PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cards

wolf_Q
09-16-2002, 01:57 AM
I know this is very early to post this, but I am just curious. I wasn't active here last Christmas, so I have no clue if you guys did anything or not. I did a Christmas Card thing on another list last year, and it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed getting cards from all over the world. :) I was just wondering if anything like that happens at Pet Talk, or if it doesn't already, if anyone is interested in that??

Uabassoon
09-16-2002, 02:05 AM
I think that sounds like a really fun idea. I would love to be a part of that.

Ann
09-16-2002, 04:03 AM
I started a Christmas card sending thingy on another site I am on, but it was kind of an dissapointment. I sent a lot of cards but I didn't get many at all :(

anna_66
09-16-2002, 08:36 AM
I love getting and sending cards:D

Count me in FOR SURE!

turner
09-16-2002, 09:09 AM
That is a terrific idea!!! I would love to do it.

Count me in too.

C.C.'s Mom
09-16-2002, 09:13 AM
Count me in!

Even though it's very early to even think about Christmas (I already got a shock last week when I saw that the supermarket already displays Christmas cakes and cookies, together with Halloween stuff).

sammi
09-16-2002, 09:50 AM
We had a Christmas card exchange on here last year. Not sure if that one will cont. this year or not. I got cards back from everyone I sent to except 2.

TheAntiPam
09-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Hmmmm, cat people exchanging cards with dog people??? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sounds wonderful to me! Count me in!

zippy-kat
09-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Yes ma'am I would be interested.

Another member and I were the ones who kept tabs on everyone's address last year. (I sent everyone a list via email.)

While I agree that it's a bit too early to begin, I'll put my name in as a volunteer for collecting the names/addresses again.

Nomilynn
09-16-2002, 11:04 AM
I would like to do that as well :)

And I don't think it's too early at all.. I bought two Christmas gifts AND four packs of cards on the weekend! :D

Randi
09-16-2002, 11:08 AM
I wasn't here last X-mas, but this sounds like a good idea, so count me in! :D I too love sending cards and getting them! :)

pupper-lover
09-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Just wondering . . .

Are you talking real cards (the paper kind) or e-mail cards?

koxka
09-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pupper-lover
Just wondering . . .

Are you talking real cards (the paper kind) or e-mail cards?

I was wondering the same.
You can count on me , either, real or virtual cards. It sound pritty fun :p

lovemymaltese
09-16-2002, 02:41 PM
I wasn't very active last Christmas either.

Aspen and Misty
09-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Ooooo Count me in. Please :D I owudl love to do somethign liek this! All the pet talk people. Yipee!

Cincy'sMom
09-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Sounds like fun to me!

Logan
09-16-2002, 04:41 PM
I want to do it. I had so much fun last year, and still have my "wall of honor" posted in my utility room (right by the back door, so Honey and Lilly can see it everytime they go outside). I actually went out and bought a HUGE bulletin board to put all the precious pictures and cards on. We love it!!

Now, please understand that I am not only having to move by October 15, but also am getting married on Dec. 21 and doing all the stuff that goes with that. You might get a New Year's card, instead of a Christmas card, but my card, with picture intact, will arrive at some point, even if it is in 2003.

Just let us know who to send our address to (I'll have a new one in a month), and I'll love participating again!!

Logan

Karen
09-16-2002, 05:20 PM
A friend of mine's Dad used to mail his cards sometime after Christmas, usually between the 25th and January 3rd or so. He called them "Epiphany cards" and said, "Hey, the Wisemen didn't get there over night, either!"

I would love to participate again this year! :)

sammi
09-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Oh sure Logan, you just think that all thats "busy" work! Getting married, moving,Christmas - its a breeze! LOL

Easy way to move is to get all your party type friends together (if you don't have any of these friends just go to the local pub and round a bunch up) Buy "SEVERAL" cases of beer and they will move you in a flash! Though you may loose half your stuff think of the fun.:D :D :D

Uabassoon
09-16-2002, 06:23 PM
I usually go to Texas for a week or two around xmas time. So you may be getting my x-mas cards really early or really late from me :) But I would love to take part in this. College kids love getting mail it means we get to put everything else off for a little bit and read our fun mail.

NoahsMommy
09-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Last year was so great! My hubby and I were amazed at how many cards we got and covered our wall with. It really made the holiday.

So YES, I want to do it too!

BTW, we sent paper cards and some had pictures in them... :)

sirocco
09-16-2002, 07:00 PM
Oh, yes, please!!!! Count on me too!!

I love sending and receiving Christmas Cards (my mommy is English - how couldnīt I love that tradition? :) ) but here in Spain it isnīt so popular as it is in England, so I always miss a few more cards in my wall!!! Iīd love having some from you this year!! Itīs been a hard year and this site and its people and PETS have been a steady break when I needed it, even if I havenīt been able to post as much as I would like!!

Nita

Miss Meow
09-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Sounds like a brilliant idea. Count me in!

Logan
09-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by sirocco
Oh, yes, please!!!! Count on me too!!

I love sending and receiving Christmas Cards (my mommy is English - how couldnīt I love that tradition? :) ) but here in Spain it isnīt so popular as it is in England, so I always miss a few more cards in my wall!!! Iīd love having some from you this year!! Itīs been a hard year and this site and its people and PETS have been a steady break when I needed it, even if I havenīt been able to post as much as I would like!!

Nita

I would love to have you on my list, Nita!!! I thought sending cards internationally was great fun!!!! :)

wolflady
09-16-2002, 07:46 PM
Yes! Count me in too!! :) It was so much fun last year and really neat to get so many wonderful cards from all the wonderful people on this board. Maybe I can get started early this year and get them all out on time this time :rolleyes: :D

Lots of love to you all!

NoahsMommy
09-16-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Yes! Count me in too!! :) It was so much fun last year and really neat to get so many wonderful cards from all the wonderful people on this board. Maybe I can get started early this year and get them all out on time this time :rolleyes: :D

Lots of love to you all!

hee hee, me too...I often wonder how long it took for the cards to Canada to arrive. :eek:

Rottieluver45
09-16-2002, 07:53 PM
That would be fun!! :D

Nomilynn
09-16-2002, 09:18 PM
hee hee, me too...I often wonder how long it took for the cards to Canada to arrive. :eek:

Usually mail between the US and Canada takes about 7 business days. However, at Christmas time it takes much longer!!! :D I always like to have my cards sent out early because I always go away fro Christmas - usually sent out by December first. But I have been thinking about this card idea all day and I think it would be SO fun! I said it before but please COUNT ME IN!!!! :D :D :D

shais_mom
09-16-2002, 10:46 PM
We had both lists last year.
We had a virtual card list for those that didn't want to pass out their snail mail address or didn't want to send internationally.
Count me in again!! I loved it!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-16-2002, 11:37 PM
I really enjoyed it last year and you can count me in too.
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

gini
09-16-2002, 11:45 PM
"Me too! Me too!"...........says Rascal

(oh, yeah, right, Rascal, just because you are the "feature" of my Christmas card for 2002 - you want THE WORLD to receive them).

wolf_Q
09-17-2002, 12:34 AM
OK I guess that is YES!! lol. Yeah I was talking about real *snail mail* cards. :D We'll have to organize a Christmas committee to get it all working lol. I think the addresses should be emailed to somebody then sent to everyone else....definitely not posted online. :)

AmberLee
09-17-2002, 01:42 AM
Yes, I would like to participate this year. :D There were two projects going on at Christmas time last year and I thought the talk of 'Christmas Cards' was a secret cover for the other project. :o By the time I caught on that there were physical cards and photos being sent ... too late! :(

Oh, well, I'll be ready this year!

09-17-2002, 02:53 AM
COUNT ME IN TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love getting lots of cards , i always hang them on a ribbon !!

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/santa2.gif

Former User
09-17-2002, 02:59 AM
Count me in too.

And I can keep track of the address if no-one else can. I love these kinds of things.

Have to note though, that there's NO WAY in the world I can afford to send cards to all the people on the list :( Just have to be the closest ones I *really* know here at PT.

C.C.'s Mom
09-17-2002, 03:05 AM
I know Niina, it's always getting very expensive to send cards. Especially sending them internationally. From Germany to the USA it's 1,53 Euro for a normal card with envelope. When we send out our cards to the US (many of our relatives live in the US and Canada), we always have to take a deep breath and post them. It's so expensive.

So, for the snail mail I have to limit my cards too :(

lynnestankard
09-17-2002, 04:40 AM
Great Idea - include me in too!! But as Niina and Brigitte say - it's going to be very expensive to 'snail' mail the states - would people be offended if they received ecards instead?

Lynne

Randi
09-17-2002, 05:46 AM
Niina & Brigitte! If that's the price for one card, you're right, it would be rather costly, so perhaps as Lynne suggest, we can send e-cards to some. I certainly would not be offended! :D

Ps. I just checked. It looks like a letter less than 20 g is 0,67 Euro
and up to 50 g it is 1.68 in DK. That's to outside Europe, not too bad!

C.C.'s Mom
09-17-2002, 05:48 AM
German mail is expensive. Last year we mailed from the Netherlands instead. Much cheaper and faster.

anna_66
09-17-2002, 06:07 AM
I love getting ecards too! I just print them out and hang them with my other cards:D I would love to get (or send) either, as I know it is very expensive.
This sounds like so much fun:D Did I hear someone say they got pictures with some of the cards also? Oh, that would be awesome, I love sending pics with my cards.

gini
09-17-2002, 08:40 AM
Last year ZippyKat (Tonya) was kind enough to make a separate list of addresses and then she privately emailed them to us.

I have to tell you that when the first Christmas card arrived and it had a picture of our MIZ SOPHIE enclosed I just sat down and hugged it.

It was so much fun getting cards from all of the people at Pet Talk that you have gotten to know and love.

But - our list has grown and happily we have many people from around the world and it can become expensive. An e-card that costs nothing, would be no less fun than receiving a printed one in the mail.

Cookiebaker
09-17-2002, 09:02 AM
I would love to be in on this too! However I am a little paranoid about giving my home address out (long story). But if it's e-cards, I am definitely interested!!!! :D

Albea
09-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Yes, count me in, last year I received as many cards as I sent to Pet Talk friends. However, this year my cards may be very late or just arrive by e-mail.:( Unlike Logan, I'm not moving or getting married;) but from September to February, because of membership renewals and holiday donations, it is the very busy season for Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue. Since my volunteer job is to send "thank you" notes to all donors, that means 200 to 300 pieces of mail a week It's wonderful for the Goldens awaiting adoption and YGRR is growing fast, over 3,000 members and counting...
As you well know (and understand) the pups come first in my schedule. So, if I'm late or you don't get a real card from me, you will know why.

wolf_Q
09-17-2002, 10:31 AM
I think when we organize all of this, the information we email to the appointed person should be this:

Name
Address
Email Address
Pet Talk ID
Pets names and breeds

That way you can send real cards to some, and e-cards to others, as long as you send something to everyone!! :) I'm going to be sending snail mail cards to as many as I can afford, because I like them better. :D

jackiesdaisy1935
09-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Would it be better to have two lists, the e.mail list for those who don't or can't send regular christmas cards and one for regular cards, I think I worked with Zippy-Cat last year and there were two lists.
The one list was for people who wanted to send and receive christmas cards, and another list for those who def. wanted to send and receive e.mail cards.
Jackie

sammi
09-17-2002, 10:56 AM
I might be intrested again - it was so fun last year! Yes, Jackie the 2 lists worked out last year with you and Zippy doing it. With 2 lists also you don't need to give out your home add. for e-mails. That is a big concern for many with good reason. Getting pictures was so neat! I need to send some this year for sure.

gini
09-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Jackie, good idea. Many people are understandably reluctant to give our their real names and addresses!

wolf_Q
09-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Yeah, you have a point Jackie. It wouldn't really be fair if somebody sent out a bunch of snail mail cards and only received e-cards in return.

We should have 2 lists, one for e-cards and one for regular cards. I guess you could be on both lists if you wanted! :)

wolflady
09-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by gini
"Me too! Me too!"...........says Rascal

(oh, yeah, right, Rascal, just because you are the "feature" of my Christmas card for 2002 - you want THE WORLD to receive them).

OMG OMG! How cool is THAT??! :D :D Marius and Scooter are jealous and now they want to be featured on the Christmas cards this year! LOL Marius was quite upset that the cat on the card last year looked more like Scooter, so this year it's his turn... :rolleyes: I will be sure to include pics this year too! What fun! :D

Ann
09-18-2002, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wolf_Q
I think the addresses should be emailed to somebody then sent to everyone else....definitely not posted online. :)/QUOTE]

Well LOL when I did this on the other website, everyone (including me) just posted their address right there in the forums. I understand that alot of people follow the "don't talk to strangers and don't tell anyone anything private" codex, but I've never really worried about it. Maybe that's really stupid of me, but I guess I've never thought it was realistic that someone would come knocking on my door thanks to me posting my address online.

wolf_Q
09-18-2002, 10:56 AM
Well because of Pet Portraits I obviously have to give out my name and address to a lot of people. It doesn't bother me at all. But this is an open forum, and it bothers a lot of people. I don't think any of you guys are going to do anything (duh!)...but I have met some rather....odd......people on the net in the past lol....

zippy-kat
09-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
but I have met some rather....odd......people on the net in the past lol....

;) Are speakin' of me, Wolf_Q? lol

I'd be happy to collect addresses again--does someone else want to do the ecard list?

And Miz Gini, I didn't know Sophie's card was the first one you received!!! How fun!!!

aly
09-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Tonya did a great job organizing last year! And I REALLY enjoyed all the cards I got.

I promise I'll get my address right this year guys (HEHEHE!!!!)

wolf_Q
09-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Are speakin' of me, Wolf_Q? lol

LOL no I'm speaking of a chinese fellow from Canada who believed he was a dragon. He was afraid of the dark, and often wore high heels. He even showed me a picture of them, their name was "Strappy." hehee I'm not kidding here! I have many other strange people I have talked to.....I think that's why I don't go into chat rooms anymore!!

I'll collect the e-card list if you want me to, it doesn't matter! :)

Karen
09-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Hey, I have an idea - for Niina and others from Europe - Why not mail one big envelope to one "point person" in the US with all the cards for the US folks addressed and ready to go inside? If you did that, you'd just have to pay the expensive postage for one, and then the "point person" here could put US stamps on the others, and you'd just have to reimburse the "point person" 37 cents for each one inside the envelope!

It'd be almost no work for the "point person" - just taking them out of the envelope, putting stamps on, then mailing! No one would get the European postmark, but they'd get your card, greetings, pictures, whatever!

Nomilynn
09-18-2002, 09:41 PM
I may be very dense, but I don't really understand Karen's post.. do you mean that we would all mail our cards to one person and that person would have to put them in a big envelope and mail them, and they would have to pay the european postage? Please correct me if I'm wrong. :) I wouldn't mind ecards and regular cards anyway, but then again I haven't yet seen the list! :eek: :D

Karen
09-18-2002, 10:11 PM
No, no. Say you are in Germany, and you want to mail cards to 25 American addresses. But she posted that it would cost 1,53 Euro each, so that times 25 would be $38,25 Euros! But if she put them all in one big envelope and sent them say, to me, it might cost her 3,00 Euros because it would be a bigger envelope (just guessing) but then it would cost just an additional $9.25 US to send them out once they got to the US, so (if we're pretending 1 Euro = $1 just for simplicities sake) she'd save $26 and still reach 25 people.

Did that make it more confusing or less confusing?

Nomilynn
09-18-2002, 10:15 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH.... that makes a lot more sense! so the point person would collect many envelopes :D That's a great idea, Karen! Thanks for clearing that up.

December is a really busy month for me so I couldn't be a point person :( But I definatley want to participate in the card exchange :D

Karen
09-18-2002, 10:26 PM
I might know someone (retired) who could be a "point-person" if no one here could ... but that's a ways away - it IS still September! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
09-18-2002, 10:50 PM
I'd also love to receive real cards and e-cards. I wasn't here last year so I don't know much about this. December is also a very busy month for me at work so the sooner that we start this the better. :D

koxka
09-19-2002, 01:31 AM
Karen,I think you explained it quite clear. Anyway we have to arrange a POINT PERSON here in Europe, and see what country is cheaper to forward the mail to the USA if Spain or Netherlans o wherever.
I willingly do the job and gess that Sirocco too.

And for the money is quite expensive to send moneny away, especially such little quantities.Could we arrage among us (european's ones) and just insert a Travel Check inside the envelope? (certified mail).

Karen, the mail is very busy around Decembre, the early we start the better, to send packets overseas sometimes it takes a month or so (it's my experiece), via UPS or FeedEx is quickier,also more expensive.

Anna (AKA Koxka's Human)

PS: Nicole you will get the most beautiul xcard from me, even if you lived in the moon...

C.C.'s Mom
09-19-2002, 05:06 AM
I'm a bit slow (blonde....) and I completely forgot: I'm going to the US in December, so for my cards there won't be a problem.

I think the idea is very good, for collecting and sending the cards to one person. It'll save us Europeans quite some money.

If you want me to post in the US, let me know! I'm going around the second week of December.

Former User
09-19-2002, 06:16 AM
I won't be having that many cards, so I can send them from here, will be more expencive to start sending the money/check in the mail. So you can count me out from that "mass mailing".

Miss Meow
09-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by koxka
Anna (AKA Koxka's Human)

PS: Nicole you will get the most beautiul xcard from me, even if you lived in the moon...

Awwwwww ... <<blush>> :D

From December, I will harass my postman until he presents your beautiful card to me, and I will then be happy!!!

Rottieluver45
09-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I think when we organize all of this, the information we email to the appointed person should be this:

Name
Address
Email Address
Pet Talk ID
Pets names and breeds

That way you can send real cards to some, and e-cards to others, as long as you send something to everyone!! :) I'm going to be sending snail mail cards to as many as I can afford, because I like them better. :D

So these are`nt gonna be e-cards? I`m confused!

Karen
09-19-2002, 10:31 PM
I think there will be both an e-card list AND a "snail mail" card list, so those who want to participate either way, can.

And as far as the "money" I'm sure we'd be able to figure out whether a traveler's check, a Catalonian trinket or whatever way is cheapest and easiest for the designated "point person" to do!

koxka
09-20-2002, 01:13 AM
What's a catalonian trinket???

NoahsMommy
09-20-2002, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't mind being the "POINT PERSON" here....just let me know. :)

lbaker
09-20-2002, 12:36 PM
I still have my list from last year but I know several addresses have changed so a new list (with some new friends)is a great idea. It wasn't a huge list and I enjoyed sending AND receiving. Except for receiving one back as "undeliverable" :rolleyes: ahem.....:p but we won't embarrass anyone here :o Being able to match real names with PetTalk names and Pet names was terrific... count me in. Laurie

zippy-kat
09-20-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
...Except for receiving one back as "undeliverable" :rolleyes: ahem.....:p but we won't embarrass anyone here

*snicker, snicker*
I know who that would be! ;)

(And don't worry, I won't tell a soul, Aly....lol)http://smilies.uniquehardware.co.uk/otn/angels/newangel.gif

wolflady
09-20-2002, 05:54 PM
I'm all giddy about this!! When should we start sending in our names and addresses?? :D :D

NoahsMommy
09-20-2002, 06:04 PM
I'm all giddy about this!! When should we start sending in our names and addresses?? :D :D

Now??

hee hee! I am all excited too Karen!! :D

Karen
09-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by koxka
What's a catalonian trinket???

I was just teasing - something small and local that you could send as something from Catalonia in lieu of actual money! Some people might find that more interesting than check! ;)

shais_mom
09-20-2002, 11:45 PM
For those of you that are overseas, I would be more than happy to receive an ecard. I love ecards also!!!! ;)

aly
09-21-2002, 12:42 AM
:o :o I had just moved!!!! And umm... my fingers slipped while typing the address... uhh yeah thats it!! :D

zippy-kat
09-21-2002, 01:05 AM

Sure! Send 'em now if you want! I won't distribute the list until closer time, but go ahead and send me your name/address if you want to participate in the one for "REAL" cards (thru the mail).

You can PM ~or~ email the addresses to me. However, if you send it via email, please be sure to include your PT nickname!

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-21-2002, 01:17 AM
HA!
I just found this thread and I want to be counted in too!! I loooove getting christmas cards... e-cards or real cards... I will pm you my addresses Zippy!:D

aly
09-21-2002, 01:51 AM
So this year are a lot of people just going to pick and choose who to send the cards to from the list? I sent cards to everyone on the list last year and thought that worked great. But if most people seem to want to just send them to their close friends, is that what we're doing? :confused:

Uabassoon
09-21-2002, 03:27 AM
I plan on sending to one to everyone on list that lives in the US. As for overseas since I'm not sure how much it would cost, I don't think I'll be able to send one to everyone. But it also depends on how many people from overseas are on the list.

Rottieluver45
09-21-2002, 10:07 AM
I want "snail mail" cards but I won`t be able to send anyone those kinds of cards but I will be able to send E-cards! Is that ok?

wolf_Q
09-21-2002, 10:25 AM
I think it should work this way. A snail-mail list, AND an e-card list. IF you sign up to the snail-mail list, you must send a card to EVERYONE on that list! That way you will receive a card from everyone too.

Works the same for the e-card, you sign up, you must send one to everyone on the list.

I plan on being a member of *both* lists.

Karen
09-21-2002, 10:34 AM
That sounds fair, though perhaps we can make exceptions for people from Europe or other places that have cost-prohibative postage rates.

Rottieluver45
09-21-2002, 11:00 AM
O...K...!! Darn I wanted a "snail mail" card!

How do we add our name to the e-card list?

Former User
09-21-2002, 12:55 PM
IF you sign up to the snail-mail list, you must send a card to EVERYONE on that list!

That's so unfair. And you can count me OUT then! There's no way I'll send a card to everyone on that list, geez, we are not millioners here.

I'll just email the closest ones to me and ask their snail mail addy.

Cookiebaker
09-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Casper & Kitty, That's why you sign up for e-card list if you can't afford it. But it's not fair to sign up for the list for everybody to send you a card and you not reciprocate!

Former User
09-21-2002, 01:25 PM
That's why I said I was out! I'm not going to participate in either of the lists. I'll send cards to those I want and can.

AmberLee
09-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45
...How do we add our name to the e-card list?

I missed a step... To whom do we send the info for the e-card list: Zippie-Kat or is she just doing the snail list? (Some of us need step-by-step instructions. ;) )

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this! :D

zippy-kat
09-21-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee

I missed a step... To whom do we send the info for the e-card list: Zippie-Kat or is she just doing the snail list? (Some of us need step-by-step instructions. ;) )

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this! :D

Lol...I'm kinda confused too...
I originally volunteered for the Snail-Mail list but I can do both lists if you guys want...

wolf_Q
09-21-2002, 03:42 PM
That's so unfair. And you can count me OUT then! There's no way I'll send a card to everyone on that list, geez, we are not millioners here.

I thought that was the original idea...it just got a bit confused in the middle here. That there are 2 lists, and if you sign up for either one, you send one to everyone on the list. It's not really fair to pick and choose. Some people might get all of the cards, and others might only get a few (even if they sent one to everyone). I don't see why you can't still be a member of the e-card list. How about this, Casper & Kitty, just don't have your name put on the snail mail list, but ask Zippy to send you the list. That way you can choose who you want to send them to, but you don't have to send one to everybody, and everybody doesn't have to send one to you. I don't know how to make everyone happy here. We still have a loooong time so hopefully we can work it out. I'm definitely not a millionaire either, I'm aware that it is expensive to mail things.

Rottieluver45
09-21-2002, 04:08 PM

How about this, Casper & Kitty, just don't have your name put on the snail mail list, but ask Zippy to send you the list. That way you can choose who you want to send them to, but you don't have to send one to everybody, and everybody doesn't have to send one to you. I don't know how to make everyone happy here. We still have a loooong time so hopefully we can work it out. I'm definitely not a millionaire either, I'm aware that it is expensive to mail things.

That`s a good way to work it out! I could keep a list of the people who are doing the e-card thing and just send it to the people who want it to e-mail each other! You know?:D :confused:

Nomilynn
09-21-2002, 07:10 PM
I would like to be on the snail mail list and the ecard list. I have no problems with the ecards because they are free, so whomever I'm supposed to contact for that I will anyway. However, with the snail mail, maybe people can send in addresses and when Zippy (or whoever) knows how many names there are we can decide if we want to be on the final list? Because if there ends up being hundreds of people on there I won't be able to afford it, but I will do it if it's around 75 or so. This may end up being too much work for the name collector, and if it is that's ok I'll just put my name on the snail mail list anyway and send more cards ;) I just thought this might make it easier for some people to decide if they would like to be on the snail mail or if they will be able to afford all the snail mailers.

What do you think?

Miss Meow
09-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea Nomilynn. Maybe we can see how many names are on the snail mail list, say in early November, and then decide if we all send to everybody, or as many as we can.

Almost everybody is overseas mail for me, which I don't mind at all and I'll send as many cards as I can, but I'll be out of a job in three weeks so I may have to budget :)

Rottieluver45
09-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Well,If it`s ok with Wolf Q People can start sending me their e-mail account names!!!

aly
09-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Last year I think we had around 30 or less names. 26 maybe? I don't remember exactly. I can't imagine having more than 50 people on it because a lot of people won't be doing it for one reason or another. So as far as money goes, we should be okay. Except the overseas ones, but Karen has solved that problem.

How about this, Casper & Kitty, just don't have your name put on the snail mail list, but ask Zippy to send you the list. That way you can choose who you want to send them to, but you don't have to send one to everybody, and everybody doesn't have to send one to you.

Brilliant idea. I think that will work wonderfully.

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2002, 11:55 PM
I don't want to get off the subject but I just have to say this " I love your new signature Aly." I already e-mailed Tonya(Zippykat) my address and I"ll be on both lists. I think that this will be a lot of fun. :D

Rottieluver45
09-22-2002, 12:05 AM
Krazyaboutkatz,send your e-mail adress to me!

gini
09-22-2002, 12:11 AM
If you didn't participate last year, you have no idea how much fun is ahead of you. Yes, it can be expensive......but you can also be selective, and everyone understands that money is tight and the economy not doing very well. Maybe some of you could "double up" on cards if you live in the same area. (just a thought). And a free "e-card" has no less meaning.

When I got my cards, I happily received many from close friends, and family, and then would come the surprise. A PET TALK CARD!

When I received a card from Sophie Bunny, I just hugged it........
it made you feel warm and fuzzy......just like Christmas!

Just a thought, but maybe we give someone names that end in A through H - and the next I through Q or something like that, so no one has a burden. I would be happy to help.

shais_mom
09-22-2002, 12:37 AM
I will send my email addy and my snail mail addy but I want to make it very clear to our PetTalkers across the ocean that I will not be sending them snail cards. I simply can't afford it. It cost me $2.00 last year to send a card to Canada and I got an ecard from that person. So please don't be offended. I certainly do not expect you to send me a snail mail card either due to cost prohibitive to you. I will send you ecards! Heck I will send you 2-3 to make up for not sending snail cards.

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 03:11 AM
It cost you $2.00 to send a card out of the U.S.?? Hmm that seems pretty high to me. I mailed a Pet Portrait, in a tube, which is a lot heavier then an envelope, to Switzerland, for around $2. My brother lived in Switzerland also, and we sent him tons of letters, and I don't remember any of them being horribly expensive. Of course, that was about 2 years ago, but I didn't think the mail rate has gone up *that* much. I'll have to go to the Post Office and ask or something.

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 03:22 AM
I'm wandering around the USPS website. I tried to figure out approx. how much it would be to mail a card to Canada. I put in a letter in an envelope, weighing 2 ounces (how much would a card weigh? I have no clue)...air mail, 2-7 days, no confirmations/insurance, for $0.85 Of course that's probably not real accurate. Just for grins, I might put a large card in an envelope, and go to the post office and ask how much it would be to mail it to different countries lol. I'm down there enough to mail stuff, they probably won't kill me for asking.

aly
09-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Here are the pics I sent in last years cards and my old Christmas sig!!! (Maybe it will lighten the mood)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/peecb359cd2be95f59aa40001cb598ef8/fd3f9ac0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p40c7700f1395caca3962476b52c1b0e9/fd3f9ac2.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p48c40ba638eee37df06e6b7d914c03a0/fd3f9abc.jpg

ellensy
09-22-2002, 11:53 AM
cool, Aly ;)

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2002, 04:48 PM
Great festive pics Aly. :D I'm trying to create some festive pics of my 3 cats too. :)

aly
09-22-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks :D I've been trying to come up with something to do for this year. Have an idea for Shiloh but don't know how well it will work, hehe.

shais_mom
09-22-2002, 07:15 PM
Well I wouldn't say it cost me $2.00 on the money. But it was pretty high. And the point was I got an ecard in return. Maybe they ran outta time, who knows.

I am not trying to be difficult or make a big deal out of b/c it isn't. But to save the hassle for people across the way, it will be much easier for me to send them ecards.

shais_mom
09-22-2002, 07:16 PM
Well I wouldn't say it cost me $2.00 on the money. But it was pretty high. And the point was I got an ecard in return. Maybe they ran outta time, who knows.

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2002, 10:59 PM
I plan on sending e-cards to people that are overseas and regular cards to people in the U.S. and Canada. I hope that it won't cost much to mail cards to Canada. Does anyone know what the rate is?

gini
09-22-2002, 11:06 PM
I have a cousin in Canada and I just mailed a letter and a card in a large envelope. It was over an ounce, but under two ounces. It cost .85 cents.

I think a card that weighs less than one ounce costs .60 cents to send from the states to Canada.

There is an (800) number you can call to get all of that info, such as how much would it cost to mail a card to Niina and Lut in Belgium.....the number is in my little office, but I could post it tomorrow for you.

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by gini
I have a cousin in Canada and I just mailed a letter and a card in a large envelope. It was over an ounce, but under two ounces. It cost .85 cents.

I think a card that weighs less than one ounce costs .60 cents to send from the states to Canada.

There is an (800) number you can call to get all of that info, such as how much would it cost to mail a card to Niina and Lut in Belgium.....the number is in my little office, but I could post it tomorrow for you. Thanks Gini. :)

Randi
10-04-2002, 08:41 AM
I came across this and thought it would be fun for you Americans to see! :)

Since July 1, 1863, letters sent to all parts of the United States have been charged at the same rate.

July 1, 1863 3 cents per 1/2 oz.
Oct. 1, 1883 2 cents per 1/2 oz.
July 1, 1885 2 cents per 1 oz.
Nov. 2, 1917 3 cents per 1 oz.*
July 1, 1919 2 cents per 1 oz.
July 6, 1932 3 cents per 1 oz.
Aug. 1, 1958 4 cents per 1 oz.
Jan. 7, 1963 5 cents per 1 oz.
Jan. 7, 1968 6 cents per 1 oz.
May 16, 1971 8 cents per 1 oz.
March 2, 1974 10 cents per 1 oz.
Dec. 31, 1975 13 cents for 1st oz.**
May 29, 1978 15 cents for 1st oz.
March 22, 1981 18 cents for 1st oz.
Nov. 1, 1981 20 cents for 1st oz.
Feb. 17, 1985 22 cents for 1st oz.
April 3, 1988 25 cents for 1st oz.
Feb. 3, 1991 29 cents for 1st oz.
Jan. 1, 1995 32 cents for 1st oz.
Jan. 10, 1999 33 cents for 1st oz.
Jan. 7, 2001 34 cents for 1st oz.
June 30, 2002 37 cents for 1st oz.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Like ShaisMom I would send a card to everyone in the United States and Canada, but I would not send them overseas because of the cost and I would not expect them to send one to me for the same reason. I think it's only fair if you sign up on the card list that you send cards to all, if not just do not go on the list and ask the people for their address and you can send them to whoever you want to send them to with no obligation. The same with the e.mail list.
It was a lot of fun last year and there weren't that many people and it was very simple, if you are on the list you send them, if you are not you send them to who you want to send them too.
Jackie

gini
10-04-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Randi
I came across this and thought it would be fun for you Americans to see! :)

Since July 1, 1863, letters sent to all parts of the United States have been charged at the same rate. .
June 30, 2002 37 cents for 1st oz.

Randi, thanks for posting this! I am a bookkeeper and my experience is that for a mere .37 cents you can mail something and it will arrive miles and miles away - the very next day!
I have mailed items at 5:30 PM and over and over again, they receive it in their morning mail.

We all complain about the increases - but it still is a great bargain!

krazyaboutkatz
10-04-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935
Like ShaisMom I would send a card to everyone in the United States and Canada, but I would not send them overseas because of the cost and I would not expect them to send one to me for the same reason. I think it's only fair if you sign up on the card list that you send cards to all, if not just do not go on the list and ask the people for their address and you can send them to whoever you want to send them to with no obligation. The same with the e.mail list.
It was a lot of fun last year and there weren't that many people and it was very simple, if you are on the list you send them, if you are not you send them to who you want to send them too.
Jackie This is what I plan on doing too. :D

Kfamr
10-05-2002, 09:23 AM
After BEGGING my mother, she finally gave up and let me last year. Each time Simba and I received a card, we basically did a little dance.LOl. I cried when i got Angel's. I still miss her alot. :(

oh well.

Me and Simba had a blast making the cards, and i'll do some more this year!

FloppsyLadySally54
10-05-2002, 10:28 AM
I would mail it only in US, not Canda, I have parents:( . They would let me, I just won't get cards for the rest of my friends hehe.. Anyway, I would mail them to the other countries and Canda, but gee, the adresses would confuse me. I don't care about price, but the adresses would be in other languages and stuff and I wouldn't understand..but I guess I will try..but hold on, where do we get the people's adresses?? LoL I'm still confused on where to get the list cause nobody told me I PMed Zippy so I hope I'm on it but can somebody tell me?? I want to do it but I don't know how to get the adresses.

Me and Simba had a blast making the cards, and i'll do some more this year!
I know, me and my pets are gunna have so much fun this year! :p

Former User
10-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally54
Anyway, I would mail them to the other countries and Canda, but gee, the adresses would confuse me. I don't care about price, but the adresses would be in other languages and stuff and I wouldn't understand..

If you just copy letter by letter the addresses that confuse you, you can't get it wrong. It's not like they speak a weird language in Canada, do they? And the alphabets are the same here in Europe (with few exceptions) than in US, so that's no problem either....

10-05-2002, 04:26 PM
oh my , it was fun going through all these replies !!
But isn't it about time to post here where we can send our address to ??
If I got it right , our address for snail mail goes to Zippie-kat
and the one for e-cards goes to Rottieluver .

Is this correct ??

I'm looking forward to do this ; I LOVE CHRISTMAS CARDS !!!!

Cinder & Smoke
10-05-2002, 06:29 PM
It cost you $2.00 to send a card out of the U.S.?? Hmm that seems pretty high to me...

A word of caution here...

The US Postal Service has a few "rules" that can result in some very *pricy* :eek: mailing costs.
Especially around the Holidays - they like to pull out their "Height to Width Ratio" guide and actually measure your envelopes!

There is a certain Height to Width RATIO - as well as minimum size - which an envelope must fall within in order to qualify for 'normal' postage rates. Many commercial cards do NOT fall within this 'normal' Height-Width Ratio and are charged a premium rate. And if it's just a fraction of an ounce too heavy - you'll pay extra again!

My old company bought Thousands of a commercial envelope (roughly 5" x 7") to use to mail stuff between offices... You guessed it! NOT within the proper H-W Ratio. And my Post Office spotted every one I ever tried to use - "Uh-Oh, Phreddie; you gotta pay EXTRA for that one!" :mad:

Suggestion: Take a sample of the Card, Envelope, and any included photos, to your Post Office and ask them to both weigh it and size check it - then give you a COST to Mail it. Do this before you buy a whole bunch of those cards... Might save an unpleasant :eek: surprize when you go to send the Big Pile just before the Holidays.

/s/ Phred

AmberLee
10-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
...Suggestion: Take a sample of the Card, Envelope, and any included photos, to your Post Office and ask them to both weigh it and size check it - then give you a COST to Mail it. Do this before you buy a whole bunch of those cards...

:o Excellent advice. I've fallen afoul of this one, too.

Edwina's Secretary
10-07-2002, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry to be so slow...but I would like to join in. I am confused though. I would like to send my address but am not sure to whom.

Also will include the caveat....I'm not fussy about rules...if you want to send one to me...by either method...that's wonderful....if not...that's okay too.

Nomilynn
10-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Sara,

Zippy is collecting snail mail addresses, and Rottie is collecting email addresses. So far that's been the consensus; at least that who I sent to! :eek: :D

jenluckenbach
10-07-2002, 03:16 PM
I think it is kind of childish to say "If you can't send to all, don't sent to any" That is what we did in kindergarten!! When you give (or send) a gift, you do it because you WANT to, not because you EXPECT anything in return. Am I right?? So why would a card be any different? For those of us that decide we can afford the postage, and that is what we enjoy, then we will do it. For those of us that find the monetary aspect a little frightening, we'll do our best to limit the number we send in the mail and send the rest e-mail. Why is that so hard!!! If I personnaly sent out 100 snail mail cards and only received 10 back BUT received 90 e-cards, I would NOT feel slighted in the least!! At least everyone on the list was remembered.
So with that said, if this can be worked out, then I'd love to participate.
Jen

NoahsMommy
10-07-2002, 03:42 PM
This will be a ton of fun!! Just wait until you all get your first....second.....third.....fourth.....etc. card in the mail or email! It's so great!

Thanks Zippy and Rottielover for helping coordinate this! :)

wolflady
10-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Me too!! This will be great! Heck, if I get the list early enough...I can just get a jumpstart writing all the cards out and putting the pictures in, in time to send them out in December! LOL LOL Should we go ahead and give our addresses now?

:)

Randi
10-07-2002, 03:54 PM
I'd like to join in and I must say that jenluckenbach's idea appeals to me! :) Let's see, there's still time to decide until the last posting date to either ZippyCat or Rottielover. :)

I'd like to send snail mail to some and e-cards to some - but I'd also like it to be a surprize. :D

Cincy'sMom
10-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I think it is kind of childish to say "If you can't send to all, don't sent to any" That is what we did in kindergarten!! When you give (or send) a gift, you do it because you WANT to, not because you EXPECT anything in return. Am I right?? So why would a card be any different? For those of us that decide we can afford the postage, and that is what we enjoy, then we will do it. For those of us that find the monetary aspect a little frightening, we'll do our best to limit the number we send in the mail and send the rest e-mail. Why is that so hard!!! If I personnaly sent out 100 snail mail cards and only received 10 back BUT received 90 e-cards, I would NOT feel slighted in the least!! At least everyone on the list was remembered.
So with that said, if this can be worked out, then I'd love to participate.
Jen

Well said!

Karen
10-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Perhaps if you are going to send some cards, but not all, you should be sure to send them early, so that those who are trying to conserve their finances will have yoyr return address there, and can wait a bit and decide.

I want everyone's address, but will promise to be happy no matter how many or few I get in return. (It'd be too much hassle to keep track otherwise anyway!) A hand-scrawled postcard is cheaper to buy and mail even than a regular Christmas card, so that could be another option for folks!

Rottieluver45
10-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Just to make Everything clear,I`m gonna collect the e-mail adresses and zippy`s gonna collect the snail mail things!

But I`m confused about something!
Do we HAVE to send a card to everyone on the snail mail list? or not?:confused: