PDA

View Full Version : SQUAAAAAAWWWK!!! Bumpy Egg!

Catty1
12-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I get my eggs from a couple at church who raise chickens for eggs. They are free range and really fresh!

Lately they gave me a dozen "irregulars" - slightly different sizes, and one BUMPY egg!

I love it. I told them I took pictures of it, and here it is. (They wanted pics, so will send them along shortly).

Karen
12-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Did they explain what could cause an egg to be bumpy like that?

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
That's an EGG ???

Cook with caution ...

Looks more like a well petrified Road Apple from the south end of a horse!

:eek:
:p
:rolleyes:

Catty1
12-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Karen, it happens not infrequently. The bumpy ones don't make it to market.

This couple also had an egg laid that was about 3" long and narrow. They mounted it in a gift shadow box and gave it as a gift.

"real eggs" can be really weird. In Ontario a friend of mine had REAL free range eggs....chickens ran all over her rough country yard. The eggs were spotty blue, huge, small, etc.!

Karen
12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I have seen plenty of 'real eggs' but never one like that. Slightly misshapen, sure, and many shades and colors, but never one like that. I still wonder what causes that bumpiness - too much calcium in the diet? Intestinal distress?

Taz_Zoee
12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Growing up we always had chickens and fresh eggs. But I don't recall EVER seeing one like that! Now the second set of pix you posted is more what I'm used to. LOL
That first one almost looks like it didn't have a shell at all and the lining hardened or something. WEIRD!! :)

Hellow
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Thats a egg? It looks more like a meatball than a egg...
Anyways, I would not be able to cook it because it looks so cool xD.

Twisterdog
12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Ewww ... that's kind of gross looking, actually. I could not eat that, I would wonder if something was wrong with it.

My grandma had hundreds of chickens, and I always gathered the eggs. They were indeed many different colors, shapes and patterns ... but I've never seen anything like that.

jennielynn1970
12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
We had chickens growing up. I've seen eggs that were bumpy like that. It's from a chicken that is at the end of it's laying period, and from a soft shell initially, which means it's food intake was less than satisfactory. It didn't have enough of the nutrients that make the shells hard.

If you ever get eggs from the store and eggs from a farm, you can tell which are which. Normally shells from farms (where chickens aren't raised in cages and that kind of thing) are much harder. They're normally harder to crack. Did you ever notice the number of "spots" in the farm eggs as well? Those are because the chickens are more mobile and they run around and all that good stuff and they create more blood spots in them. They freak me out, and I always scoop them out, but I still always get free range eggs from the farm up at my mom and dad's house (we don't have chickens any longer).

Different colors are from different breeds of chickens as well.

kitten645
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow I love this thread! I've recently converted to organic eggs. I must admit that the bumpy one would have ended up in the trash for me :eek: Freaked me out. I love hearing about the chickens that lay them. I get mine from the farmers market. I love talking to the lady who sells them. I always ask her for the weird ones..diffrent colors and sizes. She told me last week that the chicken that lay the green ones were the craziest! LOL! :D

Catty1
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
It was yummy and no different in taste from the rest - the shell was hard.

It's wet cause I had just put it in with two others to boil, and I thought - "Wait! Gotta take a pic!" :D

Lilith Cherry
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I buy my eggs from a neighbour when I am home in Ontario and they are always interesting colours and shapes besides tasting wonderful . Country living has its advantages.

Here in China people like the shells the shell to be very white and the brown and speckled ones actually sell for less here! In the market they have a light bulb to let you test for freshness as there are no regulations and sometimes you get one that is rotten and stinking ..yuck! I love eggs and eat them every day!

Freedom
12-02-2008, 08:44 AM
I thought you had snuck in a photo of a walnut on us!:D

Husky_mom
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I too have seen my share of eggs... but that one is just WOW.. too weird... never nin my life I´ve seen one like that... perhaps critercrazy can give us her opinion and/or share it in her fowl forum and find an answer as to why does this happens...:confused:

poor hen... :p

pitc9
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I thought you had snuck in a photo of a walnut on us!:D

That's what I though as well!!

I could not have eaten it.:o