PDA

View Full Version : Kia Swam at the Dog Park!

ramanth
09-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Yep.. the day after her very first boat ride, Andy and I took Kia to the Dog Park with a friend of our and his pooch Dreyfus. This was Dreyfus' first trip to the Dog Park.

The lake as gone down a bit and so there is more of a bank than used to be. Anyway..... Andy was standing on land near the dock and I was actually on the dock when suddenly SPLOOSH! Kia had ran past Andy and waded into the water. But instead of getting out, she started swimming out deeper along side the dock. Next thing I know, I'm walking the length of the dock, encouraging her until we made it to the end and she climbed up the ramp, extremely pleased with herself.

She did this...4 times I believe.

Then I decided to see if she'd fetch in the water off the dock. Andy and Mike found me a stick. I went to the ramp and tossed it in. A moments hesitation... then SPLOOSH! She swam to get the stick and brought it back. She did this numerous times, each time a little farther out.

I'm now going to invest in water toys. :D

And next time I'll take pics. LOL!!

Fett
09-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Yes! It was so cool! From the first time we went there and Kim literally bumped Kia off the dock into the water a few times until now, when she'll wade in herself and actually swim by herself. That's the first time I've seen her attempt it without Kim being in the water with her.

Another great thing is that when we all entered the path to the water area, Kia and Dreyfus ran ahead and Kia went down into the water by herself, before we humans even got up to the water area!:D

Dreyfus is a little over a year old and wouldn't go into the water yet, so Mike did the same thing Kim did and literally dumped him off the dock a couple times. LOL

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-16-2002, 02:16 PM
That's great news!! Dogs can have so much fun in the water!! I am glad that Kia has overcome her hesitation and will be able to enjoy swimming. I can't wait to see pictures next time.

You didn't mention how Dreyfus's trip was? Did he enjoy the Dog Park? Did he swim?

ramanth
09-16-2002, 02:26 PM
I think Dreyfus had fun. He did a lot more sniffing than running and playing. But I think he enjoyed being able to run loose elsewhere than besides his backyard.

He was like Kia was her first time. He didn't like the water much and would bark at Kia every now and then when she was in the water.

Tina
09-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Way To Go Kia! Sounds like you had alot of fun!

lovemymaltese
09-16-2002, 02:48 PM
I bet she had a great time. I wish Tango would enjoy the water, it's like torture for him to get stuck in rain.

Cincy'sMom
09-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Yeah Kia! Swimming's fun isn't it? Tell Mommy she should buy you a water Kong. It has a nice rope for throwing and it floats and everything!

ramanth
09-17-2002, 08:46 AM
Yep. A water toy with a rope will be a must. That way I won't lose it if she's unsure about going in.

I'm also going to get a canvas retrevier roll (it's what the Ranger had at the park). She really liked that toy.

tatsxxx11
09-17-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi Kia, Star here. I was high pawing all over the place when I read you finally took the plunge!:) And I'll gladly send you all my links to doggie water toys and accessories:D Next time make sure yer Mom takes lots a pics!:)