PDA

View Full Version : I saw the most beautiful white squirrel!!

moosmom
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I was coming back from the grocery store and I had stopped at a stop sign. There in front of me digging up nuts was a white, I believe they call them albino squirrels. He was beautiful!! He had a short tail. I tried to get a picture of him with my cellphone but couldn't get close enough.

Catlady711
12-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Cool!

Can't say as I've ever seen an ALL white squirrel but last summer we had several with varying amounts of white on the tail. One had an ALL white tail, but the rest of it was normal fox squirrel color. Unfortunately I never got a pix of that one. I did get a pix of the one with the blotches of white on it.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/IMG_1862.jpg

Casper
12-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Very neat! :) I have always wanted to spot an albino (or even piebald) animal in the wild. I have been interested in them ever since I was little and saw a museum exhibit about albinism in animals.

Up in the part of Missouri where my family lives there was a completely white deer that frequently popped up on a family friend's property. Most hunters found the deer to be too beautiful to kill (ironic) and they were all too fond of it to take its life. About a month ago our family friend caught someone hunting on his land and found that the trespasser had killed the albino deer.
This evoked a riot and many people have threatened this person with his life if they ever catch him hunting on their land.

I think it is kind of neat that all the steadfast hunters grew so fond of an animal they normally kill. :-)

shepgirl
12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
My cousin spotted a white squirrel at his campsite so when itl came around to the deck he caught it. It's been living in a huge cage at his house for the past 3 yrs. The squirrel is blind and deaf. He comes around from vibrations when we move stuff in the cage. That was the reason my cousin caught him, he didn't think it would survive alone in the bush. They are very pretty, actually makes a cute pet.

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
There is a rather famous albino squirrel in a park in Washington DC near where I occasionally go to work. People have shown me cell phone photos of it and I have waited and watched but never seen it myself (it is not a park in which you would want to spend TOO much time.)

My parents had an albino pheasant on their farm. They fed it for a few years until a trespassing hunter took it for a trophy.:mad::mad:

Desert Arabian
12-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Here in Wisconsin, and I think most states, it's illegal to catch wild animals and keep them as pets. It's a good thing the albino squirrel is deaf and blind and not healthy. A healthy adult wild squirrel would make a TERRIBLE pet. Hopefully your friend doesn't get bit, it's incredibly painful - I know first hand - I got bit trying to rescue an injured one. Most albino animals do not survive in the wild, since they stick out like a sore thumb and have no camouflage they're easily targeted by prey animals. We do have a squirrel that lives in my neighborhood, he's been around for almost 2 years now. We also had an albino chipmunk living at the base of our tree in the backyard, but I believe it's no longer with us - haven't seen it for a long, long time. :(

Here are some bad quality pictures of our albino resident.
In our yard:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/desertarabian87/albino.jpg
Across the street in the neighbors yard:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/desertarabian87/albino1.jpg

carole
12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Aww squirrels are so darn cute, we don't have them in NZ, but i did see one when having a picnic when i was in cottonwood canyon in hobble creek in utah i think it was, many many moons ago lol,I so love them.:):love::love:

Alysser
12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I :love::love::love: ALBINO animals! ANY kind of albino animal, they are just so beautiful. I own an Albino Parakeet and even an albino fish, I've seen an albino squrriel in Washington DC, as well. Gorgeous animals, my local park has a half albino stuffed deer in our enviormental center who died of natural causes. Albino animals are so pretty!

Luckily, my budgie is not deaf or blind. We got her from Petco, I have yet to see another one there since.