PDA

View Full Version : Under Eye Dark Circles

ramanth
12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Been battling this for awhile now and decided to actually try something. Most eye creams state that they get rid of wrinkles and/or puffiness, which I don't have a problem with... yet. :rolleyes: ;)

But I found this Vita K Solution (http://www.amazon.com/Vita-k-Solutions-Circles-5-Ounce-Boxes/dp/B00138YNN8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1228274195&sr=1-2) that is just for dark circles.

Unfortunately, after a week of using the product, the area under my eyes is now dry, red, swollen, and burns. :(

So, my question is... is there anyone that uses a product for dark circles that works for them?

Do any of the products that claim to reduce wrinkles and puffiness also help with mild dark circles?

Thanks!

jennielynn1970
12-03-2008, 01:51 AM
I've been using Loreal Revitalift (I just checked the bottle). It's $$, and is in the bottle where the two lotions look like they are intertwining (like a DNA cell structure). One is for under eye dark circles, the other is for the puffy upper eye lid.

I love them, and it does work, however, my eyes get itchy from them. Not red and dry or anything, but more like an allergic reaction.

You can try Sephora's suggestions (http://www.sephora.com/browse/section.jhtml?categoryId=C9392&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-sc%20ss-_-S1228290615_ADOGOB_AGI1097002_CRE2051305847_TID105 010337_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20%3d) on their site

Medusa
12-03-2008, 06:46 AM
A little tip when using any eye cream: first put a dab on the back of your hand to warm it up a little. The skin under the eye is very thin and delicate and if the cream is cold, it stresses the skin when you apply it. Also, apply it w/your pinky finger and start at the outside of your eye and work inward by lightly dabbing it, not rubbing it, and not so closely that it touches your bottom eyelid. The heat of the skin under your eye will cause the lotion to radiate and spread w/out your having to do it. This may keep you from having any type of reaction.

I've read and heard dermatologists say that dark circles are hereditary and no cream or lotion can remove them but you can use a concealer. For puffiness, believe it or not, they said to use Preparation H. I know, I know, sounds ridiculous but if you think about what it's used for, then it makes sense. Just don't get it in your eyes. :)

beeniesmom
12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I hate dark circles.
My hubby said that when I turned 30 I 'magically' got them.
I've had them for 2 years now and can't find a solution either. :(

carole
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree with Medusa, they are hereditary in some cases, sometimes it is allergys, sometimes something else,but mostly hereditary, my husband has them really bad, looks like someone punched him in both eyes, but as he wears glasses that hides them, my daughter has them a little too, but not too badly, but they show up when she is tired or sick mostly,and most of my husbands family have them, also my son's girlfriend has them and hates them, i am sorry i do not know of any product that really works, but concealer is the way to go, i use one from avon, and it works well, although i don't have the dark circles, it is good for all sorts of other things you wish to hide, good luck with your search.:)

Twisterdog
12-03-2008, 12:56 PM
My sister has dark circles under her eyes, so does my mom and my grandma. I, fortunately, was spared.

My sister asked her doctor what she could do, and he told her it was a hereditary condition and nothing would help.

Sorry, I'm sure that wasn't what you wanted to hear ... but my sister was actually kind of relieved to know there was nothing out there to buy for it, so she could quit wasting her money.

lizbud
12-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't get dark circles unless I'm very sick, but doesn't makeup cover
them?

Karen
12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I never knew allergies could cause dark circles under the eyes until a few years ago when my allergist wanted to retest my allergies so I had to stop all my antihistamines for 24 hours. "Good gracious," said Dr. Ann, "she looks like she's got two black eyes, poor thing, Justi, look what we've done to her!" I hadn't even seen a mirror or payed enough attention to notice. But Kimmie, I guess we pale white girls just show them up better, too. Good luck on finding something to cover them up, I would never dare, as I am horribly allergic to almost all make-up - yes, even Clinique!

ramanth
12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I do wear concealer and makeup, but late in the evening, I'm constantly told how tired I look. :(

During the day the circles are either non-existant or not too bad, unless I'm extremely exhausted. I've been getting 7-8 hours of sleep, but my guess is that it's not a restfull sleep. (We're getting a new mattress for Christmas)

I'm pretty sure that my situation is less heriditary and more fatigue based.

Of course now I have red circles under my eyes. :eek: :p

Catty1
12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Water. Drink more water! It has really helped me - and lately, good nutrition has helped even more.

More water will help clean out - detox - your system, and lessen the dark stuff.

ramanth
12-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I drink mostly water. Juice in the morning or during lunch. I carry my water bottle everywhere. Haven't had a soda or coffee in months. :)

That alone has definitely improved my complexion overall. Just not the dark circles late in the evening.

lizbud
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I hate to sound like your mom, but have you seen a DR lately? You might
be anemic.

Marigold2
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I work for an ophthomologist and a facial plastic surgeon. Dark circles are caused by a number of factors. Smoking, drinking, not getting enough sleep etc. There are several ways to get rid of them lasers work as do bleaching creams, which you need to use for several months before you really see results. Many dark circles are caused by thin skin and blood vessels close to the surface of skin. There is another product called Kinerase. They have two different lines a blue label line and a purple label line. The purple line can only be bought at a Dr's office. They do work but are expenise as is the bleaching cream. Your best bet is to go to a facial plastic surgeron or a dematologist that offer lasers. Good luck

carole
12-03-2008, 08:19 PM
well neither my husband or daughter drink or smoke, it is hereditary in their case.

ramanth
12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Saw the doctor last month when I was under the weather. :)

Actually, when I was suffering from fatigue back on '06, they tested for anemia and it came back negative.

Laura's Babies
12-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I have had them all my life and passed them on to my daughter. Mine are noticable and really dark and always there. Nothing I could do would get rid of them and make up just made them looks 10 times worse so I just wore my dark circles with pride.

moosmom
12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Have them too. I also passed them onto my daughter. I'm fortunate in that my glasses hide them. I get rid of my samsonites by putting, and I KNOW you're going to laugh...PREPARATION H under my eyes. Hey, models use it all the time. And it DOES SHRINK hemorrhoids.

I don't know of anything on the market that takes the darkness away.

prechrswife
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I have the hereditary circles, too. I got them from my mom and even my little Katherine has inherited them. I just use concealer and go with it. Not much else can be done.