more conservative are going to rejoice and scrutinize to the same extreme Rush Limbaugh does. I am trying to learn to balance my own biases.

Edwina's Secretary
12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
As a cittizen and the State Senator could he not make a strong condemnation of the Govenors actions and call for an investigation because it is his, Mr Obama's, seat that the gov was attempting to "sell"?

Why did Gov Palin not call for Stevens resignation when he was indicted -- as citizen if nothing else? Why did she wait to call for his resignation until after he was convicted? Does that mean she is guilty of corruption too?

Gov Blagojevich is a crook and I am glad to see him get his.

I think the hyenas trying to paint others as corrupt because they hail from the same state or belong to the same party or shook hands are exhibiting rather desparate and illogical behavior.

blue
12-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Why did Gov Palin not call for Stevens resignation when he was indicted -- as citizen if nothing else? Why did she wait to call for his resignation until after he was convicted? Does that mean she is guilty of corruption too?

Gov Blagojevich is a crook and I am glad to see him get his.

I think the hyenas trying to paint others as corrupt because they hail from the same state or belong to the same party or shook hands are exhibiting rather desparate and illogical behavior.

Gov Palin asked Stevens to step down before the trial even started, not after the conviction.

I think its a bit more then being from the same state in Blago's case.

Lady's Human
12-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry, but one govenor in jail is a damned shame, but two governors in a row indicates that there's more than just the governor who's corrupt.

Add in Congressman Rostenkowski, and there's more than just an out of control governor in play here.

RICHARD
12-12-2008, 08:20 PM
It's an FN shame when you get to know who the LT. Gov, Attn. Gen., Senators and Congress folks are in one state because they cannot behave themselves.

I thought that when elephants in Lost Angeles were in trouble was a sign of the Apocalypse.....Hyenas?:(:rolleyes::eek:

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Gov Palin asked Stevens to step down before the trial even started, not after the conviction.

You might be interested in this YouTube from July 2008. Palin expressing her admiration for Stevens? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptTFDsktVQ

Or her comment on November 8 -- after his conviction that she would not tell him to step down because she "is not a dictator."?

Looks like you are right...it is more than just being from the same state! Some politicians go so far as to express admiration for indicted felons of the political persuasion!

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry, but one govenor in jail is a damned shame, but two governors in a row indicates that there's more than just the governor who's corrupt.

Add in Congressman Rostenkowski, and there's more than just an out of control governor in play here.

Don't forget Paul Powell...my personal favorite.

And...Illinois had two governors in a row who were NOT convicted of anything.:D

Of course...at the end of the day...what does the action of one person have to do with the qualifications of another person?

That is what you guys continue to avoid explaining....

RICHARD
12-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Two words.

FERRIS BUELLER

blue
12-13-2008, 09:32 PM
You might be interested in this YouTube from July 2008. Palin expressing her admiration for Stevens? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptTFDsktVQ

Or her comment on November 8 -- after his conviction that she would not tell him to step down because she "is not a dictator."?

Looks like you are right...it is more than just being from the same state! Some politicians go so far as to express admiration for indicted felons of the political persuasion!

Ive seen the video, Uncle Ted brought allot to the state over the years. Stevens wasnt convicted, he hadnt even gone to trial, when Palin was part of that joint statement expressing her admiration.

She "asked" him to step down before the trial, she couldnt order/tell him to do anything.

You are stretching your "logical" conclusions now.

blue
12-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Don't forget Paul Powell...my personal favorite.

And...Illinois had two governors in a row who were NOT convicted of anything.:D

Of course...at the end of the day...what does the action of one person have to do with the qualifications of another person?

That is what you guys continue to avoid explaining....

Because of Rep. Don Young's close association with Stevens Ild like to see him step down, I was sorry to see he was reelected. Young has recently stepped down from key comittees to try and clear his name from the fog of corruption implications, thats not good enough for me.

The actions of Stevens and his close relationship with Rep. Young are the same to me as the actions of those who Obama associated with, Obama was helped by and has helped, and who Obama closely worked with over the years.

A few of Young and Stevens associates are now in jail, a number of Obama's associates are in jail and indicted. Ild be a hypocrite to think Stevens deserves what he got and that Young deserves the same scrutiny, and think President Elect Barry should get a pass on his associations with criminals and terrorists.

RICHARD
12-13-2008, 09:58 PM
As someone once said (I forget the origin, but a character on Bablyon 5 used this quote):"Truth is a three-edged sword; yours, mine, and the real truth."

And the three questions that follow are

What is my co-pay?
HOW MANY STITCHES? and
How many days off do I get?:D

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Because of Rep. Don Young's close association with Stevens Ild like to see him step down, I was sorry to see he was reelected. Young has recently stepped down from key comittees to try and clear his name from the fog of corruption implications, thats not good enough for me.

The actions of Stevens and his close relationship with Rep. Young are the same to me as the actions of those who Obama associated with, Obama was helped by and has helped, and who Obama closely worked with over the years.

A few of Young and Stevens associates are now in jail, a number of Obama's associates are in jail and indicted. Ild be a hypocrite to think Stevens deserves what he got and that Young deserves the same scrutiny, and think President Elect Barry should get a pass on his associations with criminals and terrorists.

Yawn. Does Gov Palin get a pass on her association with criminals?

blue
12-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Yawn. Does Gov Palin get a pass on her association with criminals?

She has disassociated herself from senator Stevens, so what criminals is she still associated with? She still has to deal with state business with Rep. Young and he hasnt been charged with anything yet, so Im forced to give a pass there even though I dont like it..

So yawn, what criminals is Gov Palin associating with?

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2008, 11:01 PM
She has disassociated herself from senator Stevens, so what criminals is she still associated with? She still has to deal with state business with Rep. Young and he hasnt been charged with anything yet, so Im forced to give a pass there even though I dont like it..

So yawn, what criminals is Gov Palin associating with?

Disassociating yourself...AFTER the conviction...I would call that politics as usual!

I am sure she is terribly grateful for the pass you are giving her.

blue
12-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Disassociating yourself...AFTER the conviction...I would call that politics as usual!

I am sure she is terribly grateful for the pass you are giving her.

She asked him to step down, give up his seat, before the trial. How is that politics as usual? To be clear I mean Senator Stevens! As I was referring to Don Young as well.

ETA: With what Young has been dealing with Ild love to see Palin ask him to step aside.

Clif notes, Ild hate to give ES something to nit pick.

Gov Palin asked Senator Stevens to step down from his seat as senator before his trial started.

Rep. Young is still being investigated for corruption, and IMO Gov Palin needs to ask for his resignation, or at least to step aside.

cassiesmom
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Well ... the Illinois legislature decided to move forward with the impeachment process. They could decide to have a special election to replace Obama but that could take 4 to 6 months before it is all organized and put in place, so they might not go that route. I think they're hoping Blagojevich will resign, then Lt Gov. Quinn will take over and he'll get to make the selection. That way we would have a second Senator more quickly than a special election and the Democrats would be happy because they wouldn't lose their seat. I heard on the news that the U.S. Senate can also refuse to accept as a Senator someone Blagojevich selects.

Ryan, Rosty and now Blagojevich. Such integrity we have in Illinois politics!

lizbud
12-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I came across this commentary by a Political Science Prof. in Illinois. His
opinion of how this whole mess with Blogo was possible. I don't know if
any of this is true or false. I don't really know much about Illinois's political
culture, but it is interesting.

By Kent Redfield
Special to CNN

Editor's Note: Kent Redfield is director of the Sunshine Project, a research project focused on the role of money in Illinois politics and on political ethics in the state. He is a professor emeritus of political studies at the University of Illinois -- Springfield. Before joining the faculty, he worked for four years as a member of the research/appropriations staff for the then-speaker of the Illinois General Assembly, who was a Democrat.

Kent Redfield says new laws and better choices by Illinois voters could end the state's tradition of corruption.

SPRINGFIELD, Illinois (CNN) -- In the glow of his election victory in fall 2002, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich stood on the stage at the victory celebration held in the steel mill where his father had worked and promised "reform and renewal," and an "end to business as usual."

He told a public weary of the scandal surrounding former Gov. George Ryan that they had voted for change and that he intended to bring that change.

Instead, Blagojevich is likely to go down in history as a ringing example of the corrupting influence of money in politics and the failure of Illinois voters to demand change.

Three years earlier he had been an obscure Chicago congressman concerned about losing his seat through redistricting. He formed a state political committee and began raising money. Much of his early money came from businesses in his old congressional district, particularly in the Chicago ward controlled by his father-in-law, Alderman Richard Mell.

Because of his huge war chest, Blagojevich was the only candidate in the Democratic primary who campaigned statewide. After his primary victory, he continued to raise money at a staggering rate, $26 million in all. In the general election, Blagojevich constantly hammered on the need to end Republican corruption and restore the state's honor.

From the beginning of his first term, it appeared that Blagojevich wanted to be more than just the governor of Illinois. He hired a former Bill Clinton adviser to write his inaugural address and shape his public message. By promising not to raise taxes and to provide universal access to health care, he hoped to catch the eye of those beyond Illinois as a different kind of Democrat.

His dream was to be on a stage in November 2008, playing the role that turned out to be that of Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

It wound up that he did go national in 2008, but not in the way he had hoped.

Blagojevich's rhetoric and his leadership style caused problems in the state Capitol in Springfield immediately. He always presented conflicts over policy as morality plays. No matter what the issue, it was always "Sir Rodney the Good" vs. the forces of evil.

He loved to pull political surprises and demonstrated disdain for legislators. After winning a second term, he proposed a massive gross receipts tax on businesses as a way of dealing with the overwhelming deficit in the state budget without raising taxes on "the working people."

The idea had never been mentioned in the campaign or discussed with the legislative leaders before the speech. Ultimately, the proposal went nowhere.

In 2005, federal subpoenas began arriving at state agencies and the governor's office, looking into hiring practices and state contracts. Over the past three years, the governor has spent more than $2 million from his campaign fund on legal fees.

What saved Blagojevich politically in 2006 was his extraordinary ability to raise money. He raised $29 million, while his Republican opponent, State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka, raised less than $11 million. Blagojevich won a bare majority of the vote in a three-way race.

By spring 2008, most Illinois citizens had concluded the governor was doing a terrible job. His approval rating was at 12 percent.

Still, most people assumed we were stuck with him for two more years. The tapes described in the federal criminal complaint last week confirmed what many in Illinois had suspected for a long time. The real Rod Blagojevich has been running the state like a Chicago ward boss, according to the complaint.

In the end, he brought himself down by ignoring the reality of a federal investigation aimed directly at him. If he is convicted of a crime, we will be rid of him not because we exercised collective wisdom at the ballot box, but because he turned out to be an even more incompetent crook than he was a governor.

Gov. Blagojevich is the fifth of the last eight elected Illinois governors to be charged with a felony. If Blagojevich is convicted, we will have the unique distinction of having two former governors in jail at the same time. Why is this happening again? iReport.com: Do you trust your elected leaders?

Illinois has extremely weak campaign finance and ethics laws, with no limits on the amount of campaign contributions. The law that takes effect in January prohibiting contributions by people who already hold large ($50,000 or more) state contracts to the public officials who are responsible for awarding such contracts is a small first step.

But greater changes are needed. Limiting all contributions to $1,000 would make "pay to play" in the granting of state contracts or the selling of a U.S. Senate seat much less profitable or tempting.

Making corruption more difficult only takes you so far. People are more likely to obey the law if they believe it is wrong to break the law -- in addition to the chance they might get caught. We need to change the political culture in Illinois -- the attitudes and beliefs we share about the nature of politics. Too many Illinois citizens and politicians believe that politics is solely about power, winning and personal gain.

The charges filed against the governor only reinforce the idea that politics is and always will be a dirty business. But culture does change. The prominent role that racism has played in our national culture is slowly and begrudgingly giving way to new attitudes and beliefs and a new reality. Illinois' culture of political corruption does not have to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Two years ago, most Illinois citizens suspected what they now know about Rod Blagojevich. But on Election Day, fewer than 37 percent of the eligible voters in Illinois went to the polls and a majority of them elected him to another four-year term. In order to fix Illinois politics, we need to start by taking a long look at ourselves in the mirror.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Kent Redfield.

Grace
12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
My home state is well practiced in the ways of corruption, as evidenced in this article (http://www.projo.com/lifebeat/markpatinkin/Mark20_12-20-08_4TCLHT6_v16.1a2518f.html).

Edwina's Secretary
12-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I've also read this week that...per capita...Louisiana is even more corrupt with more convictions than Illinois. Done with even more hubris.

Sounds like Rhode Island can give them a run for the money (pun intended...)

Poor Illinois....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

RICHARD
12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Wah,

My state is more corrupt than anyone else's. All politicians are morons and the only time we show our crappy, underbelly is when we get a clip on CNN....

Boo Effing Hoo!

Edwina's Secretary
12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
The current govenor of Louisiana, Bobby Jindal, is being floated as a possible Republican candidate for president.

It will be interesting to see if the same folk who want to tar Obama with the corruption of Illinois politics will feel the same way about Jindal.

Or if it will be another case of...situational ethics!

Lady's Human
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
GOv. Jindal intrigues me, BUT....................

given the poitical history of the state (recent, at that) I'd be "concerned" with ethical questions.

Same with anyone out of Providence (I seriously doubt Buddy Cianci is the only pol in Providence with Mob ties) or parts of Boston. (Sen. Wilkerson, please, it's not racism YOU WERE CAUGHT STUFFING AN EVELOPE FULL OF BRIBE MONEY INTO YOUR BRA!!!)

While I doubt anyone is truly clean and pure as the wind driven snow, it amazes me the things politicians are given a pass on by the press and the public at large.

Lady's Human
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
As an aside....

TO the media and general public....

Can we at least wait until 2010 and a half or so BEFORE WE START THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION?????????????:mad::p:p

Edwina's Secretary
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM
As an aside....

TO the media and general public....

Can we at least wait until 2010 and a half or so BEFORE WE START THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION?????????????:mad::p:p

According to the article posted you will also need to worry about politicians from New York, Texas, Florida (especially Florida!), New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

As for waiting until 2010...you might want to tell more than just the media and the general public...Bobby was in Iowa making a speech recently.:D:D

Don't you think you might want to tell the Wannabes as well?

Grace
12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
. . . . . . . .

Same with anyone out of Providence (I seriously doubt Buddy Cianci is the only pol in Providence with Mob ties) or parts of Boston. (Sen. Wilkerson, please, it's not racism YOU WERE CAUGHT STUFFING AN EVELOPE FULL OF BRIBE MONEY INTO YOUR BRA!!!)

While I doubt anyone is truly clean and pure as the wind driven snow, it amazes me the things politicians are given a pass on by the press and the public at large.

Ah yes, Buddy Cianci. I wasn't living in Rhode Island while he was the Mayor. Anyone else read the book about him - Prince of Providence? Now he's out of prison, back in Providence, holding court once again. He even has a radio show on WPRO.

Life goes on . . . . .

Lady's Human
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I noticed that.

It's called an election CYCLE because there are supposed to be lulls between bouts of chaos.

cassiesmom
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Hello, Gov (Democrat) ... did you not learn anything from the whole corruption thing with Ryan (Republican)? And did you not think about your wife and children? You had an opportunity to do right in selecting someone to complete Obama's Senate term, and you blew it. There is going to be a special session of the Illinois House and Senate next week to come up with a way to separate him from the gubernatorial duty of appointing Obama's successor. I'm sure Lincoln and Reagan are turning over in their graves.

Blago held a news conference yesterday at his Chicago office and stated he has done nothing wrong. The state House has started impeachment hearings. The Lt. Gov. has quietly started assembling a transition team. The only one who is keeping mum about it is Da Mayor, who only says Blago should do what's best for his family and the people of Illinois.

And this from WLS News:
"Leave it to Chicago radio to come up with unique promotional events, this time at the expense of the state's troubled governor. Some passersby on Michigan Avenue braved the cold temperatures and had some fun throwing shoes at a life-size cut-out of Gov. Rod Blagojevich. The event was held just outside WGN Radio's Tribune Tower Showcase studio. The promotion was dubbed "Pay to Play & Throw a Shoe at Blagojevich." Participants had to make a donation to take part. All proceeds are being donated to the Neediest Kids Fund." Wish I'd been there!

lizbud
12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Quote: "And this from WLS News:
"Leave it to Chicago radio to come up with unique promotional events, this time at the expense of the state's troubled governor. Some passersby on Michigan Avenue braved the cold temperatures and had some fun throwing shoes at a life-size cut-out of Gov. Rod Blagojevich. The event was held just outside WGN Radio's Tribune Tower Showcase studio. The promotion was dubbed "Pay to Play & Throw a Shoe at Blagojevich." Participants had to make a donation to take part. All proceeds are being donated to the Neediest Kids Fund." Wish I'd been there! "

I'll bet they get lots of takers.:) It's for a great cause.

lizbud
12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Given the poitical history of the state (recent, at that) I'd be "concerned" with ethical questions.

I'm always amazed & constantly concerned with the "ethics" displayed
by GW Bush & his buddies.:mad: Read this article on the recent bank bailout
and how this country got royally screwed yet again.:mad:

Click on Washingto Post for the article.

http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com/2008/12/loophole-eliminates-limits-on-bank.html

Lady's Human
12-22-2008, 07:16 PM
The bank bailout was approved by Congress, who failed to appoint an oversight agency as rapidly as they passed the bill to hand out the money.

It's a cluster...........but to blame it solely on the executive is inaccurate. (There isn't much of Pres. Bush's domestic agenda I agree with, frankly it's time for a little chlorine in the political gene pool on all sides)

RICHARD
12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
(Sen. Wilkerson, please, it's not racism YOU WERE CAUGHT STUFFING AN EVELOPE FULL OF BRIBE MONEY INTO YOUR BRA!!!)

Hmmm,

I wonder if she went from an A cup to a C Note?:D

-------

Show me an ethical politician and I'll counter with an wimpy one term flash in the pan.

Everyone knows the worst politicians end up at the top of the totem pole.

lizbud
12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
The bank bailout was approved by Congress, who failed to appoint an oversight agency as rapidly as they passed the bill to hand out the money.

Did you actually read the article? provisions were included in the bill but
the last minute change by the White House, effectively negated the provisions made to moniter how it was spent. We could blame the Treasury
Dept., but the change was made as requested from Bush.

Executive Pay Limits May Prove Toothless
Loophole in Bailout Provision Leaves Enforcement in Doubt

By Amit R. Paley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 15, 2008; Page A01

Congress wanted to guarantee that the $700 billion financial bailout would limit the eye-popping pay of Wall Street executives, so lawmakers included a mechanism for reviewing executive compensation and penalizing firms that break the rules.

But at the last minute, the Bush administration insisted on a one-sentence change to the provision, congressional aides said. The change stipulated that the penalty would apply only to firms that received bailout funds by selling troubled assets to the government in an auction, which was the way the Treasury Department had said it planned to use the money.

Now, however, the small change looks more like a giant loophole, according to lawmakers and legal experts. In a reversal, the Bush administration has not used auctions for any of the $335 billion committed so far from the rescue package, nor does it plan to use them in the future. Lawmakers and legal experts say the change has effectively repealed the only enforcement mechanism in the law dealing with lavish pay for top executives.

Lady's Human
12-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Congress coud have refused the change, leaving the admnistration to try again.

The Executive CANNOT force Congress to write legislation.

Sounds like some people on the hill need to grow a spine. If the really wanted o get something done with oversight they should have found a compromise, built a veto-proof majority, and rammed the bill down the President's throat.

Karen
12-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Hmmm,

I wonder if she went from an A cup to a C Note?:D

Trust me, Richard, if you lived here, you'd have seen enough coverage repeated ad nauseum of Ms. Wilkerson to know it has been a long time since she was an A-cup.

lizbud
12-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Sounds like some people on the hill need to grow a spine. If the really wanted o get something done with oversight they should have found a compromise, built a veto-proof majority, and rammed the bill down the President's throat.

Like that would ever be a possibility with a majority of Republicans in
the current Senate. The fact that this is happining right in the middle of
Holiday leave time for Congress is not lost on anybody.:rolleyes:

If GWB were any kind of a real leader, he would have lead the way in
getting the economy back on track with sensible legislation instead of
sniping from the sidelines. Bush can't wait to kick this problem down the
road & let others clean things up.

Lady's Human
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Majority of republicans?

The dems have had the majority in the Senate since the last elections.

blue
12-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Majority of republicans?

The dems have had the majority in the Senate since the last elections.

Maybe Im being a tad cynical but Im seeing the House and Senate setting the President up for failure and failing, and Im seeing the President manipulating the House and Senate into failing. Or is it the other way around?

Either way Shrub has gotten what he has wanted time after time even with a Dem majority in the Congresional branch.

My brother is a Cook County resident, and a democrat, I wouldnt be suprised if he threw some shoes at Blago.

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Liz, Liz, Liz....NOTHING is GW's fault. It is always the fault of Congress for not making him do the right thing...(hmmmm like a nanny?)

So if Congress needs a spine, I guess Bush needs a brain...or at least a conscience!

Lady's Human
12-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Horse manure, ES.

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Back to the barnyard LH? :D

Lady's Human
12-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Nah, no quite. The manure pile is outside the paddock.

cassiesmom
12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Gov. Blagojevich made an appointment for Obama's senate seat this afternoon, Roland Burris. He is a former Illinois attorney general and comptroller. The afternoon news is saying that he won't be approved by the Senate democratic caucus. I wish they would just look at whether or not the appointee is qualified rather than who is doing the appointing.

Lady's Human
12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
At this point, how can you separate who is doing the appointing from the appointee? If you look at the makeup of the Senate, qualifications are pretty much a moot point.

cassiesmom
12-31-2008, 05:20 PM
At this point, how can you separate who is doing the appointing from the appointee? If you look at the makeup of the Senate, qualifications are pretty much a moot point.

That seems to be the problem from what they are saying on the news today. Anyone Blago picks, no matter how qualified, is going to have their appointment tainted by him. But he isn't inclined to resign, and the governor does get to make the appointment, so I don't know how this will be worked out. The African-American Democratic leaders in Chicago are saying the replacement should also be someone African-American.

cassiesmom
01-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Guess what? Blago was actually down in Springfield today, swearing in the Illinois senate. I saw a little clip of it on the evening news, and it was strange to watch him trying to conduct state business like nothing is wrong.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/090113/w011387A.html

cassiesmom
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Lynn Sweet's article in today's on-line Chicago Sun-Times. How dare Blago compare himself to Mandela, Dr. King or Gandhi.

"Impeached Gov. Blagojevich, on the first leg of his media blitz timed to the start of his impeachment trial, in an NBC interview broadcast on The Today Show Sunday compared himself to human rights heros Nelson Mandela, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi.

"On the press offensive, Blagojevich has lined up national interviews--NBC, ABC, "The View" to run as his impeachment trail starts Monday before the Illinois state senate in Springfield.

"Blagojevich, wearing a blue ivy league shirt, told NBC's Amy Robach that he has not prepared mentally for possibly going to prison. The impeachment was triggered by Blagojevich's Dec. 9 arrest on criminal charges, including trying to auction off President Obama's vacant senate seat.

"As Dec. 9 unfolded, Blagojevich told NBC, "I thought about Mandela, Dr. King and Gandhi and tried to put some perspective to all this and that is what I am doing now."

"Blagojevich is not going to participate in his defense because he says the rules are rigged against him. He will not be in Springfield for his trial; instead he will be doing nationally televised interviews.

"The governor told NBC that the state Senate trial will be so unfair, he could bring in "15 angels and 20 saints led by Mother Theresa" to testify on his behalf and "it wouldn't matter." "

lizbud
01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Did you see his news speech where he talked about cowboys & the
old West?:D

Edwina's Secretary
01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I spoke with my family in Illinois this weekend. They are so embarrassed.

I think it interesting...there was one desenting vote -- against impeachment.

It was Blagovich's sister-in-law -- sister of his wife!

Grace
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
From the Chicago-Tribune -

"Impeached Gov. Rod Blagojevich has hired a public relations firm. . . . Among the clients listed at the firm's Web site are former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson, who is suspected in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson. . . .

cassiesmom
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
From the Chicago-Tribune

"Impeached Gov. Rod Blagojevich has hired a public relations firm. . . . Among the clients listed at the firm's Web site are former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson, who is suspected in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson. . . .

Guess who I thought of when I heard this on the news? Richard! :eek:

cassiesmom
01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
The saga continues ... Even if Blago is removed from office, he does not lose his state pension. I think he should - I believe Gov. Ryan did.

Edwina's Secretary
01-29-2009, 02:08 PM
The saga continues ... Even if Blago is removed from office, he does not lose his state pension. I think he should - I believe Gov. Ryan did.

If Rod is convicted of a felony he too will lose his state pension. Fingers crossed!

Did you see Geraldo Rivera defending Blagovich???? Wow!!!!

Puckstop31
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69w0nTKLelI&feature=related

Glenn Beck takes it too him.

cassiesmom
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
The Illinois State Senate voted 59-0 to remove him from office and also that he could never again hold public office in Illinois. The lieutenant governor was very quietly sworn in, but they're going to ceremonially swear him in again shortly, so I'm sure that will be all over the late news.

I don't know if you can see it in this picture but the right-hand side of the sign says "Rod R. Blagojevich, Governor". I heard on news radio that these toll road signs would be removed tomorrow if in fact he was taken out of office. I'd like to go out and do it tonight!
http://info.illinoistollway.com/images/content/pagebuilder/10539.jpg

If something happens to the lieutenant governor between now and the 2010 election, the Illinois Attorney General is next in line and she has said publicly that she doesn't want to be governor.

K9soul
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm glad it's over and justice prevailed.

phesina
01-29-2009, 06:50 PM
If Rod is convicted of a felony he too will lose his state pension. Fingers crossed!

Did you see Geraldo Rivera defending Blagovich???? Wow!!!!

What on earth did Geraldo have to say in Blago's defense?

cassiesmom
01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Illinois ... Where our governors make our license plates ;)

Lady's Human
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Better than Boston.....

Boston's mayor ran the city from a jail cell for a while.

Karen
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Or Providence, no offense Rhode Islanders ... but Buddy Cianci springs to mind ...

RICHARD
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/25/10235074-conn-mayors-tacos-comment-in-latino-profiling-case-draws-outrage

One blunder on top of another?

The mayor of East Haven, Conn., came under a torrent of criticism Wednesday for telling a TV reporter “I might have tacos” when asked about how he would support the Latino community in the aftermath of the arrest of four town police officers accused of racially profiling and bullying Latino residents.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy called Mayor Joseph Maturo's comments "repugnant" and "unacceptable." An attorney for some Latinos suing the town police department called the comments “appalling.” Some residents said the mayor should step down.

------------------------------------

Words are nothing but words.

But, Tacos are 99 cents at Taco Bell, unless you get the 12 pak.

I think it's more offensive that he would not consider the 'special' you get beans and rice with your tacos.:)

cassiesmom
10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
I will be very glad when this election cycle is over. Some of the TV and radio commercials for the different congressional candidates are attacks against their opponent, either their political, business or sometimes even their personal life. Candidates, I wish you'd use those spots to tell me why I should vote for you instead of your opponent. The ones between Joe Walsh and Tammy Duckworth seem particularly nasty to me and they've gotten worse the past few days. 14 days till the election. I find that I'm avoiding the television so I don't have to see the ads. I should listen to CD's in the car, too, instead of the radio.

cassiesmom
11-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Well... Jesse Jackson, Jr. has submitted his resignation and acknowledged that he is under investigation. Only in Illinois. In any other state he would have not run again and someone else would be making arrangements to take over his district right now. But not in Illinois -- he was re-elected despite barely mounting a campaign, so now there will be some kind of special election to replace him, and people who didn't run for the office on the November ballot will try to get it now. We might be the Land of Lincoln but I think we are also the land of SNAFU politics.

cassiesmom
10-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Once again, candidates for Illinois governor - I need you to tell me where you stand on the issues and what you plan to do to help Illinois improve. I've heard more than enough of you bashing one another. The election is a little over 3 weeks away. I missed the first debate because of choir rehearsal. I'd like to write in "none of the above"! Please help me here.

Lady's Human
10-11-2014, 05:36 PM
When disgusted by both major candidates in a race I normally pick the green or the libertarian and vote for them. Not sure how it works in Il, but in Federal elections if a party gets over a certain % of the vote they become eligible for matching funds.

Karen
10-11-2014, 08:23 PM
When disgusted by both major candidates in a race I normally pick the green or the libertarian and vote for them. Not sure how it works in Il, but in Federal elections if a party gets over a certain % of the vote they become eligible for matching funds.

I am probably faced with that in the upcoming gubernatorial election here in Massachusetts.

cassiesmom
10-13-2014, 03:32 PM

There is a Libertarian candidate, a young guy from Peoria. The Chicago Tribune has endorsed the Republican candidate which they almost always do. They did endorse Obama in 2008 and again this past election, though. The next debate (second of 3) is tomorrow. I'd like to see this young guy beat both the Democrat - our current governor and the Republican. That would bring big changes to Illinois. The governor is threatening tax increases between election day and the new year, but the Republican is so wealthy and connected that he's out of touch with the middle class.

cassiesmom
11-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Rauner (Republican)- 1,757,569; Quinn (incumbent, Democrat)- 1,589,993; Grimm (Libertarian)- 117,060. This is with 99% of precincts reporting. However, Gov. Quinn declined to concede last night and is still not doing it today. Only in Illinois!

Lady's Human
11-05-2014, 04:14 PM
You have to make sure all the "nontraditional" voters are counted and heard from. You know, the dead ones, the documentation challenged immigrants, each person residing in the head of someone with multiple personality disorder...

Karen
11-05-2014, 05:30 PM
You have to make sure all the "nontraditional" voters are counted and heard from. You know, the dead ones, the documentation challenged immigrants, each person residing in the head of someone with multiple personality disorder...

At least in Boston, the news made a point of mentioning that Mayor Menino, the beloved 20-year mayor who just passed away from cancer right before the election, had already voted as he cast an absentee ballot, but as he died before the election, it would not count.

cassiesmom
02-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Dear Governor Rauner: I get that the state budget is a mess. I heard you say it got that way because of your predecessor. However, there are some problems now that you can make serious points with Illinoisans by getting right. A lot of low-income families utilize subsidies for child care. I agree that it would be great if this weren't necessary, but the problem at the moment is that the state has run out of funds to pay for these services. Also, there is an imminent shortfall with respect to the department of human services - which provides services to people with serious mental illnesses and developmental disabilities. Again - although it would be lovely if the need for these services didn't exist, this is life and there are individuals and families depending on this kind of support. So please, get with the state legislature and figure out a way to keep the funds flowing for now. As the economy improves, you can look at ways to make the state budget work better. Workin' folks in Illinois utilize these services. You can make a favorable impression with the average Joe Lincoln by quickly working this out.

Lady's Human
03-17-2015, 03:57 PM
And another Illinois politician down in flames:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/aaron-schock-resigns-116153.html

Can you guys find anyone honest to elect? :p

cassiesmom
03-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Can you guys find anyone honest to elect? :p

Naah. It's no fun in Illinois when our politicians are honest. We haven't had a good politician scandal in the news for nearly a year, since the guy from Elgin was convicted on child pornography charges.

cassiesmom
03-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Well... Jesse Jackson, Jr. has submitted his resignation and acknowledged that he is under investigation. Only in Illinois. In any other state he would have not run again and someone else would be making arrangements to take over his district right now. But not in Illinois -- he was re-elected despite barely mounting a campaign, so now there will be some kind of special election to replace him, and people who didn't run for the office on the November ballot will try to get it now. We might be the Land of Lincoln but I think we are also the land of SNAFU politics.

Jackson Jr. was released from federal prison today and driven by his family to a halfway house. It's being reported that he will only be kept there for a matter of days and then will go to his family's home in the Washington, D.C. area. His wife also has a pending prison sentence but her lawyers are trying to get it postponed or waived outright. The Blagojevich family is upset because former Gov. Blagojevich is still in prison in Colorado.