PDA

View Full Version : You know you're too emotional when....

catnapper
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
You sit in a doctor's office BAWLING over the fact that your new medicine interacts with grapefruit.

I'm switching meds again. This new med can not be taken with grapfruit. I eat a grapefruit every night. Its one of my nightly rituals where I relax and wind down. I had no idea how much I enjoyed this ritual until I heard I can't have it any more. So I sat and cried like a baby.

Then I went to work, laughing with my coworkers at my stupid over-reaction.... and proceeded to cry during my retelling of the tale. :rolleyes:

Sooooooo.... what am I to replace my nightly retual with? Oranges? Grapes (hey, its half the name of the fruit I can't have!) Oh goodness... nothing will match grapefruit. Its a wonderfruit. Antioxidants, lowers blood sugar, raises metabolism, all sorts of good things in one wonderful fruit.

Karen
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Try oranges! Or is all citrus forbidden?

Hellow
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Grapes pwn. They have natural sugar in them also, so they satisfy your sweet tooth (partially...). I eat grapes often, normally after I get home from school and my stomach feels like it wants to rumble its way out of my abdomen...

catnapper
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Try oranges! Or is all citrus forbidden?

Oranges ar e approved. I asked. It just isn't the same. I love the sour tartness of grapfruit. Sigh

Karen
12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Oranges ar e approved. I asked. It just isn't the same. I love the sour tartness of grapfruit. Sigh

Hmmm, maybe it's time to experiment in the produce department. Pomegranate perhaps? It's labor-intensive and satisfying to pop out each individual jewel of the good stuff?

All citrus is pretty much off-limit for me, as I have become allergic to everything but lime. And I limit how much lime I ingest, just in case.

catnapper
12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, maybe it's time to experiment in the produce department. Pomegranate perhaps? It's labor-intensive and satisfying to pop out each individual jewel of the good stuff?

All citrus is pretty much off-limit for me, as I have become allergic to everything but lime. And I limit how much lime I ingest, just in case.

Hmmm, maybe I'll like the pomegrante because thats what I enjoy about the grapefruit because its so labor intensive. I peel the grapefruit like an orange then peel it out of hte indiviual skins like you get thsoe little tangerine slices from a can. I peel for about 20 mintues then make a big pile of grapefruit. I eat it only after its all been peeled.

jennielynn1970
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I can't have them either, it's from my cholesterol medicine. I love grapefruits too, and miss them!

Get some clementines, they're good right now!

Shelteez2
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I was going to suggest pomegranates too. They are very good for you. And I believe they can be tart? It's been a very long time since I've had one though.

K9karen
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM

I feel your pain. Not that I eat grapefruits often (I just forget to buy them actually), but to be strictly forbidden to eat a favorite food, to me, is beyond devastating. Especially when it's something in which you find comfort.

*Rocks you with your head on my shoulder*

{HUGS}

Lilith Cherry
12-01-2008, 11:32 PM
If it is the tartness you enjoy, look for seville oranges ( marmalade is made from them) . I hope you can find something you enjoy to substitute for grapefruit.

AdoreMyDogs
12-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I feel your pain :( I can't imagine not having my grapefruits, which I share with my daughter and we both love them equally as much. I'm so sorry :( I know I am pregnant so I'm emotional anyway because of it, but I got teary-eyed reading your post. I can totally feel your pain. I would have cried too had I been hit with that same news.

Cookiebaker
12-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Awww, Kim that is really sad, and I feel so sad for you especially when its your comfort food. :( I hope you can find a good substitute and a way to wind down again. I completely understand why you would have sat there and cried...I would have too.

Freedom
12-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Yup, no grapefruit allowed on my cholesterol med either.

I was going to suggest pomegranates, I LOVE them! They are in the stores just now, not sure if they are available year round.

kuhio98
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Not a fan of grapefruit, but I feel your pain. I :love::love::love::love: citrus. I've even been known to bite into a lemon. :eek:

I saw a lady on Oprah a few years ago who said she had conceived all 3 of her children while on the birth control pill. Turns out she was washing it down with grapefruit juice. It evidently neutralizes a lot of medicines. :eek:

jennielynn1970
12-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Kim, see if any of the citrus fruits listed here (http://www.foodsubs.com/Fruitcit.html) would be an alternative to your beloved grapefruit.

The pomelo looks like it might be a good alternative, or the Ugli fruit.

Freedom
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
If you do get pomegranate, beware, the juice will stain almost instantly! Your clothes, tablecloth, anything it lands on. Thought I'd mention that.

catnapper
12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I told my mom today about my teary reaction. She started laughing and then explained she intended to buy me a case of grapfruit for Christmas. Can you imagine opening it Christmas afternoon? I'd have certainly started bawling.... to a bunch of confusion on my parent's part. LOL My mom is a wonderful woman and I thought the grapfruit gift would have been AWESOME if I could still eat them :p

Freedom
12-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow, good thing you mentioned it to her!

NOW, she is going to have to hunt for a gift for you! Start hinting. ;)

joycenalex
12-05-2008, 05:31 AM
[QUOTE..... I love the sour tartness ....maybe cranberries (fresh or frozen or dried) and orange sections? tart and citrus together.