PDA

View Full Version : A few new Pet Talk features - updates added

Paul
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
   Early this morning we upgraded vBulletin, the software that runs Pet Talk, to take advantage of the numerous security patches. Hopefully, this will help keep Pet Talk safe from spammers and hackers.

This new software also adds a few new features like user created photo albums, message tagging and social bookmarking. I will turn on the social bookmarking feature so that we may try it out. If it is too annoying we will turn it off.

Paul

Husky_mom
12-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I had seen the tags... and wondered if they were there before :p ...

the social bookmarking.. what´s that about?.. how does it work?...

did you checked out the photo autoresizer I mentioned before?...

Karen
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Yay, colors works again!

Husky_mom
12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I just added a group.. but have no clue how to "advertise" it... or how do people see it

Karen
12-01-2008, 01:22 PM
We are new to the "group" feature, and are not sure whether we will keep it yet. It might be like cliques at school - and we wouldn't want people to feel left out ...

No, I don't know yet how to advertise a group! Please bear with us as we explore this upgrade!

Randi
12-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Husky mom, I saw your "group". And I added one just to test this out. It's fun! :D

I also tried to upload a picture to my group, but no luck yet. Not sure I'm doing it right, though.

Taz_Zoee
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Ok, this all sounds like you guys are speaking a different language. Please explain groups and tags. I don't get it. :confused:
(Keep in mind this is the ONLY forum I've ever been a part of, so I don't know some things.:))

Husky_mom
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Ok, this all sounds like you guys are speaking a different language. Please explain groups and tags. I don't get it. :confused:
(Keep in mind this is the ONLY forum I've ever been a part of, so I don't know some things.:))

the tags are just like the ones you could use in photobucket or facebook....

when you post a thread you can add... cat, taz, paizly, portrait, etc.. or dog, taggart, zoee, park

Husky_mom
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
have you checked your profiles.. theya re kinda neat.. I´ve seen this structure in a bird forum and thought was neat...

Randi
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I figured out how to add pics in a group... once you have created an album and uploaded some to that, you can get the url from there. :cool:

Taz Zoee, check out faq's! ;) (http://petoftheday.com/talk/member.php?u=18339)
(http://petoftheday.com/talk/member.php?u=18339)

shepgirl
12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Hmmm...don't use photobucket or facebook although I've heard people mention the names. Guess I might check it out, time consuming is it?

Husky_mom
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
ever used youtube?.. you can use tags there too...

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
This new software also adds a few new features
like user created photo albums,
message tagging and
social bookmarking.

I will turn on the social bookmarking feature so that we may try it out.
Paul

< deep sigh >

I dunno, but maybe a paragraph or two - or a least a couple of
complete sentences
about WHAT a feature is supposed to do or accomplish,
and a brief TUTORIAL on just How to DO it / USE it -
would sure be nice!! :)

Referencing a "similar feature" on some other web site doesn't help much if
you don't frequent the referenced web site.

"My Group" already smacks of cliques starting ... NOT a good thing! :(

Karen
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
We are still figuring out much of this as we go along. We hope others will also post as they find new things. This thread, for example, has a teeny blue "tag" icon to the far right of the box the thread title is in when you see the thread listed in the forum. That means someone has entered "tags" for this thread.

Karen
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Another difference is the way attachments are displayed. Now, instead of taking you to a new window with just the full-size image, the software opens the picture in a new box, but keeps the thread open behind it, just greyed out darker. I like this, and think it is easier to understand, as I know sometimes people got confused with the old method. What do people think?

See the We caught a Moose (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=148643) thread for reference - she has four attachments in the first post.

Karen
12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Another new feature is that users can create albums of pictures, right here on Pet Talk! I created one - you can see it if you view my profile page, as I made it public. There are some limitations - it asks that you keep images to 600 pixels square, but this is a new way for people who don't have a photobucket account, for example to post images. When you view the album, it shows you the code you can use to post the image.

For example, this one:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=20

is an image from my album. It's a lovely blue heron we spotted one day just hanging out - and fishing - at a little cache pond in a shopping center.

It says that it will automatically resize images that are too big "but you may have better results if you do it yourself."

Hellow
12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Thank God, Pet Talk is finally equivalent to the Ubuntu Forums...
Did you guys implement the ability to change picture dimensions with the tag like I demonstrated in a thread in this same forum?

Killearn Kitties
12-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Is this a good place to apologise for all the "friendship requests" I think I may have just sent out? :o I was poking around the new "Incoming friend requests" page which seemed to be all the people that were on some list before - you know the one that made people appear with a cross after their name? I remember adding the people I first met here to that list, and the people who posted a message when my Mum's Cat became Cat of the Day. I was trying to see what it did, but forgot all about it after I realised it didn't do very much.

So now I seem to have sent friendship requests to heaps of people, and loads of them don't even come to PT any more. That is going to cause them a bit of confusion if they get a notification through their email. :D

lizbud
12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Is this a good place to apologise for all the "friendship requests" I think I may have just sent out? :o I was poking around the new "Incoming friend requests" page which seemed to be all the people that were on some list before - you know the one that made people appear with a cross after their name? I remember adding the people I first met here to that list, and the people who posted a message when my Mum's Cat became Cat of the Day. I was trying to see what it did, but forgot all about it after I realised it didn't do very much.

So now I seem to have sent friendship requests to heaps of people, and loads of them don't even come to PT any more. That is going to cause them a bit of confusion if they get a notification through their email. :D

So that's what that is. :D I received a notification but don't have a clue
on what to do with it.

Randi
12-02-2008, 10:34 AM
KK, no need for excuses. :D It's a bit confusing for all of us. The contact/friend list has obviously replaced the Buddy list, as it's the same names that popped up on my new list. I suppose you can check the little boxes in the right side for the ones you have frequent contact with and you consider friends. :)

Liz, just click on it, and you will see!

Karen, I really like the album feature, now no one has excuses for not showing their pets here - even if they don't have a Photobucket account. It will so easy to show a group of pictures that belong together.

Have not tried to attach anything yet, but saw the example you posted, it looks good. :)

I like that it will be easier to find things, as the search feauture doesn't always work so well. I suppose when you post a new thread, you make the tag that's related to that thread?

Karen
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I like that it will be easier to find things, as the search feauture doesn't always work so well. I suppose when you post a new thread, you make the tag that's related to that thread?

Yes, when you make a new thread, add tags!

Barbara
12-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Did the same- and now you are my friend officially (you have been before as well;))

Husky_mom
12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
isn´t it fun to play with new stuff?... I´ve been messing around but still have things to figure out hehe....

momoffuzzyfaces
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Once again I feel like I'm lost on a strange planet where they speak a totally different language. I don't understand anything that is being said. Think I'll go take a nap. :(

lvpets2002
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
:) Hey all looks good to me.. I just love the videos.. Many Thanks Paul & Karen..

Killearn Kitties
12-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Once again I feel like I'm lost on a strange planet where they speak a totally different language. I don't understand anything that is being said. Think I'll go take a nap. :(

MOFF, you must have received one of the requests I sent too, because you were on the list of people who posted a message eons ago when my mum's cat was Cat of the Day. All you have to do is find it. :D You know the link that used to take you to your Private Messages? It is now "Your Notifications", and there are lots of different places under there as well as your PM's.

Have a look.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2008, 06:53 AM
MOFF, you must have received one of the requests I sent too, because you were on the list of people who posted a message eons ago when my mum's cat was Cat of the Day. All you have to do is find it. :D You know the link that used to take you to your Private Messages? It is now "Your Notifications", and there are lots of different places under there as well as your PM's.

Have a look.

I just found it. I clicked accept and save changes but nothing happened. Did you get a message or anything? It still shows just like it did when it came in and as a new request. :(

Barbara
12-03-2008, 07:00 AM
I just found it. I clicked accept and save changes but nothing happened. Did you get a message or anything? It still shows just like it did when it came in and as a new request. :(

On tope of the avatar box there is a little box which you have to tick before you say accept and save changes.
I agree with you- it's all very weird for me and I am glad that Freckles started that other thread asking what tags are;)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2008, 07:39 AM
On tope of the avatar box there is a little box which you have to tick before you say accept and save changes.
I agree with you- it's all very weird for me and I am glad that Freckles started that other thread asking what tags are;)

Thanks Barbara! I finally found it. Heaven only knows what I sent Killearn Kitties though! :D

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Ok, now a question about the albums: how do you resize the pics to 600 pixels? :)

Karen
12-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok, now a question about the albums: how do you resize the pics to 600 pixels? :)

If you have photo editing software on your computer, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, the software will do it for you. What program do you use to look at pictures on your computer?

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
If you have photo editing software on your computer, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, the software will do it for you. What program do you use to look at pictures on your computer?

I just use my Kodak easy share program. It does the sizing for emails but I can't resize pics myself on it.

Oh, and about the friend option: when I get a message from someone wanting to be my friend and I click on the box and add them to my list, are they notified or do I need to send them a request to be my friend too? Sorry to be so dumb!

Randi
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Moff, the easiest way is to just click on your name underlined, then Profile - you'll get the window that shows who are on your list as friends. :)

It seems you don't have to request anything yourself. :D

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Moff, the easiest way is to just click on your name underlined, then Profile - you'll get the window that shows who are on your list as friends. :)

It seems you don't have to request anything yourself. :D

So, when someone asks to be my friend, I don't have to ask them to be mine back? right? :confused::)

Randi
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
That's right! :D Click on your name, and then profile, and you'll see!

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2008, 12:52 PM
That's right! :D Click on your name, and then profile, and you'll see!

I see that they are on mine but am I on theirs? :confused: ;)

Randi
12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Moff, you can check that the same way. ;)

Karen
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Another thing that has been added to everyone's profile is your "Visitor Message" which people may want to fill out. This is a message that people who are not registered for Pet Talk, or are not logged in will see.

If you click on my profile, you will see mine for an example. Everyone can fill out thier own message that they would want a lurker to see, maybe includng what pets you have, things like that! You can also leave someone messages on thir "visitor message" page, but I believe that message is public, so don't leave anything you wouldn't want a stranger to see.

RICHARD
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
While things were happening at home I log into PT for a few days.

I did notice that Mr Evil a.k.a. Edward had walked across the keyboard a few times and thought that all the added features were HIS FAULT!!!!!

Now I know who to blame!;):D

They are pretty neat! It's a learning curve for everyone!

Sorry, Edward!:o