PDA

View Full Version : Teen girls charged in nursing home abuse

jennielynn1970
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
What the heck is wrong with these girls??? And they're likely to get a "suspended sentence", meaning no jail time??!! That's just disgusting!!! :eek: :mad:

Minn. teen girls charged in nursing home abuse

ALBERT LEA, Minn. – Two teenage girls who worked at a nursing home have been charged with abuse, accused of taunting, spitting on and groping residents who suffered from Alzheimer's disease.

According to the criminal complaint, filed Monday, 19-year-old Brianna Broitzman and 18-year-old Ashton Larson laughed earlier this year as they spat in residents' mouths, poked and groped their breasts and genitals, and at times mocked them until they screamed.

Broitzman and Larson, who worked as part-time aides at the home, have been charged as adults.

Larson's father disputed the charges against his daughter in a statement issued to and read on NBC's "Today" show Thursday.

"Not all of the charges are as they appear. Much of this has been distorted by the news media," Michael Larson said in the statement.

"My daughter was doing nothing more than performing the duties of her job."

No one answered the phone Thursday morning at Broitzman's home. There was no information in court records on attorneys for either teen.

Four other teens who worked with them at the Good Samaritan Society were charged as juveniles for failing to report the incidents.

A total of eight teens were allegedly involved in the incidents, but there was no record of criminal charges being filed against two of them.

Broitzman and Larson are charged with assault, abuse of a vulnerable adult by a caregiver, abuse of a vulnerable adult with sexual contact, disorderly conduct and failing to report suspected maltreatment. All are gross misdemeanors.

If found guilty, Broitzman and Larson "most likely will face suspended jail sentences and probation, so they'd have the threat of jail hanging over them if they get in more trouble," Freeborn County Attorney Craig Nelson told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.

The Minnesota Department of Health released a report in August showing that 15 residents with Alzheimer's disease or other dementia disorders were abused at the facility between Jan. 1 and May 1.

According to the complaint filed Monday, one of the aides said the group gathered at work or school to "talk and laugh about the incidents."

Mark Anderson, administrator at the Good Samaritan Society in Albert Lea, told WCCO-TV that the past few months have been difficult for the staff, the home's residents and their families.

"We are just really thankful that the proceedings are moving forward and hopefully can see some closure to this whole process," Anderson said.

lvpets2002
12-04-2008, 04:49 PM
:( How so horrible && disgusting.. Most Teens dont care about any respect or morals.. Most also learn from what they see at home..

caseysmom
12-04-2008, 05:40 PM
:( How so horrible && disgusting.. Most Teens dont care about any respect or morals.. Most also learn from what they see at home..

I think that is a pretty broad statement....there are lots of teens on here and I definetly think that the majority of teens have morals and respect.

Medusa
12-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I get scared when I read or hear of stories like this. In 20 years or so, that could be me in a nursing home. I can't even venture a guess as to why they did what they did. It's beyond cruel, it's scary.

Desert Arabian
12-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I read a news article on this earlier in the day that included the 8 page police report and was ready to vomit - the one posted is easier to read. I debated about making a thread on this topic, but I'm glad Jenn did instead. The article above didn't mention the fact that the girls also inserted their fingers in to patients rectums.

Karen
12-04-2008, 11:51 PM
I think this is what happens sometimes when families are scattered and children don't get to know elder generations of their own families - they grow up thinking that old people are somehow less than human, and society suffers for it.

Just like puppies, children need to be taught and socialized to a wide variety of human beings, and taught to respect them.

Medusa
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
I think this is what happens sometimes when families are scattered and children don't get to know elder generations of their own families - they grow up thinking that old people are somehow less than human, and society suffers for it.

Just like puppies, children need to be taught and socialized to a wide variety of human beings, and taught to respect them.

I think I agree w/you, Karen, but only to a point. Lack of respect is bad enough; these girls committed heinous acts. It appears to me that something deeper is stirring.

shepgirl
12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree with Karen but I also feel the same way Medussa feels...someday it might be us in a nursing home and this stuff makes me shudder. these teens should spend some hard time in jail, never mind probation, these acts are horrendous to say the least.
I also agree with lvpets2002--stuff like this is learned in the home, I've watched some pretty bad examples of bad parenting.
Luckily we have teens volounteering for nursing homes and they're all the greatest kids ever.

phesina
12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
That just about makes me ill even to think of it.

jennielynn1970
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I worked in an old folk's home when I was about 16 or 17. I loved working with the elderly. I can't imagine wanting to take advantage of them. I just don't understand that mentality. It's one thing if they lack respect, but this takes it to a whole new level, and if the judge is smart, he'll make sure they do jail time instead of just a slap on the wrist and a "be good girls" kind of thing.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh-my-gosh. I can hardly believe what I am reading here. This is just extremly sickening to me. :mad::(:(

Whisk_Luva
12-06-2008, 03:20 AM
This story is horrible :( I dont know how anybody could do that to anyone.... :(

:( How so horrible && disgusting.. Most Teens dont care about any respect or morals..

The 'most teens' part makes me very sad. Most teens DO care about respect and morals etc.
The news is covered with horrible things that they do, so its makes it look like all teens are all terrible people, but in reality its just a few. The news rarely shows the rest of the teens who try there best to be good people. Please dont judge us from what you hear in the media.

mustlovedogs
12-06-2008, 08:08 AM
That just makes me sick. How could anyone do that?! Honestly?! I mean really, that is just awful. Even the thought of that just makes me sick. :(

Alysser
12-06-2008, 09:02 PM

While it is horrible and digusting what they did, I really think that statement is pretty rude to say seriously. I hate when people make generalizations like that. I volunteer at an animal shelter, I worked all summer with adults and experienced many disrespectful ones, I think I respect adults, as long as they respect me that is. I don't care how old someone is, they don't earn my respect just because they're older then me, they need to be nice to me as well. I'm always polite to adults but when they're rude to me they don't get politness from me. It's just what they should expect. I never understood the statement "be nice to your elders". It should be "be nice to everyone". I really try to be nice to my parents but when they are rude or being stupid about something, I call them on it. I don't keep my mouth shut because they're simply older then me and this goes for all adults. I'll admit when I joined this forum in 2005, I was rude alot. I think I was stupid then but I have since come a long with respecting others opinions, etc. A majority of this forum is adults whom I respect all the time, because they respect me back. Adults who are rude shouldn't expect respect from kids simply because they are older. It shouldn't work like that.

It's not surprising someone said something like this, I experience stereotypes all the time. ESPECIALLY at work or at the shelter. Just because someone is an adult doesn't mean they have respect for others and morals. It's not only a "teen" thing.

blue
12-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Im finding that good and respectfull teens are becoming the exceptions in the news rather then the rule. A teen volunteering at anything isnt going to make the news, where teens abusing a cat or the elderly is. Teens helping out at a veterans home isnt going to make the news before the teens that paintball drunks late at night.

Stereo typing is a way of life. Im stereo typed every time I leave the house and have been for years, when I was younger it was becauyse I had a mohawk. Now its because I shave my head and have a large goatee, or I let my hair and beard grow out for months to where I make Grizzly Adams look civilized. Some parents see the tattoo on my forearm and stear their kids away for me, that I can understand.

No matter how enlightened we get we are still going to stereo type.

sparks19
12-06-2008, 10:02 PM
OMG this is so sad :( and unfortunately not unheard of

Brian and I both agree that IF we POSSIBLY can... we are going to do all we can to keep our parents out of nursing homes. I have heard and seen too many who treat the residents like garbage :(

I know there are good ones out there but I don't know if I could live with myself if I thought we found a good one and it turned out to be a horrible place and we didn't do all we could to keep them o ut of a nursing home.

I know... it's a big statement to make and we both REALLY hope and pray that we can come through on this. IF we can do it we will do our best to take care of them as they have cared for us all these years.

that's not to say all nursing homes are bad... they certainly aren't. there are GREAT ones out there... but I'm not sure I want to leave it to chance if we can care for them or get them a live in nurse or something.

Karen
12-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Sparks, I have had the experience of needing to put a loved one is a Nursing Home. In my case, it was my Great Aunt. Fortunately, she was still mentally somewhat "with it" - she and I visited every nursing home in our city, and one in the next city over, just in case. The one we chose was not the most expensive - that's no indicator. But they allowed and encouraged visitors at any time - this is important, and held activities to which families were invited a couple times a year.

There are things you can look for, in Aunt Bertha's case, she could no longer physically care for herself, and needed nursing care. She was in the end slipping some mentally as well. And for the most part she liked it there. The staff treated the patients with respect, and were always nice. They allowed me and others to visit, spent time with Aunt Bertha, and she was never mistreated.

While nursing homes are to be avoided, they sometimes are necessary, and can be good places. Just do research ahead of time, okay?

caseysmom
12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
This is one thing I really don't like about our culture in the U.S., our treatment of our elderly, I guess with lots of the wives working it has become a necessity but it is pretty sad.

sparks19
12-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Sparks, I have had the experience of needing to put a loved one is a Nursing Home. In my case, it was my Great Aunt. Fortunately, she was still mentally somewhat "with it" - she and I visited every nursing home in our city, and one in the next city over, just in case. The one we chose was not the most expensive - that's no indicator. But they allowed and encouraged visitors at any time - this is important, and held activities to which families were invited a couple times a year.

There are things you can look for, in Aunt Bertha's case, she could no longer physically care for herself, and needed nursing care. She was in the end slipping some mentally as well. And for the most part she liked it there. The staff treated the patients with respect, and were always nice. They allowed me and others to visit, spent time with Aunt Bertha, and she was never mistreated.

While nursing homes are to be avoided, they sometimes are necessary, and can be good places. Just do research ahead of time, okay?

Oh of course... I understand that.

my great grandmother couldn't WAIT to go to a nursing home... SERIOUSLY lol. she was so excited about it and loved it there... although until the day she died (at 89 I believe) she only lived in the assisted living area instead of the full care area.

My grandparents on my fathers side will probably never ever be in a nursing home... they are 85 and 90 and still live in their own apartment and do all their own errands and everything. it's rather amazing lol.

So I'm not poo pooing nursing homes all together... I just don't want to have to put my parents or Brians parents somewhere if they don't want to be there or don't HAVE to be there.

Alysser
12-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Im finding that good and respectfull teens are becoming the exceptions in the news rather then the rule. A teen volunteering at anything isnt going to make the news, where teens abusing a cat or the elderly is. Teens helping out at a veterans home isnt going to make the news before the teens that paintball drunks late at night.

Stereo typing is a way of life. Im stereo typed every time I leave the house and have been for years, when I was younger it was becauyse I had a mohawk. Now its because I shave my head and have a large goatee, or I let my hair and beard grow out for months to where I make Grizzly Adams look civilized. Some parents see the tattoo on my forearm and stear their kids away for me, that I can understand.

No matter how enlightened we get we are still going to stereo type.

That doesn't mean we need to put up with it. I certainly don't.

blue
12-07-2008, 01:05 PM
That doesn't mean we need to put up with it. I certainly don't.

Your part of the exception.

Flatcoatluver
12-07-2008, 01:32 PM
This is so sick and sad, no doubt about it those kids got off with nothing.

As a volunteer at 2 nursing homes and I have a great grandmother in one of them, it saddens me but then again I am not surprised. Looking back to when I was in high school (only a couple years ago) I could think of some students that were the exceptions that would do something so low like this. But then again, I know that they have been in and out of jail since they have graduated.