PDA

View Full Version : Ooo an egg!

king2005
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Formaly Cuddles, now Sweety, is anything but sweet hahaha

I thought the silly thing was stuck or was dying under the news paper as she had been under there for days. So I lifted the newspaper & she attacked me:eek: It scared the hell out of me at first as I wasn't expecting it, esp from her!

Well I wanted to know why she was sooooo inlove with this piece if newspaper... While being attacked I moved the paper & there layed an egg.

I had no idea how long it had been there, so I picked it up & it was nice & warm. I put it to a light & saw nothing. I don't think it is fertale as her & Bobbie are not paired. He wont allow her to get too close to him, but he has started singing right to her face :)

So I made her a nicer nest that she seems very pleased with. Its a long tuperware container with shredded paper that I got from work. I put it in the far left of the cage as that section is always covered (to prevent any draft from getting to the cage as its now cold here). She seems happy & she does leave the egg to eat & to say hi to Bobbie. But not for very long.

In a week I'll check the egg & if there is a spot, I'll have to drain it to prevent anything from developing. If her & bobbie pair & start breeding & I get a request from a friend for a baby, then I "might" allow one to hatch. But I have no interest in having them reproducing as that wasn't the reason I got her.

I'm thinking of getting one of those plastic rodent iglues for a nicer nest, as its roomy & there is no chance of her or bobbie pooping on the nest, or bobbie pooping on her. Even though he REFUSES to go anywhere near that side of the cage (smart bird) LOL :D But I think it'll be warmer & just make her feel safer with something covering/protecting her nest. + its on the ground as shes not good at climbing or flying.

I even put a plate full of food on the ground so she doesn't have to use too much energy to eat. I just need to find my rodent dish to fill with water for her.

I'm glade shes happy enough to actually lay an egg :)

ramanth
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
What a surprise! :D

lute
12-09-2008, 08:07 AM
What a cool shock!

king2005
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Make it 2!!

But after I cleaned the cage she refused to sit on them. All she wanted was to come out & attention. She didn't want anything to do with the eggs after that. The eggs were in her nest & all I did was remove the newspaper & clean up as much of the seed shells that I could with my hands (no bleach this time cause I didn't want them out of the cage for long cause of the eggs)...

So I think I did something wrong. I hope she wont lay more trying to replace those 2. My goal was to prevent that sort of thing from happening :(

Oddly enough Bobbie let me pick him up with no fight. I did my kisses to him while holding him & he was doing them back... I think having her as a friend is making him more happy & friendly as he sees me handling her all them time 7 she'll churp happily on my hand.

Husky_mom
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
WOW!.. an egg... well two... if things contiue she should lay eggs every other day...

if they havenīt mated... then they are not fertile... but if you donīt want to take chances.. you can either shake, freeze, boil or get fake eggs over the net or from a petstore...

I know from a very reliable source one baby hatched from a shaken, frozen egg... yes.. after all that he still hatched!!... he was truly a miracle... so if you donīt want to risk it get some fake ones... if you just remove them sheīll soooo replace them and that is a great calcium loss for her...

a rodent igloo is too small.. well at least for a mom and babies.. but if they are not hatching.. could work... but I would better suggest a wood nestbox for tiels... much roomy and comfortable...

then again that mght encourage Bobbie to fertilize her for further eggs... :rolleyes:hehe...

another way to discourage them s to increase dark time... and removing any nest looking items from the cage...

king2005
12-15-2008, 08:00 AM
WOW!.. an egg... well two... if things contiue she should lay eggs every other day...

if they havenīt mated... then they are not fertile... but if you donīt want to take chances.. you can either shake, freeze, boil or get fake eggs over the net or from a petstore...

I know from a very reliable source one baby hatched from a shaken, frozen egg... yes.. after all that he still hatched!!... he was truly a miracle... so if you donīt want to risk it get some fake ones... if you just remove them sheīll soooo replace them and that is a great calcium loss for her...

a rodent igloo is too small.. well at least for a mom and babies.. but if they are not hatching.. could work... but I would better suggest a wood nestbox for tiels... much roomy and comfortable...

then again that mght encourage Bobbie to fertilize her for further eggs... :rolleyes:hehe...

another way to discourage them s to increase dark time... and removing any nest looking items from the cage...

She layed a 3rd egg shortly after my last post. She still refused to sit on them.. She baiscally plopped the egg out & ignored all 3. So on Sat I decided to remove the whole nest as the eggs had been ignored for a week, & guess what happens.. she lays a 4th egg :( She is sitting on this one, but she not attacking me when I put my hands into the cage.. which is nice as she always hurts her messed up wing when she attacks me.

I'm not going to give her a nest this time, & I know Bobbie didn't fertalize the eggs as he still hates her haha.. its funny. She pours on the LOVE ME LOVE ME NOW!! He just bites at her & screams in her face LOL I think he thinks shes moving too fast in their relationship LOL

I also noticed on fri that she was REALLY thin.. I don't think shes eating the new food at all :( SO I filled a plate full of seeds & put that at the bottom of the cage for her.. she dove right in... I hope I can get her weight back up before she makes herself sick :(

Husky_mom
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
some tiels donīt mind or sit ont eh eggs until a considerate amount of eggs usually 3-4... this is so they all hatch around teh same time....

this is not that good... but you can increase fatty "junk" food for her to gain weight... sunflower seeds... they love them... and are just like chips and donuts.. haha...

let her have also some pasta and bread... and include a few green veggies the darker the green the better.. (just not too much lettuce as it gives them the runs :rolleyes: )

king2005
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
cooked or uncooked pasta?

Neither of them will touch veggies of any sort :(
I got her to eat some Banana, but she wont touch anything else

Husky_mom
12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
you can try both ways pasta...

broccoli is all I have made mine to eat...:rolleyes: such picky eaters... LOL

king2005
12-15-2008, 01:42 PM
you can try both ways pasta...

broccoli is all I have made mine to eat...:rolleyes: such picky eaters... LOL

Picky is right! lol
The only thing in the house that isn't picky is Axle.. He'd eat his own legs if given the chance lol He not very bright hahaha

king2005
12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
She layed #4 & #5 this week.

However today was very weird.. Bobbie was trying to sit on them. However he just doesn't understand how... he would roll them to his chest, then step on one & try to step on the other. That would cause them to roll so he would fall hehehe Then he kept rolling one to his chest & backing up.. he had his butt straight up in the air as he was too close to the wall hahaha

He still wont allow her near him, but he is opening up to her more & more everyday :)

king2005
12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
#6 arrive this weekend.

Shes very thin :(
I'm moving 40km Jan 1st & the birds will be the first to be moved over. I'll be keeping her in a seperate cage after the move in hopes I can fatten her up as she'll have less space to move, no perch (its too dangerous for "her" to have one in that cage) & all her food will be within a hops reach of food on her plate (I have a plate on teh bottom to make it easier on her as shes gimpy

Husky_mom
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
itīs been a while since first egg was laid... almost 15 days... eggs take about 18-21 days to hatch since they were sitted on.. usually when egg #3 is laid or so..

if you could candle them... (get in very dark room place lamp under egg so you can see "through".. this way you can make sure if any are fertile)... by this time you shoul be able to notice baby chicks or not....

if they appear "clear".. then they are definately just yolk, but if you see like half dark half clear it could well be a baby about to hatch ;)

keep her on food... offer her egg... scrambled Iīve found they love...

king2005
12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
itīs been a while since first egg was laid... almost 15 days... eggs take about 18-21 days to hatch since they were sitted on.. usually when egg #3 is laid or so..

if you could candle them... (get in very dark room place lamp under egg so you can see "through".. this way you can make sure if any are fertile)... by this time you shoul be able to notice baby chicks or not....

if they appear "clear".. then they are definately just yolk, but if you see like half dark half clear it could well be a baby about to hatch ;)

keep her on food... offer her egg... scrambled Iīve found they love...

Will do!

I totally forgot about the scrambled egg! I'll make 1 tonight & offer small amounts daily to help fatten her up. Hopefully Mr. Blabber Mouth will leave it alone, as he LOVES his new food & pigs out on it hehe

Question about Bobbie..

Hes ummmm really going at the stick in a VERY sexual mannor, I'm catching him doing that nealy every evening!!!! Is he doing that more often because shes in cycle? He still will NOT be friends with her, but she "wants him".

I did catch him chassing her off the eggs a couple times, & then laughed my head off while she ate & he was trying to sit on them.. He would put 1 foot ontop of 1 egg & then try to step on the other egg to get them under him. After he kept falling off the eggs (as they rolled under his feet) he tried to stuff them into his chest, but he didn't understand he needed to lift his chest up to get them under. So he kept backing up until he was tight against the wall & his butt was straight in the air HAHAHA

It was the funniest thing EVER!!! I couldn't get my camera in time though.

Husky_mom
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
what happened to the eggies??

king2005
01-11-2009, 10:01 PM
what happened to the eggies??

She still has 4 left so thats 9 in total!!!!!! I found 2 broken ones.

The birdies are at the new apt. They are not overly thrilled lol

Husky_mom
01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
if they arenīt non hatched by now.. itīs more likely they are unfertile.. they shouldīve hatched within 18-21 days since she first sitted on them... but hang on a couple days more for the last ones layed...

have you candled them??...

king2005
01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
if they arenīt non hatched by now.. itīs more likely they are unfertile.. they shouldīve hatched within 18-21 days since she first sitted on them... but hang on a couple days more for the last ones layed...

have you candled them??...

Non are fertile, YAY!!
I don't want little birdies lol

Husky_mom
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
awww.... too bad.. but good too so no worries in having lil babies you donīt want...

donīt sing victory too soon as she might lay a second clutch after sheīs bored with this one..

king2005
01-12-2009, 05:39 PM
awww.... too bad.. but good too so no worries in having lil babies you donīt want...

donīt sing victory too soon as she might lay a second clutch after sheīs bored with this one..

I hope that doesn't happen as she needs to put on weight